Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Any band that has Les Claypool is going to sound like other dudes AND Les Claypool, rather than Les trying to blend into the group. I feel kinda the same way about Adrian sometimes but he has the musicality to rope it back and still do his thing in a group setting (EG when he was touring with Talking Heads)

I dunno, I thought Oysterhead worked. I'd really like to hear more Oysterhead.

And I don't know if that was the problem with the cuts from Side One, either. There was just something missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Iucounu posted:

Hey guys,

You may remember a few months back I posted some of my bands demos and got some great feedback. Just wanted to give you an update. We re-recorded some of the parts using some of the criticism you guys provided, and had our stuff mixed by Thaddeus Corea (son of the legendary Chick Corea). Here is the product of that process:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique/escape-velocity

But the best news is this: we submitted it to Prog Rock Magazine, and they are going to include it on an unsigned artists compilation CD to be handed out the first annual Progressive Music Awards, and included in a special edition of the magazine itself covering the awards show.

Your input was really helpful and was definitely a factor in getting our track in shape to be submitted. Thanks goons!

hey man, this is really drat good. Well done

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think it's Madness that really drags Side One down. It's a dissonant, lumbering, and fairly aimless and uninteresting instrumental that reminds me of the weakest ProjeKcts material, and it's the longest track on the album and right in the middle of everything.

If nothing else, Side One's the album that gave us Writing on the Wall and Beat Box Guitar, two of the best things I think he's ever done.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Rollersnake posted:

It would be neat if he released that tape. I've always been curious about it.

That said, I've grown so tired of the monologue in Thela Hun Ginjeet from repeated listens that I can hardly bring myself to listen to the song anymore.

Exactly, I loved how in Absent Lovers they just forget the tape and jam.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JAMOOOL posted:

Exactly, I loved how in Absent Lovers they just forget the tape and jam.

Bonus from camp: backstage passes to meet up with TL before the Toronto PG gig :)

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

are we all in agreement that Decline and Fall is the best prog album of this year?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So, Stolen Babies' new album Naught is available digitally. I'm about halfway through it and my only real comments are that the songs seem a bit more polished so far, and that they seem to borrow a bit more from more run of the mill metal/prog. Not that that's a bad thing since I haven't run into any tracks I dislike so far as I did with the previous album.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

For some reason the Zune store let me buy Sounds That Can't Be Made early last week and have been giving it many listens.
It took a while to grow on me, but I think I agree with those who say it is the best Marillion album since Marbles. Gaza is such a good song, even if the opening guitar feels quite harsh, but then I felt that way about Cathedral Wall.
The only track I am not too keen on at the moment is The Sky Above The Rain, I find it a bit unmemorable.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I really don't like Gaza. I mean, I'm glad they're trying something different, but it just feels like limp, uninspired prog-metal to me. Power is another one of those instantly forgettable "generic Marillion" songs. I haven't even bought the album yet, but the samples don't have me excited at all.

Katina
May 3, 2009
I think Gaza is by far the best track on the album, followed by the title track, Power and Sky Above the Rain. Pour My Love is growing on me as well, but Gaza is definitely a standout for me, especially the guitar solo (disclaimer: I am the guitarist's daughter. So I could be biased.) Just don't listen too hard to the lyrics on Montreal.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Katina posted:

(disclaimer: I am the guitarist's daughter. So I could be biased.)

Well, this is pretty rad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Now that I listen to it again, the biggest problem I have with Gaza is that it just has no flow. In contrast to one of their really good epic tracks like Invisible Man or Ocean Cloud, it just sounds like a bunch of disparate pieces haphazardly stitched together. The closing section is the only part I feel really works, and it's not enough to make up for the preceding 15 or so minutes. Also I think the synths are really cheesy and clash badly, and H's lyrics are clumsy, and the whole thing is just a mess, really.

Edit: I'm sorry. Maybe Songs That Can't Be Made will grow on me, but as of right now, I feel it's their weakest effort since Radiation. There isn't a single track I like in its entirety, and Power in all its forgettableness is probably the strongest one overall. Could've been Montreal, but the lyrics really are that bad.

david puddy posted:

Well, this is pretty rad.

Also, this. I mean no disrespect to the band with my comments, and I hope they aren't interpreted as such. I'm a huge Marillion fan and think Brave and Marbles are two of the best progressive rock albums of the past 20 years. I'm just not really liking Sounds That Can't Be Made at all.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 22, 2012

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Montreal is just so cheesy, but I find it charming. I think it's nice to have something that is not particularly meaningful- especially with Gaza around, it makes for a nice counter.

I see Gaza like I do Amarok, disjointed but for the most part each section works. The subject matter is such that the lyrics are likely to be clumsy- I think Tom Waits did the topic best with Road To Peace but Gaza was not a bad attempt, I think it is very touching in places.

I would still rate the epics you mentioned above any of these- plus Neverland, I love that song to bits. But Marbles was just such a standout.

Katina
May 3, 2009
I love the end of Montreal; but the segment about skyping and 'technology is wonderful when it isn't in the way'... the first time I heard it I pulled a face. I try my best to ignore it.

