Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering that Part 2 has to cover both Joker and Superman sections I have a feeling that the Reagan stuff might get cut a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I just wish the movie had some better artwork, it's kinda bland and clean similar to Year One.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Who was the female talking to Bruce in the car race scene at the beginning?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TLG James posted:

Who was the female talking to Bruce in the car race scene at the beginning?

Carol Ferris. It was a little more obvious in the comic book.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Seconding that robocop makes an awesome old rear end Batman. The high points action wise were the mudpit fight and the empty warehouse takedown. They really nailed it with the old cop telling the new cop to enjoy the show and the reverence the old guard had for Batman. If anything seeing the "batmobile" animated so big kinda seemed a bit off. It's weird that this is one of the few thing that bothered made me nitpick in the movie (other than there being a Brooklyn Brown Ale tap at the bar when Gordon and Batman are taking a drink which makes me think that this isn't in the 80s like everyone thinks).

Also the mutant slang seems even more ridiculous when actually spoken.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Honest Thief posted:

I just wish the movie had some better artwork, it's kinda bland and clean similar to Year One.
It'll be hard to find a production without the sterile look these days since hand-drawn animation is a thing of the past, sadly. I've really just accepted it since there's no going back. Imagine if a production of this scope was made in the late 90s though.. Mask of the Phantasm style animation with these production values would be insane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I didn't like was since they didn't have any narration they just had characters say some of the lines from the book. Like in the Batman/Mutant Leader fight in the mud pit having Batman actually say what he was doing came off as rather stilted.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
No EMH this weekend??

The Iron Man Nose armor had a minor role in today's USM. Which was followed up by a joke about Tony having built an even MORE anatomically correct armor. :gonk:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I thought The Dark Knight Returns was the poo poo back when I was 15 years old. Now that I review the tale in animated form I realize how utterly absurd it all is. Frank Miller has really been insane and out-of-touch for years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Gardner showed up on yesterday's Green Lantern: TAS and it was a pretty good episode. They also introduced the Anti-Monitor and brought back the Manhunters. So far they haven't really said what was up with the Anti-Monitor so who knows what they're going to do with the backstory, all we know is that he reactivated the Manhunters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought The Dark Knight Returns was the poo poo back when I was 15 years old. Now that I review the tale in animated form I realize how utterly absurd it all is. Frank Miller has really been insane and out-of-touch for years.

It actually seems surprisingly reactionary and kind of pro-fascism, so much so that it made me kind of uncomfortable to watch. It's kind of weird in light of how the oppressive government is in the wrong for wanting to stop Batman, but at the same time everyone who stresses either rehabilitation or due process as a response to crime is shown to be not only out-of-touch, but categorically wrong. The only effective justice is straight-up unrestrained brutality, effective because it unites the people and spurs them to action to take control of their city by brutalizing more people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jack Gladney posted:

It actually seems surprisingly reactionary and kind of pro-fascism, so much so that it made me kind of uncomfortable to watch. It's kind of weird in light of how the oppressive government is in the wrong for wanting to stop Batman, but at the same time everyone who stresses either rehabilitation or due process as a response to crime is shown to be not only out-of-touch, but categorically wrong. The only effective justice is straight-up unrestrained brutality, effective because it unites the people and spurs them to action to take control of their city by brutalizing more people.

That is Frank Miller in a nutshell really. He never really snapped, he just finally went so over the top it was hard to ignore.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jack Gladney posted:

My problem is that the actions and behaviors of the characters often make no sense. I understand that Frank Miller wrote this at the peak of the New York crack boom, but the events depicted here have no resemblance to how real-world criminals and cops behave. It helps one's understanding to know that Frank Miller didn't grow up on the mean streets of New York, but in the small town of Montpelier, Vermont, where soccer moms probably leave apple pies to cool by open windows.

