Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The map has two E3s and no E5. Not that it matters greatly at this point. Based on the arrangement of the other star, it's probably safe to assume E5 is in 2050.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

The map has two E3s and no E5. Not that it matters greatly at this point. Based on the arrangement of the other star, it's probably safe to assume E5 is in 2050.

Whoops. Yeah, that is the case.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Holy poo poo I just caught up on the end of the last mission. From PTNs pre-update babble I was certain both sides had annihilated one another, leaving just the trucks and salamanders on the field.

Jesus christ. DON'T. CHANGE. THOSE. DICE.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Orders sent.

I have to admit I'm not terribly used to being in something this light (I usually play in something that's 55+ tons), but I can manage. I've never used a Vindicator before, but a quick glance shows that it seems that it works best at exactly 6 hexes from the target. I do want to get rid of the ammo ASAP, so don't be surprised if I fire the LRM's on 10's or so; I consider it a liability in something this frail and I'd rather it all explode downrange rather than in the mech. Also I consider the LRM5 to be a worthless weapon, so any damage I deal with it I consider a bonus anyways.

Anybody more used to the Vindicator that can give me a bit of advice?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Rorac posted:

Orders sent.

I have to admit I'm not terribly used to being in something this light (I usually play in something that's 55+ tons), but I can manage. I've never used a Vindicator before, but a quick glance shows that it seems that it works best at exactly 6 hexes from the target. I do want to get rid of the ammo ASAP, so don't be surprised if I fire the LRM's on 10's or so; I consider it a liability in something this frail and I'd rather it all explode downrange rather than in the mech. Also I consider the LRM5 to be a worthless weapon, so any damage I deal with it I consider a bonus anyways.

Anybody more used to the Vindicator that can give me a bit of advice?

Your jump jets are going to be really helpful in getting around on this map, since you're otherwise pretty pokey for a 45-tonner. Literally all enemy 'Mechs except the Rifleman are faster than you on flat ground, but you can bounce over rough terrain whereas not all of them have that advantage. Not the greatest of advantages, but something to keep in mind. Try to end your turns in woods behind partial cover if at all possible, another thing your jump jets should make easier.

Also, unlike the Hussar, you will not be instantly destroyed by center torso hits with ER PPCs! (Fun fact: hit the Hussar in the right torso with a Gauss rifle or ER PPC and it takes a point of internal damage to the center torso. Run like the wind, little guy!)

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Orders sent!

So my entire Battletech knowledge comprises of this thread and like three Megamek matches. How does one pilot a Banshee well?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SageNytell posted:

Orders sent!

So my entire Battletech knowledge comprises of this thread and like three Megamek matches. How does one pilot a Banshee well?

Listen to Fraction, Seriously Fraction is a wise and benevolent mechwarrior.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SageNytell posted:

Orders sent!

Always fire ultra mode :black101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

You have fists and no guns in your arms to interfere with you punching things. Now forget they exist and kick the enemy in the shins.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You have fists and no guns in your arms to interfere with you punching things. Now forget they exist and kick the enemy in the shins.

Kicking in the shins is more accurate for some reason... and does the same damage as both punches connecting :eng101:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Kicking in the shins is more accurate for some reason... and does the same damage as both punches connecting :eng101:

However, punching has a much better chance of scoring a head hit, and with two punches, if both hit, it's something like a 1/3 chance of a head hit, whereas kicks only hit the legs. Something to keep in mind.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I totally wanted to kick the Bowman so we could take him intact but he sorta exploded instead before I could sweep the leg.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Orders in. I'm on the march.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoeless posted:

However, punching has a much better chance of scoring a head hit, and with two punches, if both hit, it's something like a 1/3 chance of a head hit, whereas kicks only hit the legs. Something to keep in mind.

However, legs are really easy to hit in general and PTN considers them to be a mission kill. Even with punches, head hits are rare enough that you can't really count on getting a second one.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
It certainly would be nice if the dice allow for at least 1 of the Clan tech LPLs to be salvageable.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Orders sent. No drama this turn in terms of decisions, really.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I sent my orders too!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

landcollector posted:

It certainly would be nice if the dice allow for at least 1 of the Clan tech LPLs to be salvageable.

Did I mention how glad I am that we chose to fight in a hilly, forested area? Because I am.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

landcollector posted:

There are so many cLPLs on the field that, assuming there's any chance for salvage*, you should have plenty.

*There isn't. You're all dead. And not in the metaphorical, dishonored sense, but in a very pragmatic, bits and pieces against a giant clan windshield sense.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

With the whole "likely to split up" thing and all the trees everywhere, there's a decent chance we'll be able to gang up on clanners and tear them apart without a lot of intervention from the rest of them. It'll be tricky to pull off but we outnumber and outweigh them and some good old fashioned kick circles will greatly equalize this fight.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders also sent.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
My orders are in :flame:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

*There isn't. You're all dead. And not in the metaphorical, dishonored sense, but in a very pragmatic, bits and pieces against a giant clan windshield sense.

Hell with that. If we stick to the trees, stick together, and use cover effectively we'll be fine. cLPLs are powerful, but not overwhelming.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

With the whole "likely to split up" thing and all the trees everywhere, there's a decent chance we'll be able to gang up on clanners and tear them apart without a lot of intervention from the rest of them. It'll be tricky to pull off but we outnumber and outweigh them and some good old fashioned kick circles will greatly equalize this fight.

