Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Great feedback! It was definitely hot (95 or so). I'll see what I can do about the sweat. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trying a bit of high-key studio shooting

GPJK1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GPJK2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alkanphel posted:

Trying a bit of high-key studio shooting

GPJK1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GPJK2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

These are good :) I really like her expressions. The blue makeup is a weeee bit distracting, but it's not bad or anything, just a preference.

I was setting up a photo booth for a company mixer and I took these. I'm really happy with them. :)

amy2 by francography, on Flickr

amy1 by francography, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

These are good :) I really like her expressions. The blue makeup is a weeee bit distracting, but it's not bad or anything, just a preference.

I was setting up a photo booth for a company mixer and I took these. I'm really happy with them. :)

Thanks! I love what you've shot also, but I prefer the 2nd one to the 1st one because the negative space in the 1st one just feels overwhelming.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ashley by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress off with your gorgeous ocean and lovely sunlight :(

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I do feel like the sand is a little too blown out though, like clean it up completely, or give it more definition. The water/waterline background right behind her head is really nice and brings the attention right to her face, which is also a great expression.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Paragon8 posted:

gently caress off with your gorgeous ocean and lovely sunlight :(

Sorry :(

It was uncomfortably hot today, if that helps.

nonanone posted:

I do feel like the sand is a little too blown out though, like clean it up completely, or give it more definition. The water/waterline background right behind her head is really nice and brings the attention right to her face, which is also a great expression.

Thanks! Yeah, the sand is blown out, but I'm okay with it. I exposed for her skin and was able to bring back some detail in the sky and water. The sand...meh.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

somnambulist posted:

Can I ask why you put the umbrella in an angle? I usually try to have it facing when working in a one light photobooth environment to avoid the shadow.

As for me here's what I've been up to :) Fall has the best light.

IMG_7675-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7590 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_7555-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

-- And a random shot of the MUA that's been working with me for the past 3 months. She helps a lot :)

IMG_7427 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 2, 2012

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Couple of quick shots i did last week but havent had time retouch until now.

3-07 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

4-10 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I did some actor's headshots for a friend of mine. The rest are fairly boring (to me) GAP ad style and corny, because I prefer working with much more serious looks and moodier lighting. I can't decide if I need a third light to blast the background to white, or if I should go with a black background.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Control your shadows, friend!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, I think if you had a reflector on the right to bring up the shadows just a touch, you could get that dramatic split lighting look without almost blowing out the left.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I had my lights set up in my garage that isnt painted yet, and the wall is distracting :( Oh well, it's still a fun picture. She's so cute!

clara lee by francography, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

OJ.SImpson posted:

Couple of quick shots i did last week but havent had time retouch until now.

3-07 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

4-10 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

I'm having trouble seeing her chin in the first shot. The lack of a defining contrast or line there makes her look a bit odd.

A couple recent ones from me. As usual, dancing in the gray area between snapshot and shoot.

ms tamayo by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

ms russo in the studio by thetzar, on Flickr

ms russo by thetzar, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I apologise in advance for the low effort post, but I've been shooting all week all over London and I am now ready to go to bed on a Friday night at 10pm. I am a party machine.

Here, have a scary promo photo of a pro wrestler.

Click here for silly big silly detail then try and look away.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Gazmachine posted:

I apologise in advance for the low effort post, but I've been shooting all week all over London and I am now ready to go to bed on a Friday night at 10pm. I am a party machine.

Here, have a scary promo photo of a pro wrestler.

Click here for silly big silly detail then try and look away.

haha that's crazy! Nice lightning!

As for me... it's the season of family pictures and engagement sessions here in Canuck land :)

IMG_8807 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8562 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8695 by avoyer, on Flickr

and something that's been done/redone/done again on pinterest but still cute

IMG_8882 by avoyer, on Flickr

As a self critique I would say that my two mistakes I did was on the pictures with the dog I should have went less open (3.5 or something) and I have no idea why I didn't look at the aperture in the B/W one... idiot move.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I wasn't sure where to post this photo, so I guess i'll post it in the portrait thread. I had the opportunity to see the president speak in los angeles, and I really wanted the flag to take up most of the frame.

351B4158 by francography, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

somnambulist posted:

I wasn't sure where to post this photo, so I guess i'll post it in the portrait thread. I had the opportunity to see the president speak in los angeles, and I really wanted the flag to take up most of the frame.

I think the little flag is the only weakpoint, it just seems a bit too overexposed. not sure if you could burn it at all or crop it out?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I like this one but I think the shadows are a little cool, i'd go into the curves for the blue channel and bring a little bit to the orange.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

somnambulist posted:

Totally random but I'm digging that his head has a box formed around it by the prompter window.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Penpal posted:

I like this one but I think the shadows are a little cool, i'd go into the curves for the blue channel and bring a little bit to the orange.

This is a very good portrait :) engaging, yet simple.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've been out of it for a while but a couple recent shoots are helping me to get back into a shooting mindset again.

