Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like it would've made more impact if it came between seasons 1 and 2 of the show.

Are we talking about Fire Walk With Me? (Which is a much better movie than people make it out to be but it made Laura Palmer far less enigmatic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is Hell On Wheels really bad. I keep seeing commercials for the latest season and it's always popping up on streaming for me. Should I give out a go?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Slackerish posted:

Are we talking about Fire Walk With Me? (Which is a much better movie than people make it out to be but it made Laura Palmer far less enigmatic).
Is there some stupid licensing reason why that movie is on Amazon Prime but not Netflix?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

david_a posted:

Is there some stupid licensing reason why that movie is on Amazon Prime but not Netflix?

Amazon and Netflix seem to cut a lot of the same deals but get stuff up at different times. So if it's on Prime chances are it'll be on Netflix within a few months.

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys

SouthLAnd posted:

Is Hell On Wheels really bad. I keep seeing commercials for the latest season and it's always popping up on streaming for me. Should I give out a go?

I got hooked on it pretty straight away. Its done fairly well, straight forward plot, and common nails it. Also apparently historically accurate.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: wrong thread.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

Got some pretty good characters, the plot is kinda meandering though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SouthLAnd posted:

It's not that it's bad but that it moves at a snail's pace.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

I loved it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SouthLAnd posted:

It's not "really bad," it's just really not any good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glug_Glug posted:

Is it any good? I watched the first season, thought it was okay but the Pilot was clearly the best part. I'm guessing it doesn't get as good as that, but still watchable?

I've only seen the first season and the first episode of season two, but things aren't looking good. The episode description claims they meet a threat unlike any they've seen before, but that "threat" is a moving herd of zombies. Which was already covered and discussed at the end of season one. It doesn't have anything as stupid as a character dropping the n-word or the women talking about their vibrators, but they do include a scene that's only there to show off how good GERBER'S APOCALYPSE KNIVES are at cutting up former humans.

Compare with this picture:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've only seen the first season and the first episode of season two, but things aren't looking good. The episode description claims they meet a threat unlike any they've seen before, but that "threat" is a moving herd of zombies. Which was already covered and discussed at the end of season one. It doesn't have anything as stupid as a character dropping the n-word or the women talking about their vibrators, but they do include a scene that's only there to show off how good GERBER'S APOCALYPSE KNIVES are at cutting up former humans.

Compare with this picture:

Truth be told, that is an excellent knife set. :colbert:

When I saw that scene I was actually wondering if the Gerber pr guys knew what was actually going to happen with their knives on the show.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gerber blades are pretty crappy, especially the gimmicky stuff like that. That said, season 2 of TWD gets really good. If you liked the first, give it a watch.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
My problem with Hell on Wheels is that I can't watch a TV Western without comparing it to Deadwood.

Hell on Wheels fares miserably in that comparison.

Go into it without any expectations and you should enjoy it enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The zombie herds get bigger as the show moves forward. Product placement doesn't bother me, they have to pay for the show somehow and if the Gerber ad means they get a bigger zombie budget then so be it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

When I saw that scene I was actually wondering if the Gerber pr guys knew what was actually going to happen with their knives on the show.

It's called the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit so yeah, I imagine they did.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My problem with Hell on Wheels is that I can't watch a TV Western without comparing it to Deadwood.

Hell on Wheels fares miserably in that comparison.

Go into it without any expectations and you should enjoy it enough.

I started watching HoW last week on my iphone while commuting on the train and am at ep 4. I like it and will watch out at least the 1st season, but can also agree with the reviewer comments regarding massive plot holes and Lost-like "WHY THE gently caress don't you tell people what the gently caress you want", poo poo. I can't compare any of Durant's speeches to anyone (although he's trying) on DW, especially AL.....DW was so loving dense it's a futile effort to compare anything to it, really. Also, not getting the slams on Common, he seems to be doing a decent enough job. I don't own any of his music or know anything about it though, so maybe people hate him because of that.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Hell on Wheels is like western Treme without any of Treme's humor or emotional hooks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So how much jazz music is there?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So I was trying to see all the horror movies that Netflix has for Halloween, and I find the interface to be a tad frustrating in terms of showing the entire catalogue.

Is there a site that has all of Netflix's movies listed in text?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

wormil posted:

The zombie herds get bigger as the show moves forward. Product placement doesn't bother me, they have to pay for the show somehow and if the Gerber ad means they get a bigger zombie budget then so be it.

I don't care about the product placement but it's insane to me that that's a real thing. An "Apocalypse Kit," I bet tons of dudes hoarding gold and talking about Ron Paul bought that poo poo up.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

E the Shaggy posted:

So I was trying to see all the horror movies that Netflix has for Halloween, and I find the interface to be a tad frustrating in terms of showing the entire catalogue.

Is this any help?

http://movies.netflix.com/WiAltGenre?vt=tl&agid=8711&fdvd=true

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

You want this: http://instantwatcher.com/genres/548

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

ZackHoagie posted:

Hell on Wheels is like western Treme without any of Treme's humor or emotional hooks.

Treme is one of my favorite shows running today, so that's kind of a big thing to say.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Holy poo poo, the first entry on there (alphabetical order) - 1313: Cougar House:

quote:

Rufus, Darwin and Coopersmith are three nerdy but hunky young college guys who score the summer job of their dreams working at a swanky mansion ... only to discover they've landed in a nightmare.

