Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Swords, not words!

If we bump into eachother at an event, by all means, let's have at it. Swordfish, by any chance?

Probably not, real life interferes with me travelling far for events. Hell, I haven't actually attended an event outside the city of Edinburgh yet.

I'm mainly in it for hitting mates with swords twice a week. If you ever happen to find yourself in Edinburgh however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
But..but..there can be only one.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I have a friend who is convinced that you can 100% teach yourself as good grappling from Marcelo Garcia and Eddie Bravo videos and rolling with buddies in your garage as you could get learning at a gym

He keeps arguing at me about it. It's really annoying. I don't actually care but every time I mention jits he starts ranting about how the gi is useless etc

Thoughts? I only have like 2 friends who are into jits and he's always keen for a roll so there's that

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just say "whatever" and don't engage him in conversation about it? Who cares what he thinks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

gimpsuitjones posted:

I have a friend who is convinced that you can 100% teach yourself as good grappling from Marcelo Garcia and Eddie Bravo videos and rolling with buddies in your garage as you could get learning at a gym

He keeps arguing at me about it. It's really annoying. I don't actually care but every time I mention jits he starts ranting about how the gi is useless etc

Thoughts? I only have like 2 friends who are into jits and he's always keen for a roll so there's that

just don't talk about that. With time you'll beat him more and more an eventually he'll probably understand by himself that getting a teacher is a good thing. You can make some progress by watching videos if you spend enough time rolling with people, but you'll plateau pretty fast.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
His argument is garbage, but his training isn't totally useless. The video systems available online are better than ever, and lots of guys are opting to learn from a video system and then travel to a facility for testing. He can learn a lot that way, and if he practices often enough and drills with specific attention to detail he can definitely continue to improve.

That being said, it'll never be "as good as" learning from an actual teacher and benefiting from the diversity of multiple sparring partners.

As for his "the gi is useless" argument, the next time he says that and he's wearing clothes just start grappling with him using the clothing as grips. When was the last time you were in a real life self-defense scenario where you weren't wearing clothing?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The only way to solve that is to Enter a tournament and see what happens. Odds are your friend will lose but if he's athletic maybe he'll do ok until blue belt where the lack of a coach and partners really starts to limit you.

As for gi or no gi who gives a poo poo. The best guys kick rear end in both which should make it obvious that it makes no real difference.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo Jr. posted:

His argument is garbage, but his training isn't totally useless. The video systems available online are better than ever, and lots of guys are opting to learn from a video system and then travel to a facility for testing. He can learn a lot that way, and if he practices often enough and drills with specific attention to detail he can definitely continue to improve.

:stare: Does this only apply to grappling and not striking then? I can't imagine even being in the same league (admittedly I've only been doing MT for a few months but still) without my instructors carefully showing me the intricacies of every technique than if I decided to start watching YouTube and just pick up some sweet clinchwork and Thai kicks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Israfel posted:

:stare: Does this only apply to grappling and not striking then? I can't imagine even being in the same league (admittedly I've only been doing MT for a few months but still) without my instructors carefully showing me the intricacies of every technique than if I decided to start watching YouTube and just pick up some sweet clinchwork and Thai kicks.

you can definitely learn some stuff by watching videos and such if you can manage to get partners to drill and practice regularly. That's the hardest and most important part though. I doubt you could progress further than something like blue belt or so though I suppose and that'll take you quite a bit longer than someone who'd learn with a real coach. One of the biggest problem with this is that you'll pick up a ridiculous amount of bad habits overtime which will slow your progress down some more when you end up realizing you need a teacher and a bigger variety of training partners.

I don't know if there are any good resources to learn the basics of striking anywhere? I know there's basically nothing for Judo and trying to learn judo from videos would be hilariously bad since you have to be already kind of good to benefit from the videos I've seen. BJJ seems pretty unique on that aspect since it has a lot of videos and other resources geared toward beginners that focus on very basic stuff.

I'm sure someone with similar resources for a striking art could also learn get some sort of skills if he had access to all the equipment needed and sparring partners.

I'm really not advocating for it though. It'll only lead to slow progress and bad habits in the end, but it's not like it's impossible to learn anything by yourself either. It's just a very bad way to learn.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 30, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

In my first year of BJJ I would watch a lot of youtube videos on the side and picked up a lot of cool little tricks. I would be constantly surprising my training partners and getting taps with weird attacks they didn't expect. But while I was doing that, my training partners all got really good at the basics, and they're wise to all my tricks, and they got dramatically better than I did in the long term. Now that we're all blue belts, I'm the worst of the people who started around the same time. Just keep training at a gym and you'll come to crush that dude over time.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm not even able to train at all thanks to work, I was just wondering if he might have a point

Clearly 'sort of but not really' is the answer

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I find youtube videos not very good for people learning BJJ especially those with no instructor. They're only useful for people who can weed through the garbage to find the few good videos. Only pay sites like those of Marcelo and Draculino are very good. The free videos on youtube have a very poor signal to noise ratio and as such are most useful for experienced grapplers who know how to distinguish good from bad advice.