This is what we have to hope for. If that doesn't work then Operation: Hussar GTFO may very likely succeed, though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hell with that. If we stick to the trees, stick together, and use cover effectively we'll be fine. cLPLs are powerful, but not overwhelming.

The RiflemanIIC literally fires 4 IS PPCs with +1 to hit, no minimum range, and a larger range bracket at will (except when it's hot, when it fires 3 for one round).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

The RiflemanIIC literally fires 4 IS PPCs with +1 to hit, no minimum range, and a larger range bracket at will (except when it's hot, when it fires 3 for one round).

I'm not particularly worried. This will be a difficult scenario, but not unbeatable.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Sure. On the other hand, the map makes it so if the RFL is shooting at us, a lot of other things aren't. If it's the RFL and 1-2 other units versus a 14-mech blob it will go differently. That's the point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

Sure. On the other hand, the map makes it so if the RFL is shooting at us, a lot of other things aren't. If it's the RFL and 1-2 other units versus a 14-mech blob it will go differently. That's the point.

Pay attention to this man, he probably has the most tabletop experience of anyone in this thread.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Still not entirely happy with the fact that Piet is driving a mech, doubly so since it happens to be the Banshee IIC. Oh well, the goon mind decided, so it is to be so. Thought we should've gone with a Death Commando pilot instead, like sticking with Ho He, but I guess having them rest up and be fresh for the final mission in this campaign makes sense as well.

Looking at the enemy composition, given my admittedly small experience with Battletech, it looks like the Star Captain's machine is horribly undergunned. Is there something I'm missing here?

On the other hand, the Rifleman IIC and the Dire Wolf look pretty dangerous here. I don't know which enemy mechs are sporting Pulse Lasers, but it stands to reason that quite a number of them are. 2 Stars versus an overstrength GoonCompany? I dunno about this one...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Still not entirely happy with the fact that Piet is driving a mech, doubly so since it happens to be the Banshee IIC. Oh well, the goon mind decided, so it is to be so. Thought we should've gone with a Death Commando pilot instead, like sticking with Ho He, but I guess having them rest up and be fresh for the final mission in this campaign makes sense as well.

Looking at the enemy composition, given my admittedly small experience with Battletech, it looks like the Star Captain's machine is horribly undergunned. Is there something I'm missing here?

On the other hand, the Rifleman IIC and the Dire Wolf look pretty dangerous here. I don't know which enemy mechs are sporting Pulse Lasers, but it stands to reason that quite a number of them are. 2 Stars versus an overstrength GoonCompany? I dunno about this one...

I think you're mistaken. I see no Varangians in the binary's mech roster. Were you thinking about the Wolf Spider?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

By the way, I just want to be on record as saying how hilarious it is that I finally get called up for a scenario and it's as a Capellan. drat good thing we're fighting the clans and I can justify it for the greater good. :)

Of course I'm sure Andrevian is pleased as hell.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Very much so. I'm so happy I've even gotten over my super duper hate against clantech in general. As a 6/9/6 with cMPLs, on this map I am indistinguishable from Satan himself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

Pay attention to this man, he probably has the most tabletop experience of anyone in this thread.

That just means he's leveled up his Stockholm Syndrome.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Also Ghoststalker, I've mocked what the Sohei might be carrying:

2 LPLs
1 ERSL
MASC (meaning its movement is 5/8[10]/5)
Targeting Computer
16 DHS
13 tons FF armor

True, it's light on the guns, but this Sohei isn't a brawler. It's a hyper accurate sniper mech.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Andrevian posted:

Very much so. I'm so happy I've even gotten over my super duper hate against clantech in general. As a 6/9/6 with cMPLs, on this map I am indistinguishable from Satan himself.

If 6/9/6 makes you Satan, what does 7/11/7 make you?

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
7/11/7 and 8/12/8 are the purest manifestations of God's hate.

Things that can jump for 10 are things that are beyond that. Things beyond hate. Beyond fear. They turn the mind, eyes and heart from the poor sinner foolish enough to gaze directly upon them. There are but two hopes when facing such manifestations of primordial malice.

1. That it isn't carrying pulse.

2. That it is not in a c3 network.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Andrevian posted:

Things that can jump for 10 are things that are beyond that. Things beyond hate. Beyond fear. They turn the mind, eyes and heart from the poor sinner foolish enough to gaze directly upon them. There are but two hopes when facing such manifestations of primordial malice.

So, uh, what would you say of a mech that moves 8/12/8 with 2 cMPLs, an SRM-6, an ERSL, TC, and C3(Slave)?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Andrevian posted:

Luckily the only canon 10 jumpers are armed with maybe a pair of IS mlas.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Andrevian posted:

Nope. That's what I'm driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

landcollector posted:

So, uh, what would you say of a mech that moves 8/12/8 with 2 cMPLs, an SRM-6, an ERSL, TC, and C3(Slave)?

I would say "it could be worse, you could have a Machina Domini flying that motherfucker."

Because at this point that's all you can do. You have to cling to the knowledge that it could be even worse as that is the only comfort you will have.

• Locked thread