Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kiri koli posted:

I watch my friend's cats when he travels and if he's gone more than four days, they will poop on his bed in protest.

I've read somewhere that that's because the cats think that your friend will smell the turds all the way out in Albuquerque or wherever the hell he went. Called it a "scent flare" or something. Anyone with any expertise care to weigh in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Cats don't really think all that much they just do

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Today was Trophy's fifth birthday but i didn't really do anything special cause she's a cat and I was kind of busy today.

I did make a Hey Trophy video for the occasion though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKF8xOzgPA

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Omigosh poor Trophy what a poor little kitty :(!!!! For her birthday she gets dislodged from her comfortable perch, shouted at several times called, gets called "stupid" while a teeny-tiny morsel of a treat is carelessly tossed onto the cold floor as a cruel joke of a "present", and then you mercilessly shove her to the floor for no reason. <:mad:> That is clearly some serious kitty abuse, El Gar. You really should be ashamed of yourself. I have half a mind to flag that video for inappropriate content!

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Trophy has the most striking markings. Such a pretty birthday girl. :3:

Does anyone happen to know what it is about a closed bathroom door that makes cats suddenly desperate to be in the room with you? They couldn't care less if I'm puttering about the rest of the apartment, but the instance I go in the washroom and shut the door, it's all trilling, cooing, clawing up the carpet(bye bye damage deposit) and pawing the door. Leave me in peace, furballs!

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

kaworu posted:

Omigosh poor Trophy what a poor little kitty :(!!!! For her birthday she gets dislodged from her comfortable perch, shouted at several times called, gets called "stupid" while a teeny-tiny morsel of a treat is carelessly tossed onto the cold floor as a cruel joke of a "present", and then you mercilessly shove her to the floor for no reason. <:mad:> That is clearly some serious kitty abuse, El Gar. You really should be ashamed of yourself. I have half a mind to flag that video for inappropriate content!

Are you trying to get me to make another apology? Cause we all saw how the last one turned out.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Canadian Bakin posted:

Trophy has the most striking markings. Such a pretty birthday girl. :3:

Does anyone happen to know what it is about a closed bathroom door that makes cats suddenly desperate to be in the room with you? They couldn't care less if I'm puttering about the rest of the apartment, but the instance I go in the washroom and shut the door, it's all trilling, cooing, clawing up the carpet(bye bye damage deposit) and pawing the door. Leave me in peace, furballs!

I was actually considering making a comic about this very issue earlier today. Cats and closed doors. Fuckin' mysterious.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm in the market for a good but not absurdly expensive airline compatible cat carrier. The reviews for this one look good but PI always knows best. Suggestions?

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

El Gar posted:

Today was Trophy's fifth birthday but i didn't really do anything special cause she's a cat and I was kind of busy today.

I did make a Hey Trophy video for the occasion though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKF8xOzgPA

The best part is that you have to explain the shoe squeak, in case someone was assuming full-scale abuse or something.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Robo Kitty posted:

I'm in the market for a good but not absurdly expensive airline compatible cat carrier. The reviews for this one look good but PI always knows best. Suggestions?

I have that exact carrier. It used to be cheaper, too, so maybe it will go on sale or something in the future?

Anyway, I love it. It's very durable. I put a cat that was having a full on freak out in it for >30 min and the damage is minimal, and really only on the aesthetic bits. Plus, even if your cat is freaking out while in it, the sides and mesh are durable enough that you're not going to get mangled trying to hold the carrier. It's got a couple really useful pockets on it to keep airline papers and such in, as well as a book or something for the flight. The fluffy blanket bit in it is also removable, so you can replace it with a pee pad for the flight. I would say it's definitely worth the money.

edit: the one sort of inconvenient thing is that there's no opening on the top, only on the sides. That makes it a little difficult to shove an unwilling cat in, but I've found that putting the carrier vertical makes it perfectly doable.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

El Gar posted:

Are you trying to get me to make another apology? Cause we all saw how the last one turned out.

