Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
aw man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC_ul7GwEn4

Ybrik posted:

Tonight :doom:

Thursday September27th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/x46fj6j358

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/4npjcz3ahb

I most likely won't be able to run this one due to it being my dads birthday. If someone wants to volunteer I can put you in charge of the challonge brackets or you can just eyeball it.

Acute Hepatitis fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

HEY GUYS HOW'D IT GO? oh... yeah I'm just gonna reuse the signups from this week for next.

Next week Thursday October 4th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

PS3
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/x46fj6j358

Xbox
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/4npjcz3ahb

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 28, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

This game really sucks online :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Who are some good Dr. Strange players to check out (or other resources to look at)?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Season's Beatings: Ascension starts in about 15 minutes folks.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Yipes is back. :suspense:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Stream discussion usually goes in the Let's Play SF thread though there's not much going on there right now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236147&goto=lastpost

Countblanc posted:

Who are some good Dr. Strange players to check out (or other resources to look at)?
The two Strange players with footage up I can think of are Dieminion (Viewtiful Joe/Strange/Morrigan) and Ryan Hunter (Strange/Hawkeye/Dormammu).

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I was actually looking for information just yesterday and found a gamefaqs page that was pretty well written. (for some reason I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, but it was really easy to find)

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Oh man, please don't bring up Dieminion's Strange; it is just not that good.

Here's Tenboss playing a pretty solid set against Abegen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZZ5jf0TPbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHvqajN8rc

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bronson Tran probably has the best Strange in America. You can probably only find footage of him playing on FGTV archives though.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I've actually been going Fanatiq on this game and playing LoL instead, but I wanted to share some stuff.

Hit stun definitely has nothing to do with hits, I think one of the easiest ways to test this, should anyone care, would be the combo I talked about earlier with Dante.

j.S, dp+M, j.m, j.h, qcf+L, df.H~S (you have to S close to the opponent otherwise the j.m won't connect(

I've noticed that sometimes the combo drops on the 10th to 11th hit of the prop shredder and doesn't launch, other times it goes all the way to 12 hits on the prop shredder and launches. I've noticed that if you don't do all the df.H hits and cancel it early into the prop shredder it tends to work. The difference seems almost not noticeable, but clearly there is one there.

Here is some strange. I thought it was fantastic, although without matches against more, preferably US, players, it's hard to tell if it's really the top level stuff.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/sep/23/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-exhibition-frieda-and-nemo-battle-it-out-epic-30-match-set/

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Safety Scissors posted:

Hey guys, I've actually been going Fanatiq on this game and playing LoL instead, but I wanted to share some stuff.

Hit stun definitely has nothing to do with hits, I think one of the easiest ways to test this, should anyone care, would be the combo I talked about earlier with Dante.

j.S, dp+M, j.m, j.h, qcf+L, df.H~S (you have to S close to the opponent otherwise the j.m won't connect(

I've noticed that sometimes the combo drops on the 10th to 11th hit of the prop shredder and doesn't launch, other times it goes all the way to 12 hits on the prop shredder and launches. I've noticed that if you don't do all the df.H hits and cancel it early into the prop shredder it tends to work. The difference seems almost not noticeable, but clearly there is one there.

That example and what you say after seems to support that it is related to hits rather than not. Cold Shower hits 2-4 times, you've noticed it drop on the 10th and 11th hits so that would imply doing 3 or 4 hits on Cold Shower before the cancel into Prop Shredder makes it drop.

Basically, what?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fellblade posted:

That example and what you say after seems to support that it is related to hits rather than not. Cold Shower hits 2-4 times, you've noticed it drop on the 10th and 11th hits so that would imply doing 3 or 4 hits on Cold Shower before the cancel into Prop Shredder makes it drop.

Basically, what?

When prop shredder launches, the combo is 12 hits.
When prop shredder doesn't launch, it drops on hit 10 or 11.
Because of this, I think whoever said hit stun doesn't depend on hits is right.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Guys I'm thinking about picking up M.O.D.O.K. or Thor to run on point. Please, please talk me out of it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ybrik posted:

Guys I'm thinking about picking up M.O.D.O.K. or Thor to run on point. Please, please talk me out of it.