My brother is currently starting BJJ but lives in a different city. He wanted to watch some youtube videos to supplement his class instruction since most of his classes are oriented to people much more experienced. He couldn't afford the pay sites I recommended but I did have him buy Saulo's book. After checking out youtube, I could not recommend the videos found there and as a result have been filming my own private video tutorials on BJJ for him at a password protected link.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

Only pay sites like those of Marcelo and Draculino are very good.

Our instructors just went up to train with Marcelo last week, should be getting some second hand goodies once they fully integrate the new stuff into their games. :dance:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2012

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Kekekela posted:

Our instructors just went up to trade with Marcelo last week, should be getting some second hand goodies once they fully integrate the new stuff into their games. :dance:

When I was training at my old place in school, the highest ranked guy was a blue belt with a few years more experience than me, so I ended up basically training myself with an MGinAction subscription. My guillotine and my butterfly guard are still the best parts of my game. The site is just set up so well, you can look for pretty much any situation and Marcelo has a fix, or you can look at how he avoids the problem to begin with.

When a brown belt moved to town and finally opened up a school, you know what happened though? I got smashed. Smashed into a fine paste. Training partners matter in ways you can't quantify. I switched gyms within the month. Still go train at the old one occasionally because they advertise better and usually have more white belts.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Most people who practice Youtube-fu learn the 'look' of the moves without understanding the 'feel' of them. A common example that I see all the time is the guy who can switch through 10 different rubberguard positions but can't prevent you from posturing out of any of them.

However, there are some people who are so experienced at grappling and tuned to kinetic learning that they automatically feel techniques when they see them, allowing them to pick things up really quickly from online instructionals.

Everyone still learns best from a coach because they help us learn how everything fits together, and they keep an eye out for the little details that we miss when drilling so that we don't train ourselves to habitually forget them.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

When I was training at my old place in school, the highest ranked guy was a blue belt with a few years more experience than me, so I ended up basically training myself with an MGinAction subscription. My guillotine and my butterfly guard are still the best parts of my game. The site is just set up so well, you can look for pretty much any situation and Marcelo has a fix, or you can look at how he avoids the problem to begin with.

When a brown belt moved to town and finally opened up a school, you know what happened though? I got smashed. Smashed into a fine paste. Training partners matter in ways you can't quantify. I switched gyms within the month. Still go train at the old one occasionally because they advertise better and usually have more white belts.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about our black/brown belts going up to train with Marcelo in person, I've never used his site. (although I may check it out at some point, as our head instructor is very Marcelo inspired so it'd probably be a cool supplement)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Lalalalala, I have survived an injury/flu/torn-cornea/poo poo -spiral of horror (knock knock) that forced me not to train regularly or at least normally for over a month. Been hitting the gym for four days now and feeling great.

Just, wanted to share it - ON THE INTERNET. :dance:

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm not even able to train at all thanks to work, I was just wondering if he might have a point

Clearly 'sort of but not really' is the answer

I don't understand where you're getting 'sort of but not really'... Seems pretty clear to me that everyone needs a live instructor. Watching videos may be better than nothing is kind of like saying drinking piss is better than dying. Still would rather have a beer

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

In the HEMA world we only have books. If only Waite had had access to Youtube...

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Yuns posted:

After checking out youtube, I could not recommend the videos found there and as a result have been filming my own private video tutorials on BJJ for him at a password protected link.

Yo hook some goons up with your password-protected awesome tuts man I wanna train some BJJ too

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Zombywuf posted:

In the HEMA world we only have books. If only Waite had had access to Youtube...

Counterpoint:
http://www.youtube.com/user/swordschool

This is mostly just italian stuff, though, but it's still historical swordsmanship "instruction" videos on youtube. Probably not as useful as the videos for some other martial arts, but at least it exists.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Suleman posted:

Counterpoint:

This is mostly just italian stuff, though, but it's still historical swordsmanship "instruction" videos on youtube. Probably not as useful as the videos for some other martial arts, but at least it exists.

I think he means the entire art is being reconstructed from books. If there were videos as well as manuals it'd be a lot easier.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Antinumeric posted:

I think he means the entire art is being reconstructed from books. If there were videos as well as manuals it'd be a lot easier.

