Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I grew up in northeast Mississippi, the son of two staunch conservatives. I also said "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" with a straight face and identified as Libertarian. After working with hardcore conservatives and libertarians as an engineer in defense contracting, I began to realize how their entire reality was shaped by spite, greed and privilege. I started to realize why Mississippi and the South was so poor. It is sad really, because these poor people think they have it all figured out, but live miserable lives to try and get a taste of the scraps handed to them by the captains of industry, who they worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Jervas Dudley posted:

People can and do get past that crap, but there's not much point in arguing with them.

Upon reflection, I want to revise this. They probably won't change their position, but it is worth pointing out the factual errors and flaws in their arguments. Seeing arguments that I would have made refuted and mocked was a major factor in reshaping my opinions.

It's easy to believe and parrot Ron Paul's arguments when he's making them to a cheering crowd. It's harder when it's some jackass on the internet's argument getting factually refuted and mocked by other jackasses. Then you notice they're making the same arguments.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My local DMV here in California is great too; nearly instant if you make an appointment, and fairly quick and painless even if you don't, unless you go during the lunch rush.

People who think private enterprise should be running more things should try to get sales help at Best Buy.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I don't get how the DMV is supposed to work if it's privatized. If the whole system is taken over by one company, how is that a free market solution? There's no competition and no need to try to win over customers to maximize profit, which according to the government-is-evil people is the whole problem with the DMV in the first place.

Or do they envision a world in which anyone be allowed to start a company that issues drivers licenses and administers road tests? And if so, does renewing my license at Wal-Mart mean I'm not supporting the Mom-and-Pop licensing outlets?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Leospeare posted:

I don't get how the DMV is supposed to work if it's privatized. If the whole system is taken over by one company, how is that a free market solution? There's no competition and no need to try to win over customers to maximize profit, which according to the government-is-evil people is the whole problem with the DMV in the first place.

Or do they envision a world in which anyone be allowed to start a company that issues drivers licenses and administers road tests? And if so, does renewing my license at Wal-Mart mean I'm not supporting the Mom-and-Pop licensing outlets?

Well, anyone arguing for privatization of the DMV probably doesn't care about mom and pop stores since they are clearly inferior to the genius of WalMart's force of capitalism.

But I don't think anyone actually advocates for that - rather, the DMV is a stereotypically bad thing the government handles therefore all government isn't the solution...it's the problem! :haw: also do we have a Reagan smiley? :gipper:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

And if so, does renewing my license at Wal-Mart mean I'm not supporting the Mom-and-Pop licensing outlets?

We switched to private registries (which handle things the DMV does in the US) a while back here in Alberta, Canada. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I've never seen a registry built into another business - they've always been standalone shops. Some are part of chains, others are independently owned.

Most people (including myself) seem to agree they are a lot better than the old government run ones, mostly because they're far more numerous and distributed.

I'm not trying to make a larger point - I'm very much in favor of, say, universal health care - I'm just identifying a minefield that you might not want to wander into. As it turns out, there's good examples of privatizing things like the DMV and having it turn out well. There's varying costs and benefits to private and publicly run services, and not every service is going to have the same answer. By comparison, the privatization of telephone services (also within my memory here) was much more of a wash - and, again, I'd hate to have the crazy quilt healthcare system Americans deal with.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Leospeare posted:

All this comes with the assumption that government is inherently inefficient and that companies and super-efficient. Capitalism provide the best product possible for the least price.

Problem is that this is often not true, and especially bad when companies are providing an important service where they know the can rape consumers. Companies often are in a race to the bottom in terms of quality. Profit is the main concern, not the consumer.

Not to say that there are certain fields that could possible benefit from privatization. It's just that people need to be careful not to be knee-jerk capitalists.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

The main problem I see with the DMV in the US is that it suffers from the Starve the Beast mentality. The ones that don't run well are ones that are underfunded because services get cut. The result is they end up with 20 people waiting on three DMV employees, one of which is out doing driving tests. And then they have to cut back the hours they're open, forcing more people to show up either first thing in the morning or during lunch breaks, further exacerbating the problem. You end up with huge rush periods, followed by hours of very few people.

Its almost like going to a Chick-fil-a during lunch rush hour and complaining that they don't know what they're doing because the line is out the door. But I guess that's different because private enterprises are

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leospeare posted:

This is pretty accurate actually. I used to believe this (I was sort of a libertarian up until college, though Ron Paul wasn't a household name yet so I didn't have a name to attach to it) and I think its pretty common among libertarians:
Basically, if a major corporation becomes large, they did so because they offered a good service at a reasonable price. If the service ever declines, with hard work and gumption a plucky mom and pop store could rise up. If their service is superior, they will get more customers.

