Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I couldn't stand The Game, I thought it was dumb and made no sense. I watched it a few years ago though. I love Fincher so I'll give him another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I couldn't stand The Game, I thought it was dumb and made no sense. I watched it a few years ago though. I love Fincher so I'll give him another chance.

It is dumb, and while it kind of makes sense, it's also pointless.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
My problem with The Game was that I just completely bought into the concept. As a result, I always assumed that the whole thing was part of "the game" right from the start, so at no point did I find any of it remotely suspenseful, and instead speculated on how cool it would be if that actually existed and I could afford to do it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

My problem with The Game was that I just completely bought into the concept. As a result, I always assumed that the whole thing was part of "the game" right from the start, so at no point did I find any of it remotely suspenseful, and instead speculated on how cool it would be if that actually existed and I could afford to do it.

And the film basically asks you to do this. I also feel that that the moral of the story is essentially "yes money can buy everything. even catharsis for your father's suicide"

Add to this the fact that as much as I love Michael Douglas, he's playing his most generic rich white businessman character. I felt like there was no character, it was just Michael Douglas.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You guys should ALL watch House of Games. "The Game" is like the insulting, watered down version of the same sort of movie. Not that I don't like aspects of it. But Mamet originated this style of film in many ways and he does it better than anyone else.

Also worth watching in the same vein: The Spanish Prisoner. It contains a truly wonderful performance by Steve Martin playing completely against type in a very cool way.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

kaworu posted:

You guys should ALL watch House of Games. "The Game" is like the insulting, watered down version of the same sort of movie. Not that I don't like aspects of it. But Mamet originated this style of film in many ways and he does it better than anyone else.
I don't understand why you keep saying this. House of Games has almost nothing in common with The Game, and certainly doesn't fit the category of this thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As a side note I've always found it funny that Johnathan Katz has a credit in House of Games, because he and David Mamet were college roommates (and ping pong hustlers).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

kuddles posted:

I don't understand why you keep saying this. House of Games has almost nothing in common with The Game, and certainly doesn't fit the category of this thread.

It absolutely does - both films are deeply involved with perpetrating a "con" on the audience, and in both cases the "con" is multiple levels deep, and has to do with the way we (seeing everything from the point of view of the protagonist) get drawn into the con for various reasons. If you break the films down stage by stage and compare them, they hit practically identical checkpoints along the way, in terms of having necessary scenes where we're convinced we do know what's actually going on.

Here's a specific example that I'm going to spoiler because it involves significant spoilers for BOTH films: There are literally identical scenes in each film where The Mark manages to outwit the con artists and goes to their "home base" to see all the various characters The Mark encountered along the way of the con (both antagonists and people that were helpful), and all of them are hanging out, eating/drinking, as if they were old friends - even the ones who seemed to be strangers to one another just the day before. You've got the same exact scene in both films, and it serves the same exact purpose. But whereas the ending of The Game is kinda silly and ultimately ironically detached, the end of House of Games is absolutely stunning and makes the film muchmore complex and fascinating in retrospect.

And if House of Games isn't a psychological thriller, then what is it? It's certainly not straight drama. It's got some crime it but it's definitely not strictly a crime film. Definitely not a comedy of any sort. Netflix has gives it the following genre tags: Thriller, Crime Thrillers, Mysteries, Psychological Thrillers. I'd say that means it fits in this thread. I'm honestly confused how anyone could watch it and not think it that "thriller/mystery" would be the only genre terms to describe it in.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 1, 2012

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I remember seeing it back when I was a kid and thinking it was awesome. I watched it recently and I thought the acting and some of the lines were hilariously bad. There's a part where Michael Douglas jumps into a dumpster and remarks with something stupid to two on-lookers like, "table for two please" as he wipes off Chinese food from his shoulder. It doesn't sound bad as I type this, but the line and delivery was so loving corny that I almost immediately turned it off.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
I'm compiling a list of these great movies to watch thanks to this thread. Cmon people! I need more suggestions.

