Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I'm looking for a mortar and pestle so that I can grind toasted spices. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

EVG posted:

I'm looking for a mortar and pestle so that I can grind toasted spices. Any recommendations?

marble's too smooth, as is stainless... a molcajete is probably too porous. I've had awesome results with a granite one, as it's rough+heavy. I hear that porcelain is the bees knees, but it's also the priciest.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Guitarchitect posted:

marble's too smooth

I dunno. This marble one from Ikea seemed pretty good. I didn't buy it myself last I was at an Ikea, but they seem to have roughed up the interior pretty well for the purpose. Can't beat the price either.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

This one works fine for me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Guitarchitect posted:

marble's too smooth, as is stainless... a molcajete is probably too porous. I've had awesome results with a granite one, as it's rough+heavy. I hear that porcelain is the bees knees, but it's also the priciest.

marble isn't too smooth. I have a marble one sort of like gilgames posted, and the inside of the mortar is pretty rough and has sort of almost like really thin ridges. it works wonderfully.

I have a porcelain one too, it's way too smooth and generally sucks rear end. gets stained all the time too.

if you're grinding toasted spices though, save yourself the money and trouble, and get a $10 black & decker coffee grinder. I couldn't live without mine. honestly I use my mortar and pestle most for grinding garlic to a pulp for thai/vietnamese sauces

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

mindphlux posted:

if you're grinding toasted spices though, save yourself the money and trouble, and get a $10 black & decker coffee grinder. I couldn't live without mine. honestly I use my mortar and pestle most for grinding garlic to a pulp for thai/vietnamese sauces

Fyi, if you're using a cheapo coffee grinder: something about cloves and allspice gets into plastic and causes it to fog and it's really difficult to un-clove-ify your grinder. Or at least so says the internet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doodarazumas posted:

Fyi, if you're using a cheapo coffee grinder: something about cloves and allspice gets into plastic and causes it to fog and it's really difficult to un-clove-ify your grinder. Or at least so says the internet.

And personal experience :(

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

A grinder will get a different flavor profile out of the spices. When you're pounding and grinding, you're often releasing oils from the spices... a grinder just chops the poo poo out of it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Doodarazumas posted:

This is true of a lot of things that have oils in them. The way my wife the biochemist explains it, the oil molecules from the spices are small enough that they can infiltrate the plastic of the machine and permanently discolor or fog it. I learned that the hard way when I did chilies in my brand new food processor and turned it red.

If this ever happens to you, you can soak the fogged/discolored part in vegetable oil and that will draw some of it out. It won't look new, though, if that's something you care about.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Gilgameshback posted:

Messermeister Meridian Elite

This is a modern, German stainless knife, very similar to the Wusthofs and Henkels of the world. The Meridian series has no bolster, which is nice because it allows for a more comfortable grip and lets you sharpen the entire edge. Messermeister claims that this is the sharpest German knife on the market, and that may be true - the edge has a 15 degree angle, like many Japanese knives. Well-balanced, and extremely sharp out of the box. Messermeister will sharpen these knives for the cost of shipping. I haven't tried that with mine yet.

Huh, I didn't recognize the name so I googled around, and Messermeister ("knife master") knives are sold as Burgvogel ("castle bird", just a surname, though) in Germany. Known for being great value for money.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doodarazumas posted:

yep, very true. I've given up on caring about this. saw a deal on a coffee grinder for $5, so decided to replace my 10 year old fogged as poo poo one. I kept it kosher for like 3 months until my girl went and made a batch of five spice powder. :smith:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://sellout.woot.com/

Kuhn Rikon 4th burner pot.

For $12, I'm thinking I'll do it just to see if it's worth a drat - a vertical pot like that could come in handy, just figured I'd ask before I spent the cash on it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I can't imagine what I'd use that for. a small fryer maybe? but fryers need more horizontal space than vertical. tea and coffee would be mostly useless because of the wide mesh basket... couldn't make sauces in it because you can't really see what you're doing at the bottom of the pot...

if you're just thinking of heating water, get an electric kettle - it will heat 2-3x faster than a pot on a stove, and you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Is an immersion blender a good replacement for a normal blender or a food processor? I just want to use it to make small smoothies and some sauces. I would also want to try making my own hummus with it. I was also thinking about trying to make some soups with it.

