Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I'm sure he's done the host script for HIGNFY as well (and News Quiz). I saw him & Nadia Kamal as Behemoth last year, definitely worth seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on Jimmy Saville being a paedo

quote:

I had a significant development when I identified a separate group of women who got to know Savile through visiting Top of The Pops - although you were meant to be 15 years old to attend.

Two of them agreed to speak to me on camera. Again they were still both very scared and frightened to talk even after all these years and this combined with their current circumstances, meant we needed to hide their identity.

Both women talked about meeting Savile when they were 15 years old. One described Savile as having had full sexual intercourse with her aged 15 years, and the other said he had sex with her when she was 16 years old but she never consented to this and she now considers it as rape. They both gave accounts of multiple sexual assaults, and that they both contracted a sexually transmitted disease from Savile.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Hows about that then.

e: he did always seem to have 2 armfuls of 14/15 year old chicks when he presented top of the pops didnt he

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 1, 2012

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Are they going to have Mike Yarwood as a stand in during the reenactment sequences?

"Roger Holt, 70, who worked for Polydor Records in the 1960s, claims Savile’s reputation for liking under-age girls was well known in the record industry and at the BBC.

He said: ‘It’s a shame Savile is dead because if he wasn’t they would arrest him now."

Get a spade and some handcuffs and make a citizens exhuming arrest.

Actually this whole http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210972/Jimmy-Savile-As-string-age-girls-say-star-abused-did-BBC-bosses-turn-blind-eye.html article is annoying me, because it's people who claim they knew yet did NOTHING and sat around waiting for someone else to arrest him (now covering their own arses) or people who are slandering a dead man based around the notion that he was a bit eccentric therefore he must have been a paedo yeah that explains it. Also it's got Coleen Nolan claiming someone putting her arm around her is intimate touching, when she routinely describes the intimate folds of her labia on daytime tv (probably, I don't watch Loose Women).

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 1, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

FreakyZoid posted:

John Luke Roberts is great - he does a brilliant bit with insult cards. He does a fair amount of writing for panel shows as well if I remember rightly.

Yeah, he did that bit when I saw him. Guess that just illustrates your earlier point :)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Unfunnily enough, Surrey Police, who failed to take action against him in 2007, also failed to take action in a number of other circumstances, including the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone, etc. It's almost as if they couldn't be arsed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Not saying Saville is innocent, but it's almost as if you can say what you want once someone is dead...

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Not saying Saville is innocent, but it's almost as if you can say what you want once someone is dead...
Right. I dont know either but if he was a loving rampant pedo wouldnt someone have said something? The dude was hosting a show on radio 1, hosting top of the pops, and various gameshows. Someone must have noticed.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Seaside Loafer posted:

Right. I dont know either but if he was a loving rampant pedo wouldnt someone have said something? The dude was hosting a show on radio 1, hosting top of the pops, and various gameshows. Someone must have noticed.

Well Esther Rantzen has just remembered about the giant conspiracy to keep silent on the matter. Really it's the stunning example you expect from the founder of Childline.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mickolution posted:

Because you can't sue and/or murder someone once you're dead.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Sorry but unfortunatly not.

There are countless examples of how people actually don't do something. Or do speak but let it drop when nothing is done.
See the Penn State College Football thing just this year. Or the repeated church abuse cases all over the world.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I dunno though, media personalities like that get massive exposure (far more than random priests, and maybe, I guess, more than a popular sports coach...), and you'd think that *some* random tabloid journalist would have smelt something off about him and went digging around. Then again what do I know.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Wasn't this more well known before? In this thread wasn't there an (albeit fake) transcript of a cut sequence from HIGNFY from the nineties where Paul Merton loving TORE into him? I just assumed it was a thing.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Wasn't this more well known before? In this thread wasn't there an (albeit fake) transcript of a cut sequence from HIGNFY from the nineties where Paul Merton loving TORE into him? I just assumed it was a thing.
This?

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rogerb/jokes/HIGNFY.txt

Is it fake then?

