Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just picked this up, figure I might as well throw my name into the spreadsheet. I'm pretty loving terrible at fighting games, but what the hell--might be fun.

e: the way this storyline jumps around in both time and space is ridiculous. :psyduck:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
New Glitch. I don't know what the condition for getting this glitch is, but I want to do this online all the time.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

First entry is me.
Good games today. You are very good at picking up those who lie down.

Yeah, Bass has a major issue against fast characters with mix-ups like Hitomi and Jann Lee. My fastest attack is 12 frames.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I guess it's not too suprising to see no one on the list is around the Australia region.
Couldn't fund anyone on matchmaking with 'near' either, but the games I did find which probably American or something, didn't play too badly. Countering seems a bit unresponsive but they may possibly just be because I suck at it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
A friend of mine wants to play DoA5 so I'm getting roped into playing with her. I kinda liked playing Deadpool in Marvel Vs Capcom but that's about as far as I know fighting games. As I know none of the terminology, anyone else play like that, maybe, sort of? :v:

Also, what was with the Halo marine?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

A friend of mine wants to play DoA5 so I'm getting roped into playing with her. I kinda liked playing Deadpool in Marvel Vs Capcom but that's about as far as I know fighting games. As I know none of the terminology, anyone else play like that, maybe, sort of? :v:

Zack. All you need to know is that in addition to his already existing flying crazy clown attacks, he now has a Blanka roll.

And yeah, DOA4 had a Spartan in it, she shared most of her moveset with another character though, so she wasn't really worth putting in. It was fun to hear someone dressed like that start the round by saying "you're about to get beat by a girl" though, however meaningless that is in a game that is pretty much entirely about girls beating each other.

edit: it sure is weird having the VF characters in there, complete with the VF sound effects, like the whoosh sound of doing roundhouse kicks. Also when they knock their opponent down, THEIR body makes the VF knockdown sound.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 30, 2012

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mila is sending people into an incoherent rage, with her ability to feint kicks into takedowns.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can even guard cancel her takedowns too. She's really good. Good crushes, Fast jab. Decent Mix-ups.

Music is this game is probably it's weakest points. I just hope they release the old DOA soundtrack packs or something. DOA 3 had some pretty cool themes.

Anatharon posted:

I think a few people would be using the correct terminology including me and Evil Canadian. Here's a decent starter:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/dead-or-alive-terminology/

There's this too, if you got the time to go through all of it:

http://youtu.be/5AF0pxoR-pg

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 30, 2012

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

uncleKitchener posted:

Music is this game is probably it's weakest points. I just hope they release the old DOA soundtrack packs or something. DOA 3 had some pretty cool themes.
Does DoA5 have any Aerosmith music? This is important.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Supposed DLC costumes coming soon (October 2nd?):

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Were the swimsuits a preorder bonus or somewhere? I got it digitally and don't think I got any swimsuits.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Samurai Sanders posted:

Were the swimsuits a preorder bonus or somewhere? I got it digitally and don't think I got any swimsuits.

Yeah, GameStop had some for Kasumi, Lei Fang and Hitomi. Amazon had them for Christie, Tina and Ayane. Come to think of it, I haven't even used that code yet.

thatdog posted:

Does DoA5 have any Aerosmith music? This is important.

Nope. My biggest disappointment with the game.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Never thought that music was one of DoA strong points, but the stuff we get this time just doesn't really fit.
I swear one of the tracks sounds exactly like something Hans Zimmer would compose.
That and no Aerosmith.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I have to learn which attacks are high or mid all over again. I mean, I'm sure they're mostly the same as they were in 4, but many of them are so visually ambiguous that I forgot.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man I really do dig Mila and all, but it seems so awkward to find any decent combos for her. I don't know why but it seems so wierd for her, I have better combo setups for Bass than I do for her.

Her launchers are all such poo poo, and you can't nail anything big without a critical burst, but I feel like her throw damage game isn't big enough to make up for it because despite the tackle being a catch throw, tackle is so slow unless you bamboozle someone with it with the feints.