The Mutants' leader murders the mayor in his cell. If any real crime boss did this, he'd be finished. The reason that real-world governments have so much trouble prosecuting mob bosses is lack of evidence, not lack of firepower, so this would be a Christmas present for the prosecution. If the Mutants are so powerful that the city wants to negotiate even after this, then it's really a problem for the US military. Funnily enough, the President only sends in Superman and the army when Batman takes over Gotham, to punish him for doing such an awesome job.

In order to save the city, Gordon arranges a mud-wrestling match between Batman and the Mutant leader. Batman wins and the Mutants switch allegiance to him because gangsters are like chimpanzees, falling in behind whoever beat up the last alpha male.

The Dark Knight Returns is a silly fantasy where one lone guy with boxing skills takes on all criminals and saves the world, and the establishment wants to punish him for this. It's the sort of thing a conspiracy theorist would say after taking a huge does of meth.

This book only gets worse with age, because soon after it came out, crime in America started falling sharply, partly due to the efforts of the establishment he so hates. New York City is now the safest big city in America.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 1, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
You know, I don't think anyone ever praised the book as logical or sociologically sound. The appeal to me (and as it always has been explained to me) is the psychology of Bruce and the Joker and this crazy world that's developed, and how Bruce copes with the planet going crazy around him. Also the art in general.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Baron Bifford posted:

The Mutants' leader murders the mayor in his cell. If any real crime boss did this, he'd be finished. The reason that real-world governments have so much trouble prosecuting mob bosses is lack of evidence, not lack of firepower, so this would be a Christmas present for the prosecution. If the Mutants are so powerful that the city wants to negotiate even after this, then it's really a problem for the US military. Funnily enough, the President only sends in Superman and the army when Batman takes over Gotham, to punish him for doing such an awesome job.

In order to save the city, Gordon arranges a mud-wrestling match between Batman and the Mutant leader. Batman wins and the Mutants switch allegiance to him because gangsters are like chimpanzees, falling in behind whoever beat up the last alpha male.

Gordon didn't arrange the fight, Batman did. That was the whole point of him dressing up new Robin as a mutant and talking mutant jive speak so that word would pass among the gang to meet up at the mud pit. The favor Batman asks for is for Gordon to let the leader escape so that he can be publicly humilated instead of becoming a shining beacon to his followers (see OBL or jihadists) or so that the next in line doesn't take the violence to an 11 (see Mexican cartels) when someone new comes to power to prove how bad rear end they are.

I never saw the mutants as gangsters like in mob movies, but more as a cult whose religion was violence. I mean if you take it in a literal sense then the mayor coulda called for national guard support to hunt down what essentially is a hostile army in his city. They are all nice enough to dress alike and have very definitive Jordi Leforge visors.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

They also introduced the Anti-Monitor and brought back the Manhunters. So far they haven't really said what was up with the Anti-Monitor so who knows what they're going to do with the backstory, all we know is that he reactivated the Manhunters.

With the Anti-Monitor around, they open the door to AM getting trapped in a Black Lantern battery!.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They still don't even have Yellow Lanterns yet so I think that's kind of far off down the line, if ever. They haven't even introduced Sinestro yet. Although this is mostly because the first half of the season took place almost entirely outside of Guardian space. I'm also wondering if they're going to get rid of Hal's mask considering Guy doesn't wear one either and Hal was just fired from his day job and his girlfriend dumped him. The series is focusing solely on space stuff and he doesn't really seem to fight any Earth based villains or anything like that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

They still don't even have Yellow Lanterns yet so I think that's kind of far off down the line, if ever. They haven't even introduced Sinestro yet. Although this is mostly because the first half of the season took place almost entirely outside of Guardian space. I'm also wondering if they're going to get rid of Hal's mask considering Guy doesn't wear one either and Hal was just fired from his day job and his girlfriend dumped him. The series is focusing solely on space stuff and he doesn't really seem to fight any Earth based villains or anything like that.

A domino mask isn't really a great disguise, they're probably just using it because it's become an iconic part of Hal's costume design.

