Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Burning Mustache posted:

From a recent Bioware blog post:

I think that's the most recent info on it.

glad it's plural, then. Still hoping for another squadmate as good as Javik, that Life Support room is still conspicuously empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

glad it's plural, then. Still hoping for another squadmate as good as Javik, that Life Support room is still conspicuously empty.

It's probably for Aria. :shepface:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Beefstew posted:

Maybe Shepard will finally be able to get that threesome with Liara, then.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Beefstew posted:

Aria already has a room on the ship. It's called the airlock. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Is it just me, or did Sentinels get the serious shaft this time around?

My Sentinel is still pretty cool. You can spec her to absorb more damage and play like a Soldier, or you can just focus on powers. The latter is better if you want to set up detonations, especially biotic ones.

One thing I learn is that grenades are awesome. They don't have cooldown and they are fairly common. Singularity + Lift Grenade is great for crowd control. It's one reason I love the Sentinel. Javik has that power too, but that just means you get more of them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cheap Vodka posted:

Aria already has a room on the ship. It's called the airlock. :colbert:

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that counts as loving with Aria.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that counts as loving with Aria.
:shepface: No, but this does:

Sombrerotron posted:

Maybe Shepard will finally be able to get that threesome with Liara, then.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I wonder if they will actually make Aria a temporary squad member, or at least show her fighting. She fights in her comic and book appearances but in the games she's done little more than sit on a couch and be smug.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I doubt they'll add a permanent squadmate at this point--there wouldn't be as much banter with that character on missions or on the Normandy, unless they've already recorded dialogue with the other actors or plan to get them back yet again.

Speaking of banter: I replayed Leviathan tonight (missed the cabin item the first time), and suddenly Ken and Gabby aren't talking again. How hard is this bug to scrub out?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's too bad Tuchanka doesn't stick around, it would be cool to have Aria talk to Wrex.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Speaking of banter: I replayed Leviathan tonight (missed the cabin item the first time), and suddenly Ken and Gabby aren't talking again. How hard is this bug to scrub out?

They must have a ton of triggers attached to them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't have Gabby. Where did she go? :saddowns: I really need to get some saves downloaded; I just jumped into New Game because nobody keeps a computer long enough to have saves from ME1.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man. No wonder you have so many complaints about ME3's connection to the rest of the series, if you aren't playing on an imported save....

On the Citadel, there's a terminal where as Spectre, you can grant a pardon to the Cerberus Normandy crew, and get them a place on your ship. I believe that in the default, non-loaded version, they, and the rest of the crew, did not survive the ending of ME2. (You bastard)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HOLY poo poo. Ashley is ON THE FLOOR DRUNK 30 minutes before duty and my options are: 1)Aww, look at you and 2)Clean yourself up... What. The. gently caress?! Where's my option to chew her out like a drill sergeant recycling a cadet? Or my option to drag her to Dr. Chakwas for counseling? Those are like, what I would expect at minimum for Renegade and Paragon. Not, "Oh tee hee, you're a Spectre operative who can't even keep her poo poo together well enough to not show up drunk for her watch. That's so cute."

Seriously what the gently caress Ashley. What the gently caress Shepard. I think saving the loving galaxy requires a tad bit more discipline than a crawling-on-the-floor drunk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arglebargle III posted:

HOLY poo poo. Ashley is ON THE FLOOR DRUNK 30 minutes before duty and my options are: 1)Aww, look at you and 2)Clean yourself up... What. The. gently caress?! Where's my option to chew her out like a drill sergeant recycling a cadet? Or my option to drag her to Dr. Chakwas for counseling? Those are like, what I would expect at minimum for Renegade and Paragon. Not, "Oh tee hee, you're a Spectre operative who can't even keep her poo poo together well enough to not show up drunk for her watch. That's so cute."

Seriously what the gently caress Ashley. What the gently caress Shepard. I think saving the loving galaxy requires a tad bit more discipline than a crawling-on-the-floor drunk.

At what point in this series did you come to expect military discipline from these people who depend on you to solve their personal demons on a weekly basis?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The worst thing is, a few other crew members have lines about it. They seem to think it's funny.

:negative:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

The worst thing is, a few other crew members have lines about it. They seem to think it's funny.

No, the real worst thing is that getting falling-down drunk once is the only thing that Ashely does after re-joining.

She was supposed to have some other unique scenes, including one where she decides to finally ask Shepard about the whole "being dead" thing. Unfortunately that was cut, so she will spend her remaining time on the Normandy leaning in one spot, staring at a wall in an empty room forever.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 1, 2012

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Geostomp posted:

No, the real worst thing is that getting falling-down drunk once is the only thing that Ashely does after re-joining.

She was supposed to have some other unique scenes, including one where she decides to finally ask Shepard about the whole "being dead" thing. Unfortunately that was cut, so she will spend her remaining time on the Normandy leaning in one spot, staring at a wall in an empty room forever.

"We decided not to feature the Virmire survivor in ME2 because it was really important that they be around in the third game. What, you think that bulkhead was going to hold itself up?"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

In all fairness, nobody ever complains when Shepard drinks him-/herself into a coma in ME2, either. At worst you get primly chided by EDI for using the bathroom intended for the opposite sex.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Geostomp posted:

Is Kaiden any better? I always nuked him but Ashley is such a waste of space in 3, I'm wondering if maybe I should have kept Kaiden.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Epi Lepi posted:

Is Kaiden any better? I always nuked him but Ashley is such a waste of space in 3, I'm wondering if maybe I should have kept Kaiden.