I do like that she is one of the few characters that can play a non-risky long range footsies game though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Mila's P6PP is her juggle extender. I think I managed to do P6PP into 3PP.

Also, the good thing about the catch version of the grab is that even if the opponent breaks it, you're at frame advantage. 214 and the ground versions of the grab put you at disadvantage when broken.

Also, her SS catch is pretty awesome. People should that all the time.

For launchers, 33P and 6H+K in stun are good mix-ups, same with 9K, though the hit-box on that is weird and it's probably a high.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, the good thing about the catch version of the grab is that even if the opponent breaks it, you're at frame advantage. 214 and the ground versions of the grab put you at disadvantage when broken.

For launchers, 33P and 6H+K in stun are good mix-ups, same with 9K, though the hit-box on that is weird and it's probably a high.

I wish I understood that because then I would probably not suck at fighting games

I tried to play online this morning but couldnt find anyone I'm in the UK and guessing its because not many people are playing ranking online

I've seen people bitching about the netcode in fighting game forums is it really that bad?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

VoLaTiLe posted:

I wish I understood that because then I would probably not suck at fighting games

I tried to play online this morning but couldnt find anyone I'm in the UK and guessing its because not many people are playing ranking online

I've seen people bitching about the netcode in fighting game forums is it really that bad?

Here's the notation:

code:
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3 

u/b u u/f
b N f
d/b d d/f
My matches were pretty mixed. Some were okay, while others painfully dragged on.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

uncleKitchener posted:

My main issue is she can't get the height off a launcher anywhere half decent unless she gets the critical burst, any launcher without it grants poor results at best. That combined with so far I feel she plays the stun game fairly poorly because most of her strings that stun end in the same med striking punch it is a bit of an issue.

Obviously only a few days in I can't get all the aspects of the character down, but I do find that a bit disappointing initially.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Oh hey, so that costume dlc coming out is totally free of charge, cool beans.

Contains costumes for Kokoro, Zack, Helena, Bayman, Gen Fu, Christie, Tina, Mila, Akira, Sarah and Pai.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh hey, so that costume dlc coming out is totally free of charge, cool beans.

Contains costumes for Kokoro, Zack, Helena, Bayman, Gen Fu, Christie, Tina, Mila, Akira, Sarah and Pai.

Zach costume? I am SO pulling for "pervert teletubby", or at least "raver/green velvet"

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

LvK posted:

Zach costume? I am SO pulling for "pervert teletubby", or at least "raver/green velvet"

Good news!

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Can you guys give me any tips on how to defend properly? I'm a newcomer to DOA, but I've played some Street Fighter, KOF, MK, and Persona 4 Arena. I've gone through the whole Story Mode and I still have no clue what I'm doing on defense. I get better results by just constantly and heedlessly attacking. I'm sure this isn't the way the game is supposed to play, though.

Edit: Let me spell out the problems I'm having. Essentially, I can't figure out either the block or the hold systems. Sometimes I'm holding 1H, and attacks are getting through. Is this because high or mid attacks can't be blocked low, so I either need to hold neutral H (or high?) to block those and then go to low H to block the low attacks?

On the hold system, I understand it better in theory, but I have extreme difficulty pulling even simple holds off. Going through the story and arcade modes, there are times when I could swear that I hit the right button combination at the right time but the attack got through anyway. Is this a case where the attack looked like a mid attack but was high or something? And are both of my issues just a case where the answer is "play a lot of DOA and just learn every character's attacks so you know how to identify and characterize them"?

Thanks!

Kickass Harpsichord fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, a lot of attacks are very ambiguous visually. It's just a matter of experience which are which, and like I said earlier, I think I forgot most of the attack heights and am almost back at square one trying to remember which are which.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

gently caress yes futuresex Dipsy never dies!

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Can you guys give me any tips on how to defend properly? I'm a newcomer to DOA, but I've played some Street Fighter, KOF, MK, and Persona 4 Arena. I've gone through the whole Story Mode and I still have no clue what I'm doing on defense. I get better results by just constantly and heedlessly attacking. I'm sure this isn't the way the game is supposed to play, though.

