Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
As far as Vlaada games go, how good is Travel Blog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

mikeycp posted:

Travel Blog is a great, extremely light party game. Anyone can learn and play it, and it plays well.

Do not expect depth*, but do expect quality.

In other words, it's on par with his other designs (albeit a little simpler!).

*EDIT: I guess I mean "weight" more than "depth," but you know what I mean. There's a surprising amount of depth for how simple the game is. It's not going to be your grand strategy game purchase is all.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 30, 2012

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
How is Campaign Manager 2008? I already have 1960 if that makes a difference and if it's more of the same.

From that Tanga sale, I'm also looking at Golden Cities, Travel Blog, Cities, and The Swarm. Any of those absolute stinkers?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Flaky Biscuit posted:

Can we get a link to where to buy them? Eclipse would be so much easier to play if those cubes didn't go sliding all over the place.

http://www.beklaser.com/en/6-eclipse

I haven't even played a game yet so I'm holding off. It's a one man company so expect them to take a couple of months to come.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aerox posted:

My dad just emailed me this -- a website called Tanga is having a huge board game sale.

Tanga is always having a huge boardgame sale. They're a remainders site, so most of what they sell is crap that wouldn't sell at all. Sometimes demand is overestimated on something decent, though.

The only things I'd look at on their list are War of the Ring 2E for $53 and the Z-Man card games (Grave Robbers From Outer Space and Bell-Bottomed Badasses), which aren't funny enough to live out more than one or two plays but only cost three bucks each.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

modig posted:

I started taking pictures of our Risk Legacay board after each game, hoping it would make for a cool series. Here is the finishes product, the story of our world. I think it would be a great way to write a review of the game, if it weren't for the fact that it is full of spoilers by it's nature.

In terms of getting dice hosed, the first {and last} time I ever played risk, was my friend versus myself sitting on the border of america with the entirety of our forces brought to bare. His 400 or so dudes (Literally had to use that golden 100 unit dude, and another army to fit) versus my hundred or so dudes, and spending a good 30 minutes rolling enough dice to determine who would win, I lost but still reduced him to 100 dudes so wasn't a terrible victory. When you are that loving tired of risk at midnight, why the gently caress you would stop ya know.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

In terms of getting dice hosed, the first {and last} time I ever played risk, was my friend versus myself sitting on the border of america with the entirety of our forces brought to bare. His 400 or so dudes (Literally had to use that golden 100 unit dude, and another army to fit) versus my hundred or so dudes, and spending a good 30 minutes rolling enough dice to determine who would win, I lost but still reduced him to 100 dudes so wasn't a terrible victory. When you are that loving tired of risk at midnight, why the gently caress you would stop ya know.

...did you guys have a six-hour "no rush" rule going on or something?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Rudy Riot posted:

How is Campaign Manager 2008? I already have 1960 if that makes a difference and if it's more of the same.

From that Tanga sale, I'm also looking at Golden Cities, Travel Blog, Cities, and The Swarm. Any of those absolute stinkers?

I got The Golden City off of Tanga recently and I don't think it's a stinker. It's not going to be a jewel of anyone's collection, but for the price Tanga is selling it, I think it's worthwhile. It's got an auction mechanic (which I'm a sucker for) and implements it in a way that keeps the auction fast. I would call it a solid B light game. There are a couple of official 2-player variants posted on BGG, too, if that matters.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

It sounds like you were playing Risk and not Risk Legacy. Also if you were playing RL you were playing it wrong.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Deviant posted:

It sounds like you were playing Risk and not Risk Legacy. Also if you were playing RL you were playing it wrong.

Yeah looks like it was vanilla Risk. Even if he was just playing regular Risk he was playing it wrong, by not deciding to stop playing 3 hours prior to then.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

bobvonunheil posted:

it was vanilla Risk.

A strange game.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Basically if you're playing Risk and it's not Legacy or 2210/Godstorm, you're doing it wrong.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

KamikazeJim posted:

Basically if you're playing Risk and it's not Legacy or 2210/Godstorm, you're doing it wrong.

It's been quite a while since I played Godstorm but I don't remember it being very good.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KamikazeJim posted:

To be fair, I've played 30 minute games with 4 players with black box. But as I understand it, Legacy is Black Box+ so. . .

The General
Mar 4, 2007

KamikazeJim posted:

Godstorm is worse than regular risk.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

KamikazeJim posted:

Lord of the Ring Risk is a playable variant as well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Rudy Riot posted:

It's okay I guess, but it's a very, very small and light game. You draft like 20 (IIRC) cards and keep shuffling them until you run out of swing states. It's fun to play once or twice, but honestly it feels like a deckbuilder without actual deck building. I'd recommend against it, but feel free to check it out yourself on yucata.de.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

modig posted:

Lord of the Ring Risk is a playable variant as well.

Agreed. I certainly feel like I'm having more fun if I'm storming Mordor as opposed to Australia.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I played a six player game of Zombicide last night, the first mission, it was actually really hard, but everyone seemed to have a good time.

We discovered that you should NOT open multiple buildings at once, we did that on the second turn and paid for it all night, and eventually we all died.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

A strange game.

I hear reports here of how long it lasts but I can't understand how. Our games were always below two hours, with anywhere from 4-6 people.