I think Gaza might be a little disjointed, yeah - especially compared to the previously mentioned epics. It definitely feels more chaotic and less smooth, but I think that adds to the meaning of it.

A highlight of the album for me is the second segment of the title track, when the guitar kicks in just before the 'aurora borealis' section.

Rollersnake posted:

I mean no disrespect to the band with my comments, and I hope they aren't interpreted as such. I'm a huge Marillion fan and think Brave and Marbles are two of the best progressive rock albums of the past 20 years. I'm just not really liking Sounds That Can't Be Made at all.

Don't worry about it. Overall, the response to STCBM has been hugely positive, but we have had several people sending hate mail about Gaza, so a respectful negative review is appreciated. Hopefully it improves on further listens, but I have realised it is pretty impossible for most people to love the music as much as I do.

Brave and Marbles are two of my favourite albums as well. I adore pretty much every single track on Brave (trivia! the crying newborn on the title track is me. I have offered to perform this part live, but I think I've outgrown it.) and Marbles having Invisible Man, Ocean Cloud, Neverland, Fantastic Place, The Only Unforgivable Thing, not to mention You're Gone, Angelina, the Marbles'... obviously it was a double album, but drat.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I have never actually listened to Marillion. That is probably a thing which I should do.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

BigFactory posted:

I dunno, I thought Oysterhead worked. I'd really like to hear more Oysterhead.

And I don't know if that was the problem with the cuts from Side One, either. There was just something missing.

gently caress, you're right. The Oysterhead album is good. I guess Les just kinda needs some other people to pull in the reigns.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

david puddy posted:

I have never actually listened to Marillion. That is probably a thing which I should do.

Marbles was the one that got me into them and what I still consider their masterpiece, so I can't recommend a better place to start than there.

Though if you wanted more of an overview, the live album Size Matters (sigh) features maybe the best setlist you could ever hope for at a Marillion concert. If there were something from Brave on there, it would be perfect.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 23, 2012

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Does musical talent run in the family?

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Just got home from work - only to find Get All You Deserve waiting for me on the table. For some reason I could have sworn the release date was October 15...oh well. I'm not complaining!

It sounds really good so far. Marco's drumming on "No Twilight..." is really groovy, with the perfect amount of showy on top. Though that awesome bass riff isn't prominent enough in the mix until about the 5 minute mark. Prior to that, it sort of sounds like an improv off of King Crimson's The Great Deceiver box set.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

Just got home from work - only to find Get All You Deserve waiting for me on the table. For some reason I could have sworn the release date was October 15...oh well. I'm not complaining!

It sounds really good so far. Marco's drumming on "No Twilight..." is really groovy, with the perfect amount of showy on top. Though that awesome bass riff isn't prominent enough in the mix until about the 5 minute mark. Prior to that, it sort of sounds like an improv off of King Crimson's The Great Deceiver box set.

Its official release was the 24th of September, I'm hoping my copy is waiting for me when I go home from this holiday. The order pages for the regular editions are up on burning shed too for all you casual SW fans.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Am I crazy, or did Marillion basically invent (music industry) crowd sourcing? I know I've got my name in the Anoraknophobia liner notes, and that was a long, long time before Kickstarter.

Marillion rules, in any event. Well, I find Fish-era stuff unlistenable, but the rest of it rules.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Am I crazy, or did Marillion basically invent (music industry) crowd sourcing? I know I've got my name in the Anoraknophobia liner notes, and that was a long, long time before Kickstarter.

Marillion rules, in any event. Well, I find Fish-era stuff unlistenable, but the rest of it rules.

You haven't heard about Marillion.com yet? (it's at the very end) They pretty much did every online thing before every band.

:ssh: Most of the album sucks except for Deserve :ssh:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

iamathousandapples posted:

You haven't heard about Marillion.com yet? (it's at the very end) They pretty much did every online thing before every band.

No, I'm pretty aware, which was why I figured they were the first to do stuff like that.

And marillion.com is good! I think the aforementioned Brave and Marbles are actually overrated, and the quality of the 90's-'00s albums are all pretty consistent. I like Radiation, .com, and Anoraknophobia as much as Marbles. I think so, at least. Haven't listened to Radiation in a while.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

I like Interior Lulu :(

I also like a number of songs off Radiation and Anoraknophobia. I can't say they are better than Sunlight / Brave / Marbles but I don't think they are terrible albums.

I like a lot of the Fish era stuff too- even Fugazi. I just agree with Steve Hogarth when he says Marillion would have been best off if they had changed their name when he came in (Or at least by Eden / Brave).

Then again, I really like Calling All Stations and wish Ray Wilson had been given more time, so...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

I think .com has grown on me more than any other Marillion album. I was definitely of the opinion that it was one of their worst after my first listen, but now I just think it's their most wildly inconsistent. Interior Lulu I consider one of the best songs they ever made, I'm also really fond of A Legacy, and I guess Go! is pretty nice too. Most of the rest (Deserve included) I think is pretty dreadful.

Also the drum machine in Deserve can't help but remind me of that "Stand Out" song from the Goofy Movie soundtrack, though I don't know for sure that that's a bad thing.

