Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I don't think some people actually noticed, at least in the original version of 12: stat boosts aside, heavy armor had the highest physical defense and mystic armor the highest magic defense. Thing is, armor was for defense and helms were for magic defense. So I always went with heavy armor and mystic helms for maximum defense and well-rounded stat bonuses. gently caress light armor, I've got Bubble to survive burst anyway.

That and I'm madly overpowered because for some reason I can't not grind for hours in that game. The lack of battle transitions make it fun and fast and the loot chaining system encourages half-hour grinding sessions instead of killing a couple mobs and moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
These days I find myself not grinding at all when going back to play the older Final Fantasy games. It kind of makes me think whether Square designed them to be played this way, or where the developers hoping you'd grind up a bit before progressing to every new boss.

It was funny to see me drop Bottomswell with no issues, while a a kid I wouldn't even get near Junon Harbor unless all my party members had at least 1000 hp. I was a weird kid....

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Little kid me had some kind of problem where I never liked to use consumable items. That lead to a lot of unintentional grinding as I retreated to inns and other free heals as much as possible.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Cardboard Fox posted:

These days I find myself not grinding at all when going back to play the older Final Fantasy games. It kind of makes me think whether Square designed them to be played this way
Except for the first and third games, I've never needed to grind to finish the mandatory content, so I think that's the case.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Little kid me had some kind of problem where I never liked to use consumable items. That lead to a lot of unintentional grinding as I retreated to inns and other free heals as much as possible.
Good old 99 syndrome. I still hate selling things, but XII did a pretty good job of breaking me of these habits.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I had the opposite thing - I used to use items all the time, and kept topping up my massive reserves of potions or mana refils or whatever.

Nowadays, it's just "gently caress it", real men don't need items :black101:
The exception being IIIDS, because, gently caress that noise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

These days I find myself not grinding at all when going back to play the older Final Fantasy games. It kind of makes me think whether Square designed them to be played this way, or where the developers hoping you'd grind up a bit before progressing to every new boss.

It was funny to see me drop Bottomswell with no issues, while a a kid I wouldn't even get near Junon Harbor unless all my party members had at least 1000 hp. I was a weird kid....

Final Fantasy games, at least past the NES era, did not require grinding at all, aside from occasional bits of optional superboss content which were grind-tastic. For some reason people got it into their mind they had to grind and did so despite it being entirely unecessary.

The few roadblocks you encounter are usually the result of poor design or something that you can exploit. (i.e: A powerful enemy who is vulnerable to debuffs.)

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I remember not grinding at all in FF4 when I first played it. You'll die on a boss here and there (I remember having some problems with the Magus Sisters and Rubicant) but you can pretty much make it to the last dungeon without any major trouble. My brother and I fled/Jump'd our way to Zeromus and got massacred so bad we thought it was another scripted fight. Our best weapon was Ogre Axe and our best spell was Titan.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy games, at least past the NES era, did not require grinding at all, aside from occasional bits of optional superboss content which were grind-tastic. For some reason people got it into their mind they had to grind and did so despite it being entirely unecessary.

The few roadblocks you encounter are usually the result of poor design or something that you can exploit. (i.e: A powerful enemy who is vulnerable to debuffs.)

I remember reading one of those Brady guides as a kid and seeing a screenshot of all his party members having 1000 hp, so I thought I had to have that same amount. This transitioned to VIII and IX for me, and it was only when I actually got to around high school that I realized how silly the whole grinding aspect was.

These days I make a point to never grind in any games, even ones that encourage it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

These days I make a point to never grind in any game, even games that encourage it.

This seriously makes the games a lot more fun to me. Hell, one of the reasons I really couldn't enjoy FFXIII-2 is because it allowed for too-easy 'grinding' by accident, which in turn made the game less fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Most FF games don't require any grinding to beat. Hell, the fact that Low-Level Challenges are feasible for most of the games is proof of that. The main thing is that when many of us first played, we didn't know all the various tricks of some of the bosses and sometimes didn't have access to strategy guides or GameFAQs, thus rather than try to figure out the mechanics of each game, it's easier to just grind up your levels and brute-force a solution.

I mean, would you know that Gau can be a wrecking machine, or that FF5's Chemist can utterly ruin bosses? Even simpler stuff like how Slow trivializes a vast majority of FF4's battles is something that's easy to overlook in favor of a few more levels to punch stuff in. I do like that once you figure out the strategy, you can simply breeze through that boss in future runs barring some kind of challenge run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

For some reason people got it into their mind they had to grind and did so despite it being entirely unecessary.

