Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

You should because Bloomington is great.

(I feel obligated to sell the city as a current IU student.)

Well, I'd like to sometime. I have friends who attend IU-B.

It's just 600 miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
So, I was all filled with anticipation to watch Berberian Sound Studio via the on demand service that was linked in the article, to discover that apparently due to living in the United States I am not actually allowed to watch the film. Any other way for me to see it, or am I just going to have to wait until some unestablished time in the future that it gets a stateside release?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

EvilUrchin posted:

So, I was all filled with anticipation to watch Berberian Sound Studio via the on demand service that was linked in the article, to discover that apparently due to living in the United States I am not actually allowed to watch the film. Any other way for me to see it, or am I just going to have to wait until some unestablished time in the future that it gets a stateside release?

It played at TIFF so hopefully it won't be long before it sees a release of some sort. The UK blu ray is released on 31 December, no news yet on region locking, I'll keep you posted.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Psalmanazar posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/cold-light-day.php?page=1

Also since Vargo asked, Richard Gere stopped being famous after a rumor that he shoved a hamster into his butt circulated widely.

Cold Light Of Day and Timothy Green reviews were funny and informative. Great job guys.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So Won't Back Down is a non-documentary version of Waiting for Superman except with even more hate for teachers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sean Hanson posted:

Compare Looper to recent sci-fi action duds like Total Recall, Resident Evil: Retribution and Chronicle,

The first three I can understand but Chronicle a dud? Come on.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Y-Hat posted:

So Won't Back Down is a non-documentary version of Waiting for Superman except with even more hate for teachers?

It has the same producers, even. Dude REAAAALY hates teachers.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The first three I can understand but Chronicle a dud? Come on.
Well, this is all subjective, but once we had that whiny little poo poo screaming about Wikipedia and apex predators, I pretty much lost my poo poo.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Chronicle.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does this mean Maggie Gyllenhaal is a tea party shill or something like that? When did that happen?:ohdear:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Speedboat Jones posted:

Does this mean Maggie Gyllenhaal is a tea party shill or something like that? When did that happen?:ohdear:

I honestly don't get it. She was also in the super-progressive Hysteria this year, so I don't know what to think.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vargo posted:

I honestly don't get it. She was also in the super-progressive Hysteria this year, so I don't know what to think.

Sexually liberal, fiscally conservative. Take no prisoners. :black101:

She also pretended to masturbate on camera in Secretary, so maybe not total tea party shill?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Probably the simplest explanation is that she doesn't care who's writing the check as long as she gets a check at the end of the day. I could be wrong though, as I have no idea about her political beliefs.

Also I didn't know that the guy behind that movie is also behind Waiting for Superman as well as opposing public schools for partially religious reasons.

Edit: I shouldn't be surprised that a nation where a good amount of people vote based on childish spite hate teachers for that exact reason, but it's still sickening to see it take full force in the past two years. Their hate for teachers hasn't subsided since grade school- it's just manifested itself in different ways.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 2, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Speedboat Jones posted:

For some reason that I can't comprehend, hating Teachers Unions is a cause that both parties have taken up. Won't Back Down screened at both the RNC and DNC conventions this year.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Apparently, Won't Back Down broke the record for the worst opening ever for such a wide release. $2.6 million from 2500+ screens. Granted, that's not quite Oogieloves bad, but still pretty awful.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

For Looper, what was the "one glaring plot hole" that you mentioned?

I went to the bathroom when he was getting salt picked out of his wounds but it seems to me that they never explained how the lady knew what a looper was? Why would anyone, not involved with loopers, know what a looper is? or that time travel existed? If people know that time travel existed, why did he start his explanation of his job with "in the future, time travel wioll haven be invented, and they need assassins, so..."

