Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
:neckbeard: The second charger arrived, and it didn't break. While my PRS-505 was charging up, I blazed through Turn Coat, taking notes on my laptop.

It's Luccio, isn't it? She's gotten far too chummy with Harry far too fast. Besides, doesn't he still love Susan? The corpsewalker must have scrambled her brain somehow. Or maybe Luccio is the corpsewalker...

Molly, you loving bitch. Poor Mousey. :( She's gonna end up dead, if she doesn't take Harry along with her.

Harry's going to sacrifice himself, isn't he?

Okay, it's Luccio being controlled by the little beady guy nobody pays attention to but who has access to everyone and lots of information. Duh.

Ink made of mordite, you say? *strokes invisible beard and puts on a very evil DM smile*

Aw, Morgan. :(

Hm. Thomas is faking it to protect Harry from something. We'll see what it is.

I didn't love the book, although I'm happy we finally got a conclusion as to whether or not there really is a Black Council. The way Peabody had literally everyone under his control via the ink is absolutely ingenious, and I love that kind of intrigue. It just takes crazy preparation far in advance, and I'm lovin' it.

I need sleep. These freaking books, crack candy, I tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I had similar reactions to each book after Blood Rites or thereabouts.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So I got my hands on the Ghost Story paperback and the Cold Days preview. Mab is powerleveling Harry? It sure looks like she's making up for level loss or something. Also nice Peter Pan reference.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

daggerdragon posted:

:neckbeard: The second charger arrived, and it didn't break. While my PRS-505 was charging up, I blazed through Turn Coat, taking notes on my laptop.

It's Luccio, isn't it? She's gotten far too chummy with Harry far too fast. Besides, doesn't he still love Susan? The corpsewalker must have scrambled her brain somehow. Or maybe Luccio is the corpsewalker...

Molly, you loving bitch. Poor Mousey. :( She's gonna end up dead, if she doesn't take Harry along with her.

Harry's going to sacrifice himself, isn't he?

Okay, it's Luccio being controlled by the little beady guy nobody pays attention to but who has access to everyone and lots of information. Duh.

Ink made of mordite, you say? *strokes invisible beard and puts on a very evil DM smile*

Aw, Morgan. :(

Hm. Thomas is faking it to protect Harry from something. We'll see what it is.

I didn't love the book, although I'm happy we finally got a conclusion as to whether or not there really is a Black Council. The way Peabody had literally everyone under his control via the ink is absolutely ingenious, and I love that kind of intrigue. It just takes crazy preparation far in advance, and I'm lovin' it.

I need sleep. These freaking books, crack candy, I tell ya.

Yes take a break. Cause when you read the very first line of Changes, you will not stop till your done.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes take a break. Cause when you read the very first line of Changes, you will not stop till your done.

I don't know if it counts as spoilers or not, but drat each chapter is basically another punch in the gut, so maybe a little emotional cool-down would help.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Seriously, there cannot be a more apt title for that book than Changes. The world will be turned upside-down, a few times, before you're through with it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pseudonym posted:

Seriously, there cannot be a more apt title for that book than Changes. The world will be turned upside-down, a few times, before you're through with it.

Not to mention that a title which isn't two words of the same length is a change in itself.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I think Murphy getting cranked up to eleven at Chichen Itza is my favorite scene of the series.

Edit:
"Pretenders! Usurpers of truth! Destroyers of faith, of families, of lives, of children! For your crimes against the Mayans, against the peoples of the world, now will you answer! Your time has come! Face judgment Almighty!"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think Murphy getting cranked up to eleven at Chichen Itza is my favorite scene of the series.

Edit:
"Pretenders! Usurpers of truth! Destroyers of faith, of families, of lives, of children! For your crimes against the Mayans, against the peoples of the world, now will you answer! Your time has come! Face judgment Almighty!"

We're still not 100% sure Murphy was the one saying that :ssh:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Not to mention that a title which isn't two words of the same length is a change in itself.