Probably because their first JRPG experience was with Dragon Warrior, which did require you to grind a bit.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was flipping through an FAQ for IX the other day which recommended you have your party at around level 15 before fighting Gizamaluke. I did this at level 8. Getting to 15 would take an insane amount of grinding at that point in the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You never need to grind in FF9 if you keep up with your boss steals and synthesis items, although I have kept Level Up equipped. I haven't grinded at all on Disc 3 and Vivi and Eiko can both do 9999 damage just because of skills they got. If I grind dragons Freya could do it too but her attack is close to 6k anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TL posted:

I was flipping through an FAQ for IX the other day which recommended you have your party at around level 15 before fighting Gizamaluke. I did this at level 8. Getting to 15 would take an insane amount of grinding at that point in the game.

The only reason you'd ever have to grind for Gizamaluke is if you're trying to steal the Ice Staff from him for the increased survivability. He's weaksauce otherwise and you can easily roll him in like three rounds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

The only reason you'd ever have to grind for Gizamaluke is if you're trying to steal the Ice Staff from him for the increased survivability. He's weaksauce otherwise and you can easily roll him in like three rounds.

You don't even need the survivability, since you can just Tent him and steal in near absolute safety.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I love IX and it's my favorite Final Fantasy but I also agree that Eiko + Garnet is very weird. I think it boiled down to a couple of design choices that merged.

1. Many players will want a dedicated healer.
2. If we make only one healer then these players will have to use that character.
3. If we make two healers then we'll see more diverse parties.

I do like though that they further mixed this up by putting powerful healing skills on Quina, Freya, and Aramant but I would say that's for more advanced players. Every time I observe a casual-average skill player play a jRPG they always shove a dedicated healer into their party.

The party I used to beat IX the first time when I was young was Zidane, Vivi, Dagger, and Eiko. I really wanted all the heals.

Also Eiko is 8 and says a lot of creepy things.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

It wouldn't be Final Fantasy if there wasn't a little girl to pander to the creeps.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Bear Sleuth posted:

It wouldn't be Final Fantasy if there wasn't a little girl to pander to the creeps.

Based off this I decided to look up the ages of all the "little girl" characters in FF that I could remember.

Porom is 5 years old. :wtc:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Belzac posted:

Based off this I decided to look up the ages of all the "little girl" characters in FF that I could remember.

Yet she's somehow not as bad as Relm, that Edgar actually hits on.

Vivi's the youngest though, at less than a year old.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bear Sleuth posted:

What? Final Fantasy does a lot of bad things, but this isn't really one of them. In all the mainline games, Porom and Eiko are the only young girls I can think, which is hardly a trend. Especially because neither really panders in any way.

e: Ah, right, Relm too. I do stand by my point though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yet she's somehow not as bad as Relm, that Edgar actually hits on.

Pretty sure he stopped himself before he did. Creepy, but not as creepy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

What? Final Fantasy does a lot of bad things, but this isn't really one of them. In all the mainline games, Porom and Eiko are the only young girls I can think, which is hardly a trend. Especially because neither really panders in any way.

Also a character in a video game is not inherently there as something for people to want to masturbate to. The fact that someone may do this does not mean it is inherently part of the design and that someone at Square-Enix (or wherever) is going "throw in a five year old for sexual appeal!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like 3D and bigger, more complicated scripts made that stuff weirder, because when I was playing 4 and 6 as a kid I always thought Porom and Relm were like 12 or 13, not 5 and 10 respectively. Five years old?

Then again, I was like that with the adult characters too. It's really easy to imagine Cecil, Kain, and Rosa being like 30 or Celes being a lot older than what, 18? JRPGs are just weird with age-related stuff.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Okay, maybe "little" girl was a misnomer, but there's still an abundence of pandering fanservicey characters.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Then again, I was like that with the adult characters too. It's really easy to imagine Cecil, Kain, and Rosa being like 30 or Celes being a lot older than what, 18? JRPGs are just weird with age-related stuff.
I gave up trying to reconcile Final Fantasy characters with their stated ages a long time ago. I like to think Square made Celes young to evoke Joan of Arc, but I'm probably giving them too much credit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Sleuth posted:

Okay, maybe "little" girl was a misnomer, but there's still an abundence of pandering fanservicey characters.
That's arguable but I don't think Eiko is really one of them. Her huge crush on Zidane is played for laughs, not pandering or anything. Like, I'm sure some creep out there thinks it's the best thing ever, but that isn't the writer's fault.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I'm getting around to playing The After Years finally on the complete PSP collection, and it's... not as bad as I expected? I mean, it's not great by any means but at least the new sprites in the PSP package at least all look really well done and unified.

Although Interlude was the most :effort: thing I've seen put out by SE recently.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Endorph posted:

That's arguable but I don't think Eiko is really one of them. Her huge crush on Zidane is played for laughs, not pandering or anything. Like, I'm sure some creep out there thinks it's the best thing ever, but that isn't the writer's fault.

Yeah, it's not taken seriously on any level, thankfully. If there is any one thing that panders the most though in the series, I'd say it'd probably have to be the transformation sequences of X-2.