I hope you are all happy making me compromise on my integrity and apologize to a cat. Again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695IlTRmT2I

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

skoolmunkee posted:

My sister has a deaf pibble and she is super-attentive to her people. She has to wear a vibrate collar when she's awake though because that was the only way my sister could train her for recall and such. It's cute, she doesn't realize that we can hear the noises she makes, so she is super bad at being sneaky.

I have a vibration collar but I never really needed to use it. Pippa's a super fast learner of body language and inside the house, she's never really far enough away that I'd need any kind of recall. We have a securely fenced yard and that and the dog park that's within walking distance are pretty much the only places she's off leash.

I still play around with the idea of using the collar for something or other every so often, but so far it's been unnecessary. v:shobon:v

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ladyweapon posted:

I'm leaving on a vacation from October 3rd to the 7th. I'm setting up arrangements to have a friend come over, scoop the box, check the food/water levels, but I just know Sully is going to pee on something while I'm gone. He's such a drama queen :negative:

Aw baby quail :3:

Do the same as my friends who have a cat that drama-pees:
Close all the doors into rooms that you have nice stuff, move all your nice stuff into those rooms. Leave stuff you don't care as much about out. Hope It helps :/

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Haha, "It's Twophy's biwfday?" and then huuuug, so cute!

Siochain, she also had to use it as attention interrupter. If Sadie was doing something you'd normally tell a dog "no, quit it" she'd have to use the collar so Sadie would look at her. Also when she was training her, it was a 'look at me' thing when Sadie's attention wandered. Nowadays though she might only have to use it once a week or so, it was largely while Sadie was younger.

The other reason she has to wear it all the time is more of a just-in-case thing. Sadie is a pit bull and my sister doesn't want to give anybody any reason to think she's not taking appropriate steps to keep her in line just in case.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

El Gar posted:

I hope you are all happy making me compromise on my integrity and apologize to a cat. Again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695IlTRmT2I

Awww, thanks for giving Twophy an apology and a proper birthday to be proud of, I can clearly see the joy in her face and the happiness dancing behind her eyes :3:

Really though before I was just responding to your video as if I were some sort of reactionary youtube commenter. It's fun! I'm glad it resulted in that hilarious video you just posted though so at least my lovely post bore fruit somehow.

I just love how nonplussed she is at the end, totally reminds me of my cat when I ask her to do something obviously silly. She just stands there, totally docile but also clearly nonplussed, and I'm never entirely sure whether she's just half-catatonic or is actually engaged with reality in the least little bit. Oh, cats!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

skoolmunkee posted:

Siochain, she also had to use it as attention interrupter. If Sadie was doing something you'd normally tell a dog "no, quit it" she'd have to use the collar so Sadie would look at her. Also when she was training her, it was a 'look at me' thing when Sadie's attention wandered. Nowadays though she might only have to use it once a week or so, it was largely while Sadie was younger.

Yeah, I use touch with my dog a lot. I usually just get up and walk over to wherever and tap Pippa on the flank if she's not looking at me and trying to get into something. If she gets the "leave it alone" look from me once, I get some "flop down on floor and SIGH" histrionics, but she will generally not go for the same thing again. But just so I know she is NOT AT ALL HAPPY ABOUT IT!!! :argh:

The attention thing is definitely where I most strongly considered using the collar, but she is very good about 'checking in' frequently. I still do toss around the idea of using the collar to refine the attention thing, just haven't had the need enough that I've done it I guess.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Skizzles posted:

How funny, someone just posted a deaf, white, pitty puppy on my FB feed for adoption. Congrats. :3:

Also you named her after Fionna from Adventure Time didn't you? :colbert:

You got me! I'm totally going to sing "Oh Fionna" to her, even though she can't hear me. :colbert:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, I use touch with my dog a lot. I usually just get up and walk over to wherever and tap Pippa on the flank if she's not looking at me and trying to get into something. If she gets the "leave it alone" look from me once, I get some "flop down on floor and SIGH" histrionics, but she will generally not go for the same thing again. But just so I know she is NOT AT ALL HAPPY ABOUT IT!!! :argh:

The attention thing is definitely where I most strongly considered using the collar, but she is very good about 'checking in' frequently. I still do toss around the idea of using the collar to refine the attention thing, just haven't had the need enough that I've done it I guess.