I heard an immersion blender would be good for all of those, but would a cheap one like this be any good?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

mindphlux posted:

I can't imagine what I'd use that for. a small fryer maybe? but fryers need more horizontal space than vertical. tea and coffee would be mostly useless because of the wide mesh basket... couldn't make sauces in it because you can't really see what you're doing at the bottom of the pot...

if you're just thinking of heating water, get an electric kettle - it will heat 2-3x faster than a pot on a stove, and you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

You could sterilize one jam jar...depending on the jar's size.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Pigasus posted:

Is an immersion blender a good replacement for a normal blender or a food processor? I just want to use it to make small smoothies and some sauces. I would also want to try making my own hummus with it. I was also thinking about trying to make some soups with it.

I heard an immersion blender would be good for all of those, but would a cheap one like this be any good?

It's a great thing to have in general, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a normal blender or food processor. Can't really imagine making a smoothie (blender) or pesto (food processor) or many other things with the immersion blender, but I love it for things like smoothing out soups and sauces, and using the mini-chopper attachment for small things that don't warrant the food processor.

Gilgameshback posted:

This one works fine for me.

I've been looking at that one, it's really pretty and I wouldn't mind it sitting out. But the reviews talk about it giving off a lot of dust - did you experience that, or is it just something to ignore?

I do have a cheapo blade grinder that I use as well, just some things seem like they would work better if I could just crush a tiny amount by hand. Or, things that want wet items, like some indian recipes say to crush up the chiles with the spices and I'd like to see the results with a mortar rather than whizzing it in the grinder.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Can we talk electric kettles? I'm starting to feel like upgrading from the generic $30 steel thing I've been using; ideally I'd like something that will hit a specified temperature and then shift to a keep-warm mode. Candidates I've identified so far are this Zojirushi monstrosity, a Cuisinart with a silly handle, or this Chef's Choice thing.

As far as I can tell the Chef's Choice is the only option that will let me set a specific temperature instead of using presets, but the Zojirushi's timer/large capacity are tempting and the Cuisinart...uh. Has pretty blue lights? Anyway. I'm mostly a tea drinker and do my steeping in-cup, but I am in love with my new local coffee place and will probably start playing with a french press for their roasts. Any experience with these/other options I should be considering?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Can we talk electric kettles? I'm starting to feel like upgrading from the generic $30 steel thing I've been using; ideally I'd like something that will hit a specified temperature and then shift to a keep-warm mode. Candidates I've identified so far are this Zojirushi monstrosity, a Cuisinart with a silly handle, or this Chef's Choice thing.

As far as I can tell the Chef's Choice is the only option that will let me set a specific temperature instead of using presets, but the Zojirushi's timer/large capacity are tempting and the Cuisinart...uh. Has pretty blue lights? Anyway. I'm mostly a tea drinker and do my steeping in-cup, but I am in love with my new local coffee place and will probably start playing with a french press for their roasts. Any experience with these/other options I should be considering?
If you're willing to drop $200 on a kettle, you could do better with an in sink boiling water dispenser. http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Water-Products/Pages/default.aspx

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

EVG posted:

I've been looking at that one, it's really pretty and I wouldn't mind it sitting out. But the reviews talk about it giving off a lot of dust - did you experience that, or is it just something to ignore?

I have had no problems with marble dust. Maybe it depends on the mortar you get? It is indeed attractive enough to leave out. It does have a kind of cheap green felt bottom that gets soaked if you wash it off, but that hardly seems like a dealbreaker for something under $20.

The thing is quite well designed: the pestle is huge and covers the whole mortar, so if you're grinding cumin or something you don't have seeds leaping out and rolling under the refrigerator.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

If you're willing to drop $200 on a kettle, you could do better with an in sink boiling water dispenser. http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Water-Products/Pages/default.aspx

It looks like the hot water tank, faucet and filter alone for those systems will run you almost $400, to say nothing of the plumbing work.