Well, yeah, that much is true. It would make some manuals easier to understand, for sure. Especially the legendary octopus play from Fiore Di Battaglia. Sprouting extra arms would be a useful secret technique.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suleman posted:

Counterpoint:

The problem is that those guys have only ever learned from books. None of them have fought for real, or learned from a maestro who has fought for real.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zombywuf posted:

Been ages since I poked my head in here, but I thought the tournament scene has been developing has helped y'all out tons? Insofar as it's not just books, and that the past couple of years there'd been radical changes in techniques and thought now that people have been fighting in tourneys and the like. You know, the old "throw out everything that doesn't work" mentality.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Today at sword practice, we were in full kit, and I accidentally hit my friend in his gauntleted thumb. It didn't break, but the nail will probably have to go. I feel pretty lovely about that.

Lesson learned: Armor does not make you invincible and should not be an excuse for sloppy technique or overtly increasing speed and power. Also, don't parry with your thumb or hit your friends.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I've been doing Iaido for about 3 years now and I really like it. It seems very different then the arts that many of you do as it is all non contact and not very practical but it is still fun and I have met some cool people. The training has taught me a lot about focus and finesse. It's amazing how subtle changes dramatically effect power, speed and effort.

I saw some posts earlier in the thread saying that iaido was done with only blunt zinc/alloy swords which is not entirely true. Most people do start out with blunt swords for practice but blunt steel swords are available. In addition as you progress towards higher ranks you are expected to be able to use a live sword as well. I know at least for my specific school (Araki Mujinsai Ryu) starting at 4th Dan all tests must be done entirely with a live sword (also for 4th dan and above the test must be done in Japan). Most of our 2nd Dan and above all own live swords and practice with them occasionally.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about Iaido, it tends to be a less common than many of the other arts.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
About Iaido. How big are your classes? What percentage of them would you wager are there because they love anime and want to be a samurai vs the amount of people who are there strictly for the art?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Novum posted:

About Iaido. How big are your classes? What percentage of them would you wager are there because they love anime and want to be a samurai vs the amount of people who are there strictly for the art?

We have fairly small classes, generally 2-5 people (primarily because we suck at actually getting our name out there and recruiting more people). When our masters come over from Japan we will often have people come by from our sister Dojos in Las Vegas and El Paso (we are in Phoenix) to train with us and then class size will reach up to about 10 people.

Everyone currently active in our dojo is in it for the art. You occasionally get anime nerds who come to investigate but they don't tend to stay for very long. When we perform at festivals we do get a lot of questions and interest from anime nerds, but I think the startup cost turns some of them away. Our Sensei has a big interest in Samurai history, but I would consider that a little different as he only looks at actual history, not anime flicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

Some weeks ago, coach told me I should try for an upcoming amateur sanshou tournament. I started dieting and have been since. Also upped my training. I'm at 194 now (down from 208) and need to be at 187 at weighins on the day of the event (10/6). So a couple pounds above my desired schedule. Since I've never cut weight before, I'm not really going to try to go extreme with water weight in the last couple days.

Next 2 weeks are about continued dietary discipline, healing out a few injuries on my right side, cardio, and mental prep.

Whole event got canceled. Oh well. Time to chill on the diet some and go back to work on technique and cardio.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
So I had my first tournament on Sunday. It was an 50th anniversary of a local dojo(LA Tenri) so it was a pretty big event. We were treated to an awesome slaughter line event with Takamasa Anai beating 10 of the best dudes from the area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OniNmLG8khg

As for the actual competing it was kind of a let down, but any experience is good experience I guess. There were only 3 other dudes in the novice, super heavyweight group so we all got to fight each other. I won my first 2 and lost the last and came home with 2nd place. Kinda bummed that I lost the last one, but better luck next time and all that. I recorded my matches but they're not terribly exciting so I'm not sure if I'll upload them or not.

During one of the long as hell waits between my group's 3 fights we got to watch some of the lighter groups go and drat did that take forever. One of the matches was really sad because after at least a 5 minute deliberation between judges(I guess they had forgotten how many shido one of the fighters had?) they come back to the mat and one of the fighters had 3 shido which caused his coach to blow up at the judges. After the coach talks/yells at the judges for a few minutes they tell him to sit down so they can finish the match or they'll disqualify the kid. So he turns around, but on his way back to his chair he turns around to yell some more and the judges just stop the match. What kinda rear end in a top hat coach does that?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

A flying piece of posted:

So for you wrestlers in here, what are your opinions on this medieval grappling game?

Look, thou, and see: how men in the past would wrestle in the hole.

One stands in the hole and may not remove his leg from it and his opponent must hop on one leg. Much art comes of this and it is funny to see.

