Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well, it is called Night Of The Living Dead, maybe they thought it was supposed to be day-for-night?

:downs:

RichterIX posted:

What's funny is reading the blu-ray.com forums and watching people who paid $30 for this piece of poo poo fall all over themselves trying to justify their purchase.

"Well, if I turn the Blue setting on my TV all the way down and the Red and Green settings all the way up, this looks pretty good :downs:"

Following the chaos after a particularly bad blu-ray release is like a spectator sport. The Canal+ Ran was really fun ("This is the best the film can probably look because it's so old" came up a lot, which I've also heard for films as recent as The Truman Show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Every time you think a Blu-ray gently caress up can't be topped...

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Looks like there is a new candidate for worst Blu-Ray ever released. Night Of The Living Dead (1990) from Twilight Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i6MZnqPnTxU

It's hard to believe a title could be botched that badly and it isn't just that scene. The entire movie is suppose to be like that.

Holy poo poo. I've never seen anything like this. The only thing keeping this from reaching maximum comedy levels for me is the fact that I really was waiting on a blu-ray release.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy poo poo. I've never seen anything like this. The only thing keeping this from reaching maximum comedy levels for me is the fact that I really was waiting on a blu-ray release.

I just find it difficult to believe that this wasn't picked up by anyone involved with the transfer :psyduck:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I apologize if this has already been covered, but is the new ST:TNG blu-rays as good as they sound? I heard a bit of the restoration process on NPR this weekend, but since cash is tight, I want to make sure they are as good as they sound.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

I apologize if this has already been covered, but is the new ST:TNG blu-rays as good as they sound? I heard a bit of the restoration process on NPR this weekend, but since cash is tight, I want to make sure they are as good as they sound.

Might want to hold off. A few of the discs have apparently very noticeable problems with the DTS 7.1 audio. They are issuing replacement discs so if you don't mind dealing with that go ahead and buy, but otherwise I'd wait for them to put out fixed sets. As far as I know they haven't, or at least I haven't heard any news on how to tell the difference between fixed and not fixed sets.

EDIT
Details - http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/star-trek-tng-s1-blu-ray-set-has-an-audio-flaw-free-replacemen/

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CrushedWill posted:

Aside from the 7.1 mistakes (and they really were only a big problem for me on one episode, so you're mileage may vary), the picture is really good. They didn't DNR the film to hell, and the show looks better than half of the stuff on TV today.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

ApexAftermath posted:

Might want to hold off. A few of the discs have apparently very noticeable problems with the DTS 7.1 audio. They are issuing replacement discs so if you don't mind dealing with that go ahead and buy, but otherwise I'd wait for them to put out fixed sets. As far as I know they haven't, or at least I haven't heard any news on how to tell the difference between fixed and not fixed sets.

EDIT
Details - http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/star-trek-tng-s1-blu-ray-set-has-an-audio-flaw-free-replacemen/

I will hold off a few weeks until I can be reasonably sure discs with the 7.1 are out of the retail chain. Thanks for the info!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Aside from the 7.1 mistakes (and they really were only a big problem for me on one episode, so you're mileage may vary), the picture is really good. They didn't DNR the film to hell, and the show looks better than half of the stuff on TV today.

I didn't catch all the details of the restoration, but it sounds like the team restored the episodes from the original 35mm dailies, having to reconstruct episodes piece by piece. I'm also glad they resisted George Lucasing the gently caress out of the series and stuck to the original plots.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

I will hold off a few weeks until I can be reasonably sure discs with the 7.1 are out of the retail chain. Thanks for the info!

Yeah I'm still not sure if they plan to release fixed sets as I have never been able to find anyone talking about it. I hope they don't just go with the replacement program and decide against issuing new sets.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure if they plan to release fixed sets as I have never been able to find anyone talking about it. I hope they don't just go with the replacement program and decide against issuing new sets.

Fixed sets are already making their way to stores - I've seen them around at a few places myself. You can tell a set has the corrected discs by two things - the spine (both the slipcover and the actual case) will have the Star Fleet insignia towards the top, just below the CBS symbol, and the UPC will be yellow instead of the regular white.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CrushedWill posted:

I didn't catch all the details of the restoration, but it sounds like the team restored the episodes from the original 35mm dailies, having to reconstruct episodes piece by piece.
Yeah, they had to recomposite everything which is obviously a huge task.