Holy poo poo, I never noticed this. :psyboom:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

We're still not 100% sure Murphy was the one saying that :ssh:

Sometimes I don't think I'm reading the same books as some of you guys. It was painfully clear that Murphy was being possessed by something when she said that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ornamented Death posted:

Sometimes I don't think I'm reading the same books as some of you guys. It was painfully clear that Murphy was being possessed by something when she said that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she says something about it after the battle when she's thinking of taking up the sword.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

That's just a goon thing. The same thing happens a lot in TVIV.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she says something about it after the battle when she's thinking of taking up the sword.

I'm pretty sure it's commented on immediately after she said it, and then once or twice more as the scene progressed.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It was a joke, jeez.
(No idea about Mr. Bad Guy though.)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

It was a joke, jeez.
(No idea about Mr. Bad Guy though.)

We take our pulpy urban-fantasy very seriously around these parts.

Also a joke

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Edit:

For me it was the Leanansidhe clapping and giggling like a schoolgirl when The Gray Council showed up and poo poo really started going nuts, and then Ebenezer breaks out the mother loving Black Staff and start smiting poo poo left and right. :black101:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wade Wilson posted:

For me it was the Leanansidhe clapping and giggling like a schoolgirl when The Gray Council showed up and poo poo really started going nuts, and then Ebenezer breaks out the mother loving Black Staff and start smiting poo poo left and right. :black101:

Lea is wonderfully creepy. I really like her as a foil--she's powerful, snarky, and capricious...and frequently hilarious.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ConfusedUs posted:

Lea is wonderfully creepy. I really like her as a foil--she's powerful, snarky, and capricious...and frequently hilarious.

Yes, I really disliked her the first couple times we see her, but she's grown a lot on me. (Also as of changes, she seems the most reasonable fae in the world.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wade Wilson posted:

Best part of that entire sequence is Mouse.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best part of that entire sequence is Mouse.

You bitch!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Harry really needs to take lessons from Listens-To-Wind on how to speak dog.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

ConfusedUs posted:

You'd almost feel sorry for the criminals that run afoul the wrong raglady if they weren't horrible monsters.

I lost track over the weekend, has our new reader made it through Changes yet?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hah hah, I just now got to the Vampire Masquerade in my book 3 re-read and Lea kind of joking says that she would never make a "deal" with Michael because of his holy power. Then she says, "But your kids on the other hand...perhaps your eldest child?"

:rolleyes:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

You'd almost feel sorry for the criminals that run afoul the wrong raglady if they weren't horrible monsters.

I lost track over the weekend, has our new reader made it through Changes yet?

Working on it. Not terribly loving it so far, but then again, Harry's a ghost, what more can he do? I'm just wondering how he's going to pull off the whole "return to life" thing.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Changes, not Ghost Story. I'm curious what you thought of Changes as well, that book was loving great.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Yay Pudding! posted:

Changes, not Ghost Story. I'm curious what you thought of Changes as well, that book was loving great.

:hurr: Sorry, yes, I'm on Ghost Story. I'll post my log for Changes:

Odin? Harry's talking to Odin? He's totally going to get his butt killed.

I'm starting to think there's no little girl, or at least, the little girl they do have isn't Harry's daughter. That's just too easy.

Harry's going to take Mab up on her offer, isn't he?

Yeah, I knew Thomas was faking it.

Aw, poor Harry is getting all his toys taken away from him, one by one. The staff, his Beetle, his house. Next up, his life!

All right, Uriel (probably) isn't lying. Maggie is Harry's daughter. Hmph.

Yaaay! Murphy and Fidelacchius! :neckbeard: Harry is soooo dead.

Okay, so Molly's useful, finally. Thomas :allears:

The Grey Council came. :allears: This is epic. Harry is sooooo dead.

So, uh, all this fighting, yeah? Where's Susan and Amoracchius? Aha, there she is.

The Red King hasn't read the Overlord Rules, has he? He's standing around revealing his plan (and his traitor). And of course, the Wizened Old Mentor is actually the Grandfather. Trope much?

... hey. Wait a minute. I wasn't being serious about Harry being dead.

That's not fair.

MUST GET NEXT BOOK. MUST MURDER BUTCHER FOR SUCH A CLIFFHANGER.

Overall, I thought Changes was a good conclusion to the build-up of the previous 12 books. It wasn't very Harry-centric, but it features all the friendships he's made over the previous books.

I just... wish he'd not be so stupid by turning to Mab for help. That's just going to come back and bite him in the rear end, hard, and from several directions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

quote:

MUST GET NEXT BOOK. MUST MURDER BUTCHER FOR SUCH A CLIFFHANGER.

Now imagine you have to wait a year between Changes and Ghost Story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh that's nothing, try waiting to read it until the paperback comes out.

I finally cracked after Ghost Story came out but it was terrible before that.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Harry Potter was bad enough. I don't need to be doing this to myself again. :(

But I'm going to!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

It was more than a year :smith:.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Fortunately the whole Side Jobs thing came out midway through, plus we all knew what Ghost Story was going to be about from the title.

But yeah, waiting is the curse of the modern fantasy fan. At least I'm not a huge GRRM devotee; Dresden and WoT together are enough waiting pain.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

daggerdragon posted:

I just... wish he'd not be so stupid by turning to Mab for help. That's just going to come back and bite him in the rear end, hard, and from several directions.

You have discovered the plot to Cold Days.

Have their been any hints about what exactly is Mab's deal? Like why do people think she is going crazy, why the heck was her citadel empty even after a demon attack, why was there a demon attack in the heart of the winter court in the first place, etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

You have discovered the plot to Cold Days.

Have their been any hints about what exactly is Mab's deal? Like why do people think she is going crazy, why the heck was her citadel empty even after a demon attack, why was there a demon attack in the heart of the winter court in the first place, etc.

Popular opinion is that it has something to do with the athame she took from Lea, who got it from Bianca in the masquerade in Grave Peril. It drove Lea to challenge Mab, who made her a sidhe-sicle and then took the athame as her own.

As an artifact of power, it is considered at least on par with Michael's sword.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ConfusedUs posted:

Popular opinion is that it has something to do with the athame she took from Lea, who got it from Bianca in the masquerade in Grave Peril. It drove Lea to challenge Mab, who made her a sidhe-sicle and then took the athame as her own.

As an artifact of power, it is considered at least on par with Michael's sword.

So.... who was playing the Red Court, then? Cuz that whole Book 3 party sounds like a setup. "Let's get the Red Court to give a bunch of incredibly treacherous gifts to incredibly powerful and dangerously vindictive individuals!"

And then Harry Dresden shows up and their plan goes horribly, horribly right.

Because pissing off Harry Dresden is a pretty bad idea.

ConfusedUs posted:

The black council.

Cowl and Kumori were there. They didn't have a speaking part, by they were there on the dais.

Ok. Do we have any idea why?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 2, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

So.... who was playing the Red Court, then? Cuz that whole Book 3 party sounds like a setup. "Let's get the Red Court to give a bunch of incredibly treacherous gifts to incredibly powerful and dangerously vindictive individuals!"

And then Harry Dresden shows up and their plan goes horribly, horribly right.

Because pissing off Harry Dresden is a pretty bad idea.

The black council.

Cowl and Kumori were there. They didn't have a speaking part, by they were there on the dais.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

daggerdragon posted:

To be fair though, given Harry's childhood, there was absolutely no way he would fail to Show Up for Maggie, and Mab was the least evil of his options.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Suprfli6 posted:

To be fair though, given Harry's childhood, there was absolutely no way he would fail to Show Up for Maggie, and Mab was the least evil of his options.

Also one of the easier to find. I can't imagine Father Forthill being very pleased if Dresden asked to borrow a coin.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Also one of the easier to find. I can't imagine Father Forthill being very pleased if Dresden asked to borrow a coin.
Harry can choose to summon Lasciel's coin to him at any time, I believe. It's something Lash taught him, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

navyjack posted:

Harry can choose to summon Lasciel's coin to him at any time, I believe. It's something Lash taught him, I think.

I don't think that's true anymore, after he "officially" gave up the coin.

• Locked thread