[e]: Christ, how could I forget those :psyduck:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 1, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, it's not taken seriously on any level, thankfully. If there is any one thing that panders the most though in the series, I'd say it'd probably have to be the transformation sequences of X-2.

Don't forget the hot springs scene of X-2, or the massage minigame of X-2!

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Off the top of my head: Rydia, Porom, Krile, Relm, Yuffie, Eiko, and Rikku. Some of that is subject to what you consider young girls, but I pretty much just went for younger than 18.

Edit: Could have probably thrown in the FFVIII girls, too. But everyone is a teen in that anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Belzac posted:

The sad thing is that she's smarter as a five-year-old than she is as a twenty-two-year-old.

ShadeofDante posted:

So I'm getting around to playing The After Years finally on the complete PSP collection, and it's... not as bad as I expected? I mean, it's not great by any means but at least the new sprites in the PSP package at least all look really well done and unified.

Although Interlude was the most :effort: thing I've seen put out by SE recently.

It takes awhile for the story to really get stupid, but at least the gameplay's a nice enhancement of the original, especially with the tweaks for the PSP version that gets rid of a lot of the bullshit from the other versions.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Taking a Black Belt as one of my Light Warriors might have been a mistake. She can't take a lot of damage and she doesn't do a lot of damage. I'm considering restarting but how good are Thieves and Red Mages?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thieves are easily the worst class in the first half of the game aside from their near-guaranteed Run success, and Red Mages are probably the best (since they can use heavy armor, fight better than other mages, and cast both Cure spells and offensive ones).

This flips in the second half of the game, where the Thief (as a Ninja) gets full Fighter gear access and the ability to haste himself and the Red Mage (as a Red Wizard) slowly descends into being a bad warrior and bad mage.

Stick with your Black Belt if you want. Also note that once you get up to a certain level (and I'm talking early here, like 6 I think) he's better off fighting barehanded for the remainder of the game. Nunchucks will literally reduce his damage if equipped, while a barehanded Black Belt's power will only continue to grow with levels until eventually they become the best attacker.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Eggie posted:

Taking a Black Belt as one of my Light Warriors might have been a mistake. She can't take a lot of damage and she doesn't do a lot of damage. I'm considering restarting but how good are Thieves and Red Mages?

Thieves are awful, and if you're playing the NES version their one advantage is bugged and doesn't work (Thieves are no more likely to succeed at running than anybody else). Ninjas are better, but you'd still be better off with a Black Mage.

Red Mages start off useful because they're good at everything, but later in the game they're not good enough. They have an excellent selection of support spells, though. More of these support spells work properly if you're not playing the NES version.

Black Belts, by way of contrast, starts off weak because of their vulnerability, because they don't have much armor selection apart from accessories, but their damage output increases exponentially and they're the most powerful offensive class by the late game. Leave them barehanded.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
^^ Black Belt is probably the worst character in the game for the first five or six levels but then he begins his ascent into an invincible and free killing machine.

==================

I was bored and produced this:

Average ages of human main cast members ("physical" ages from the wikia site):

code:
Game  n    Mean   SD     Median   Youngest            Oldest

FF9    7   18.1    9.4   16.0     Eiko (6)            Steiner (33)
FF8    9   19.8    4.1   17.0     Squall et al. (17)  Laguna (27)
FF10   7   22.1    6.8   22.0     Rikku (15)          Auron (35)
FF12   5   22.2    8.0   19.0     Vaan, Penelo (17)   Basch (36)
FF13   6   22.7    8.9   21.0     Hope (14)           Sazh (40)
FF7    7   24.7    6.9   22.0     Yuffie (16)         Barret (35)
FF4   11   25.1   18.4   21.0     Palom, Porom (5)    Tellah (60)
FF5    5   26.6   18.8   20.0     Krile (14)          Galuf (60)
FF6   10   28.5   18.3   26.0     Relm (10)           Strago (70)

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 1, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder what the difference would be if you removed people who died.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder what the difference would be if you removed people who died.

Help me out here:

- Tellah
- Galuf
- Aeris
- Any more?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

What does Vincent's age count as?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ross posted:

Help me out here:

- Tellah
- Galuf
- Aeris
- Any more?

None who die during the game, I think. I just noticed that Tellah and Galuf probably bring things up a whole lot. (Strago too but he survives.)

Pasteurized Milk posted:

What does Vincent's age count as?

I've got to wonder about Auron too. Is 35 his pre-death age or is he like 35 including the years he spent as a zombie-thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eggie posted:

Black Belts are the undisputed kings of (single target) damage in FF1. By level 7-8 they'll be hitting as well or better than a pre-silver sword Fighter and by the teens they'll be out in the lead and leaving others behind. Their bare-handed damage is level*2 and they will get way more hits than anyone else as well.

At high levels you one shot everything.