I believe the biggest changes are CGI models for planets and perhaps slightly better lighting of certain effects (in the TVIV thread, someone mentioned applied CGI lighting to the Enterprise during some scene).

Beyond that, season 1 looked fantastic and I'm expecting season 2 (December) to look just as good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I don't even like Star Trek and I've considered buying it just to show my appreciation for the work they put into it.

But drat, that price.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Cemetry Gator posted:

If anything, the restoration is too good. If you pay too close attention, it'll be pretty clear that some of the make-up and props were never intended to be seen at a higher image quality than an SD television signal.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

kuddles posted:

If anything, the restoration is too good. If you pay too close attention, it'll be pretty clear that some of the make-up and props were never intended to be seen at a higher image quality than an SD television signal.

Yes, there is one episode where if you look at the computer panels you can see the boom mic following Riker as he walks across the bridge of the Enterprise.

But honestly, the bad make-up and stuff looked bad in SD. It's just when the rest of the show looks so good, it just makes it stand out more.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes, there is one episode where if you look at the computer panels you can see the boom mic following Riker as he walks across the bridge of the Enterprise.

But honestly, the bad make-up and stuff looked bad in SD. It's just when the rest of the show looks so good, it just makes it stand out more.

Plus the first season is particularly cheap looking (2nd isn't that flash either). It's not until season 3 that the production values an the writing significantly improve. That said, every exterior shot of the ship still makes me smile.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I haven't seen much bitching about the Indiana Jones set post-release -- did people come around on the color timing, or was there a backlash?

I have the set and think it looks fine, but I also don't mind a warmer palette for something like Indiana Jones.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek TNG is definitely one of the most incredible restorations I've ever seen. The preexisting masters were very washed-out with a weird pinkish tint to them and the whole thing just screamed "VHS". Now they almost look like movies. '90s movies, but still. The color correction alone is a revelation. And the new CGI, where it was needed, is very respectful of the original effects.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

morestuff posted:

I haven't seen much bitching about the Indiana Jones set post-release -- did people come around on the color timing, or was there a backlash?

I have the set and think it looks fine, but I also don't mind a warmer palette for something like Indiana Jones.

I've compared the HDTV versions of Raiders and Temple with the Blu-rays, and the problem really only showed up on Raiders. But it's really obvious there and I prefer the HDTV color timing.

Trump fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 2, 2012

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Yeah, they had to recomposite everything which is obviously a huge task.

I believe the biggest changes are CGI models for planets and perhaps slightly better lighting of certain effects (in the TVIV thread, someone mentioned applied CGI lighting to the Enterprise during some scene).

Beyond that, season 1 looked fantastic and I'm expecting season 2 (December) to look just as good.

I've added Season 1 to items I'll start looking for on sale, it sounds amazing. I won't even mind the air bag Worf had on his head for the first couple of seasons :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner announced a bunch of classics for January 8th...
Mrs. Miniver
Driving Miss Daisy
Grand Hotel
The Jazz Singer

The Jazz Singer is basically the 3-disc set from 2007 with the first disc upgraded to Blu. The second disc is full of documentaries and the third is made up of 3 1/2 hours of restored Vitaphone shorts. An odd choice, but the transfer on the DVD was excellent in both video and audio.

It also looks like they're releasing at some point in 2013: Giant, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Around the World in 80 Days, and The Best Years of Our Lives.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner announced a bunch of classics for January 8th...
Mrs. Miniver
Driving Miss Daisy
Grand Hotel
The Jazz Singer

The Jazz Singer is basically the 3-disc set from 2007 with the first disc upgraded to Blu. The second disc is full of documentaries and the third is made up of 3 1/2 hours of restored Vitaphone shorts. An odd choice, but the transfer on the DVD was excellent in both video and audio.

It also looks like they're releasing at some point in 2013: Giant, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Around the World in 80 Days, and The Best Years of Our Lives.

