Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah. There's a reason that even the clanners put her in a glory coffin. On the other hand, she's player controlled so she doesn't actually get to kill herself this mission. Hell, with all her bonuses on (counting Wilberforce) she shoots at gunnery 0...speaking of which, will the tiny range on her small laser prevent her from ever claiming her Alpha Strike bonus, or will you let her get away with firing all guns that are in range? Maybe if we shoot in Ultra mode to make up the difference?

Wilberforce's Cyclops IIC still has command functionality, right?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah. There's a reason that even the clanners put her in a glory coffin. On the other hand, she's player controlled so she doesn't actually get to kill herself this mission.

While we're on the subject of Piet, will the tiny range on her small laser prevent her from ever claiming her Alpha Strike bonus, or will you let her get away with firing all available weaponry?

She can shoot a tree.

Also the po has no more flamers, the merlin has 1. Po got some Mlas to make it... well better at fight.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Also: it is a huge mistake putting a 1/1 mechwarrior in that suicide-machine Hussar that has a single inner-sphere large laser, and then putting your worst mechwarrior (Piet) into the Banshee IIC: a much bigger (assault class), more important (clantech) mech with more and better weapons for her to miss with. What a waste.

What makes you think you had any option to move him elsewhere?

Voyager I posted:

will the tiny range on her small laser prevent her from ever claiming her Alpha Strike bonus

Yes. All guns on the `Mech at the same target. I was kinda surprised she wound up in the Banshee but honestly you're almost certainly going to be knife fighting anyway.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Please for the love of God have a coherent plan and please work together otherwise this will end horrendously badly for Goonbattalion.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would point out that PTN has never stopped people from firing weapons that had zero chance of hitting. You'd get your Alpha Strike bonus if you fired with them out of range of the small laser, it would just have an attack roll of over 12. :eng101:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Please for the love of God have a coherent plan and please work together otherwise this will end horrendously badly for Goonbattalion.

Maybe you should wish for something a little more plausible, like magic dice.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It means I'm letting a player control her, rather than rolling a d6 to see whether she suicide charges or not.

Fortunately for all involved, I know precisely dick about playing the tabletop game.
Therefore I will be the one rolling the d6 to see whether she suicide charges or not.
:black101:

Edit: Is there a google doc for planning floating around yet?

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 30, 2012

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zaodai posted:

I would point out that PTN has never stopped people from firing weapons that had zero chance of hitting. You'd get your Alpha Strike bonus if you fired with them out of range of the small laser, it would just have an attack roll of over 12. :eng101:

Honestly, I wouldn't put it bast Piet to mash the "FIRE EVERYTHING" button just for the cathartic effect, regardless of whether or not all her weapons were actually in range.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah. I think I've PMed it to everyone who has PMs thus far.

If you don't have it, either ping me, or the doc is here. Request access with your SA username.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

quote:

Nice knowing you, Dead Commandos

No, kidding. Observe:

quote:

Pilot: Hastur

Hell's Horses, you maniacs! What dread bargains have you wrought :gonk: ?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Yep, I got it. At a friends house, but I'll hop on in the morning. Posting from my phone at the moment. So...using an archer in what will become knife fighting. I like my odds.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Farseli posted:

Yep, I got it. At a friends house, but I'll hop on in the morning. Posting from my phone at the moment. So...using an archer in what will become knife fighting. I like my odds.

There are three mechs from the original Yan Company still on the field, one of which is wearing a new face. Old Archie is a lucky ride at this point, and you have a chance to continue her proud tradition of survival by being the least attractive target on the board!

That, or get a spotter for indirect and make sure to keep at least one hill between you and everything else.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Voyager I posted:

There are three mechs from the original Yan Company still on the field, one of which is wearing a new face. Old Archie is a lucky ride at this point, and you have a chance to continue her proud tradition of survival by being the least attractive target on the board!

That, or get a spotter for indirect and make sure to keep at least one hill between you and everything else.

I see a beautiful friendship blossoming between the Archer and the pay-no-loving-attention-to-the-AC/20 Hunchback this mission.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Indeed, though I would keep in mind that PTN's clanners tend to act a lot like people when their rules of engagement become particularly bothersome. "Prioritize other targets" is probably going to mean exactly what it sounds like; they won't go out of their way to engage her and will generally consider her less important than other mechs they have shots at. I would not count on them pretending she doesn't exist just because they wouldn't consider killing her to be exciting.

Seeing our Bondsmen in action should still be fun. Steve is functionally a 2/2 right now (I guess he really didn't like his old boss), and both he and Piet can potentially shoot at Gunnery 0 if they get their bonuses lined up. Piet's will be tricky, but between JJs and initiative wins Steve shouldn't have much trouble. And yeah, an AC/20 with Gunnery 2 that nobody much cares about...that's some comeuppances waiting to happen.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

That is entirely too many ERLL to be fighting in an open field.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo my turn finally came up time to, time to kick some rear end and...

*looks at opforce*

:stare:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Get in close, control LOS, brawl.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:objection: Tag acts as a Spotter and is much better than just using a mech to call it in. Spare the hunchy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Is it wrong that I want to see a Clanner alpha strike the Hussar? That mech would get completely vaporized.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Is it wrong that I want to see the Rifleman IIC alpha strike the Hussar? That mech would get completely vaporized.

