Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
You could just also use a good bacon if you don't give a poo poo about health, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You could just also use a good bacon if you don't give a poo poo about health, correct?

If you don't mind your chili having a strong bacon flavor. Something that may or may not be a good thing to different people.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I usually cook three or four pieces in the skillet and dice them up after I sear the meat chunks. Then crank the heat on the skillet and toss the onions and jalepenos in the grease for a minute. Then I dump out the grease and deglaze the pan with beer or broth and dump it all in the pot.

Tastes good.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

dedhed81 posted:

You folks that are smoking your chili meat, do you fully smoke the meat, like you would with a smaller brisket (6-8 hours)? Or do you just smoke it for a couple of hours then cut it and grill or sear it?

You could go either way. If you short-smoke it you need to make sure it braises long enough to be tender. Probably don't need to grill/sear it, you have some bark on it already. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands then go ahead.

On liquid smoke: it's a fine thing for making things taste smoky. I don't think it brings the same flavor to the table as the red smoke-ring in actual smoked meat, but it does taste like smoke. I have used it in chili before.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there anything in particular one would want to do different with a pork based chili rather than a beef one?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Is there anything in particular one would want to do different with a pork based chili rather than a beef one?

Make this instead.

http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/new-mexico-green-chili-with-pork/

Not that recipe maybe but the dish in general is amazing.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Anyone have the recipe for the texas style that was in the first post of last thread? I don't have archives to find it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Throwdown posted:

Anyone have the recipe for the texas style that was in the first post of last thread? I don't have archives to find it.

I rewrote this to send to someone else and may have reduced the amount of cayenne since my family doesn't like spicy food.

quote:

5 lbs cut beef
6 cups beef stock
1/2 cup olive oil
12 cloves garlic
3/4 bottle of beer (preferably a dark beer)
2 shots of tequila (100% agave, no Cuervo), you can substitute bourbon
2 shots of Backstrap Molasses
1/2 lb jalapenos
1 TB oregano
2 TB Cumin
1 ts cayenne
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup homemade chili powder

Brown the beef a little at a time, if you crowd the pot it will just steam and you won't get a nice dark brown color. Add all the beef back to the pot, reduce heat, add the flour and olive oil, cook it out for about 5 minutes. Add tequila, spices, molasses, beer and stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours. The beef will just fall apart when done.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

wormil posted:

I rewrote this to send to someone else and may have reduced the amount of cayenne since my family doesn't like spicy food.

Thanks! That chili recipe got rave reviews.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I keep threatening to make lamb chili. Are there any weird gotchas in the chili world that would not work with lamb? I know lamb and cumin are fast friends, can't see why it wouldn't make great chili. Experiences?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Make this instead.

http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/new-mexico-green-chili-with-pork/

Not that recipe maybe but the dish in general is amazing.

This looks pretty good I might integate it into my goto recipe for green chili

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html?m=1

I have made this a few times and almost won the chili cook off at work with it. The recipe is kind of all over the place but it's delicious.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 4, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pr0k posted:

I keep threatening to make lamb chili. Are there any weird gotchas in the chili world that would not work with lamb? I know lamb and cumin are fast friends, can't see why it wouldn't make great chili. Experiences?

I make lamb chili all the time. It works pretty much the same as beef, but it's a bit more flavorful, I think. It's also really good with goat, if you happen to have a surplus of goat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

This looks pretty good I might integate it into my goto recipe for green chili

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html?m=1

I have made this a few times and almost won the chili cook off at work with it. The recipe is kind of all over the place but it's delicious.

That looks good as well, but I do like larger chunks of meat in mine. I lost my hook up for Big Jims and Hatches so I haven't made any in forever.

I am not sure where I stand on the tomatillo question, I have had it both ways and liked it but I think if I could get all the peppers I ever wanted I wouldn't use them.

I keep meaning to look into ordering a pile of peppers but never get around to it.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
I promised my family chili next week since it's getting colder outside. Problem is, my dad won't eat meatless chili so I'm using chicken breast in it and I have no clue how to use chicken breast in chili. Do I just cook the chili as I would vegetarian chili, then poach the breasts till they shred, dice them up and brown them with the chilies I'm using, or what? :confused:

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I just made lamb chili. Seared some stewing meat, added to softened onions and garlic, then added a can of diced tomatoes, a bottle of stout, a couple cubes of home made lamb stock, the least crappy selection of chiles I could find (piri-piri, chipotle paste, pickled jalapeños, some chili powder I found with anchos in it), other spices (cumin, oregano, some tiny pinches of cinnamon), a little bit of cocoa, a poor man's gastrique made from sugar dissolved in warm apple cider vinegar, and a half cup of seriously strong coffee.

It tasted absolutely delicious, but I think it can get even better with a non-lovely assortment of whole chiles. Pretty stoked since I've never really made chili without some kind of a recipe before.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Kickshaw posted:

I promised my family chili next week since it's getting colder outside. Problem is, my dad won't eat meatless chili so I'm using chicken breast in it and I have no clue how to use chicken breast in chili. Do I just cook the chili as I would vegetarian chili, then poach the breasts till they shred, dice them up and brown them with the chilies I'm using, or what? :confused:

If you're cooking for a largely vegetarian crowd, make the the chili ahead (it'll taste better for sitting anyway) and then braise some chicken thighs in a little of the chili liquid, shred them, and incorporate into his serving.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

angerbrat posted:

If you're cooking for a largely vegetarian crowd, make the the chili ahead (it'll taste better for sitting anyway) and then braise some chicken thighs in a little of the chili liquid, shred them, and incorporate into his serving.

None of us is actually vegetarian, I just have major texture issues that limit what meats I can eat so I usually make vegetarian chili if it's just me. But for all three of us I have to use chicken breast, since it's the only chili-friendly meat that doesn't gag me and my dad won't eat vegetarian meals.

Braising the chicken is a pretty good idea, and definitely workable. I always make chili in the morning so it sits all day, and it'd be easy to braise a few breasts just before serving. Thanks for the advice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If he's a jerk about it, just reconstitute some TVP in a little chili liquid + water with some dark soy sauce. Oh no, you ate a vegetarian meal without dying.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kickshaw posted:

None of us is actually vegetarian, I just have major texture issues that limit what meats I can eat so I usually make vegetarian chili if it's just me. But for all three of us I have to use chicken breast, since it's the only chili-friendly meat that doesn't gag me and my dad won't eat vegetarian meals.

Braising the chicken is a pretty good idea, and definitely workable. I always make chili in the morning so it sits all day, and it'd be easy to braise a few breasts just before serving. Thanks for the advice.

What are your texture issues.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COLLAGEN

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

Kenning posted:

What are your texture issues.

Slimy or fatty things, ground meat and TVP, fizzy things, and overly rich things all make me gag and often trigger sensory issues too, depending on just how strong the smell/taste is. I can't eat most meats, full-fat dairy products, tuna packed in oil, tinned beans (unless they're firm enough to hold up to a LOT of heavy rinsing first), stuffing unless it's cooked in a pan and pretty dry, or soft drinks.

Weirdly enough, super-spicy foods are okay but foods that smell spicy but taste fairly mild, like my mum's pico de gallo, can cause problems too.

signalnoise posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COLLAGEN

Collagen is gross. :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
"Chili" with a bunch of random vegetables and crap in it is pretty gross too. Some would even say it is more of a spicy been stew and not chili which, oddly enough, is specifically "meat, cooked slowly with chili peppers and other spices".

I am a Tea-bagger, and chili is Obama's birth certificate.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Wait, why would bacon ever be worse for your health versus anything else in chili?

I always use bacon in my chili. Cut into lardons, cook the fat out, remove bacon, drain grease and keep ~1 Tbsp mixed with ~1 Tbsp oil, sear steak, etc

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Kickshaw posted:

Slimy or fatty things, ground meat and TVP, fizzy things, and overly rich things all make me gag and often trigger sensory issues too, depending on just how strong the smell/taste is. I can't eat most meats, full-fat dairy products, tuna packed in oil, tinned beans (unless they're firm enough to hold up to a LOT of heavy rinsing first), stuffing unless it's cooked in a pan and pretty dry, or soft drinks.

Weirdly enough, super-spicy foods are okay but foods that smell spicy but taste fairly mild, like my mum's pico de gallo, can cause problems too.

Collagen is gross. :(

What the heck is a texture issue?

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

ashgromnies posted:

What the heck is a texture issue?

Basically certain textures cause sensory overload, trigger sensory defensiveness or both. It's unpleasant but fairly easy to work around once you figure out your triggers.

To get this back on topic, I've got beans soaking now and dried hot chilies roasting in the oven to make chili powder. I've got to go light on cumin since my mum's not a fan, what else can I add to give it similar depth?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Kickshaw posted:

Basically certain textures cause sensory overload, trigger sensory defensiveness or both. It's unpleasant but fairly easy to work around once you figure out your triggers.

To get this back on topic, I've got beans soaking now and dried hot chilies roasting in the oven to make chili powder. I've got to go light on cumin since my mum's not a fan, what else can I add to give it similar depth?

Sounds like you're making chili by committee. Fry up some taco meat to put in your dad's bowl, add some sour cream to your mom's bowl.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's a "caribe pepper" and is it worth tossing some in a pot of chili? They're wide, pale yellow peppers about 2 or 3 inches long.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FetusSlapper posted:

Sounds like you're making chili by committee. Fry up some taco meat to put in your dad's bowl, add some sour cream to your mom's bowl.