It's interesting to hear how different animals adjust to deafness. My last foster cat was deaf and his response was to stay away from people. If you upset him he'd shove his face into a corner and then you didn't exist. On the other hand, I had a deaf horse who seemed very sensitive to vibration and touch and never had any problems getting around or sensing you. I wonder if it's a predator/prey thing.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ned caught a mole! Good terrier!

I figured Superconsndar might like this so I took a picture.

Also, this is one of several holes he dug around the fence trying to get it:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

I demand video proof of this horrible idea!

http://www.viddler.com/v/98cd6b72

14 minutes of dogs slorping peanut butter and probably awful music.

E: Anyone wanna take a crack at breeds on Ires? Because there's some decent shots of her in there for once!

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 30, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Siochain posted:

Do the same as my friends who have a cat that drama-pees:
Close all the doors into rooms that you have nice stuff, move all your nice stuff into those rooms. Leave stuff you don't care as much about out. Hope It helps :/

I'm going to have to find a tarp and wrap my couch or something. I wasn't home last night and I came home to find patches of Nermals hair in my bed and on the floor. Not like shedding, outright patches of hair. She doesn't seem to be missing any hair on her though. I think the cats had a party while I was gone :catstare:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

http://www.viddler.com/v/98cd6b72

14 minutes of dogs slorping peanut butter and probably awful music.

E: Anyone wanna take a crack at breeds on Ires? Because there's some decent shots of her in there for once!

This is weirdly entertaining. I also love the shape of Amy's head.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Mice are supposed to be scared of rat smells, but since the girl mice died I moved him in to the living room so he could have some sort of company. He's spent a bunch of time trying to get into the rat cage. Wheatley they are not large mice you moron and they will proooobably eat you if you give them the chance.

and no, no more mealworms for you, fattie

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm starting to feel pretty guilty and don't know what to do. When I first moved into my apartment, there was a very straggly-looking stray cat who appeared in the yard every couple of days; she had a snipped ear so I figured she'd been fixed by a TNR group. After I adopted Indy, I had some leftover crappy food that the shelter had been feeding her, so I put it out for the stray so it wouldn't go to waste. Of course with my being a total softie this became a regular thing and the stray started to show up regularly.

It's over a year later and now she spends almost all her time in the yard or next door. She waits for me in the mornings and is very vocal. At first she ran away at the sight of me but now allows me to get pretty close, although she still runs away at a distance of around 5 feet. She looks much, much, better and stopped being hissy. I only feed her in the mornings but she still pops up when I come home in the evening, meowing to be fed. I'm pretty convinced that if she were to be grabbed and brought inside, she could be socialized. But I live in a tiny studio apartment and can only have one cat so I just can't do it.

I'm starting to worry about when I go on vacation; I'm sure she can handle a long weekend but beyond that I'm afraid she'll starve. It's obvious that before I started feeding her she wasn't doing well for herself; I've witnessed her absolutely laughable attempts at catching birds (she just runs up to them and looks surprised when they fly away). I once did find a dead mouse in front of my door, which might have been a present? In the past, I'd ask my catsitters to feed her as well, but this winter I'm going to be gone for a month and am taking Indy with me so there won't be anyone around to feed the stray cat. (I don't know any of my neighbors and plan on just having the post office hold the mail.)

I somehow thought that by feeding her she'd become socialized enough on her own that I'd be able to scoop her up and bring her to the shelter, which does socialize adoptable ferals. But we've reached a plateau in that regard and without forcing her to interact with people -- which I can't do -- it won't improve. I'm afraid that even if I managed to trap her and bring her in, she'd just get euthed because she's not friendly enough yet.