Also I loved Event Horizon, Sunshine, Moon and a bunch of others mentioned here. Are there more crazy weird poo poo in space movies? I love that feeling of isolated on a creepy ship/planet/space station whatever and dealing with unknown weirdness.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

JD-Smith posted:

I'm compiling a list of these great movies to watch thanks to this thread. Cmon people! I need more suggestions.

Also I loved Event Horizon, Sunshine, Moon and a bunch of others mentioned here. Are there more crazy weird poo poo in space movies? I love that feeling of isolated on a creepy ship/planet/space station whatever and dealing with unknown weirdness.

Have you seen Pandorum? I didn't like it very much, but I recall it being pretty popular.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

User-Friendly posted:

Have you seen Pandorum? I didn't like it very much, but I recall it being pretty popular.

Yes I saw that one. I was pretty disappointed by the whole thing although there were a couple of cool parts.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm afraid it will suck because it looks like they added some high-school drama bullshit, but I'm hoping it will have some interesting visuals and /or weird poo poo. I actually really like the first one, and thought it was more coherent than most people judged it to be.

The new one is the definition of incoherent. The plot is terrible and pretty incoherent even though a third of it is exposition. Most of the cool visuals had no link to the story so came out of nowhere and then left just as quickly so just ended up being boring. To round it off, the writing and acting are awful.
In summary: I wasn't a fan.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who genuinely enjoyed it, and not just in a 'so bad it's good' way.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Unless I missed it, haven't seen Lake Mungo mentioned yet.

It's a documentary about a family that loses a daughter, and their struggle coming to terms with their grief. When weird, maybe supernatural stuff starts to happen around the house, and family members start questioning whether or not they saw what they think they saw, an investigation into the life of their lost daughter reveals she had a secret life. Without spoiling anything, the film does a good job of constantly posing the question "is it really supernatural, or is it a grieving family desperate to find some way of believing their dead daughter is still around?" Just when you think it's leaning one way or the other, another little snippet is revealed that throws it back into question again. I'd say it was equal parts creepy to melancholy, and ever so slightly disturbing, though nowhere near on the scale of some of the films discussed in recent pages of the thread.

Another Australian documentary-style one I liked, The Tunnel.

This gets more in your face than Lake Mungo, but as far as I can remember doesn't contain anything overly gore-festy. That said, the buildup to poo poo kicking off is the strongest selling point here. From the main character, a fearless reporter desperate to land her career breaking story, first hearing tales of strange occurrences in the tunnels deep below Sydney to the team actually getting down there and realising they're out of their depth and getting stalked takes up at least half the movie. It's creepy and tense, and the moment things first go south has a really good bit involving a lost-and-found-again camera. This was one of those films I spent half the time watching through a crack in between my fingers.

This one is AFAIK distributed for free legally, but I just tried to go to their site and Chrome gave me a malware warning, so proceed at your own risk. Since it's legally free to download and watch, you can probably get it from all the usual :filez: places guilt-free.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cactus posted:

This one is AFAIK distributed for free legally, but I just tried to go to their site and Chrome gave me a malware warning, so proceed at your own risk. Since it's legally free to download and watch, you can probably get it from all the usual :filez: places guilt-free.
It is indeed free, that was a very cool thing for the filmmakers to do. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, if you like found footage, or even don't like it that much, this is a decent horror film. I like that the setup for the movie is they have a camera crew, so there's a minimum of the camera swinging around all over the place and giving you a headache.

That's weird about the site, I wonder what happened. Just go here for the torrent: http://vodo.net/thetunnel

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
I've been asking for these for a while, but: Can anyone suggest me some Docudramas?
Sci-fi, horror, or thriller docudramas.

Let me clarify on this. I'm not talking found-footage, because found footage tend to be very raw, mimicking an unedited format.

I'm talking docudrama, where there's an awareness to the editing. Basically a mockumentary, but not played for laughs or irony. A film that uses the narrative structure of a documentary, which will then include found-footage or interview footage within it's structure.

I know that's a bit specific, but I really love these.

Examples I've seen recently that I really like include:

Grave Encounters: stated to have been found footage that was edited by a third party for time and clarity, to present the findings after the fact.