Haha, I'm picturing the ideal of chili by committee as bits of grey ground beef floating in tepid water with no seasonings whatsoever.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, pretty much the only way I let anyone tell me how to make my chili is adjusting how spicy it is. I'll go one habanero to seven habaneros, but the rest of the recipe is mine and I'm not going to worry about someone's cumin issues or wanting carrots in it or something stupid like that. They all eat it and they all love it (though some of them add sour creme which I don't like but that's just fine).

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Kickshaw posted:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/picky-eaters.html

You have no idea how hard I'm trying to avoid SPD/ADD/ADHD/bad parenting jokes right now...

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
That mental image of "chili by committee" is pretty accurate to my dad's chili. He's not allowed to cook chili anymore.

I don't have any habaneros at all, unfortunately. Neither the local supermarket nor the commissary had them in stock, so I'm using a combination of serrano, anaheim, and jalapeno peppers. It'll probably look a little greener than normal and taste milder than usual but I'm okay with that.

Geizkragen posted:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/picky-eaters.html

You have no idea how hard I'm trying to avoid SPD/ADD/ADHD/bad parenting jokes right now...

Autism, actually, and I'm okay with the jokes. My mum and I have probably made most of them. And I'm a lot better than I used to be! As a kid I wouldn't eat any meat or any dairy except cheese, and now I'm even working on being able to eat more dark meat chicken/turkey by chopping it up and combining it with white meat, and can eat yogurt regularly.

Got my chili powder made and ready to go, beans are almost cooked, and I'll be able to start my chili first thing in the morning. Told my mum I'd rather not forego cumin and she agreed she can add sour cream to hers. I might wind up adding leftover turkey instead of chicken since we're having turkey breast tonight, anyone have any suggestions regarding that?

I've seen other people suggest coffee and/or cocoa powder in chili and I don't quite understand that, does it just add some bitterness?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Kickshaw posted:

Autism, actually, and I'm okay with the jokes.
o snap

quote:

I've seen other people suggest coffee and/or cocoa powder in chili and I don't quite understand that, does it just add some bitterness?
Yeah, in the bitter range, but it's just adding some depth of flavor. One might more nicely describe it as earthiness. I find I get enough of that end of the flavor spectrum by using a combination of dried and smoked chiles along with the fresh ones.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Kickshaw posted:

The addition of cocoa powder may be to sort of imitate the Mexican mole, although chile-spice-chocolate mole sauces are most commonly paired with turkey.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Good to know! Maybe I'll try adding some coffee next time.

My chili tonight came out pretty mild but otherwise excellent. Thanks for all the information, everyone. :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

2 hours into cooking and the roasted peppers have already pretty much disintegrated. Played it kinda fast and loose chopping the serranos so they'll be a while. Meat's still chunks floating in broth, but that'll change eventually.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm going to try a bourbon-based chili this weekend with beef cubes (no beans). Any suggestions on spices/peppers that will particularly complement the bourbon?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

I'm going to try a bourbon-based chili this weekend with beef cubes (no beans). Any suggestions on spices/peppers that will particularly complement the bourbon?
Chipotle peppers are always awesome for everything all the time always. Seriously, try em out. You'll have to make the peppers into a powder, but it adds a ton to the finished product. Otherwise serranos are awesome, I just wouldn't go for jalapenos (personal preference).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

Chipotle peppers are always awesome for everything all the time always. Seriously, try em out. You'll have to make the peppers into a powder, but it adds a ton to the finished product. Otherwise serranos are awesome, I just wouldn't go for jalapenos (personal preference).

This is all true but for the misguided jalapeños hate.

If I do want to make a jalapeño based chili I like to not use smoky or really earthy other peppers so that the brighness of the jalaps stays present. I like the way habs taste with jalaps a lot.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I went out and got a random assortment of ingredients, and now I'm about to make chili for the first time. Quick question though, on the first page someone had a picture of chipotles in adobe sauce and recommended throwing "a couple" in. Does that mean a couple of cans, or a couple of individual peppers? I do okay with heat, but I'd rather not sear off my rear end in a top hat/have inedible chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Sokani posted:

I went out and got a random assortment of ingredients, and now I'm about to make chili for the first time. Quick question though, on the first page someone had a picture of chipotles in adobe sauce and recommended throwing "a couple" in. Does that mean a couple of cans, or a couple of individual peppers? I do okay with heat, but I'd rather not sear off my rear end in a top hat/have inedible chili.

I'd imagine they were talking about a couple peppers. Personally, if I'm using chipotles in adobo I use roughly one 7.5oz can, but I've had others tell me that's too hot. I'd imagine a couple cans worth might venture into rear end in a top hat-searing territory.