Faucet: $122
Heater $185
Filter unit: $63

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 30, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Irony.or.Death posted:

oh my holy god those are expensive

I upgraded from my old cheapo one about a year ago to this : http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-290SBD-Digital-Electric-Stainless/dp/B0044WWB9I/ref=pd_sim_k_1 which does everything you want it to (and about as much as those $100 ones), and it's half the price. I couldn't be happier. it's stainless steel on all the inside which I think is important - my old one would make the water taste a little like plastic which I hated.

edit : also, it's awesome - the water level indicator lights up when it's on, and a LED slowly fades from green to blue to purple to red as it reaches different temperatures, so you can tell from just a glance across the kitchen how far along it is in heating up. I use this a lot if I'm trying to work on a million different prep items at once.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 30, 2012

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That looks pretty good and gets bonus points for having the water level displayed on the side instead of in the usual dumb under-handle spot. What are the temperature settings on it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It uses presets.

If you want fine control, get the Chefs Choice

There are others coming with adjustable temps, but they're not out on the market yet.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've got this one from Upton and it's still holding up just fine after years of near daily use. The temperature dial is fully variable, but the one catch is that the listed temperatures in the manual for various positions on the dial don't seem to match up with what it actually produces. Still, after some experimenting and measuring I figured out where to turn it for what temp. So yeah, maybe not the most perfect model but for $34 it's a pretty good deal.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Irony.or.Death posted:

I have both the zojirushi and the chef's choice. Both are good for separate reasons. Chef's choice is good for your delicate teas, and things where precise temperature control is a must.

Zojirushi is good for knowing you are going to have a specific type of tea or coffee lots and having the capacity to know it will pretty much be available when you need it. I use this one at work and it gets refilled about 4 times a day. It only has 3 settings.

Again though I understand why you would want to go a cheaper route. The only problems I have had so far are the chef's choice temp control setting being a little wacky (ie stop heating after a while when it hasn't reached its temperature yet). After a good thorough cleaning it seems to have been fixed. Also it's loving awkward to carry.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

That Zojirushi is what a lot of convenience stores in Japan have on hand for customers who want to cook up their instant ramen in store. I mean I think it's great and all but it seems a bit like over kill? I think mindphlux's suggestion is a better buy than the 3 you've listed so far.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So, I just picked up one of the Kitchenaid 600 Professional bowl-lift mixers, because I've coveted them for years, and my parents have a kitchenaid, and I love the way they look, etc etc. Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed with it. It's way louder than my parents one (which is like 15 years old, and I think a 4.5 or 5 or 5.5 qt mixer, not the 6.5 of the 600). I've heard that Kitchenaid's customer support is pretty good. Do you think they'd let me swap the big one for one of their smaller bowl-lift models, instead? If so, are those ones quieter?

Alternatively, what's the other mixer everybody loves to death? (That's available in the US)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cuisinart 5.5 quart. Not sure if it will be any quieter, but it will be very strong.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Irony.or.Death posted:

That looks pretty good and gets bonus points for having the water level displayed on the side instead of in the usual dumb under-handle spot. What are the temperature settings on it?

Don't quote me on this, but it's something like 160, 175, 180(?), 190, 205, boiling. you can set it to automatically warm to any of those points, and just sit and maintain that temperature. I only really use that feature when I'm brewing beer and need sparge water at a certain temperature, or need to add some specific temperature to my mash. I've measured the water temperature with my thermapen, and it's pretty accurate, so I'm happy.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you want specific temperature control, the new Bonavita variable temperature kettles are as good as it gets, but they cost about $90.

A kettle like this isn't really a direct replacement for something like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser. For one thing, they aren't intended to be left on 24/7 like the Zoji. I find it really handy to have a constantly available and portable source of near-boiling water for coffee, cooking, heating cups, and so on. It's especially useful at work, where I don't have easy access to a water supply. I use a variable temp kettle for tea I brew below boiling, though.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Bob_McBob posted:

If you want specific temperature control, the new Bonavita variable temperature kettles are as good as it gets, but they cost about $90.