Please, go ahead and tell me how stupid I was for getting myself into this. But I'd also appreciate any suggestions on how to help this cat.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

InEscape posted:

It's interesting to hear how different animals adjust to deafness. My last foster cat was deaf and his response was to stay away from people. If you upset him he'd shove his face into a corner and then you didn't exist. On the other hand, I had a deaf horse who seemed very sensitive to vibration and touch and never had any problems getting around or sensing you. I wonder if it's a predator/prey thing.

In part, but as far as noticing things in a wider field of vision, horses have that down anyway because of the whole eyes on the sides of their heads (which is of course a prey adaptation for the most part). Whereas a cat's eyes are pretty forward facing (and a dog's too, but not as much as the cat).

I think that more of Pippa's quirks have to do with her being a young toller than her being deaf though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yay, it's beach weather again!

All this staghound wanted to do was lay in the hole it had dug.

Chasing a ball in front of the wussiest bulldog.

We made a fox terrier friend.

A happy and exhausted dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Greycious posted:

Ned caught a mole! Good terrier!

I figured Superconsndar might like this so I took a picture.

Also, this is one of several holes he dug around the fence trying to get it:

Good dog! :3:

So, this bad puppy:

Won't stop doing things like this:

(because my parents won't supervise him well enough when he's outside.)Despite being in the picture, Frankie was not involved in this crime.

So, I made him a diggin' box. He thinks it's pretty good, and so does Frankie. It's good to dig in, but it is better to fight in.

This dog doesn't like digging, digging boxes, weird ugly dogs, or weird ugly dogs wrestling. He wasn't please with the direction the world was heading in, so I let him look at the mice. That should give him a better perspective on things. It's good to have perspective, and to remember that there are still things in the world that you like.

...Until you start yelling at those things. Then it is time to stop.

So, then things got weird and he decided to spend the next hour begging for me to give him this copy of Dances With Wolves. The wolf dies in the end, so you would probably like that movie, but you can't have it. Go lay down somewhere.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

"Please can I eat the puppy? Please? Just a little nibble?"

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Superconsndar posted:

Despite being in the picture, Frankie was not involved in this crime.

Frankie is the crime.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They certainly like that diggin' box. It's a bit like a sandbox for dogs I guess. Looks like a good way of keeping them out of the flowers.

Moses is wonderful. :3:

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Oliver came home with us this weekend. He spent Saturday in a semi-catatonic state (as is his wont when faced with change), but by Sunday he was ready to explore the master bedroom, nibble a little food, and use his box. He crawled in my lap a few times, and when I woke up this morning he was curled up next to me on the bed. :3:
This really is amazing. He literally spent 2 months hiding behind my grandmother's washer and dryer when she first got him, she only knew he actually existed because his kibble disappeared and he used his box.

I don't know if it's the Feliway or the fact that we calmly placed him in a quiet, low traffic place instead of just tossing him into a house with a spastic terrier, but, he's just doing so well in such a short amount of time.

Kismet is also handling this well, so far. She's either unaware of Oliver's presence or she doesn't care (yet). The master bedroom is not her primary hang-out spot and when we brought Oliver home, my husband took him straight to the bedroom while I fed Kismet. Nothing else matters to Kismet when there's food in front of her.

I'm going to start getting them used to each other's smells this week, without any face-to-face time yet, and go from there.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 1, 2012

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Jesus Christ, watch your Pit Bulls on Halloween because apparently it's 'Kill a Pit Bull Day'. http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/19297 Edit: This may have originated in DFW. More: http://www.examiner.com/article/viral-threat-has-pit-bull-advocates-worried

What is wrong with some people. I used to work for a vet that wouldn't adopt out black kitties in October because 'witchcraft' or something. Maybe that's just a Bible Belt thing.