Regarding Radiation, I remember reading an interview with Steve Hogarth where he described Under the Sun as being like a Lenny Kravitz song—I agree, and that's kind of my problem with the album as a whole. Too much of it is in that slick, tepid mainstream '90s rock vein. It's not so much the compositions I don't like as the arrangements—the acoustic performances of The Answering Machine I've heard have been pretty good, but on Radiation it just sounds gross. There's some good material like Now She'll Never Know and A Few Word for the Dead, but there's just not enough of it—I kind of go back and forth on whether I think Holidays in Eden or Radiation (and I guess now Sounds That Can't Be Made too) is the weakest Hogarth-era album.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 28, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The new Porcupine Tree CD/DVD set Octane Twisted is available for preorder on Burning Shed. The copies which come with the DVD are limited though (the regular edition is just a 2CD set) so you'd be wanting to get in now if you are a fan.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I'm now hooked on Renaissance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Check out this BBC program they did in '77.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJM3Mb6dVUk

Edit: spellchecker :doom:

TheForgotton fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 4, 2012

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheForgotton posted:

I'm now hooked on Reinsurance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Renaissance?

Nice spell checker.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

TheForgotton posted:

I'm now hooked on Reinsurance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Renaissance is a pretty great band, though I'm not sure why they aren't as well known(or discussed, whatever) as a lot of other 70's prog bands. Scheherazade and Other Stories is an album I constantly recommend people.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think it's maybe because they don't have much of an edge—of all the major '70s prog rock groups, they're the most overwhelmingly pleasant. Their music is gorgeous, and I think they're a great band, but I can see why they wouldn't have the same appeal as ELP despite being a similar sort of lush, neoclassical progressive rock.

They were the Saturday night headliner at NEARfest 2012, and I got to see them perform Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and Other Stories back to back. They weren't quite as strong as they were in their prime (mostly due to their new bassist/backing vocalist sometimes singing off-key), but Mother Russia and Song of Scheherazade were absolutely epic. And seeing an aged Annie Haslam dressed in the same peasant girl garb she would have worn in the '70s singing Cold is Being was nothing short of devastating.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 4, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

TheForgotton posted:

I'm now hooked on Renaissance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Edit: spellchecker :doom:

Oh my god this band is awesome. There are a couple of albums on Spotify and I am absolutely consuming them. I'm sure I'll think it's cheesy later, but right now pleasant is what I need. That's the best word for them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
A neat (and fairly well-known, I guess) bit of trivia regarding Renaissance—the band's entire lineup changed in between their second and third albums. I can't think of a single other instance where that has occurred.

Michael Dunford played guitar on one track on Illusion and Jim McCarty wrote some of the material on Prologue and Ashes are Burning—that's the only overlap.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Rollersnake posted:

A neat (and fairly well-known, I guess) bit of trivia regarding Renaissance—the band's entire lineup changed in between their second and third albums. I can't think of a single other instance where that has occurred.

One band that comes to mind, though not prog, is Christian Death. The entire band except the lead singer left after the first album. Then after the second or third alum the lead singer left, and the band recorded for a few more years with no original members.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Michael Dunford played guitar on one track on Illusion and Jim McCarty wrote some of the material on Prologue and Ashes are Burning—that's the only overlap.

PRR pretty much dropped half their line up between their two albums. To be fair though, they had a poo poo ton of members when they started.

e: actually, they dropped everyone but the two main vocalists

iamathousandapples fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 8, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Mithra6 posted:

One band that comes to mind, though not prog, is Christian Death. The entire band except the lead singer left after the first album. Then after the second or third alum the lead singer left, and the band recorded for a few more years with no original members.

That is so weird. How can they even keep the same name if it's a completely different band?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Decided to give Renaissance a listen today. Considering how much I love British folk rock like The Pentangle and Fairport Convention I'm surprised I hadn't listened to them sooner.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That is so weird. How can they even keep the same name if it's a completely different band?

I have no idea. It was awkward when the original lead signer reformed with the original guitarist and drummer. I can't remember what they called themselves.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

PRR pretty much dropped half their line up between their two albums. To be fair though, they had a poo poo ton of members when they started.

PRR made a third album, though honestly you were probably better off not knowing that.

Mithra6 posted:

I have no idea. It was awkward when the original lead signer reformed with the original guitarist and drummer. I can't remember what they called themselves.

This happened with the original Renaissance lineup as well, who reformed a few years later under the name Illusion (minus Keith Relf, who was electrocuted to death during rehearsal by an improperly grounded electric guitar). They also released an album in 2001 under the name Renaissance Illusion.

Edit: What word would you even use to mean "severely shock, but not fatally" then? I mean, when you really look at the word, it's kind of obvious it means to kill with electricity, but still...

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 11, 2012

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

PRR made a third album, though honestly you were probably better off not knowing that.

Listening to parts of this now. If it's anything like the first song(Blitzkrieg) I'm probably damned for my curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rollersnake posted:

electrocuted to death
I don't mean to be a complete pedant, but the prog thread is probably the best place on the forums for that -- this is like saying someone was "executed to death."