Why would you pick those scrubby characters when you can go Arthur on point

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Not helping.

Krad posted:

Why would you pick those scrubby characters when you can go Arthur on point

I want to be a jerk and trap people in the cover and command grab super xx anti-air command grab super if they jump.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ybrik posted:

Not helping.

I want to be a jerk and trap people in the cover and command grab super xx anti-air command grab super if they jump.

That shield takes a longass time to come out, you need to provide cover for it and it's a lot better if you have Levels of Understanding which means you need to know some of Modok's weirdass combos. It could work, but if you're playing a super rushdown Wolverine or Spencer with good mixups, you're gonna get rocked. Maybe add Doom with Hidden Missiles because that will make you win no matter what.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

That shield takes a longass time to come out, you need to provide cover for it and it's a lot better if you have Levels of Understanding which means you need to know some of Modok's weirdass combos. It could work, but if you're playing a super rushdown Wolverine or Spencer with good mixups, you're gonna get rocked. Maybe add Doom with Hidden Missiles because that will make you win no matter what.

I should clarify that my main interest is on incoming character mixups so I imagine it would be balloon bomb or something to prevent air movement and then as soon as they land killer illumination then if they jump Ultimate web throw. If they bionic arm or something similar crawler assault beats most stuff. I'm not sure what to prevent air movement with Thor but something similar.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Play thor on point. He's actually a really solid character. Charged mighty strikes does wonders against mindless fliers and goes through a lot of the bullshit in the game, air command grab is pretty good and xfactor command grab is a great reversal. However, you have to avoid his ground normals like the plague and mostly go for tridash j.ls instead. You also have to be comfortable with constantly buffering mighty strikes and other specials.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ybrik posted:

I should clarify that my main interest is on incoming character mixups so I imagine it would be balloon bomb or something to prevent air movement and then as soon as they land killer illumination then if they jump Ultimate web throw. If they bionic arm or something similar crawler assault beats most stuff. I'm not sure what to prevent air movement with Thor but something similar.

Thor, Modok and Spiderman? drat man, good luck with that online. The best thing to do with Thor is abuse is armored moves, especially the ones that charge in the air. They're really hard to beat and if you can confirm off them, you can probably play Thor pretty well.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Thor doesn't have any armored moves...

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Thor, Modok and Spiderman? drat man, good luck with that online. The best thing to do with Thor is abuse is armored moves, especially the ones that charge in the air. They're really hard to beat and if you can confirm off them, you can probably play Thor pretty well.

No, no, no, not Thor and MODOK just one of them I'm not sure which. I like MODOK's design better but Thor's beam assist would let me keep my combo extending assist so I don't have to learn new combos. Decisions, decisions...

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Shiki Dan posted:

Thor doesn't have any armored moves...

Unless the guide's wrong all of the Mighty Strike moves have a hit of super armor when fully charged.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ybrik posted:

Not helping.

I know, but I like variety and the less Vergils/Zeros I see out there, the better.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

You're dropping Spider-man if you pick one of those two up as your point, right? Spider-man's assists are garbage.

If your whole plan is command grab supers then I guess I'd say Thor over Modok because isn't Mighty Punish faster and more invincible than Killer Illumination? If you left Spidey on point you could catch people with raw Maximum Spider into Mighty Punish which would be funny.

Who would your third be? What kind of assist does Thor like? I imagine he'd want horizontal coverage but I don't know, I don't play Thor.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I would think that if you were to pick up Modok that you wouldn't want to run him on point. He has great assists and you can get all of those cubes going on TAC's. Then again I've never played Modok.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I'd think spiderman's web ball would be perfect for getting them into the throw mixup off of thor's otg smash.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey guys I'm getting into this game again, decided to go with a Dante/Dorm/Akuma team this time around. If someone could sperg a bunch of protips for those characters or the team as a whole I would read it like a million times and also appreciate it a bunch. Thanks!