Ghostwatch: made for tv movie in the form of a Halloween night investigative special into a haunted house, complete with fake experts and fake call-ins, as though it were really being broadcast. This one was brilliant.

Special Report Bulletin: Film of the news coverage of a terrorist attack, as though you were watching it on TV, as the event unfolds.

Science Report: Alternative 3: an April fools prank by a reputable science show, where they produced an entire episode of investigative reporting where it looked like they'd uncovered a conspiracy between the US and Russia during the cold war. This one ruled like crazy.

I love these, because they remind me of the old War of the Worlds style radio plays, and of the YTV halloween marathons where the station hosts ended up in a haunted house or something between shows.

I've been bugging people for these in the general chat thread, and now that this thread popped back up, I thought I'd mention them and hope for more. And yeah, I know everyone's going to suggest Paranormal Activity: I count that more as found footage, but I'm planning to watch it later this week.

edit: screwed up a title.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 17, 2013

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I've been asking for these for a while, but: Can anyone suggest me some Docudramas?

Let me clarify on this. I'm not talking found-footage, because found footage tend to be very raw, mimicking an unedited format.

I'm talking docudrama, where there's an awareness to the editing. Basically a mockumentary, but not played for laughs or irony. A film that uses the narrative structure of a documentary, which will then include found-footage or interview footage within it's structure.

The Legend of Boggy Creek gave me the heebie jeebies as a little kid. It's a "documentary" about a bigfoot-like creature in Arkansas. It's from the 70's, though, and very low budget.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Special Report: Film of the news coverage of a terrorist attack, as though you were watching it on TV, as the event unfolds.

Got a link to this? I've tried googling but as you can imagine with a search term so vague it's giving me everything under the sun except the programme you described.

Also, since you didn't mention you had seen it, Lake Mungo sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Haha, well it would've helped you if I'd gotten the drat name right. I'll edit my post.

Special Bulletin, which is available in full on youtube. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUxu_m6mrU
And it's more complicated and interesting than the simple blurb I gave you.

Wizchine posted:

The Legend of Boggy Creek gave me the heebie jeebies as a little kid. It's a "documentary" about a bigfoot-like creature in Arkansas. It's from the 70's, though, and very low budget.
I'll check this out!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The two that were mentioned right above, The Tunnel and Lake Mungo, are exactly like this, did you check those out yet?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Not yet, I will add those to the list. I'm actually keeping a list.

Do they have talking heads, interviews, or fake experts? Or anchors/hosts that eventually are just trying to cope while staying professional? When there's that much documentary overlaid, I'm pumped.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The Last Broadcast, but I'm sure you've seen it...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Do they have talking heads, interviews, or fake experts? Or anchors/hosts that eventually are just trying to cope while staying professional? When there's that much documentary overlaid, I'm pumped.
Lake Mungo is a straight up docudrama all through, they've got the fake interviews, clips from news stations, and voiceovers, with the found footage parts woven throughout. You should love it, it's really good and well put together, although it takes time to build up.

The Tunnel is sort of bookended with interviews and news segments, it starts off as a talking heads documentary, then turns into found footage for most of the movie, with some cuts back to the interviews now and then.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Special Bulletin, which is available in full on youtube. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUxu_m6mrU
And it's more complicated and interesting than the simple blurb I gave you.

I saw this on TV when I was a little kid, probably when it first aired - I think I just turned the TV on and it happened to be on that channel, and I was too young to understand that it wasn't real. It scared the poo poo out of me.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Hmmm how about Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon? or the way Pontypool is filmed might appeal to you. Both are firmly in the horror genre.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

All of these suggestions are awesome, thank you.

And I have seen Pontypool, and though I wouldn't put it in that category, it's like an inside-out version of the genre, and I loved it. Especially the ending, but especially the opening voice-over.

Fun fact: I grew up near that specific town of Pontypool, and my grandmother lives in the next town over. The author of the novel/novella has another book called The Hellmouths of Bewdley, which is where my parents now live.