Kaiden actually leaves the observation deck once or twice, including playing poker with James and Garrus. Also he has an okay comedy moment if you take him to the Ardat Yakshi Monastery.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp I finished Rannoch and got Bad End because of something I didn't do in ME2. That is actually pretty satisfactory? Also gently caress da creators, geth 4 lyfe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked Kaidan in ME3, including his little friendly not-date with my fem-shep. He's a pretty cool bro.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

New patch coming this week. Looks like they've already noticed the dialogue problem.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Geostomp posted:

Pretty much everything they did to Ash was terrible from the changes to her character to her suddenly vapid personality. The only memorable part of the game for her was getting poo poo faced on the floor of her cabin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geostomp posted:

she will spend her remaining time on the Normandy leaning in one spot, staring at a wall in an empty room forever.

Probably has PTSD from seeing the ME3 script for the first time.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

In all fairness, nobody ever complains when Shepard drinks him-/herself into a coma in ME2, either. At worst you get primly chided by EDI for using the bathroom intended for the opposite sex.

I like to think that she got fed up and just locked you out of that bathroom shortly after Joker unshackled her.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Kaiden actually seems to grow a personality in between games. He's still kinda bland, but at least he goes around the ship to do stuff. Besides that, he's the only Sentinel squadmate in the game for some reason while Ashely is more or less redundant with Vega as a meatsheild and Garrus as a sniper.

Of course, he does start hitting on Shepard shortly after rejoining and has one really awkward scene where he tries and fails to be an grim badass, but he's chill outside of that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

We're a warship with a cocktail bar. No one gets a poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fangz posted:

We're a warship with a cocktail bar. No one gets a poo poo.

There was a real wasted opportunity to show the crow getting together for stuff in there, a la Ten Forward. Then again, I suppose people would have found it at odds with the holy poo poo gotta save Earth focus. To me it's more evidence they should have saved the actual Reaper invasion to the last third of the game or something like that.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Of course, he does start hitting on Shepard shortly after rejoining

Before, actually. There's a perfectly innocuous dialogue option at Huerta which leads to "Are you flirting with me, Commander?" Which my BroShep loved, but no doubt was less well received by others.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the end of the fuckin' galaxy, man. If you can't get wasted then, when can you?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Welp I finished Rannoch and got Bad End because of something I didn't do in ME2. That is actually pretty satisfactory? Also gently caress da creators, geth 4 lyfe.

My first playthrough, I got all the Quarians killed by accident. Trusted Legion to do the right thing, didn't realize that Tali being dead would screw me. But then I was just as okay with the Geth surviving as you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is Kai Leng designed to infuriate the player? More to the point, is he designed to make the player hate the writing staff? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he was the product of an ME3 fanfiction contest.

"Ok guys, here's my idea. He's Asian, he has a ponytail, he fights with a sword, how cool is that right guys? Oh and he's totally better than Shepard, and whenever anyone shoots at him he holds out his hand like 'No' like Neo in the Matrix. He's so cool oh my God, no one has ever had a better idea for a character. And get this, whenever Shepard fights, Kai Leng totally beats him. It's like not even close guys. And then he walks away all cool like 'Cerberus thanks you for your cooperation' like totally burning him. And we have to take away player control during this sequence because he can't lose. Players love that anyway."

It's not a good sign when I'm angry at the writers instead of angry at the villain. The villain beat Shepard, okay, but its the writers' fault for thinking I might respect this villain.. (He has a sword for gently caress's sake. He didn't hit me once the whole fight while I poured hypersonic future bullets into him. He won entirely by writer fiat.)

What's the deal with Liara in the Thessia mission anyway? Her inability to deal with her emotions was out of character. This is the woman who rationally talked down her hallucinations on Therum. No one could have foreseen this? She was the literally, literally the first person to foresee this. Did she forget that she's a total badass? I feel like this isn't the first female character I've asked that about. Also, I feel like it's not a great sign that I've started to think of the token gay character as "cryface" because I can't remember his name and he cries all the time. Way to break with stereotypes bioware.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is Kai Leng designed to infuriate the player?

Yes.

Arglebargle III posted:

More to the point, is he designed to make the player hate the writing staff?

Probably not intentionally, but yes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I actually liked EDI's suggestion of a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise and was disappointed when Shepard said no.

Aux armes citoyens! :france:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 2, 2012

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Sooner or later you're gonna get a renegade cutscene option when it comes to Kai Leng, take it. It's almost the best moment in the whole game.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It's almost the best moment in the whole game.

At the very least there certainly are no more good moments in the game after that :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, I feel like it's not a great sign that I've started to think of the token gay character as "cryface" because I can't remember his name and he cries all the time. Way to break with stereotypes bioware.
I'm reasonably sure he only cries once, maybe twice - at least if you don't romance him, but I don't know how that plays out. The rest of the time, though, Token Gay Character is a pretty manly dude and the best human bro on Shepard's crew.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Sooner or later you're gonna get a renegade cutscene option when it comes to Kai Leng, take it. It's almost the best moment in the whole game.
That interrupt is incredibly cathartic, and almost makes you thankful for Leng being so utterly insufferable.

Burning Mustache posted:

At the very least there certainly are no more good moments in the game after that :v:
I thought the confrontation with TIM and its immediate aftermath were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked that your grand galaxy-saving plan devolved into a suicidal charge into a beam of light, and loving up the pacing of that part was probably the most significant negative change in the EC, along with the removal of the awesome dissonant music in the "outrunning the relay explosion" bit.

• Locked thread