You could write an encyclopedia on why these ideas are wrong but many libertarians hold them to be a universal truth. It's a Just-World Fallacy in action, people succeed because they tried hard and have talent, and fail because they just didn't try hard enough.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Leospeare posted:

If DMVs are privatized, then what's to stop the new DMV-MartTM from handing out licenses to anyone that pays them enough money? "Oh, you don't have eyes? That's okay. Surely you'll echolocate the other cars on the road! That'll be $25.00, please!"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mom decided to share more from Crazy Uncle. I screenshotted my email and partially cut off the C.S. Lewis quote while getting rid of personal data.

I love the photograph screenshots of Fox News. Oh hell, all of it's a great big wheel o' amusement.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mom decided to share more from Crazy Uncle. I screenshotted my email and partially cut off the C.S. Lewis quote while getting rid of personal data.

img

I love the photograph screenshots of Fox News. Oh hell, all of it's a great big wheel o' amusement.

I love the chart that stops in 2008 and is still Obama's fault.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The worst thing is a lot of these are true but also dishonest as gently caress blaming it all on Obama. They always compare the current economy to the one at the start of 2008. To really see the job Obama has done, they should compare the current economy to half-way through 2009, when Obama really had a chance to implement policies. But they won't because things have improved (slowly, but they have).

It's why "are you better off now than four years ago?" is such a brilliant yet devious question to ask.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

^^^ My favorite is the one about private sector experienced cabinet appointees. Like...what the gently caress how is that relevant at all?

constantIllusion posted:

If DMVs are privatized, then what's to stop the new DMV-MartTM from handing out licenses to anyone that pays them enough money? "Oh, you don't have eyes? That's okay. Surely you'll echolocate the other cars on the road! That'll be $25.00, please!"

People will stop supporting a company that engages in unsafe practices, this is historically proven fact you idiot.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 30, 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Incorrect Username posted:

The worst thing is a lot of these are true but also dishonest as gently caress blaming it all on Obama. They always compare the current economy to the one at the start of 2008. To really see the job Obama has done, they should compare the current economy to half-way through 2009, when Obama really had a chance to implement policies. But they won't because things have improved (slowly, but they have).

It's why "are you better off now than four years ago?" is such a brilliant yet devious question to ask.

The other parts that bothered me were:

1) Comparing Obama's four year average to Bush's 8 year average, which nicely balances out the enormous crash right at the end of Bush's presidency but which had already affected the beginning of Obama's four years
2) Comparing the average of Obama's four years mired in the biggest recession since WWII to the averages of Bush and Clinton, one of whom helped create an economic boom and the other of whom rode it into the ground
3) Incredibly disingenuous stuff that just completely ignores the fact that the US was hit by an enormous recession just before Obama came into office. What's that? Unemployment is higher in a recession? Please, tell me more! Food stamps increase when people lose jobs and can't afford food? Holy poo poo, you're a genius!
4) "U.S. sovereign debt downgrade: first in American history"... because the Republicans engaged in dangerous brinksmanship that meant Standard & Poor's had to cite political volatility in their reason for downgrading

If you want an example of the cognitive dissonance these people operate under, look at #4 there and see how when a Republican Congress does something and it's bad, then it's Obama's fault. But when a Democratic president does something good (Clinton's surplus budgets) they reframe the question to be about the Speaker of the House rather than the president, so that it looks like the Republican Congress was responsible for it instead of the president.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

People will stop supporting a company that engages in unsafe practices, this is historically proven fact you idiot.
"I'm sorry to hear your family died as a result of the actions of ChemCo, INC., but with their sacrifice the rest of the country knew to stop using their products! ChemCo is no more, there's no need for more business-killing regulation. On a completely unrelated note, can I interest you in some of these fine CoChem products?" :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wait, are you saying that if the DMV gives dangerous drivers licences then the public will stop using their services and not get drivers licences themselves?

You should call people idiots while spewing nonsense. The whole point is that the Gov't provides services in a manner that is not the same as the private sector. DMV is a good example of how a for profit attitude would mess things up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

^^^ My favorite is the one about private sector experienced cabinet appointees. Like...what the gently caress how is that relevant at all?

