Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MJ12 posted:

I would say "it could be worse, you could have a Machina Domini flying that motherfucker."

Because at this point that's all you can do. You have to cling to the knowledge that it could be even worse as that is the only comfort you will have.

It could be powered by suffering and crushed souls. Then it would just get stronger as the game went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

MJ12 posted:

I would say "it could be worse, you could have a Machina Domini flying that motherfucker."

Because at this point that's all you can do. You have to cling to the knowledge that it could be even worse as that is the only comfort you will have.

Pretty much this. Or you hope that the guy you're playing thinks it's smart to walk it into a stupid situation, then you shoot its leg off.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

There is a weakness to jumps 7 or jumps 10. Artillery, Artillery gives no fucks what your move mod is, if you are in the trees or whatever. truly a blessing of the chancellor.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How dangerous are LAMs with bomb bays anyways? They seem like a waste of space and weight.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

-Troika- posted:

LAMs... They seem like a waste of space and weight.

Yes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

landcollector posted:

I think you're mistaken. I see no Varangians in the binary's mech roster. Were you thinking about the Wolf Spider?

Sorry, meant Timber Wolf. Got the designations of the two mixed up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Say that again when one flies around kicking everything in the head. EVERYTHING. :colbert:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Phoenix Hawk LAM moves 15/27 as a WiGE in Airmech mode. 15/27 with the ability to both use cover and negotiate obstacles via flight. Sure, it's affected by flak like a WiGE or VTOL, but when you compare it to anything else that moves 15/27, it comes out pretty drat nicely.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Poor clanners, stuck in the clutches of Liao and forced to fight for them :smith:

Don't worry, I'm sure some other enterprising clan will come along to save you! Or eat you.

Edit: vvvv There's nothing like suddenly turning on your Liao paymasters and making a dash for mercenary-hood.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 2, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

evilmiera posted:

Poor clanners, stuck in the clutches of Liao and forced to fight for them :smith:

Don't worry, I'm sure some other enterprising clan will come along to save you! Or eat you.

Much like their new owners, they're already dead. They might as well go down fighting for the glory of the Confederation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As FWL fan No. 18 out of 46, the idea of a House Liao with a huge headstart on reverse-engineering Clantech is both terrifying and kind of awesome.

Here's hoping they stay focused on poor, poor House Hasek for a while.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

T.G. Xarbala posted:

As FWL fan No. 18 out of 46, the idea of a House Liao with a huge headstart on reverse-engineering Clantech is both terrifying and kind of awesome.

Here's hoping they stay focused on poor, poor House Hasek for a while.

Well, it's rather unlikely that the other houses, the ones that the clans are currently actively loving up, will not have any clan-salvage at hand.

Edit: There are some high-quality wrecks on Luthien, for example.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tarquinn posted:

Well, it's rather unlikely that the other houses, the ones that the clans are currently actively loving up, will not have any clan-salvage at hand.

Edit: There are some high-quality wrecks on Luthien, for example.

Good luck taking Luthien back. Clan Awesome Horses led by Grier Siedman will turn that place into a Tukkayyid for the IS.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It is quite likely that the LC and DS are currently playing with their own salvaged clantech. This op is just to make sure the CC doesn't fall behind everyone like they did in canon. Now it remains to be seen if the FWL can get a slice of the pie.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

KnoxZone posted:

It is quite likely that the LC and DS are currently playing with their own salvaged clantech. This op is just to make sure the CC doesn't fall behind everyone like they did in canon. Now it remains to be seen if the FWL can get a slice of the pie.

Assuming that the goons actually win. They're gambling all the captured mechs they have in the current op, I think. Given the opposition, it's entirely possible that all the Commandos are going to bring back are those aerofighters.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
"Immediately useful on the battlefield," and "useful for scientific/engineering study" are different sorts of salvage.

Whether the Commandos will be permitted to leave the system is a different question, I suppose, and one I imagine will be covered in story.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MJ12 posted:

The Phoenix Hawk LAM moves 15/27 as a WiGE in Airmech mode. 15/27 with the ability to both use cover and negotiate obstacles via flight. Sure, it's affected by flak like a WiGE or VTOL, but when you compare it to anything else that moves 15/27, it comes out pretty drat nicely.

In addition anything targeting a LAM in Airmech mode has a penalty of 4 to hit it unless it has specialized AA gear.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KnoxZone posted:

:tinfoil: FWL is getting WOB tech, clan tech would just be icing at this point.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, the Capellans are going to be in for a shock when they run into Marik Bobcat clones. The FWL has two memory cores they are dissecting, so all things considered they may be in the best technological situation of all the Great Houses.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

I wonder when the VSPLs start showing up?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Soon I hope. Large VSPL with targeting computer gets all my love. Perfect way of dealing with a 7/11/7 jumper.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And now it's time for the pre-update "how many alternates will we need this time" scramble.

VVV That's what I'm learning now. The other question is: how many alternates are also timing out?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 3, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
How many haven't sent in orders yet?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, because it's already come up and the people involved have full mailboxes: I am not tracking damage across 50+ hexes of woods, so I'll be ignoring orders sent to 'clear' them. If there were less things to track, it'd probably be fine, but this is the biggest fight to date and line of sight is already going to be a nightmare for me.

Edit: Important Edit:

I haven't heard from: masam (X4 Merlin), Zikan (X5 Marauder), or Cosmitz (X12 Cyclops IIC)

Just in case, I'd like these alternate to send in orders:

the JJ (X4 Merlin)
Reatheran (X5 Marauder)
T.G. Xarbala (X12 Cyclops IIC)

Hopefully we won't need you, but if I don't get orders for X4, X5, or X12 by tomorrow you're up.

I also haven't received a response from sarmhan, one of the alternates.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 3, 2012

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How does one sign up as an alternate anyways? I'm unfamiliar with MegaMek (used it, like, one time, to mess around with), but I have plenty of free time.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Thought I sent in orders. Resending my orders!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

-Troika- posted:

How does one sign up as an alternate anyways? I'm unfamiliar with MegaMek (used it, like, one time, to mess around with), but I have plenty of free time.

Just like that.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
:supaburn: Whoa god Idon'tknowwhatI'mdoing weeeee!

Waiting on googdocs access, but I assume 'moving towards the enemy' is the plan for now?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

the JJ posted:

:supaburn: Whoa god Idon'tknowwhatI'mdoing weeeee!

Waiting on googdocs access, but I assume 'moving towards the enemy' is the plan for now?

So far consensus seems to be to head left to engage the lighter Star first.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
We'll likely be engaging the lighter star first anyway. They're the only way those clanners can get LOS on us any time soon, I think. So we'll use that to our advantage and explode them first.

If we're lucky, we'll be able to explode the others too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'd be just as happy if the enemy commander was so intimidated by us exploding the lights that he retired to his fixed defenses. Far more likely is Clantech allowing them to get in range while we're still tangled up with the lighter star. In which case everyone else gets chewed up while my "worthless" AC/20 headcaps everyshot :black101:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Can I get in line for the Mechwarrior list as well?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hah, was wondering when you'd hop in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just want to make sure I'm on top of the list for Whenever Goonlance Fields A Hauptmann. You know, so I can lose it embarassingly since I've never played Battletech before.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I too would like to join the cool kids.

... If there was a Solaris thing in the future however... Wouldn't mind being skipped over for a shot at that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

JT Jag posted:

I just want to make sure I'm on top of the list for Whenever Goonlance Fields A Hauptmann. You know, so I can lose it embarassingly since I've never played Battletech before.

Pretty sure you'll have to fight DI for that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hah, was wondering when you'd hop in.

The list was so long before it would have been years before I got it. But with PTN doing 12 at a time + a few not showing up my odds look a lot better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

It could be worse. It could be a partial wing Viper.

... I'll be right back.

Edit: Yup, I can still get a Partial Wing and a PPC on a Viper.
You should see the things I've done with Partial Wings. They're horrible. I almost feel bad.

Zaodai posted:

Sadly, they were never refitted after the last parade, so the turrets are all confetti cannons. But hey, worth a shot!
Fill it with magnesium ribbon and setup some flamethrowers and that'd be a great way to gently caress someone up during a nightfight.

Shoeless posted:

However, punching has a much better chance of scoring a head hit, and with two punches, if both hit, it's something like a 1/3 chance of a head hit, whereas kicks only hit the legs. Something to keep in mind.
Very much a point in favour of kicking TBH.

-Troika- posted:

How dangerous are LAMs with bomb bays anyways? They seem like a waste of space and weight.
It can carry exactly one Arrow IV.

One Davy Crockett nuclear warhead Arrow IV.

Why yes, it is a Wobbie design!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Can I get in line for the Mechwarrior list as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yeah, while there's another wave of newbies signing up, I too would like to be put on the Mechwarrior waiting list. May the dice have mercy on my future soul.

• Locked thread