Rufus, Darwin and Coopersmith?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure all the 1313 movies are on Streaming. Watching one is a treat, watching more than one becomes a punishment very quickly.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Theres a few random James Bond movies up again, not sure what the logic is for the ones they picked though. Moonraker? The Man with the Golden Gun? :stonk:

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

maxnmona posted:

Treme is one of my favorite shows running today, so that's kind of a big thing to say.

Sorry, let me put it another way: Hell on Wheels is Treme if Treme was written by people who should not be allowed to write.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Drewsky posted:

I don't care about the product placement but it's insane to me that that's a real thing. An "Apocalypse Kit," I bet tons of dudes hoarding gold and talking about Ron Paul bought that poo poo up.

I'd wager it's mostly nerdy guys who are way into zombies.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Theres a few random James Bond movies up again, not sure what the logic is for the ones they picked though. Moonraker? The Man with the Golden Gun? :stonk:

They've got The Living Daylights. The best Bond in the best Bond movie :smugbert:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ZackHoagie posted:

Sorry, let me put it another way: Hell on Wheels is Treme if Treme was written by people who should not be allowed to write.

Hell on Wheels has a few good performances such as Common and Colm Meaney. The stories suck though. It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Treme.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Internet Gentleman posted:

They've got The Living Daylights. The best Bond in the best Bond movie :smugbert:

It's a great introduction to the series for sure. It was mine!

Theme song also shows A-Ha were at least a two-hit wonder in the US.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Internet Gentleman posted:

They've got On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The best Bond in the best Bond movie :smugbert:

I couldn't agree more.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Holy poo poo, the first entry on there (alphabetical order) - 1313: Cougar House:

Rufus, Darwin and Coopersmith?!

Welcome to the world of David DeCoteau.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've been a huge Terriers fan for a while, but I showed the pilot to my girlfriend to see how she'd like it this weekend.
Within 24 hours we had watched 9 of thirteen episodes. It's amazing. Watch that poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Terriers is one of the worst shows you can stream on Netflix because you will be hit with a crushing sadness when you get to the end and realize that there will be no more of it because it was too beautiful to live. Interestingly enough we sort of know why it was canceled and it was for predictably depressing reasons:

quote:

Based on what these people saw in those two episodes, the FX-centric viewer just rated it lower in areas such as intensity, suspense, sexiness. When you talk to the USA-type viewer, they rate it lower than their favorite shows because it’s not a land in which every babe is hot, and the sky is incredibly blue, and everybody lives in an apartment three times as big as they could legitimately afford, and everything comes out great in the end. What we ended up with—and this is a much more nuanced and complicated answer—was a show that somehow fell between two brands.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
A whole helluva lot of good stuff got added recently!

Amadeus - Fantastic biopic about Mozart.
A Bronx Story - Crime drama set in 1960s Bronx directed by De Niro himself.
Best In Show - (This has been up and down a lot on Instant, but it's hilarious so you gotta watch it whenever you get the chance.)
Bringing Out The Dead - One of Martin Scorsese's more under-appreciated film, it's about an ambulance driver in New York City. Set over 72 hours, it's got a tone that really drives home the characters profound exhaustion.
Equilibrium - A scifi dystopian flick about a world that has banned emotions. Not the greatest movie ever made, but it does have very imaginative fight scenes featuring a new "martial art" called "Gunkata".
Slither - A very fun comedy-horror movie about a bunch of alien slugs that try to take over a small town in South Carolina. Starring Nathan Fillion, Michael Rooker, and piles of good ole fashioned gore.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

"" posted:

When you talk to the USA-type viewer, they rate it lower than their favorite shows because it’s not a land in which every babe is hot, and the sky is incredibly blue, and everybody lives in an apartment three times as big as they could legitimately afford, and everything comes out great in the end.

That's utter bullshit though. There are plenty of successful shows that don't have that, Justified, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead. Terriers was cancelled because it was boring as gently caress, a show about nothing where nothing happened. It had all the makings of a terrific show except a plot and story.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Welcome to the world of David DeCoteau.

Holy poo poo. (from his Wiki page)

2011 1313: Actor Slash Model
2011 1313: Boy Crazies
2011 1313: Haunted Frat
2011 1313: Nightmare Mansion
2011 1313: Giant Killer Bees
2011 Christmas Spirit TV movie
2012 1313: Cougar Cult Found on Netflix
2012 1313: Bigfoot Island Found on Netflix
2012 Snow White: A Deadly Summer
2012 1313: UFO Invasion Found on Netflix
2012 1313: Bermuda Triangle Found on Netflix
2012 1313: Billy the Kid Found on Netflix
2012 1313: Hercules Unbound! Found on Netflix
2012 1313: Night of the Widow post-production
2012 1313: Frankenqueen post-production

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the recommendation of Klown. This is the most awesomely hosed up comedy I've ever seen. Every possible horrible thing you hope won't happen, happens about five seconds later.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away
Has anyone else noticed that instantwatcher seems to have stopped noticing new TV shows? The "new" section doesnt list Freaks & Geeks, or the new series of the Office - or am I just looking in the wrong place?

• Locked thread