Union. loving. Carbide.
Deathtoll: 4000+
Injuries:40 000+
2009 revenue: 7 billion

I'm convinced!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I was kidding. You'll see I argued against privatization in the post right before that one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I was kidding. You'll see I argued against privatization in the post right before that one.
I knew what you were saying at least! :hfive:

My latest frustration is people disrespecting the office of the President. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, but these were the exact same people getting up in arms for people calling Bush stupid and ignorant.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Stop with the class warfare liberals

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amused to Death posted:

I love these stupid things, but this may be the dumbest one I've ever seen.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Amused to Death posted:

Well, without a social safety net a large swath of the poor people may die of starvation, lacking medical care, crime, exposure, etc. So in that instance, maybe Romney does want fewer poor people. By letting them die in the gutters. :getin:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Well, without a social safety net a large swath of the poor people may die of starvation, lacking medical care, crime, exposure, etc. So in that instance, maybe Romney does want fewer poor people. By letting them die in the gutters. :getin:

Romney has a modest proposal for dealing with the poor, entitled 47% in the country. Coincidentally do you fancy some veal?

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

I knew what you were saying at least! :hfive:

My latest frustration is people disrespecting the office of the President. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, but these were the exact same people getting up in arms for people calling Bush stupid and ignorant.

Exactly! One of my friends' husband is a military fanatic. He's never served, and doesn't know anyone who has. When Bush was running for his second term, they voted for him because, "He's our Commander and Chief, and we must follow his orders." :bang:

I've thought about using that quote on my "Nobama" friends. But I don't want to sound like an idiot.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Reasons NOT to vote for Obama!

First President to apply for college aid as a foreign student, then deny he was a foreigner.
First President to have a social security number from a state he has never lived in.
First President to preside over a cut to the credit-rating of the United States.
First President to violate the War Powers Act.
First President to be held in contempt of court for illegally obstructing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.
First President to defy a Federal Judge’s court order to cease implementing the Health Care Reform Law.
First President to require all Americans to purchase a product from a third party, a violation of the U.S. Constitution.
First President to spend a trillion dollars on ‘shovel-ready’ jobs when there was no such thing as ‘shovel-ready’ jobs.
First President to recommend changing our National Anthem as it portrays and promotes violence and is warlike in its theme.
First President to cancel the National Day of Prayer Breakfast and activities.
First President to initiate a Cash for Clunkers Program to clean up exhaust that adds to global warming, then extended it because it was so popular — wasting hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.
First President to abrogate bankruptcy law to turn over control of companies to his union supporters.
First President to bypass Congress and implement the Dream Act through executive fiat.
First President to order a secret amnesty program that stopped the deportation of illegal immigrants across the U.S., including those with criminal convictions.
First President to demand a company hand over $20 billion to one of his political appointees.
First President to terminate America’s ability to put a man in space.
First President to have a law signed by an auto-pen without being present.
First President to arbitrarily declare an existing law unconstitutional and refuse to enforce it.
First President to threaten insurance companies if they publicly spoke out on the reasons for their rate increases.
First President to tell a major manufacturing company which state they are allowed to locate a factory in.
First President to file lawsuits against the states he swore an oath to protect (AZ, WI, OH, IN).
First President to withdraw an existing coal permit that had been properly issued years ago.
First President to fire an inspector general of Americorps for catching one of his friends in a corruption case.
First President to appoint 45 czars to replace elected officials in his office.
First President to golf 73 separate times in his first two and a half years in office, 90 to date.
First President to pledge complete transparency while campaigning, then hide his medical, educational,and travel records.
First President to win a Nobel Peace Prize for doing NOTHING to earn it.
First President to go on multiple global ‘apology tours’.
First President to go on 17 lavish vacations, including date nights and Wednesday evening White House parties for his friends; paid for by the taxpayer.
First President to have 22 personal servants (taxpayer funded) for his wife.
First President to keep a dog trainer on retainer for $102,000 a year at taxpayer expense.
First President to repeat the Holy Qur’an and tells us that the early morning Islamic call to worship is the most beautiful sound on earth.
Now it is up to us Freedom-loving Americans to see to it that he is voted out after his FIRST term. May God bless America again. Stay safe, and be aware of your surroundings.