Mikey by Myotomy, on Flickr

Chris by Myotomy, on Flickr

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

Nothing fancy but at least I don't hate them with a passion. Some of the focus isn't even top notch but we didn't really care at the time and the imperfection grew on me a bit.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 11, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Clarity slider needs to go a liiiittle more to the left. i get the look you're going for but to me they're a bit overprocessed

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
For me it looks fine except for the eyes, where the post (possibly combined with Flickr's downsampling) is wigging me out.
That being said, full size doesn't look nearly as overbaked as the Flickr-resized ones make it seem.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

RangerScum posted:

I've been out of it for a while but a couple recent shoots are helping me to get back into a shooting mindset again.

Nothing fancy but at least I don't hate them with a passion. Some of the focus isn't even top notch but we didn't really care at the time and the imperfection grew on me a bit.

Money. All of 'em. Well done sir.

Recently contacted by a couple wanting to spruce up their modeling/promotional portfolios:

The shoot overall was really sloppy (no assistant, only an hour to work with, on-location with the studio lights, etc). Plus they picked their outfits/location. If I had known she was going to be dressed in leather, I would have told her not to meet me at a fricken' beach.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

RangerScum posted:

Very Martin Schoeller of you. Well done!
How much PP involved in getting that DOF effect? Can't tell me it's all in camera :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Cyberbob posted:

Very Martin Schoeller of you. Well done!
How much PP involved in getting that DOF effect? Can't tell me it's all in camera :)

Thanks! I used a 50mm f1.4 at 1.8 for the head shots, so all the DoF was done in camera. Now that I'm checking, the girl's is at 2.2, but whatever.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

sw1gger posted:

Money. All of 'em. Well done sir.

Recently contacted by a couple wanting to spruce up their modeling/promotional portfolios:

The shoot overall was really sloppy (no assistant, only an hour to work with, on-location with the studio lights, etc). Plus they picked their outfits/location. If I had known she was going to be dressed in leather, I would have told her not to meet me at a fricken' beach.

The second shot is pretty good! The subject is a little bit too much to the left for my liking but I'm being picky. I like the balanced lighting, the processing is at the limit of being 'over the line'. Good stuff.

RangerScum posted:

These two are my favourites, I just wish (as was already stated) that the clarity slider wasn't pushed all the way to the right. The lighting is great though - I like the overexposed look.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
After totally refusing flash photography for like my whole life, I finally went and got a speedlight - I got a BGN 580exII from KEH. I'm just starting out learning how to use it. For this picture, I had the flash laying on top of the TV to the left - wireless triggered by the built-in flash.

EDIT: yes, the vignetting is fake.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 13, 2012

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

0toShifty posted:

After totally refusing flash photography for like my whole life, I finally went and got a speedlight - I got a BGN 580exII from KEH. I'm just starting out learning how to use it. For this picture, I had the flash laying on top of the TV to the left - wireless triggered by the built-in flash.

EDIT: yes, the vignetting is fake.

How much exposure were you getting from your speedlight? Looks like you shot that wide open or close to it. There's something funny about your focus. It looks like her sweater on her shoulder is tack sharp, as well as her nose, but her eyes not so much. I can't tell if it's because of her glasses but they don't look sharp to me, and that's pretty much a requisite for this type of shot. Her mouth/teeth look a bit blurred as well.
I like how her eyes are filling out the tops of her glasses and it could be making for an interesting shot, but I think the background is a bit too busy and suffers from too many technical issues to make the cut.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Met up with a friend during lunch hour and snapped a photo of him.

Wei Li by alkanphel, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Did another shoot with the twins. They were the first "proper" shoot that I did, and that was this time last year.

Twins are hard :(

IMG_5817_sm by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_5804_sm by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

I understand what you were trying to accomplish in the second picture but it feels butched. First it totally miss the point of focusing on the texture of what you're putting between the model and the camera and second the window's division is right behind her head and the house in the background adds nothing.

I would suggest that you redo it with a different angle and maybe closer to her so that way the focus is on her and not on the surroundings.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ok, so I took you folks' advice to heart, here's the new version of that photo. It's not as bad with the crushed blacks as before, I hope.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

red19fire posted:

Ok, so I took you folks' advice to heart, here's the new version of that photo. It's not as bad with the crushed blacks as before, I hope.

I like it! That way you have much more information from what he's wearing and his face is well light as well. That's all post work? Looks nice.

As for me... it's fall family pictures time.

IMG_9196 by avoyer, on Flickr

615880_445462192171339_506194081_o by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 18, 2012

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I was using my girlfriend/lovely assistant as a stand-in while setting lighting for an engagement shoot I did this past weekend, and got this out of it.

the test shot by thetzar, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Why is that woman breaking a jar on her face, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Here are a few I did for my brother.. he wanted some beard themed photos.

_MG_4816 by bighoits, on Flickr

_MG_4853 by bighoits, on Flickr