Edit: Let me spell out the problems I'm having. Essentially, I can't figure out either the block or the hold systems. Sometimes I'm holding 1H, and attacks are getting through. Is this because high or mid attacks can't be blocked low, so I either need to hold neutral H (or high?) to block those and then go to low H to block the low attacks?

On the hold system, I understand it better in theory, but I have extreme difficulty pulling even simple holds off. Going through the story and arcade modes, there are times when I could swear that I hit the right button combination at the right time but the attack got through anyway. Is this a case where the attack looked like a mid attack but was high or something? And are both of my issues just a case where the answer is "play a lot of DOA and just learn every character's attacks so you know how to identify and characterize them"?

Thanks!

On blocking, in 3D fighters it works like this: you stand block to guard mids, and crouch block to guard lows. Highs will be blocked if you're standing, and if you're crouching they will whiff over your head.

In 2D games you want to crouch block 99% of the time, and only stand to block a jump attack/overhead. However in 3D games, you typically want to stand block, and only duck when you predict/see a low.

As for holds, you're correct that visually a lot of highs/mids look similar. Unfortunately it's something you just need experience with, as there aren't a lot of conventions. Playing the game more you will familiarize yourself with the more common attacks of different characters. It's also slightly easier when playing against humans, as most people will fall into some kind of pattern that you can pick up on, whereas the computer is just going to do completely random poo poo (and maybe just read your inputs sometimes).

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

nogic posted:

On blocking, in 3D fighters it works like this: you stand block to guard mids, and crouch block to guard lows. Highs will be blocked if you're standing, and if you're crouching they will whiff over your head.

In 2D games you want to crouch block 99% of the time, and only stand to block a jump attack/overhead. However in 3D games, you typically want to stand block, and only duck when you predict/see a low.

As for holds, you're correct that visually a lot of highs/mids look similar. Unfortunately it's something you just need experience with, as there aren't a lot of conventions. Playing the game more you will familiarize yourself with the more common attacks of different characters. It's also slightly easier when playing against humans, as most people will fall into some kind of pattern that you can pick up on, whereas the computer is just going to do completely random poo poo (and maybe just read your inputs sometimes).

Thanks a lot, this is really useful. :)

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
Yaay. New Title: Victory!
At the end of online match 19. Funnily enough I did better against the D- than I did against the F's. Perhaps it was because he was trying to use actual moves.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Some updates on new tech discovered in the game:

http://youtu.be/CFFQqkfbE20

This is a new form of back dash which cancels itself into different states. Only a select few characters can do this, like Mila, Rig and the VF characters. Some other characters can do this too, but the grapplers, especially Bass, don't benefit from this method.

http://youtu.be/4aDbeeYSJTY

Regarding the Mila infinite, it turns out that it's also possible in open ground if the first hit is not teched. It also turns out that the majority of characters are also capable of doing this, so it's the fault of the ground game.

http://youtu.be/z0SWFY2L1HA

Free DLC is out in most regions. It wasn't on the EU PSN ast I checked, but it should be there soon.

Yes, Bayman does get his Beret back.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 3, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My online experience so far: Juggles are way more prevalent than they used to be. It's almost like I'm playing Tekken. The DOA I'm used to playing was more about being unpredictable instead of just extending a combo, and my play style seems to be hurting just because everyone else gets so much more damage off a hit confirm. Rig in particular has shown me some 11 hit combos due to juggling.

So because of that I'm looking at getting someone other than Hitomi because the old game I played with her of tap-tap-knockdown is now faulty. Lisa seems like a good choice so far, with her popups into air throws, high throw, and low throw. Or am I going down the wrong road here?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

signalnoise posted:

My online experience so far: Juggles are way more prevalent than they used to be. It's almost like I'm playing Tekken. The DOA I'm used to playing was more about being unpredictable instead of just extending a combo, and my play style seems to be hurting just because everyone else gets so much more damage off a hit confirm. Rig in particular has shown me some 11 hit combos due to juggling.