It's basically a limited game. The objective is to, depending on your role, force the guy whose foot must stay on the mark to move that leg, or force the guy whose foot is off the ground to touch the ground. Or for either person to throw the other person without breaking their own limitation. The guy on the mark can really only pivot and the other can hop around freely.

It's found in a few places, but the most common reference is this: http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Fabian_von_Auerswald

From a few pages back. I gave a 2 hour workshop last sunday to about 20 people, and incorporated this into my warmup routine. People dug the poo poo out of it.

I'm always amused that people like my dagger/unarmed (Fiore) stuff way more than my longsword stuff. Maybe because there's not a lot of techniques beyond hitting, blocking, winden and duplieren you can cover in the allotted time to new people, and the lack of a good finisher. Ah well.

Zombywuf posted:

Probably not, real life interferes with me travelling far for events. Hell, I haven't actually attended an event outside the city of Edinburgh yet.

I'm mainly in it for hitting mates with swords twice a week. If you ever happen to find yourself in Edinburgh however...

If I ever find myself thereabouts, consider yourself challenged! And maybe consider hitting up Fightcamp 2013 next summer, it's reasonably nearby, cheap and also awesome.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 2, 2012

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

Been ages since I poked my head in here, but I thought the tournament scene has been developing has helped y'all out tons? Insofar as it's not just books, and that the past couple of years there'd been radical changes in techniques and thought now that people have been fighting in tourneys and the like. You know, the old "throw out everything that doesn't work" mentality.

Many people have opinions on this reasoning. The tournament scene appears to be generating an excess of sport like behaviour, where scoring the most points according to the rule book is more respected than carrying out correct martial techniques. Here's a couple of posts from people who know far more about the tournament scene than me:

http://guywindsor.net/blog/?p=144

http://www.hroarr.com/the-wreath-or-the-cash-on-tournament-fighting/

Suleman posted:

Lesson learned: Armor does not make you invincible and should not be an excuse for sloppy technique or overtly increasing speed and power. Also, don't parry with your thumb or hit your friends.

It's important to remember that you are using lethal weapons against people you probably don't want to kill. Hope your friend's thumb isn't too badly damaged. How many push-ups does Guy give you for breaking a thumb?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Dropping this here, if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0zNA_KocQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kendo, jukendo (bayonet) and tankendo (short sword).

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

This reads like a black belt magazine article from 1994 bitching about how NHB is perverting the proud traditions of stripmall pajama fighting.

Is there an anything-goes HEMA tournament out there?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

This reads like a black belt magazine article from 1994 bitching about how NHB is perverting the proud traditions of stripmall pajama fighting.

Look at Olympic fencing and you'll see what people are afraid of.

quote:

Just how much are you including in "anything"? I mean, bare-chested with sharps?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I don't know, I see it the same way some people complain about judo becoming more and more a sport has ruined it and people in BJJ being afraid the same thing will happen to their sport. "Sportification" can certainly do it's fair share of bad things along with the good it does.

It's inevitable anyway and I think it's mostly positive in the vast majority of cases.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Zombywuf posted:

Just how much are you including in "anything"? I mean, bare-chested with sharps?

That's just Friday night at Disco Vulcan over on 31st. I was thinking more along the lines of letting kendo, FMA and HEMA guys go at it with blunt weapons.

KingColliwog posted:

I don't know, I see it the same way some people complain about judo becoming more and more a sport has ruined it and people in BJJ being afraid the same thing will happen to their sport. "Sportification" can certainly do it's fair share of bad things along with the good it does.

It's inevitable anyway and I think it's mostly positive in the vast majority of cases.

I get what you're saying (and it sounds like the point the writer was getting at before he drowned himself in a torrent of cum masturbating over his italics tags) and I agree that's mostly inevitable.

Where the other guy loses his way is when he says the key to fighting that is keeping things segregated and rigid. UFC 1 showed that the way to make martial arts vital and alive is to simplify and mix them up.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

people in BJJ being afraid the same thing will happen to their sport. "Sportification" can certainly do it's fair share of bad things along with the good it does.

This. I always find it hilarious whenever there's talk of a new tournament that a group of my teammates wants to travel to. Depending on the group, IBJJF, NAGA, VBBJ, etc. also depends on the rulesets.

Anytime that wrist-locks and/or non-specific leg-locks (including sambo-style locks) are allowed it makes the boys drool and gleeful with anticipation. Sportification ruins all the most fun/effective techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
There's one thing I really like about guys like Mark Schultz or Mikey Burnett. Sambo, BJJ, catch, whatever - to them it's all just wrestling in the end. Why worry about names or who claims to have invented it?

• Locked thread