Mrs. French's cat has not yet been found.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in to recommend <b>Pontypool</b>. I took a chance on it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The film takes places almost entirely inside a small town radio station and follows the radio crew during a regular programming day that turns into a, for lack of a better term, 'zombie' outbreak.

One of the best scenes involves the radio host talking to a field reporter who is frantically describing the situation, without ever showing it from his perspective, keeping the audience as in the dark as the characters.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Fun fact: I grew up near that specific town of Pontypool, and my grandmother lives in the next town over. The author of the novel/novella has another book called The Hellmouths of Bewdley, which is where my parents now live.

Mrs. French's cat has not yet been found.

The main reason I checked out Pontypool was because I was really interested to hear of a zombie movie set in rural Ontario :zombie:

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Weirdo posted:

One of the best scenes involves the radio host talking to a field reporter who is frantically describing the situation, without ever showing it from his perspective, keeping the audience as in the dark as the characters.

Those two scenes are intense as hell. I should just add the film to my list and give it a rewatch.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Those two scenes are intense as hell. I should just add the film to my list and give it a rewatch.

The first half of Pontypool is the best zombie film I've ever seen.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

kuddles posted:

Well, thanks to this thread I discovered Triangle, which before now I never heard of. It was certainly my kind of movie, especially how it allows for more than one interpretation of the events.

My only major problem with it is that you have to swallow the major convienience that at some point in the cycle either she mostly forgets what happened previously or behaves like she does which wouldn't help her in her overall goal.

But then, that's always an issue with these types of movies. After all, in Timecrimes you have to accept that people won't question rather absurd suggestions such as "The only rational thing for you to do right now is hide in this tiny tub of liquid" or "Trust me, cutting your hair is the only way to escape this madman."

Still enjoyed both films quite a lot, though. At the very least, it's clear the writers put a lot of thought into them instead of just relying on a cheap twist at the end.

Apologies for replying to an old post. Major Triangle spoilers. I don't think the Jess we follow suffers memory loss before getting back on the ship. At some point, fresh versions of a person are drawn into the time paradox just like her friends and the seagull who all pile up. Presumably some versions of Jess have not been on the boat earlier even if the Jess we follow is saying weird things about her kid in the start. Maybe she's just covering up that she beats him.

Anyway. The Jess that has already been to the USS Time Paradox and has lost her son returns to the ship for a chance to see her dead kid again. We've seen several versions of Jess with the mask on, and this is the one that becomes the cruelest killer. She's there to murder her way back to her kid, and she is killed off on screen around the time we see the Sally-massgrave.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 18, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

futureproof posted:

All too true. That movie goes from terrifying to forgettable in the space of one camera cut. But that first half, holy poo poo.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

Apologies for replying to an old post. Major Triangle spoilers. I don't think the Jess we follow suffers memory loss before getting back on the ship. At some point, fresh versions of a person are drawn into the time paradox just like her friends and the seagull who all pile up. Presumably some versions of Jess have not been on the boat earlier even if the Jess we follow is saying weird things about her kid in the start. Maybe she's just covering up that she beats him.
My problem with that interpretation is in order for it to work, that would mean all those scenes at the beginning of the film play out exactly the way they would if she had killed the previous Jess in her own house, which creates an even bigger convienience and lazy misdirection in a film that otherwise seems intent on giving you deliberate clues. Furthermore, it brings up the question of why she would even race to catch that boat in subsequent loops if she knew her son dies in a car crash. To me, the only way it cleanly works if she loses her memory either right after the car crash or when she takes a nap on the boat. I'm inclined to believe the latter because she has that vision of washing ashore in her sleep suggesting the loop has reset and seems confused immediately afterwards.

Sarchasm posted:

All too true. That movie goes from terrifying to forgettable in the space of one camera cut. But that first half, holy poo poo.
I disagree. While I thought the inclusion of a new character who literally explains what's going on to the audience was unnecessary, I loved the overall reveal and the way it concluded.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.
Regarding Pontypool:

kuddles posted:

I disagree. While I thought the inclusion of a new character who literally explains what's going on to the audience was unnecessary, I loved the overall reveal and the way it concluded.