But again, I had to piss and missed two minutes.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Krinkle posted:

For Looper, what was the "one glaring plot hole" that you mentioned?
I could have an aneurysm at any minute while considering this, but here it goes: The way Young Joe shot himself, everything should go back to the way it was. In fact, I'm pretty sure the second Young Joe shot himself, he'd be back at the start of the film, alive and waiting for Old Joe to arrive. His suicide wouldn't be permanent in all realities, but it would bring the reality in which Old Joe wreaks havoc on his world to a close, and he'd get another chance to kill Old Joe the proper way.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

But the way they defined time travel, changes to the timestream happen suddenly and everyone remembers them being otherwise. You see the proto-looper look down in horror as messages appear scarred into his body, and his fingers disappear. He literally suddenly always was missing those fingers. That's why it was a shock to him.

So that can't be the one glaring plot hole, can it?

(just checked, you are the dude what wrote the article and not a random poster being helpful.) Thanks for getting back to me, it's just that it seems like one of those things that fits within the bent time travel logic of the movie.

Like when a tree doctor splits two saplings in half and makes some kind of frakentree with the top living inside the cut-in-half bottom (grafting). As you look upwards the tree starts out with one type of leaves/shape then abruptly changes into another. "The tree without roots should wither and die, the tree with roots should grow past the scar and become a whole tree" is my gut reaction but it doesn't work out that way. They coexist in defiance of all logic.

12 Monkeys is the only perfect time travel movie, anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

12 Monkeys is the only perfect time travel movie, anyway.

The original Terminator is pretty tight. Terminator 2 kind of fucks it up though but it doesn't matter because it might literally be the best action movie ever made. If you make a time travel your probably gonna get some plot holes, but who cares?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

As long as a movie doesn't break its own internal rules I don't mind at all. The Back to the Future trilogy is great! Even the terrible, terrible middle movie is infinitely quotable and endearing. That H.G. Welles remake in the 00's made it clear that, logically, if you go back in time for a reason you should literally be unable to achieve that goal because why then did you even bother inventing a time machine and turning it on in the first place? But that makes for a defeatist tone and nobody goes to the movies to see their souls crushed repeatedly. It's fine to play around with the logic, who cares, I agree.

Seriously though, did anyone see the two minutes I missed and figure out if my plot hole was a plot hole? Why did the main female lead of the movie know what a looper is? (she really loving shouldn't have?)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Seriously though, did anyone see the two minutes I missed and figure out if my plot hole was a plot hole? Why did the main female lead of the movie know what a looper is? (she really loving shouldn't have?)

It's never explained but in the long run it doesn't really matter. I just figured she was involved with some really shady stuff before settling and as hush hush as they make it sounds, Loopers don't seem like the type that as a whole would be good at keeping that poo poo quiet. Hell it doesn't take too much to get the main character to start spilling. It's possible that at some point everyone that knows about it would have been sent back to be killed but it wouldn't apply to her anyways because in the timeline most of the movie is working with she dies anyways.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Here are this week's reviews: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/frankenweenie-taken.php I think we've got a drat good column this week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That review of Pitch Perfect adds up to -39/50, not -49/50. No movie can approach the level of bad as Nukie.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Wow, -39 -49? I think that's the lowest score I've ever seen you guys give a movie.

Speaking of the ratings, I'm curious as to what kind of movie would score a 10 on the "Giving Alicia Silverstone Work" scale.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That review of Pitch Perfect makes is all the more confusing as to why it's getting good reviews. The trailer was hard to sit through but after I saw it was getting good reviews I thought that maybe it was just doing a bad job representing the movie, but nope, it appears to be the exact movie the trailers showed off, if not worse.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Two circles can intersect at a single point as well.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Just chiming in to note that the Iowa Butter Festival or whatever is a real thing.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I really liked the review of Pitch Perfect because, man, gently caress acapella groups. But I do want to note that one line from the review caught my eye. This one:

quote:

Pitch Perfect exists in a world in which a cappella groups are the most elite factions on campus;

is the world we already live in. I'm currently attending UNC, and there are no groups on campus more elitist and self-congratulatory than the various acapella groups on campus.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

gleebster posted:

Two circles can intersect at a single point as well.