Do people not use the "ascending number of armies per card set" rule? Or do you not allow people to take the cards of a player they eliminated? I don't get it.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Android: Netrunner question: I've looked at FFG's core set list pdf and it lists Pad Campaign as a n upgrade card, not an asset. This must be a typo, yes? I can't find anything on BGG about it.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

ConorT posted:

Android: Netrunner question: I've looked at FFG's core set list pdf and it lists Pad Campaign as a n upgrade card, not an asset. This must be a typo, yes? I can't find anything on BGG about it.

If it says that, it's a typo. The card itself is an asset and says as such on the physical product.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kamikaze Raider posted:

If it says that, it's a typo. The card itself is an asset and says as such on the physical product.

Man, I wish it was an upgrade instead of an asset

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I've been really enjoying Netrunner of late and have taught it to 4 different people already. I just hope that other people are going to start buying their own copies so we can start building decks independently.

NBN was super fun to play after playing 5 games in a row as Jinteki though. I can see how badly Jinteki punish people who just waltz into their deck without properly preparing, but they're so passive comparatively.

[EDIT] Quick question: Can the Corp voluntarily trash ice? I've had situations where I put Chum in front of a data mine, then was left with Chum as the last ice on the server, which made that server literally more useless than starting a new server entirely.

[DOUBLE EDIT] And I've found my answer. Ice can be trashed when you install other ice, much like agendas/assets can be trashed when you install another agenda/asset. Or just play Security Subcontract.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 1, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You all know there's already an Android: Netrunner thread, right?

Also: I know there was a shogi thread on SA. Did it fall into archives, or are the classic games in another subforum?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 1, 2012

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I have a new love: Bohnanza. Lately my sister, our mum, and our partners have been playing it at our family dinners, and it is fantastic.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

mikeycp posted:

See my post here for my quick review/play report of Travel Blog.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really really enjoying Quarriors.

The only downside is that the games are so quick.

The upside is that the games are quick.

Conflicted. We even did the cull the die if you score with it rule, and it didn't seem to slow the game down much. Oh well, we're having a blast with it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Philthy posted:

Really really enjoying Quarriors.

The only downside is that the games are so quick.

The upside is that the games are quick.

Conflicted. We even did the cull the die if you score with it rule, and it didn't seem to slow the game down much. Oh well, we're having a blast with it.

I want to like Quarriors, but have always found it way way too long for what it is, especially since the way the dice change what they cost and do from game means you're constantly reading the cards to remember which incarnation they are. What am I doing wrong?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, that is the biggest complaint I have too. It will slow every game, I just deal with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Poopy Palpy posted:

I want to like Quarriors, but have always found it way way too long for what it is, especially since the way the dice change what they cost and do from game means you're constantly reading the cards to remember which incarnation they are. What am I doing wrong?

Haven't really run into that issue. We sort of just roll with looking over the cards before the game starts, and if someone has a question the dude closest to the card will summarize it, or someone else will just speak up and we continue. After playing dozens of games you sort of just get a feel for what all the cards do and it's pretty easy to follow.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Quarriors.. Nothing, that is the biggest complaint I have too. It will slow every game, I just deal with it.

We never had much luck with Quarriors. Our games always ended quickly; you always wanted the biggest monster, and whoever got one first usually won. People buying smaller stuff got a few points, but diluted their decks, thus less chance of getting the big monster, then became irrelevant once the big guys showed up. Combat was rare, and only did one thing: ensured the guy with the big monster finished winning.

The only thing we ever found valuable to buy were the few ramp spells (again, to get the biggest monster out).

Could be we just had bad luck with weird rolls, or that we got odd sets of monsters - but after a few rounds I couldn't get anyone to play it again (and we sold it).

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Quarriors is so much better playing with the 'advanced rules' where you have to trash what you score and you can buy two dice per turn. If it's too quick, it means you guys aren't worrying enough about creatures and spells that do mean things to other players. After the first couple of rounds, it should get tough to score unless people are just being polite or something(which is why 4 player games only require 12 points to win).
I love Quarriors because if you want to figure out the odds and try to optimize your dice pool, there is room for that, but it is also very quick to teach. 30 seconds of explanation, have the new person go last, and anyone who can play more complicated games is already up to speed by the time any decision matters much.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We've been culling creatures if we decide to score with them. We haven't done the 2 dice buys per turn, though. We thought that might speed it up even more, which we didn't want. We've run out of dice on 4 cards fairly quick before as well which instantly ends the game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Philthy posted:

We've been culling creatures if we decide to score with them. We haven't done the 2 dice buys per turn, though. We thought that might speed it up even more, which we didn't want. We've run out of dice on 4 cards fairly quick before as well which instantly ends the game.

It's only creature dice that end the game when they run out, BTW. Portals don't count, which is good because they always run out.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I picked up Yggdrasil over the weekend. It's a really elegant co-op game. Holy crap it's amazing. :stare:

I tried a few solo games, and failed miserably. Then, I played around four games with my friends, and they seem to really like it. If you're into solo or co-op, you should definitely check it out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What's it about? It looks interesting and I like the sound of it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yggdrasil's hard mode is also super-hard. You can really ramp the challenge up with it. My biggest complaint about it is that it really pushes quarterbacking because if everyone isn't on the same plan (weapon building splits/bag filtering and stocking/etc.) you will lose horribly and quickly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Dying horribly over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

thespaceinvader posted:

Basically, the players are all Norse gods trying to protect Odin's Residence from 6 other mythological creatures. You run around equipping weapons, searching for vikings to help you, and trying to knock the bad guys back. If too many of them get too close to Odin's Residence, you lose.

The mechanics behind it are really fun, but it's pretty nail-bitingly hard.

• Locked thread