They also announced these monstrosities:

quote:

The Best of Warner Bros. 100 Film DVD Collection
The Broadway Melody (1929)
Cimarron (1931)
The Public Enemy (1931)
Grand Hotel (1932)
42nd Street (1933)
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
A Night at the Opera (1935)
The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
The Life of Emile Zola (1937
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Dark Victory (1939)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Citizen Kane (1941)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Casablanca (1942)
Gaslight (1944)
Anchors Aweigh (1945)
Mildred Pierce (1945)
The Big Sleep (1946)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
A Streetcar Named Desire: The Original Director’s Version (1951)
An American in Paris (1951)
Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
A Star Is Born (1954)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
East of Eden (1955)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
The Searchers (1956)
Giant (1956)
Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
A Face in the Crowd (1957)
Gigi (1958)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
North by Northwest (1959)
Ben-Hur (1959)
How the West Was Won (1962)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
Viva Las Vegas (1964)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Bullitt (1968)
The Wild Bunch: The Original Director’s Cut (1969)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Dirty Harry (1971)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Cabaret (1972)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
The Exorcist: Extended Director’s Cut (1973)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
All the President’s Men (1976)
Superman: The Movie (1978)
The Shining (1980)
Caddyshack (1980)
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
The Outsiders (1983)
National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
Risky Business (1983)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Amadeus: Director’s Cut (1984)
The Goonies (1985)
The Color Purple (1985)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Batman™ (1989)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
GoodFellas (1990)
Unforgiven (1992)
The Bodyguard (1992)
The Fugitive (1993)
Natural Born Killers: The Director’s Cut (1994)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
Seven (1995)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
The Matrix (1999)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone™ (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring™ (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers™ (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King™ (2003)
The Notebook (2004)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
The Departed (2006)
300 (2007)
The Dark Knight™ (2008)
The Hangover (2009)
The Blind Side (2009)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Inception (2010)

Documentaries: Tales from the Warner Bros. Lot, Warner Bros. Lot Tour (2013)

Best of Warner Bros. 50 Film Blu-ray™ Collection

Grand Hotel (1932)
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Casablanca (1942)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
A Streetcar Named Desire: The Original Restored Version (1951)
An American in Paris (1951)
Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
Gigi (1958)
North by Northwest (1959)
Ben-Hur (1959)
How the West Was Won (1962)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Bullitt (1968)
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Dirty Harry (1971)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
The Exorcist: Extended Director’s Cut (1973)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Superman: The Movie (1978)
The Shining (1980)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
Risky Business (1983)
Amadeus: Director’s Cut (1984)
The Color Purple (1985)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
GoodFellas (1990)
Unforgiven (1992)
The Bodyguard (1992)
Natural Born Killers: The Director’s Cut (1994)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Matrix (1999)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone™ (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring™ (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ™ (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King™ (2003)
The Departed (2006)
The Dark Knight™ (2008)
The Hangover (2009)
The Blind Side (2009)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Inception (2010)

Documentaries: Tales from the Warner Bros. Lot, Warner Bros. Lot Tour (2013)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

35 of those movies were originally from other studios. Warner owns nearly every surviving film produced or released by them except for some John Wayne productions and Rope. I'd rather have Yankee Doodle Dandy (which is an amazing WB film) than the creaky Grand Hotel.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow--at first I wanted to hate on that 100 DVD collection's modern films, but on the whole they're really solid choices. There are too many good collections coming out for the holidays!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Amazon.co.uk have a 3 BD for GBP17 deal at the moment, for selected titles including Region Free ones.

Just remember if you want to buy TV show sets there and you are from the US, you need a player that can output in 50Hz (or play them on a computer), even if they are Region Free.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

The MSJ posted:

Just remember if you want to buy TV show sets there and you are from the US, you need a player that can output in 50Hz (or play them on a computer), even if they are Region Free.

This isn't true. Maybe for some BBC made shows but most stuff is film speed. I've purchased most of my TV BR from the UK, such as:

Band of Brothers
Terminator SCC
Madmen 1-4
Spartacus GotA

Ingram fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 4, 2012

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The MSJ posted:

At least all North-American made TV shows on Blu-ray are released at their original speed and format also in Europe. The current Blu-ray specification doesn't even allow 1080/25p, only 1080/25i (or 720/25p), and I just don't see what sense converting the content to a different speed would make anyway as long as it's not for TV broadcast. Things were of course altogether different with DVDs.