I really didn't like the way it concluded, because I thought a lot of the tension dissipated with the exposition dump and then the insistence on beating a single idea into abstraction.

On the other hand, it was really faithful to the spirit of the book. On the third hand, the book was (as the author freely admits and for which he apologizes) a deliberately impenetrable exercise in semiotics.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Since the topic of docudramas came up, here's something similar:

Punishment Park (1971)

The movie takes place in an alternate future/universe of America where a documentary crew from England films the US government's newest form of dealing with 'criminals.' It's explained that the government has declared a state of emergency with the anti-war movement growing in numbers over the year, and now anyone who simply seems threatening can get arrested by the police. They're then taken to the desert and put through a tribunal made up of "members of the community" where they're given two options: Serve out a harsh prison sentence (usually 10-15 years) or take their chance in Punishment Park.

What is Punishment Park? It's a 50+ mile trek through the California desert to a site with an American flag. If the prisoners can make it to the flag within 3 days without food and water they don't have to serve out their sentence. The catch is that Punishment Park is actually a training exercise for law enforcement officers/the National Guard. The prisoners are given a head start for a few hours, but then the officers/solders are sent out to hunt them down. If a prisoner is caught/arrested they're taken back and forced to serve out their sentence.

This movie never really got much love since its release. It premiered at Cannes to some decent reviews, but in the same year it was ripped apart by critics at the New York Film Festival. Part of the reason is because people were livid at a British filmmaker portraying America as some sort of police-state nightmare, and no one in Hollywood ever distributed it. Decades later people have finally warmed up to it and given the movie the recognition it deserves, with a Blu-Ray release in the UK and a limited run on DVD in the US.

Watching the movie today it's shocking that it's over 40 years old. It's definitely a product of its time but it came before movies like Cannibal Holocaust, The Blair Witch Project, Battle Royale, etc. and you can see this movie sharing some very distant qualities with all of those kinds of films. This isn't a straight up horror film in the traditional sense, but it's an incredibly realistic and visceral experience. It was made for a tiny budget (under $100k including film prints/processing) and there are moments where it's obvious that the cast/crew were actually getting mad at each other and taking things too far. This may skirt the line with the thread's requirements but I can safely say that I was bothered more by this movie than a lot of other titles suggested in here.

Here's a trailer (:nws: for language I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh2r2ojP3I

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Y'know, gently caress you guys. Lake Mungo started out really interesting, an intricate ghost story that was just like the well made ghost documentaries out there. Then it got really, really sad and upsetting. I mean, it got really good again after that, but drat there was just a really ugly twist in there.

I enjoyed it, but drat did that middle part sting.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Y'know, gently caress you guys. Lake Mungo started out really interesting, an intricate ghost story that was just like the well made ghost documentaries out there. Then it got really, really sad and upsetting. I mean, it got really good again after that, but drat there was just a really ugly twist in there.

I enjoyed it, but drat did that middle part sting.

Been a while since I saw it, what are you referring to?

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Probably the whole prank by the son to suggest she's alive.

Lake Mungo is a pretty quintessential example for this thread. Definitely flawed but thematically much more interesting than the large majority of horror films. Plus it earns the long build-up to "THAT scene."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

justlikedunkirk posted:

Probably the whole prank by the son to suggest she's alive.

Actually, I would probably say he's talking about the neighbor thing. That bothered the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really want to watch Mungo again but I feel like I need to show it to somebody else to earn that viewing because it's that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

futureproof posted:

Frankly, that Pontypool is even halfway good is a testament to Bruce McDonald making sense of what was some pretty poo poo source material. The novel is one of the first I've read that has an Author's Note at the end which more or less apologizes for the book and writes it off as a young writers' self-indulgent first novel.

That said, there are a few scenes in the book that would be fantastic if translated to the screen, but overall the whole thing is a mess.

http://www.amazon.com/Pontypool-Changes-Everything-Tony-Burgess/dp/1550228811

• Locked thread