I'm thinking the Honor Guard promotion is where they'll introduce Sinestro, since they need to put him in some kind of mentor/partner relationship with Hal before he turns, and we never got any origin-story/Hal-as-a-rookie episodes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm thinking the Honor Guard promotion is where they'll introduce Sinestro, since they need to put him in some kind of mentor/partner relationship with Hal before he turns, and we never got any origin-story/Hal-as-a-rookie episodes.
In the first Green Lantern comics, Hal and Sinestro never met as Lanterns. The Guardians had already exposed and expelled Sinestro himself by that time (this was an age when the Guardians were un-corrupt and competent).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Baron Bifford posted:

In the first Green Lantern comics, Hal and Sinestro never met as Lanterns. The Guardians had already exposed and expelled Sinestro himself by that time (this was an age when the Guardians were un-corrupt and competent).
Considering the Manhunters, have the Guardians in any age ever been competent?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the very first appearance of Sinestro, they were quite competent. They did their own "periodic secret checks" and swiftly expelled him.

They also didn't have to bother with any Alpha Lantern bullshit.

Did the Guardians become nasty before Geoff Johns took over the book?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 5, 2012

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think it was the Green Arrow/Green Lantern series when they became synonymous with "The Man" that was the first use of jerk Guardians. They're outer space Koch brothers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think the Guardians were ever really "good" though considering in their first appearance they kidnap Hal and then wipe his memory of it ever happening.

Anyway, in Green Lantern TV news, this week kind of explained TAS' version of the Anti-Monitor and apparently they're kind of stealing a little bit of Galactus for him as he wants to destroy stuff to absorb their energy. Oh and also in today's episode THEY KILLED HAL (probably not really.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something else I forgot to mention in yesterday's Green Lantern: TAS? Hal gets his rear end handed to him by Ch'p.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One thing that annoys me about the fight sequences in the GL cartoon is that they fight too much like Superman, throwing punches and brunting attacks. I know the rings are capable of granting such power but that's not their typical style in current comics. They should use more constructs so as to distinguish them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any animated DC material on any of the major streaming sites? Preferably nothing I have to pay for like renting something from Amazon. I know there used to be some stuff on Netflix but is that all gone now?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Senor Candle posted:

Is there any animated DC material on any of the major streaming sites? Preferably nothing I have to pay for like renting something from Amazon. I know there used to be some stuff on Netflix but is that all gone now?

I think Superman/Batman Apocalypse is on Netflix unless its come off recently

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dacap posted:

I think Superman/Batman Apocalypse is on Netflix unless its come off recently

Yeah I looked earlier today and the only animated stuff was some Superman stuff from the 40's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I looked earlier today and the only animated stuff was some Superman stuff from the 40's.

If it is the Fleischer Superman cartoons they are some of if not the best Superman ever. Every single portrayal of Superman owes something to these cartoons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

If it is the Fleischer Superman cartoons they are some of if not the best Superman ever. Every single portrayal of Superman owes something to these cartoons.

They're coming out on Blu-Ray in a couple of weeks.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I wanted to rewatch Under the Red Hood recently, but it looks like all the DC movies are off of Netflix now. When did that happen?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I wanted to rewatch Under the Red Hood recently, but it looks like all the DC movies are off of Netflix now. When did that happen?

I don't know but it's a bummer! You can rent it on Amazon for like 3-4 bucks. I actually got a $5 credit for setting up my PS3 to stream and ended up watching it for free!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So did everyone forget about YJ or they just find the second season so bland they don't want to discuss it?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Everybody talks about it in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450157

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite both series being back for a grand total of 2 weeks Cartoon Network has pulled the DC Nation block until January.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

So despite both series being back for a grand total of 2 weeks Cartoon Network has pulled the DC Nation block until January.

I was pissed this morning when they were pre-empted.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

And replaced them with Johnny loving Test.
:suicide:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

404GoonNotFound posted:

And replaced them with Johnny loving Test.
:suicide:

:confused:

Is that next week? This week was some dragon show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Who wants to take bets on how much of this is part of some horrible DC/Warner planning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

:confused:

Is that next week? This week was some dragon show.

It was JT followed by Dragons, from what I've heard.

• Locked thread