Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

doctorfrog posted:

I think I could pull off that green pretty well. Just got this Touch 4 months ago, though, so I'll be waiting some time for a new one. At least the Nano is back to looking like something worth having in a pocket.

e: ha ha holy smokes the Touch 5 starts at $300.

The $299 starting price is great for resale value on 4th gen ones. Would be a lot tougher to sell an 8gb or 32gb if a 5th gen 16gb was available for $199.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just put in a preorder on a white/32 on Amazon. If you're in California and are thinking about it do it now because they start charging tax tomorrow.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Is there a white one? I only see silver? Is that considered white?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BGrifter posted:

The $299 starting price is great for resale value on 4th gen ones. Would be a lot tougher to sell an 8gb or 32gb if a 5th gen 16gb was available for $199.

'ha ha holy smokes' wasn't in derision, it was just in honest disappointment. I'm definitely not knocking the logic behind their pricing, as it is based on what people will pony up for it, it's just way outside what I can part with for one, given that I just bought one less than six months ago. I'll wait a bit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

doctorfrog posted:

'ha ha holy smokes' wasn't in derision, it was just in honest disappointment. I'm definitely not knocking the logic behind their pricing, as it is based on what people will pony up for it, it's just way outside what I can part with for one, given that I just bought one less than six months ago. I'll wait a bit.

I totally get that, I bought my 32gb in the spring. Being able to get back roughly $200 of the $300 I paid for it then upgrade for an extra $100 is enough to temp me. If a 5th gen $199 came out I'd probably have had to settle for $150ish on the 32gb 4th and would have waited.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I've been having a headache syncing my Touch lately. Been getting that 'ipod couldn't be synced because an error occurred' error a lot, like three times this week. It's a huge pain because I don't have an internet connection at my apartment and each time its happened has been as I'm on my way out to work, so the ipod is basically bricked until I take my netbook online somewhere to restore it.

There's a few possible culprits I can think of; the ipod itself is getting kinda old, it's first or second gen, the usb cable is equally getting a bit old and frayed, and there's the no internet thing too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A new cable would be the first thing to try. I once restored my ipod to fix a problem that turned out to be a lovely cable that had a broken wire inside the insulation.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Are there any news on when the 5th gen iPod Touch is showing up in stores?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

shodanjr_gr posted:

Are there any news on when the 5th gen iPod Touch is showing up in stores?

No, still no announced shipping date for preorders, either.

I really want to see sample photos taken with it. I imagine the quality will be similar to the 3rd gen iPad's camera, and that actually takes fairly good photos. I don't think anyone will be buying the new iPod to replace their point and shoot camera, but it will be good enough to snap photos with if you don't have a better camera with you. Plus you get the convenience of all of the great photo apps for iOS.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I bought a 4th gen touch because I thought it had a better camera. :| I like having a really tiny but decent pocket camera.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Not touch, but I have a couple of questions about the 6th gen nano - I need a music player for my commute and won't have an iPhone for a few months. I don't really like the new nano at all, but do Apple stores still sell the 6th gen nano? Also, I'm thinking of dropping way too much money on the leather Lunatik watch strap for the nano, is that a terrible idea? Has anyone got any experience with them?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

PxiePip posted:

Not touch, but I have a couple of questions about the 6th gen nano - I need a music player for my commute and won't have an iPhone for a few months. I don't really like the new nano at all, but do Apple stores still sell the 6th gen nano? Also, I'm thinking of dropping way too much money on the leather Lunatik watch strap for the nano, is that a terrible idea? Has anyone got any experience with them?

As a rule, Apple drops old models of anything like a hot potato when it has a new product out. You're in luck though: Apple's online store has refurb Nanos on sale for cheap.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Nihiliste posted:

As a rule, Apple drops old models of anything like a hot potato when it has a new product out. You're in luck though: Apple's online store has refurb Nanos on sale for cheap.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

Thanks very much, I would never have thought to check there! Now to decide if I want to drop 120 dollars on the silly leather LunaTik strap...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It is really annoying that it takes 6 seconds to start the music app on my 4th gen touch, now it's upgraded to iOS 6.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wandle Cax posted:

It is really annoying that it takes 6 seconds to start the music app on my 4th gen touch, now it's upgraded to iOS 6.
Don't ever try the podcast app, then.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Also, really great that the Purchased Tab is completely useless on the App Store. I can understand some problems due to server overload in the first few days of iOS 6.0, but it's been long enough now...

Another annoyance is that they scrapped the iOS 5 way of updating apps (download update for an app, and while it's installing, start downloading the next app update). Now it's back to the iOS 4 and below way of downloading and fully installing one app before working on the next.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Okay so it's October and I didn't get my iPod touch 5th generation yet. Did Apple just scam me of all my money? 1 star.

All jokes aside, anyone have an update on shipping dates of the new device? I tried to look it up and the website still hasn't set a date, and all my googling gets all these rear end in a top hat reviewers from like May 2011 talking about potentially new features like dickgrabbing and reach around service.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Jet Ready Go posted:

Okay so it's October and I didn't get my iPod touch 5th generation yet. Did Apple just scam me of all my money? 1 star.

All jokes aside, anyone have an update on shipping dates of the new device? I tried to look it up and the website still hasn't set a date, and all my googling gets all these rear end in a top hat reviewers from like May 2011 talking about potentially new features like dickgrabbing and reach around service.

No official date yet.