Re: my current skill level, I can do the intermediate Dante BnBs from the SRK thread just fine (although I'm still working on consistency), I'm not a complete marvel babby. I have no idea how to use my assists to extend combos at all currently though and I need to learn basically everything there is to know about Dormammu.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Wozbo posted:

I'd think spiderman's web ball would be perfect for getting them into the throw mixup off of thor's otg smash.

no durability, it's slow, doesn't lock down, can only hit one character at a time, really difficult to call out safely, doesn't give you coverage for very long, etc etc

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Are you sure about the no durability part?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

no durability, it's slow, doesn't lock down, can only hit one character at a time, really difficult to call out safely, doesn't give you coverage for very long, etc etc

Its strictly for a combo, like do a whole thor combo into otg + spiderman ball into throw mixups? Could be talking out my rear end here but I think it works.

E: I'm wrong, its super hard to get it to hit correclt. She hulk would probably be better. Thor + shulk + doom?

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 2, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dren posted:

You're dropping Spider-man if you pick one of those two up as your point, right? Spider-man's assists are garbage.

If your whole plan is command grab supers then I guess I'd say Thor over Modok because isn't Mighty Punish faster and more invincible than Killer Illumination? If you left Spidey on point you could catch people with raw Maximum Spider into Mighty Punish which would be funny.

Who would your third be? What kind of assist does Thor like? I imagine he'd want horizontal coverage but I don't know, I don't play Thor.

Nope I'm bumping him back to the 2nd character slot, he's the anti-air grab. And since I'm doing grab superxxgrab super I don't think it matters how fast the first one is, or at least not as much.
As of right now I am going with web ball assist but that can change as I actually learn some combos for them but I think it will stay for Thor but maybe web swing for MODOK. My Third would be either Taskmaster or Skrull simply for laziness's sake. Learning 2 different characters at the same time is not very fun or fast I've found.

Boobs is Fun! posted:

Are you sure about the no durability part?

Naw web ball has pretty good durability. It trades with a single Morrigan fireball. Not that thats very useful against Morrigan but 2 webballs will beat Sentinel drones.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
thor mirror match, ybrik. this thursday

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I couldn't beat your Thor team with my real team you jerk...ok I'll go practice.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Does it beat Doom beam though? If it doesn't, it's going to have a hard time out in the wild.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Trykt posted:

Hey guys I'm getting into this game again, decided to go with a Dante/Dorm/Akuma team this time around. If someone could sperg a bunch of protips for those characters or the team as a whole I would read it like a million times and also appreciate it a bunch. Thanks!

Re: my current skill level, I can do the intermediate Dante BnBs from the SRK thread just fine (although I'm still working on consistency), I'm not a complete marvel babby. I have no idea how to use my assists to extend combos at all currently though and I need to learn basically everything there is to know about Dormammu.

One of the things I'm working on with Dante/Akuma is Stinger + Tatsu bold cancel into teleport, then figure something out that works on hit or block. Maybe j.H into air play I dunno.

Also, advanced combos or bust.

Dren fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 3, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think you know I'm pretty free at this game, but if you're running Dante/Dorm there are two things I'm pretty sure you have to know that you probably know already but I'm a little bored at work so I'm gonna post them:

1) With Dante on point, you can combo out of his air throw by mashing H, calling dorm, and using the hammer to get back to the ground. The timing is tricky (I could never get it up to 100%) but you spend enough time in the air with Dante that its an important thing.

2) With dorm on point (maybe you DHCed Dante out) you have a truly disgusting mixup on incoming characters in the corner. Masta CJ (I think) does it a lot - lay a carpet and call Dante. Jam session holds them up then they fall into the carpet, so they have to block for a while and you can go crazy with teleports and j.S.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can someone post good taskmaster bnbs? Also taskmaster bnbs that are extended by sent drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can someone post good taskmaster bnbs? Also taskmaster bnbs that are extended by sent drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCa-ZuzHI6Y

this is p. phat too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH6S5gpJ1tU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread