Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, you didn't know? Being out of production (and pro-painted!!) makes a model's value go up at least tenfold :v:

E: can you just leave plastic models in simple green? It won't start eating away at them if you leave them in for too long (or forget about them altogether?)

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

Oh, you didn't know? Being out of production (and pro-painted!!) makes a model's value go up at least tenfold :v:

E: can you just leave plastic models in simple green? It won't start eating away at them if you leave them in for too long (or forget about them altogether?)

I have had various plastic models sitting in simple green for over a year to no ill effect.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

I don't care so much about the paint job - I mean, pro-painted is nice, but I'd rather do my own paint job even if it is lovely because otherwise it's not 'mine' - but some of those out of production models are really loving cool. Too bad most of them seem to be going for nearly $40 each. Going by this logic, I picked up a loving steal, but I still just paid more per model for used ones than I did for brand new ones. I think it was worth it though.

Now, to get more paints because holy poo poo 4 bases/2 layers/1 shade is not enough!

I do have a question about the ink washes I got though (kind of an impulse buy). I picked up some of the Army Painter ink washes - strong, dark and light tone, they were only a few dollars each - but I'm not sure if ink washes and shade paints in general need to be thinned as well? Do they just get painted on like other paints, and they magically recede in to the cracks? Or do I paint them on in some special way? The few guides I've found on the washes seem to just take the attitude that the reader already knows how to paint with washes, and just needs to know how best to take advantage of them.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Finished up Sammael tonight before I head out

I left the book mostly blank for his owner to fill in, since I can't freehand for poo poo.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Gammon posted:

Man, I had no idea it was that easy. Looks like I'm buying me some acetone, and the painted miniatures. I can't believe just how expensive some individual models are on eBay, even if they are out of production.

It's pretty much the only good thing about metal miniatures.

Gammon posted:

I do have a question about the ink washes I got though (kind of an impulse buy). I picked up some of the Army Painter ink washes - strong, dark and light tone, they were only a few dollars each - but I'm not sure if ink washes and shade paints in general need to be thinned as well? Do they just get painted on like other paints, and they magically recede in to the cracks? Or do I paint them on in some special way? The few guides I've found on the washes seem to just take the attitude that the reader already knows how to paint with washes, and just needs to know how best to take advantage of them.

If it's a "traditional" ink you'll probably need to hit it with some matte varnish when you're done, because they can dry a bit glossy. Varnish is good anyway, so no biggie.

As far as painting it on, you can thin it like paint if you want a more subtle effect, and you can put on multiple coats. It will then magically recede into the cracks, but sometimes there are issues with pooling (new GW washes are better about that). You can either just paint it where you want it or paint it on and then blot off where you don't want it.

CrotchPheasant fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 30, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CrotchPheasant posted:

If they're metal, throw them in something with some acetone (nail polish) and the paint will be falling off in minutes.
Or you'll discover that acetone makes your primer into gummy mess sticking to the minis as soon as you take them out of the jar. Then it's nitro solvent for you, and that poo poo's toxic as gently caress. (but awesome. But seriously, strip outside AND use a respirator. And get thick gloves dunno what kind since it eats through latex.)

Sole.Sushi posted:

Some do, yes; the new guy running my local GW store runs the whole, high-pressure "everything we make is the best for miniatures and specifically formulated for them" shtick that really makes me hate life.

:v: "Hey buddy, welcome to the Games Workshop store!"
:confused: "I'm actually a regular. Where's the other manager..?"
:v: "Oh he no longer works here. So have you heard of our products before?"
:confused: "Uh, yes. I'm painting a Grey Knight army at the moment."
:v: "Oh man, those guys are so awesome on the tabletop! What do you need to finish the army off?"
:confused: "Nothing at the moment... Just need some paint."
:v: "You know, our brush sets are terrific and made specifically for our paints! And our painting guides can teach you everything you need to know about painting!"
These guys are awesome, one visit in my new GW store and I no longer feel the need to buy anything GW! I mean, I play Infinity, to there's SF, I've got the Reaper box incoming in several months so that should cover fantasy, I've mostly switched to Vallejo/Reaper paints, I hate the GW brushes/dice/whatever anyway. I think I'm a happier man for that :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pierzak posted:

These guys are awesome, one visit in my new GW store and I no longer feel the need to buy anything GW! I mean, I play Infinity, to there's SF, I've got the Reaper box incoming in several months so that should cover fantasy, I've mostly switched to Vallejo/Reaper paints, I hate the GW brushes/dice/whatever anyway. I think I'm a happier man for that :)

Posts like this warm my cold, black, bitter, shriveled heart. :)

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Right, small and simple steps. I think I have mostly finished with the actual model now. I am not sure what to do about his eyes though, thoughts?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking as a complete painting moron I'd say leave it as is :shobon:

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Man I wish DC jump chaplains were worth the points on the tabletop because that model is baller as gently caress.

As for the eyes, they look fine right now, the rest of the mini has enough detail and contrast that it doesn't look unfinished or bad or anything. If you wanted you could do some lenses with that whole gem painting trick, or maybe make the eyes glow and do some subtle OSL?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Honey Badger posted:

Man I wish DC jump chaplains were worth the points on the tabletop because that model is baller as gently caress.

As for the eyes, they look fine right now, the rest of the mini has enough detail and contrast that it doesn't look unfinished or bad or anything. If you wanted you could do some lenses with that whole gem painting trick, or maybe make the eyes glow and do some subtle OSL?

Yeah I dont play so I was disappointed when i heard that they were no good. Probably one of the best minis that GW have produced.

I tried the gem effect but I cant get it so that the lense flare does not look like a pupil. I might try OSL but it has always ended up looking terrible when I have tried before.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
No rush on my air brush question.

I was using it today, and having the same problems, until I gave up. When I was cleaning it out accidentally broke that piece that holds the needle in place at the tip. I think I tightened it back on too strong. The screw threading just ripped away leaving half of it in my airbrush with no way to get it out. I'm not sure what metal that bit is made out of, but man, I was not even going overboard.

:smith: There goes $214...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

No rush on my air brush question.

I was using it today, and having the same problems, until I gave up. When I was cleaning it out accidentally broke that piece that holds the needle in place at the tip. I think I tightened it back on too strong. The screw threading just ripped away leaving half of it in my airbrush with no way to get it out. I'm not sure what metal that bit is made out of, but man, I was not even going overboard.

:smith: There goes $214...

1) Depending on your airbrush, you may already have a replacement nozzle in the box it came in. They break sometimes, and most manufacturers are aware of that. Failing already having one, you can get one from them directly.
2) Push a wooden skewer/chopstick/whatever into the hole (one a bit bigger than the hole that the threads left you). Wedge it in tight with the hole, and start twisting as if you were unscrewing the nozzle.
3) Most nozzles are made of brass.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've assembled my Monolith but there are some gnarly mismatches where some of the walls meet. Do I treat them like the world's biggest mould lines and scrape them down, or just ignore them and hope the black on black will hide them when it's painted?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Finished 5 of the assault marines so far, the rest have to be stripped before I start on them. I gave the squad leader a plasma pistol (and 2 melta bombs), but he's pointing it straight at the camera so you can't quite see it. I still need to touch up a few of them (especially the 4th one from the left, it's funny how a camera flash helps you find those spots :v: ) but they pass the 3 ft test pretty easy.

I have like 6 different colors on each one :negative:

Leadbelcher
Abbadon Black
Warplock Bronze
Castellan Green
Mephiston Red
Gehenna's Gold

and washed over with Nuln Oil. Thanks for the tip to get a pot of that stuff, I like how it makes them look a bit dirty and weathered.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 30, 2012

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I posted some WIP shots in the Scale modelling thread a while back of a 1:32 scale BSG Viper MKII I made, and I just got a cool display case for the finished thing.

I'm tempted now to get some LED strip lights to line the inside bottom edges.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Unf. That's delicious. That you can keep that thing under glass and not fly it around the room with your hand making pew pew noises says a lot for your strength of will.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Just finished up the prototype scheme of some Dire Avengers that have been taunting me for too long. Unfortunately, I've been working on a fire prism, and the scheme hasn't been translating well to vehicles. I'll finish it off, and hope it looks better when it's done, because I think it looks pretty rocken' on infantry.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Yeah I dont play so I was disappointed when i heard that they were no good. Probably one of the best minis that GW have produced.

I tried the gem effect but I cant get it so that the lense flare does not look like a pupil. I might try OSL but it has always ended up looking terrible when I have tried before.

He's up there with the Terminator armor Librarian and Rune Priest for gorgeous minis I want to buy and paint even though I have no use for them in my army.

Maybe some day when I'm not a broke-rear end college student :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This rules! Definitely get the lights in the display case.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Part 2 wip

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Man, that is just loving incredible. So much better than anything I could hope to do. What colour(s) do you use for the flesh?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Between you and big_g I now have a massive urge to make display cases for my army with awesome backdrops from the FW books.

My mooooooney :argh:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

These look pretty drat good, nice work.

They look similar to the paintingclinic.com guy's eldar.

I think he did a guide for his fire prism. Might be worth checking out.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Hixson posted:

These look pretty drat good, nice work.

They look similar to the paintingclinic.com guy's eldar.

I think he did a guide for his fire prism. Might be worth checking out.

Shamelessly cribbed from him, yeh. My purple's turning out more of a pastel instead of a bright purple, though, which is making the vehicle look kinda muted.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Crossposting from the oath thread

I kinda hope they make new Guardians when the Eldar get a refresh.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That green monolith is screaming for drybrushed highlights, but everything else looks outstanding!

Are they standing on a first-edition Blood Bowl astrogranite field?

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

moths posted:

Are they standing on a first-edition Blood Bowl astrogranite field?

Yeah, I thought it would make a good backdrop.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gammon posted:

Man, that is just loving incredible. So much better than anything I could hope to do. What colour(s) do you use for the flesh?

The basecoat was a mix of Dark Flesh+Elf flesh, then washed with a thin glaze of carroburg crimson + druchii violet and then another of pure violet in the deepest recesses.

Then the skin was highlighted by just adding Elf flesh into the mix and for the final bits, a touch of bleached bone was put in.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Honey Badger posted:

He's up there with the Terminator armor Librarian and Rune Priest for gorgeous minis I want to buy and paint even though I have no use for them in my army.

Maybe some day when I'm not a broke-rear end college student :smith:

Lemartes really improved over his old model:

Yeah, that's a banner pole he's holding.

And you should add a terminator chaplain to your list.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Had a go at one of the cultists, pretty generic simple colour scheme as I'm not entirely decided on what scheme to paint the chaos marines yet. The red will be changed to whatever colour the legion I go with uses (at the moment Word Bearers)

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Ma n RichyP, you really know how to paint flesh well.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

CyberLord XP posted:

Ma n RichyP, you really know how to paint flesh well.

On a white base its pretty easy to do, I hated doing it when I used to prime black. Basically it's:

1) Wash(flood) with devlan (Hairdryer it dry because I'm impatient)
2) Water down Tallarn Flesh so it's ridiculously thin and paint over the wash (gives free shading thanks to the wash showing through)
3) Introduce VMC Sand (similar to a mix of Bleached bone and yellow) to the thin mix above and apply in various places.

On black it was always the reverse, with a thick layer of Tallarn first, ending in a wash, result is similar but it tends to turn out a bit pinker. I found an old image that did the technique on black:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I really need to start priming white. It just seems to work a lot better for doing colours.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It really is, but it's also a lot more work. No more just leaving bits black as shadow. Really noticed the difference when I went back to a black undercoat for Nemesor Zahndrehk, I could be super lazy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Priming white, a wash and basing with thinned colors is definitely something I want to try! It's too bad everything I'm planning to paint next month is going to be pretty dark.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I dont think I want to prime black again. The lemartes I did above was primed grey and he turned out fine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've never primed grey, I should really experiment with that. Maybe this month's Oath.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
It just makes things so much easier working with all the light parts of the paint job even if the majority of it is black. Dark colours will get great coverage regardless of the undercoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

krushgroove posted:

Priming white, a wash and basing with thinned colors is definitely something I want to try! It's too bad everything I'm planning to paint next month is going to be pretty dark.

It's great for a lot of things, but as mentioned you can't leave any gaps (hence why I always pre-wash) and metals are a total pain so you need an intermediate colour as a base. I use brown for golds and bronzes and grey for silvers.

• Locked thread