So because of that I'm looking at getting someone other than Hitomi because the old game I played with her of tap-tap-knockdown is now faulty. Lisa seems like a good choice so far, with her popups into air throws, high throw, and low throw. Or am I going down the wrong road here?

That is probably because Rig is better at playing the stun game than Hitomi.

If you don't want to play the stun game, I'd suggest using grappler characters because you can still use Offensive Holds to deal a lot of damage and they act like catch grabs. Tina, Lisa, Hayabusa, Bass, Mila and Bayaman are grappers in this game.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Juggles are no more or less prevalent than they were before, although the stun game is more important due to critical burst. Also Rig is just a beast right now.

Lisa is definitely going down the wrong road. I love the character but she is kinda complete crap right now. Low throws are universal(as in all characters have them) so don't worry about that. If you like the mixup portion of Lisa's game, I would suggest Ayane, or if it is the grappling part both Tina and Bass are far superior at it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The little connection quality icon doesn't seem to mean poo poo in regards to actual lag, I've had red ones that ran perfectly and just now, a solid three bar grey one that was unbearable.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Juggles are no more or less prevalent than they were before, although the stun game is more important due to critical burst. Also Rig is just a beast right now.

Lisa is definitely going down the wrong road. I love the character but she is kinda complete crap right now. Low throws are universal(as in all characters have them) so don't worry about that. If you like the mixup portion of Lisa's game, I would suggest Ayane, or if it is the grappling part both Tina and Bass are far superior at it.

I've ended up going with Mila for now because she only has like 70 moves and her throw combos are retard simple.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
First DLC is out for all regions.

Second DLC may come out some time in the future.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

uncleKitchener posted:

First DLC is out for all regions.

Second DLC may come out some time in the future.

I hate those catgirl suits ugh.

Why not bring back that old one where she had the belt and the America cape on, that one was pretty boss.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
So I've never, ever played a VF or DOA game before and picked this up having heard some good things about this game in general for people who suck at input strings and an some actual singleplayer content.

For all I've heard about how easy DOA is, it's been pretty brutal so far. I lost my very first rookie versus match hilariously by not button mashing, and I'm just now 3 days in starting to occasionally land a hold if I recognize a string. I can't imagine how long it would take to actually be able to do it well enough to turtle.

Having tried about half the dudes and dudes with giant bosoms in the game, my favorite so far seems to be Kokomo which is surprising because she looks dumb but I find her moveset pretty versatile and fun and not too demanding so far.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Holy poo poo this game is pissing me off. I am coming from SC5 expecting obviously vertical axis attacks to miss if you loving sidestep, BUT SIDESTEP IS loving WORTHLESS

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

Holy poo poo this game is pissing me off. I am coming from SC5 expecting obviously vertical axis attacks to miss if you loving sidestep, BUT SIDESTEP IS loving WORTHLESS
Christie's special sidestep isn't, but yeah the conventional ones seem to be as worthless as ever, despite having a dedicated command.

edit: they seem to have done a lot less to adapt Akira to this style of game than the others, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

edit again: by the way, are there no stages with stairs in them? As I said in my first post in this thread, I bought it because I wanted to kick people down stairs. Where are the stairs?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 5, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Christie's special sidestep isn't, but yeah the conventional ones seem to be as worthless as ever, despite having a dedicated command.

edit: they seem to have done a lot less to adapt Akira to this style of game than the others, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

edit again: by the way, are there no stages with stairs in them? As I said in my first post in this thread, I bought it because I wanted to kick people down stairs. Where are the stairs?

Fight in the temple, tons of stairs

Also I just started remembering to do Mila's super low spin kick. Just like old Cervantes/Hwang/Lizardman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

DOA isn't about sidestepping; It's about prediction and punishment.

By the way Evil Canadian, you're the only Mila player I've met so far who actually seems to know how to use her. I keep running into players who use nothing but her kicks.

• Locked thread