Fixed that for you!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

raverrn posted:

That is entirely too many ERLL to be fighting in an open field.

Jokes on you, they're all LPLs!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Jokes on you, they're all LPLs!

Oh.

...oh.

:(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not all of them! There're a few ER Large Lasers in the mix!

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Since this thread is my only experience with Battletech, I'm not much of a tactical authority, but I look at a light 'Mech with a good pilot and a big gun and a voice in my head starts chanting "Backstab! Backstab! Backstab!"

...although maybe the field needs to be thinned out first? No idea.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not all of them! There're a few ER Large Lasers in the mix!

It's a shame that pilot that complained the Mojave mech was made of "concentrated bullshit" isn't in this mission, as Clantech would show him what that REALLY meant.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think you would normally want to keep a mech like that on the outside edge of its effective range with the best move modifier you can get. You want to make yourself as hard as possible to hit, because getting touched by anything big is probably going to kill you.

Of course, that plan might change given the terrain and the fact that there's a shitload of LPLs on the table (gently caress you Rifleman IIC), but hopefully the little guy can at least make itself hard enough to hit that it's not worth shooting at (or they have to divert more fire than they really wanted to to take it down).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

KnightLight posted:

Since this thread is my only experience with Battletech, I'm not much of a tactical authority, but I look at a light 'Mech with a good pilot and a big gun and a voice in my head starts chanting "Backstab! Backstab! Backstab!"

...although maybe the field needs to be thinned out first? No idea.

Are you driving the Hussar? If you are:

1) Move through as many hexes as possible each turn.

2) Put as much terrain between you and other 'mechs as possible.

3) Stay at or just under 15 range.

The odds of you making out of this if it turns into a fight are not good, but you can make them work for it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

raverrn posted:

The odds of you making out of this if it turns into a fight are not good, but you can make them work for it.

I'd think that on this sort of map, 15 hexes distance is going to be pretty hard to come by without blocking LOS entirely. What's more important really is that other mechs present better targets and let the Hussar lurk a little farther away.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Voyager I posted:

(gently caress you Rifleman IIC)

He went from derp to dick just by using my patented "Charles Atlas Bolt As Many LPLs On That Mech As You Possibly Can" Diet.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

raverrn posted:

That's me! At least I get a neat mech in the blackjack (especially with improved heatsinks). :v:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Just to confirm, PTN my LRM does in fact have no ammo, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorac posted:

Just to confirm, PTN my LRM does in fact have no ammo, right?

... No? I probably just forgot to list it.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Second call for googlydoc. We've only got six people in. Need a few more.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Andrevian posted:

Second call for googlydoc. We've only got six people in. Need a few more.

I haven't even sent out the pilot e-mails/PMs yet. Some people likely don't realize their time to pilot has come.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's time for another mech design competition. The theme is "The PTN Armory". Here's my entry:

PTN-FU1 Peeteeyen

Mass: 60 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: Vlar 300 Fusion XL
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 85 kph
Advanced Motive: none
Jump Jets: Standard
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Ferro-Fiberous
Cockpit: Standard
Armament:
Pulse Laser (Large)
Pulse Laser (Large)
LB 10-X AC
Retractable Blade
Manufacturer: Poptarts Heavy Industries
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard

code:
Type: 	PTN-FU1 Peeteeyen
Technology Base: 	Clan / 3075
Ruleset: 	Standard (5th edition)	
Tonnage: 	60	
Cost: 	12,391,360 C-bills	
Battle Value: 	1,784	
Equipment 		Mass
Internal Structure: 	Endo Steel 	3.0
Engine: 	300 	9.5
Type: 	Fusion XL 	
Walking MP: 	5 	
Running MP: 	8 	
Jumping MP: 	5 	
Heat Sinks: 	11 [22] 	1.0
Gyro: 	Standard 	3.0
Cockpit: 		3.0
Armor Factor: 	163 	8.5
	Internal
Structure 	Armor
Value
Head 	3 	9
Center Torso 	20 	28
Center Torso (rear) 		8
L/R Torso 	14/14 	18/18
L/R Torso (rear) 		5/5
L/R Arms 	10/10 	15/15
L/R Legs 	14/14 	21/21
Weapons and Ammo 	Location 	Crits 	Tons
Pulse Laser (Large) 	RA 	2 	6.0
Pulse Laser (Large) 	RA 	2 	6.0
LB 10-X AC 	LT 	5 	10.0
Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 	LT 	1 	1.0
Ammo (LB 10-X) 10 	LT 	1 	1.0
Retractable Blade 	LA 	4 	3.0

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I haven't even sent out the pilot e-mails/PMs yet. Some people likely don't realize their time to pilot has come.

Ah, good point. I'm not panicking. Who said I'm panicking?

Skillness622
Apr 9, 2009
PTN, Is the Anklebiter a straight Kit Fox A or have you jazzed it up Hellbringer-stylee?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Skillness622 posted:

PTN, Is the Anklebiter a straight Kit Fox A or have you jazzed it up Hellbringer-stylee?

I don't really have much need to alter a design that already has FF/Endo/XL Engine.

VV People who have played stay on the list. We'll loop around if we hit the end.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 30, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Gooncompany. You can't loose this one you know that right? You really can't. You're not allowed to.

PTN I have to ask is it possible to get put in the waiting list again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just make sure you let the copperhead hang himself with his own rope or you'll never be rid of him.

• Locked thread