Testro
May 2, 2009
Yes it's fake.

The story has been ebbing and flowing as a rumour for many years.

The problem for a paper investigating it is that you've got a massive media personality with bags of cash, who does loads for charity and you're relying on the testimony of teenage girls (so they'll be deemed unreliable) to say that he's a rapist and a paedophile.

You've also got to bear in mind that Saville was famous in a different day and age to now, so you'll have the, "Teenage girls hanging around a celeb, they were gagging for it, they just changed their minds after!" mantra as well.

It's awful that if it did happen, they couldn't deal with it whilst he was alive...and if it didn't happen, it's awful that they're investigating it now that he's dead and can't defend himself.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Only a matter of time now before those awful songs he made will be altered with somebody dubstepping the word Paedo over the lyrics.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Giedroyc posted:

Also it's got Coleen Nolan claiming someone putting her arm around her is intimate touching, when she routinely describes the intimate folds of her labia on daytime tv (probably, I don't watch Loose Women).

Look at the video, that's definitely not an appropriate way to be touching a 14 year old. (from 3.30).

http://youtu.be/RKFrhW4-BmU?t=3m28s

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Interrupting paedo-chat for a sec, I'm just going to take this opportunity to recommend 'How Earth Made Us', which is on Sunday nights on BBC2. It's a really well-made documentary about how geography and geology has shaped human civilisation from ancient times until the present day. There's lots of gorgeous HD footage, and the presenter is obviously very enthusiastic about his subject matter.

I'm guessing it is being recorded by every single geography teacher in the country.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm guessing it is being recorded by every single geography teacher in the country.

Maybe, now that the Ryder Cup's over :downsrim:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

marktheando posted:

Look at the video, that's definitely not an appropriate way to be touching a 14 year old. (from 3.30).

http://youtu.be/RKFrhW4-BmU?t=3m28s

Are they slowing it down to make it look like he's groping her tits or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

Louie is completely unique in that it's someone's unfiltered thoughts coming through in half hour bursts each week. Sometimes it's funny, other times it plays it completely straight but it's purely Louis CK. It's brilliant television who's only real constraint is limited to when the creative force runs out of ideas. The 3-part episode this season was brilliant.

As well as having incredible writing, it looks absolutely wonderful too. It's such a well shot and edited show. When I saw the 'Coming soon...' compilation of BBC Dramas during the Olympics, it was show after show of identikit HDV-with-a-different-colour-preset stuff. Louie is done on a shoestring budget and really sets the bar as to what you can do with nothing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The pHo posted:

As well as having incredible writing, it looks absolutely wonderful too. It's such a well shot and edited show. When I saw the 'Coming soon...' compilation of BBC Dramas during the Olympics, it was show after show of identikit HDV-with-a-different-colour-preset stuff. Louie is done on a shoestring budget and really sets the bar as to what you can do with nothing.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but are you seriously suggesting HDV is used for filming BBC Dramas or were you taking the piss about the achieved look?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mainly taking the piss, although the BBC did used to have a fleet of Sony HDV cameras back a bunch of years ago during the transition.

The filtering looks terrible though, especially when you see the different shows side by side. I think using a solution like RED (which is what Louie uses) is far more aesthetically pleasing than Digi Beta, which is fine for stuff that's supposed to look 'real'... not so much for dramas. Just my opinion of course.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I don't think they ever used HDV for proper full scale productions though, surely? Just for self-shot news reports or reality stuff.

In terms of preferred formats, originally Digibeta and then -> HDCAM I thought it went... In fact all content delivered to the BBC has to be on HDCAM SR tapes right now.

Edit: This format nerdery reminds me of the Screenwipe episodes where he demonstrates Digibeta and DV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think they were just using them to see if they were good enough to replace the PD and DSRs with. I'm sure footage made the air (and certainly non-BBC productions did), but the white papers they produced weren't amazingly keen and they pretty much agreed the format wasn't good enough for real production. I still have my PD150, great little camera and built like a tank (useful, as I'm pretty clumsy).