I haven't really bought or rented any European-made TV series on Blu-ray so I don't know whether that's a different story.

Zat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 4, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, the region-free blurays of American shows play fine. A lot of the BBC stuff however is encoded as PAL even on their bluray versions, which is infuriating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I've often wondered about that. Like, I get that the UK boxset of the Alien Anthology would "play fine" in an American player. But I was never sure if that meant "it plays fine, but still outputs at 25p" or "no you idiot it plays at 24p". Seems like it is the latter. But if you had a Blu-ray UK import of, say, Planet Earth...would that then output at 25p? Not sure why you would when there is a perfectly fine US release, but just thinking hypothetically.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I've been going through the Universal Monsters blu ray box set and it is just fantastic. The restoration of Dracula is just astounding, especially the work they did on the soundtrack. I never noticed before how some scenes in that film actually are filled with interesting sound design instead of this all-consuming hiss. Plus, that tantalising 3-D restoration of Creature From the Black Lagoon is making me wish I had a 3-D TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon's Deal Of The Day is:

$24.41 - Seven Samurai http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KGBISY...6MB502TDYXF9JDX
$35.49 - The Samurai Trilogy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N5YJZM...RF42WDWVMDV9BEN

Professor Clumsy posted:

I've been going through the Universal Monsters blu ray box set and it is just fantastic. The restoration of Dracula is just astounding, especially the work they did on the soundtrack. I never noticed before how some scenes in that film actually are filled with interesting sound design instead of this all-consuming hiss. Plus, that tantalising 3-D restoration of Creature From the Black Lagoon is making me wish I had a 3-D TV.

I only scanned Spanish Dracula and I was wowed by how good it looked. Can't wait to dive in further.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 4, 2012

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Doctor Who blu-rays are 1080i50 (actually 25p)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Professor Clumsy posted:

I'm getting so loving excited for this, but mine's coming from Amazon.co.uk so it'll probably be forever before I get it. The screenshots I've seen from all of the movies have been amazing so far.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The Dark Knight Trilogy looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B008JARIIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349437400&sr=8-1.

I have seen some talk about another 'ultimate boxset' coming out early next year. Does anyone know about this?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

henpod posted:

The Dark Knight Trilogy looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B008JARIIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349437400&sr=8-1.

I have seen some talk about another 'ultimate boxset' coming out early next year. Does anyone know about this?

I don't think there are any details yet. The only thing regarding it was a line in the promotional flier that said a trilogy collector's edition would be released in 2013.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has there been any talk about whether or not Best Buy will have a steelbook for TDKR that matches the ones they have for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? If there isn't one on release, I don't know if I'll be able to take it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RichterIX posted:

Has there been any talk about whether or not Best Buy will have a steelbook for TDKR that matches the ones they have for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? If there isn't one on release, I don't know if I'll be able to take it.

And will they have more than two copies per store?

Still loving pissed about Jaws.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

RichterIX posted:

There's a steelbook or metalpack or whatever they're called now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Warner releases coming in 2013:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hobbit-Extended-Edition-Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-rays-Coming-2013-33365.html

Highlights include Cabaret, The Big Parade (finally!), Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Giant House of Wax (3-D), The Right Stuff, the Mad Max trilogy, and a new Enter the Dragon.

They also have retreads of the Nolan Batman trilogy, Ocean's 11 trilogy, A Christmas Story, and several box sets of already released films.

They also have a theatrical and Blu release of The Wizard of Oz converted to 3-D coming for the 75th anniversary...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

...a new Enter the Dragon.

Thank Christ. I hope this one is actually worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

They also have a theatrical and Blu release of The Wizard of Oz converted to 3-D coming for the 75th anniversary...

Ew. This just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. First off, I'm not the biggest fan of 3-D to begin with, but even more so, conversions just look horrible.

It's a 75-year-old film. Why do they even need to do a 3-D conversion? It wasn't shot for 3-D, so it's not like it's going to do any good.

• Locked thread