Circles always get me into trouble.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Just chiming in to note that the Iowa Butter Festival or whatever is a real thing.

I'm sure it is. It's also irrelevant. I wish I was watching a movie about the REAL Iowa Butter Thing.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Zelder posted:

I really liked the review of Pitch Perfect because, man, gently caress acapella groups. But I do want to note that one line from the review caught my eye. This one:

is the world we already live in. I'm currently attending UNC, and there are no groups on campus more elitist and self-congratulatory than the various acapella groups on campus.
That's really strange.

Not to quibble, but I wrote "elite" and not "elitist" because there's a difference between you thinking you're the poo poo and the whole of the student body thinking you're the poo poo. Pitch Perfect exists in the latter world.

And I'm honestly disturbed that it's getting such a warm response from audiences and critics. My reaction isn't a high-fallutin' "I've forgotten how to have fun" reaction. It's a "Jesus, how are these stereotypes so pervasive in seemingly benign films aimed at high-schoolers?" reaction. Paradoxically, such humor would be more forgivable if the filmmakers took it all the way, but that its biases are kind of subtle and subversive make it all the more nauseating. It's similar to what would happen if Nickelodeon produced a candy-colored remake of Triumph of the Will starring the cast of High School Musical.

Also, Y-Hat, good catch on the -39. I was too mad to do math.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
As someone who works at a video rental store/take-and-bake pizza place, I can confirm that people still come here in groups and wander around for half an hour.

Hell, sometimes they come in groups or singly, order a pizza, then stay here and either lean against the counter watching The Avengers or stare at the pizza guy for half an hour.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
These reviews were great. I like the variety of writers you guys have, it makes it really interesting, and Sean was in rare form especially.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Nucular Carmul posted:

These reviews were great. I like the variety of writers you guys have, it makes it really interesting, and Sean was in rare form especially.
You men are the only thing keepin' me going.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So is there more fat, Asian lesbian hating in Pitch Perfect than the review lets on? Because that already sounds like a lot.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Speedboat Jones posted:

So is there more fat, Asian lesbian hating in Pitch Perfect than the review lets on? Because that already sounds like a lot.
No, I think I got most of it in there. However, virtually every joke involving Fat Amy hits at her obesity ... and her remarkably high self-confidence. It's a conflicted attitude, and why it may seem like savvy inversion of the typical fat joke, it's still a fat joke and being fat is her only trait.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I saw the butter Dave Thomas and Wendy at the Ohio State Fair, and I drove past Big Butter Jesus quite often before it tragically burned down. Yes, butter sculpting is very real.

This puts me in the 0.03% of the population that recognizes butter sculpting as an actual thing, which I believe makes me an aficionado. I think that movie sounds awful.

If even someone of my expertise couldn't give a poo poo about Butter, then who would?

I cannot begin to imagine the audience for this movie.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2012

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I just got approved for a press pass to the Philadelphia Film Festival. AND we have a link on the top banner of the Front Page now. Gettin' closer to being legit.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
I can't wait to see the review for "Beasts of the Southern Wild". I saw that last night, and can't quite make my mind up about it. It's like a bizarre mix of "Where the WIld things are", "Monsters" and "Gummo". I liked it - the 6-year-old lead gave a pretty great perfomance. It looked and sounded great (the soundtrack was very Sufjan Stevens-esque). But it was also kind of slow. Ah well. It should be an interesting one for the Current Releases crew to digest.
Good review of Sinister too. The trailer for that film spoiled that film more than than almost any I'd seen before, which is a shame as it's a pretty decent horror film otherwise.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They reviewed Beasts awhile ago:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/expendables2-paranorman.php?page=5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain

Ah - thanks. I guess that's the problem with indie films - weird-rear end staggered release schedules. It's being "premiered" at the London Film Festival in a few days IIRC.

• Locked thread