Tim Cook mentioned the new iPods in an internal Apple employee letter:

"And in the next few weeks we’ll ship the new iPod touch and completely redesigned iPod nano with innovative designs that our customers are going to love this holiday season."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I am considering buying one of these Ipod devices I read so much about. I'm thinking Ipod Classic, because it's got the most space. (I don't want to have to obsess over what to put on the device and what to leave off.) From what I've read on the Wikipedia, the current Ipod Classic model is three years old. That makes me worry that the week after I buy one, a newer, better model will be released. Does anybody know if/when a new Ipod Classic model is going to show up?

Thank you.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It's extremely unlikely Apple will ever release an updated iPod Classic.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Yeah, sad but true. It just doesn't make much sense in an era of flash storage and touchscreens. Until we can get a 128GB Touch though, it's the only option for storing whole libraries in some cases.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I tried connecting my year-old iPod Touch 4th gen to my new ThinkPad T530 and iTunes told me that it could not locate the pairing record.

This new computer has no music files as of yet but I made sure to sign into my iTunes account before connecting the iPod. Do I need to wipe the iPod and start fresh or just reset it using the home and lock buttons?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I wish they would release another classic. I prefer the clickwheel, because I can adjust volume and tracks by just putting my hand in my pocket without taking the iPod out and poking around the touchscreen.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

henpod posted:

I wish they would release another classic. I prefer the clickwheel, because I can adjust volume and tracks by just putting my hand in my pocket without taking the iPod out and poking around the touchscreen.

I can hit the volume buttons on my touch from outside my pocket.

Playback controls, though, yeah, it's headphones with an in-line remote or you're SOL.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds like END of October fulfillment then. I want my new toy NOW.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jet Ready Go posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds like END of October fulfillment then. I want my new toy NOW.
Hahaha, you should know by now that when companies say a month/season/yearly quarter, it means that it's at the very very very very end of that limit.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Hahaha, you should know by now that when companies say a month/season/yearly quarter, it means that it's at the very very very very end of that limit.

Listen, if Steve Jobs was still alive he'd have make sure to poo poo me out a GOLDEN iPod Touch with facial recognition interface and have it be charged by the tears of Android users... and it would have been in my hands TODAY.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm just glad I've been lazy about selling off my 4th gen. Going without for this long would have driven me crazy.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I was updating my music and my iPod froze up on the home screen, in the middle of syncing. When I plug it in, iTunes shows everything as "other" as opposed to music or games or whatever it happens to be.

Is there much I can do to get it back, preferably without losing all the stuff saved on there (it's been a while since I did a back up)?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

New iPod touch just shipped.
Looks like the delivery date is by Monday the 15th (possible official release date)?

Of course, I was an idiot and ordered two colors hoping to cancel one before shipping as soon as I got an inkling of the release date, so I'll have to make a trip to the Apple store to return one once I get it. :doh:

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
I realize this has probably been answered but I've looked through the last 10 or so pages and didn't find an answer.

Is there software that lets you copy songs and files TO your ipod? Normally the problem is getting things off of it but with the stupid update (from like a year ago) you can only sync the entire library to your ipod and not just add individual songs. Problem is it doesn't recognize a few songs or something because I have albums that only have like half the songs.

I have iexplorer and sharepod, I can't seem to make this work with either of those.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

TrixR4kids posted:

I realize this has probably been answered but I've looked through the last 10 or so pages and didn't find an answer.

Is there software that lets you copy songs and files TO your ipod? Normally the problem is getting things off of it but with the stupid update (from like a year ago) you can only sync the entire library to your ipod and not just add individual songs. Problem is it doesn't recognize a few songs or something because I have albums that only have like half the songs.

I have iexplorer and sharepod, I can't seem to make this work with either of those.

Can't you just drag and drop in iTunes?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Or create a playlist with the songs you want and sync the playlist?

I created a autoplaylist that adds any three or four star songs automatically. Saves a lot of time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TrixR4kids posted:

I don't really feel like marrying my iPod Touch to iTunes, so I tried a few different methods for just putting some damned music on it some other way.

Apple is really determined that everything you do with their products involves ecosystems that they exclusively control. Even SharePod requires that I sync the Touch with iTunes at least once.

You buy the dog, the fleas come with it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TrixR4kids posted:

Here's your problem, most likely.

Go to the main screen of your Touch in iTunes and scroll down. Make sure this is checked:

Note that this will delete the music on your iPod and you'll have to add it all again.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

Note that this will delete the music on your iPod and you'll have to add it all again.
I'm pretty sure it will ask you before doing this, but that was when I plugged mine into a second computer to manually drop on music, so I can't guarantee it.

You could also leave it on sync with the 'sync only checked songs' option set (this might be enabled by default, I don't recall), and just uncheck everything.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Here's your problem, most likely.

Go to the main screen of your Touch in iTunes and scroll down. Make sure this is checked:

Gotcha, I guess I'll just do that, delete, and copy everything back onto it. So annoying though, pretty sure this was never an issue with the older versions of itunes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Has anyone used freedompop?

I'm thinking of using it with the new touch that i'll be getting in a couple weeks, and combine them to make like a poor mans iPhone.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Got one yesterday, the wireless access point. Poor coverage in North Seattle suburbs, worse than on my Clear router. antenna must be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Hmm $100 for a box that will give me free 500MB of "4G" per month? :raise: if its decent fast and not ad-laden somehow that's a better long term deal than paying AT&T for LTE on my new iPad.

I'm skeptical though. Other than the coverage (which looks pretty good around me in Boston) anyone know of any drawbacks?

And when they say the equipment has a "refundable" deposit, does that mean if you send it back they refund or what?

• Locked thread