A kettle like this isn't really a direct replacement for something like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser. For one thing, they aren't intended to be left on 24/7 like the Zoji. I find it really handy to have a constantly available and portable source of near-boiling water for coffee, cooking, heating cups, and so on. It's especially useful at work, where I don't have easy access to a water supply. I use a variable temp kettle for tea I brew below boiling, though.

My bonavita just shipped, should be here tuesday, so excited!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I need a spatula recommendation.

I got a set of 3 wonderful silicone spatulas with metal handles drat near a decade ago at Linens and Things and since they went out of business, I've lost one at a pot luck, one broke on me (the silicone. Tried to mix up a cold pot of chili), and am down to one heavily abused spatula. I would love one that allows me to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot without feeling like I am bending the metal, about to crack the silicone or getting my hands in the hot hot food.

So what's the problem? My favorite pot is a 20 quart pot. Can someone recommend a nice long and strong silicone tipped spatula with a (preferably) stainless steel handle? I'd love something in the 16"-24" range. If it can disassemble for cleaning, even better.

The spatula in the picture is 11" long.

(As for what I do with all the food? Freeze a lot of it and eat what I don't freeze over the next week.)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
These are my favourite spatulas:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-2-Inch-Scraper/dp/B0042YHN6E/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fire Storm posted:

I need a spatula recommendation.

I got a set of 3 wonderful silicone spatulas with metal handles drat near a decade ago at Linens and Things and since they went out of business, I've lost one at a pot luck, one broke on me (the silicone. Tried to mix up a cold pot of chili), and am down to one heavily abused spatula. I would love one that allows me to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot without feeling like I am bending the metal, about to crack the silicone or getting my hands in the hot hot food.

So what's the problem? My favorite pot is a 20 quart pot. Can someone recommend a nice long and strong silicone tipped spatula with a (preferably) stainless steel handle? I'd love something in the 16"-24" range. If it can disassemble for cleaning, even better.

The spatula in the picture is 11" long.

(As for what I do with all the food? Freeze a lot of it and eat what I don't freeze over the next week.)

use long wooden spoons/spatulas? they take far more abuse and are generally more useful for scraping bottoms of pots / leaving on top of pots and not getting burningly hot / etc.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

This is the correct answer.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

If you've got cash to spend and are super into loose tea (wasn't sure what you meant exactly by in-cup), there's also a 250 buck fully automatic tea maker (that also brings regular water up to any temperature super, super fast). It's one of my best friends.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

use long wooden spoons/spatulas? they take far more abuse and are generally more useful for scraping bottoms of pots / leaving on top of pots and not getting burningly hot / etc.

There's an amazing hard plastic spatula/spoon thing we have at work. Thing is heat resistant up to at least 500F, and hard as a rock. However, I can't remember the brand, other than it's french. We started out with 5, and now we're down to 1. Goddamn kitchen thieves :argh:

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
The guys at work render duckfat almost every day, and they only use the lard for staff meals! I am going to take some of it home! What should I keep it in? (And what should I make first? I would say I'm moderately skilled in the ways of the kitchen...)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Keep it in a jar and use it for greasing up pans. Fry some potatoes in it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

blowingupcasinos posted:

The guys at work render duckfat almost every day, and they only use the lard for staff meals! I am going to take some of it home! What should I keep it in? (And what should I make first? I would say I'm moderately skilled in the ways of the kitchen...)
I always store duck fat in a plastic tub. Like a tupperware container or the moral equivalent. In the fridge, if that's not obvious.

As to what to make---frites is the obvious choice. I really dig pommes persillade with the taters fried in duck fat.

I also really like scallops pan fried with duck fat. Put a couple Tbsp in a fry pan over a high heat. Scallops you wash and pat dry, sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt, sear both sides in the fat. Reserve them, then throw in some minced garlic, let it just get fragrant, add some tomato concasse. Keep it moving while the tomatoes soften just a little, add a little white wine, reduce a little, add a little chicken stock, just enough so when it reduces a little everything will look like a sauce. When it's there, add the scallops back in, plus some basil chiffonade, plate, done.

• Locked thread