I do not even know where to begin with this list. The apology tour, the golfing, changing the anthem or date nights.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh friend. You don't even know... That was just the first draft of that. It kept getting added to and added to.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

I've long since purged my news feed of other peoples' mind-diarrhea, but I do choose to keep one person on because otherwise my news feed would be full of bland, rational posting. Here's something from last week:

In case you didn't knowthug = friend of the family

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I don't think that person knows the meanings of the words "abrogate," "bankruptcy," or "law."

clownpenis posted:

In case you didn't knowthug = friend of the family

Does that include all union members?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

XyloJW posted:

Oh friend. You don't even know... That was just the first draft of that. It kept getting added to and added to.

I can't even tell if this one is real or a parody and I read the parody thread.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What the he'll is the "Cop killing weather underground"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Reasons NOT to vote for Obama!

First President to apply for college aid as a foreign student, then deny he was a foreigner.
First President to have a social security number from a state he has never lived in.
First President to preside over a cut to the credit-rating of the United States.
First President to violate the War Powers Act.
First President to be held in contempt of court for illegally obstructing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.
First President to defy a Federal Judge’s court order to cease implementing the Health Care Reform Law.
First President to require all Americans to purchase a product from a third party, a violation of the U.S. Constitution.
First President to spend a trillion dollars on ‘shovel-ready’ jobs when there was no such thing as ‘shovel-ready’ jobs.
First President to recommend changing our National Anthem as it portrays and promotes violence and is warlike in its theme.
First President to cancel the National Day of Prayer Breakfast and activities.
First President to initiate a Cash for Clunkers Program to clean up exhaust that adds to global warming, then extended it because it was so popular — wasting hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.
First President to abrogate bankruptcy law to turn over control of companies to his union supporters.
First President to bypass Congress and implement the Dream Act through executive fiat.
First President to order a secret amnesty program that stopped the deportation of illegal immigrants across the U.S., including those with criminal convictions.
First President to demand a company hand over $20 billion to one of his political appointees.
First President to terminate America’s ability to put a man in space.
First President to have a law signed by an auto-pen without being present.
First President to arbitrarily declare an existing law unconstitutional and refuse to enforce it.
First President to threaten insurance companies if they publicly spoke out on the reasons for their rate increases.
First President to tell a major manufacturing company which state they are allowed to locate a factory in.
First President to file lawsuits against the states he swore an oath to protect (AZ, WI, OH, IN).
First President to withdraw an existing coal permit that had been properly issued years ago.
First President to fire an inspector general of Americorps for catching one of his friends in a corruption case.
First President to appoint 45 czars to replace elected officials in his office.
First President to golf 73 separate times in his first two and a half years in office, 90 to date.
First President to pledge complete transparency while campaigning, then hide his medical, educational,and travel records.
First President to win a Nobel Peace Prize for doing NOTHING to earn it.
First President to go on multiple global ‘apology tours’.
First President to go on 17 lavish vacations, including date nights and Wednesday evening White House parties for his friends; paid for by the taxpayer.
First President to have 22 personal servants (taxpayer funded) for his wife.
First President to keep a dog trainer on retainer for $102,000 a year at taxpayer expense.
First President to repeat the Holy Qur’an and tells us that the early morning Islamic call to worship is the most beautiful sound on earth.
Now it is up to us Freedom-loving Americans to see to it that he is voted out after his FIRST term. May God bless America again. Stay safe, and be aware of your surroundings.

I do not even know where to begin with this list. The apology tour, the golfing, changing the anthem or date nights.
While all of this is false and stupid, the bolded part cracks me up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

While all of this is false and stupid, the bolded part cracks me up.

The Supreme Court literally said it didn't. Its insane how twisted this all is.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bombadilillo posted:

What the he'll is the "Cop killing weather underground"

he'll?

1960s radical group BILL AYERS BILL AYERS BILL AYERS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground

This guilt-by-association crap works great...once you convert any group or person into a synonym for BADEVILDEMONTERRORIST you taint everyone who's ever spoken with them or read their newsletter.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bombadilillo posted:

I wouldn't call it twisted, just completely out of touch with reality. The only thing real in it is the fact that Obama is President.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 1, 2012

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

When that whole thing started last year, the Supreme Court hadn't ruled on it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

XyloJW posted:

Well played Sir. I forget that these emails are generally decades old with a name changed! Not this one, of course but its still pretty old.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
I don't know if this is the thread for it, but I'm anticipating (read: dreading) forwards and/or macros about Hugo Chavez endorsing Obama.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

XyloJW posted:

We've been doing mandates for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
My brother just posted this on fb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfLUCBZ1is

Free enterprise is on the ropes, folks, we gotta turn this around.