I'm guessing you're right with regards to what they're using currently, it's amazing how quickly these things move in the grand scheme of things. At least anything that's shot now is relatively future proofed in comparison, it saddens me how amazing the 35mm shot US stuff from years back (Friends, Cheers, Seinfeld etc) looks now it's being remastered, but Black Adder and other video shot stuff is just going to age worse and worse as time goes on.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I am going to rewatch Brendan's twitch of despair and embarrassment when told that he might have problems getting his precision cut-crackers off the board.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I think I may be going a little gay for John on Bakeoff.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I've become very fond of Kathryn, who is apparently a timetraveller from the 1920's, going by the way she expresses despair. "Oh my giddy aunt!"

Also, they are basically making Tunnocks tea cakes tonight, which I find a bit pointless when you can buy 6 for a pound in any Scottish newsagent.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Irisi posted:

I've become very fond of Kathryn, who is apparently a timetraveller from the 1920's, going by the way she expresses despair. "Oh my giddy aunt!"

Also, they are basically making Tunnocks tea cakes tonight, which I find a bit pointless when you can buy 6 for a pound in any Scottish newsagent.

Don't forget "Oh lor" which I don't think has been uttered since Victoria was on the throne.
e: Sorry for your loss, Irisi

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 2, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Have been laughing near-constantly for the last ten minutes over the ridiculous gingerbread structures. And then just when I thought it couldn't get any more daft, Hipster James trots up to the judges with a shamefaced smile and a ruined barn house, complete with caramel cobwebs.

Also, will miss Kathryn. She was hilarious, switching between being all sassy at Hollywood and acting like a tragic Regency heroine who's misplaced her smelling salts.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

And now, Ian Hislop telling us to keep calm, and carry on. Nice evening of telly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I avoided this thread for a week because I missed a Bake Off and wanted to avoid spoilers, and it turned out I missed a session of spleen-venting about comedians? God drat it.
Also Victoria Collins said "vajazzle" yesterday, which should not have happened.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Cathryn going is a travesty, although I sort of expected it this week. She was amazing :(

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
She had to go, there's only so long she can swear at a PG level before she'd go nuts on camera and the challenges are only going to get worse. I fully expect the final to involve them needing to make a working cuckoo clock using only cheesecake and a pizza base.

This and last week have oddly had a few shots where there seems to be a whole load of people milling around inside while they are cracking on but then again there are obviously times where they can have oodles of time just waiting for the oven so I guess it would make sense their family etc would be allowed in?!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Fazana posted:

She had to go, there's only so long she can swear at a PG level before she'd go nuts on camera and the challenges are only going to get worse. I fully expect the final to involve them needing to make a working cuckoo clock using only cheesecake and a pizza base.

This and last week have oddly had a few shots where there seems to be a whole load of people milling around inside while they are cracking on but then again there are obviously times where they can have oodles of time just waiting for the oven so I guess it would make sense their family etc would be allowed in?!

BBC corruption! Helpers helping, etc(sure the Mail has something on that)

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

So I've noticed the BBC finally dumped CJ from the Eggheads, something that was several years overdue. They've however missed an opportunity by not kicking out that dour blobfish Chris with him.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

There are far too many jews on television these days. Friday Night Dinner, Strictly Kosher, that other one. It's like they're the new gays. I'm just waiting for one of the soaps to introduce the new Rosenblatt family to show everyone how normal and just like us this minority is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

sex pervert posted:

There are far too many jews on television these days. Friday Night Dinner, Strictly Kosher, that other one. It's like they're the new gays. I'm just waiting for one of the soaps to introduce the new Rosenblatt family to show everyone how normal and just like us this minority is.

Where is this copy/pasted from?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Quanta posted:

So I've noticed the BBC finally dumped CJ from the Eggheads, something that was several years overdue. They've however missed an opportunity by not kicking out that dour blobfish Chris with him.

CJ left to pursue a career in acting, believe it or not. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Where is this copy/pasted from?

My brain. David Schneider came on Channel 4 after The Simpsons to talk about how Jewish his mother is.