Horky fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 1, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Horky posted:

Jesus Christ, watch your Pit Bulls on Halloween. Apparently it's 'Kill a Pit Bull Day'. http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/19297

I don't think I'll have to worry in my area (lots of people who love pits and staffies and mistake my dog for one) but I'm going to post up notices in the front office so people know to keep their dogs inside as much as possible on Halloween regardless of breed. And I can try to keep him inside but I'm worried about just taking him on walks now. :(

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hell, even without the danger of creepy psychos, Halloween is a good time to be alert about pets. People coming to the door, stray chocolate, kids running around doing silly dumb stuff.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Horky posted:

Jesus Christ, watch your Pit Bulls on Halloween because apparently it's 'Kill a Pit Bull Day'. http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/19297 Edit: This may have originated in DFW. More: http://www.examiner.com/article/viral-threat-has-pit-bull-advocates-worried

What is wrong with some people. I used to work for a vet that wouldn't adopt out black kitties in October because 'witchcraft' or something. Maybe that's just a Bible Belt thing.

I think it is less that they're worried that the animal will be associated with witchcraft in general, but rather that there was an urban legend going around that satanists and teenagers (sorry for the redundancy) would adopt black cats and "sacrifice" them on Halloween. As far as I know that never really happened to any real degree, but it was pretty widely believed in my area for awhile.

I know some rescuers who worry a bit about the seasonal impulse buy factor but I haven't come across any that have a blanket policy against adopting out black cats around Halloween. Rabbits and chicks during Easter and any pet as a gift around Christmas are much bigger seasonal risk factors. I did used to know a few that wouldn't adopt black cats out around Halloween though, it just seems like most I know have moved past.

Definitely agree that Halloween is a good time to be extra mindful of your pets though, there's a lot of hazards that aren't usually present. I bet that pit bull thing was written as a bad joke but unfortunately I'm sure there are some people will take it seriously.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 1, 2012

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for outdoor cat repellent? There's a crazy cat lady near our house that has at least 11 different outdoor cats and they are making GBS threads all over my yard, my dog will chase them out when she goes out but she obviously can't be outside all the time to keep the yard free of cat poo poo. Bonus: she has taken a liking to rolling in or eating the cat poo poo if it is not removed (despite never eating any other forms of poop). As a last resort would trapping them and taking them to animal control be allowed since they are on my property?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

2tomorrow posted:

I think it is less that they're worried that the animal will be associated with witchcraft in general, but rather that there was an urban legend going around that satanists and teenagers (sorry for the redundancy) would adopt black cats and "sacrifice" them on Halloween. As far as I know that never really happened to any real degree, but it was pretty widely believed in my area for awhile.

I've heard of people killing pet black cats they find outside too. Just because LoL Halloween prank. :smith:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Kerfuffle posted:

I've heard of people killing pet black cats they find outside too. Just because LoL Halloween prank. :smith:

Yeah, that I can believe. I'm not sold on the prevalence of evil crazy satanists, but goddamn there are plenty of people out there who don't mind an excuse to be shits. And people who get together with a crowd of friends and turn off the "why the hell are you doing that" part of their brains.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

I think it is less that they're worried that the animal will be associated with witchcraft in general

Not entirely but it's a rational concern considering a large population believes that "in the olde tymes" ( :rolleyes: ) the druids often sacrificed black cats as part of rituals to disperse "evil" souls. That notion, whether historically accurate or not, caught "popular" public opinion and that, on top of with the legends of multiple religions sacrificing all black or all white cats in "occult rituals", is the why. The shelter my folks worked with banned all-black cat adoptions during october, but they also didn't put any down.

And I have known people that do animal sacrifices during the last week of October of various species (including cats) for various purposes, according to them. I personally don't do that so I haven't been present so y'know, I can't tell you if it's just bullshit on their part or if they really are sacrificing animals actively. They certainly claim they do.

The majority of these people are 20-50 years of age. 1 claims satanism as her religious path.

I do agree that regardless of all ^ that, yeah, it's pretty important to just keep your animals (and kids) a little closer on halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
We just unofficially adopted a stray black cat for this reason. She's been hanging around our back porch for a week now; we put up flyers to no response, she seemed ravenously hungry when she first arrived and we doubt she belongs to anyone. We don't want her to become some idiot's victim come Halloween, so she'll be getting her shots soon and then we can take her inside (unless the vet finds a microchip, then we'll go from there). So two new pets this year I guess. :3:

• Locked thread