Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

This sets a really bad precedent that will cause somebody to eventually get seriously injured. In beer league hockey. Where nobody has learned to hit nor take a hit properly. It's really dangerous.

Not all beer league is full of beginners that have never played competitive before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

D C posted:

Not all beer league is full of beginners that have never played competitive before.
There's also a difference between letting beginners truck each other because they have lots of PIM, and letting a guy who's being a supreme rear end take a hit and go uncalled. There's always that one dude who plays like there's a scout in the stands ready to pick him up for his big break.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

There's also a difference between letting beginners truck each other because they have lots of PIM, and letting a guy who's being a supreme rear end take a hit and go uncalled. There's always that one dude who plays like there's a scout in the stands ready to pick him up for his big break.

And he either ends up hurting himself or others.

poo poo like this happens all the time.

The games that are completely clean I enjoy, whether I win or lose, because it was the better team that won. I'll do my best to make sure it's my team that wins it.

The dirty players bring the rest of us down.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

D C posted:

Easily the greatest player of all time? Owns like all the records?

yeah, he was good at hockey.

my favourite record is that Wayne and Brent are the top scoring brothers of all-time even thought Brent only has 4 points.

Anyways I am getting put on defense in my next game on Tuesday and I am wondering how I can play good positional defense despite being pretty bad at backwards skating ( can't cross over, not very fast) in fact any tips on how to play defense at all would be great.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Some defensive tips:

When a skater is coming at you with the puck, their shoulders will generally dictate the direction they skate in. Follow the shoulders.

In the defensive zone, try and keep to your side. If the puck is in the corner closest to your position (example: playing left side, puck in left corner), go to the corner. If the puck goes to your fellow d-man's side, go to the front of the net. He should be in his corner, battling for the puck. Stay slightly away from the goalie as to not interfere with your own goalie, and just patrol. Keep your head on a swivel, and keep your stick active, yet in control.

When clearing the zone with the puck NEVER, EVER put the puck through the middle of the ice (there's exceptions, but this is a good rule to follow especially if you're just starting out). Hard and HIGH off the boards and glass is usually the best method for getting a puck out.

When moving up with the rush, play staggered with your fellow d-man. This will help out if the play comes back in transition.

Most importantly, communicate with your fellow d-man and especially your goalie.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 30, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

shyguy posted:

When clearing the zone with the puck NEVER, EVER put the puck through the middle of the ice (there's exceptions, but this is a good rule to follow especially if you're just starting out). Hard and HIGH off the boards and glass is usually the best method for getting a puck out.

And if for some reason you can't do that, sending it out hard behind the net is the next best option. Ideally you should have a winger parked up high on the wall waiting for you and you can send it along the boards to them.

Offensive zone tip: Watch. The. Play. If it's on your partner's side of the ice, move toward the center -- you want to keep about half the rink distance between you and your partner. If it's on your side of the ice, stay along the wall on your side (at which point your partner should slide over to cover the middle).

And always, always keep your feet moving.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

Some defensive tips:

When a skater is coming at you with the puck, their shoulders will generally dictate the direction they skate in. Follow the shoulders.

I've always heard the hips don't lie and to watch the hips, not the shoulders.

Anyways, basic defense advice: Defense -- own the center of the ice, force shots to come from outside.

If there's a guy in front of the net, tie them up and don't let them get the puck.

Notice what's working on the breakout for your team. Can your winger carry the puck out? Do you have time to skate with it?

Don't get caught by a cherry picker and make sure to not pinch towards the puck unless you're sure you can get there.

Don't make bad line changes, especially in the 2nd period.

Also do your best to take half a second and make the right play. It sounds like you're in a beginner league. If so, there's more time than you think. Take a second and make the right play, or at the worst, eat the puck. Lots of mistakes happen when you rush it. This will help avoid icings, bad breakouts leading to easy rushes back into the zone, etc. It's beer league. You should feel relatively safe that no one is going to plow into you full speed to get the puck.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Do you guys take off the soakers on the skates when you get home. Or do you leave them on? I've been taking them off but sometimes I forget.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

I've always heard the hips don't lie and to watch the hips, not the shoulders.

Anyways, basic defense advice: Defense -- own the center of the ice, force shots to come from outside.

If there's a guy in front of the net, tie them up and don't let them get the puck.

Notice what's working on the breakout for your team. Can your winger carry the puck out? Do you have time to skate with it?

Don't get caught by a cherry picker and make sure to not pinch towards the puck unless you're sure you can get there.

Don't make bad line changes, especially in the 2nd period.

Also do your best to take half a second and make the right play. It sounds like you're in a beginner league. If so, there's more time than you think. Take a second and make the right play, or at the worst, eat the puck. Lots of mistakes happen when you rush it. This will help avoid icings, bad breakouts leading to easy rushes back into the zone, etc. It's beer league. You should feel relatively safe that no one is going to plow into you full speed to get the puck.

Yeah, dude, I've heard it's all in the hips, too. Fancy players can dip their shoulders and throw you off, but the hips are so much closer to the extremities of interest. I think it's virtually impossible to travel in the opposite direction of your hips.

I think one of the things they teach advanced skaters is skating maneuvers with your upper body still. I think the Stamm book has a separate section on doing crossover with your shoulders facing in and one on doing them with your shoulders facing out. Though I could be mistaken.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zettace posted:

Do you guys take off the soakers on the skates when you get home. Or do you leave them on? I've been taking them off but sometimes I forget.

I leave them on

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I take my soakers off, but it's probably not necessary. I dry the blades pretty good when I take them off.

I pull the foot liner out too, just so it can dry faster and I avoid the stink a bit longer.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
D_C: the real beginner leagues are, especially where I am in northern California. generally the players who actually know how to hit and played high level aren't the ones who are all CHECK OUT THIS HIT BRO either anyway

JetsGuy posted:

Right, and you let him take a hit and let it go uncalled and he is going to absolutely haul off and seriously injure somebody later because he feels it's justified in his idiot brain, if they can hit him and get away with it he can hit them even harder!!!!

and then people get in literal fistfights in beer league. :rolleyes:

edit: i hate reffing low level beer league lol

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 30, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

coldwind posted:

Yeah, dude, I've heard it's all in the hips, too. Fancy players can dip their shoulders and throw you off, but the hips are so much closer to the extremities of interest. I think it's virtually impossible to travel in the opposite direction of your hips.

I think one of the things they teach advanced skaters is skating maneuvers with your upper body still. I think the Stamm book has a separate section on doing crossover with your shoulders facing in and one on doing them with your shoulders facing out. Though I could be mistaken.

Honestly just don't look at the puck and you'll be fine. Their body has to commit at some point, and even if you don't try to guess which way they will go, you'll be able to follow them subconsciously and stay with them as long as you keep your eyes on them.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Now that I'm thinking of it, you guys are right about the shoulders, I had a brain fart about that. The torso works good to follow. We were always preached to follow the jersey crest.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Right, and you let him take a hit and let it go uncalled and he is going to absolutely haul off and seriously injure somebody later because he feels it's justified in his idiot brain, if they can hit him and get away with it he can hit them even harder!!!!

Bonus points for the person who got injured being one of the worst and/or smallest skaters on the ice (an easy target) and completely uninvolved in the previous hits that were uncalled for.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So my hockey pants are getting beat up and I'm probably going to have to invest in something new fairly soon. I've only ever worn the one-piece pants, but I'm debating on switching from pants to a girdle-shell combo. Is there any benefit to one over the other? Which do you prefer and why?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've worn a girdle/shell for at least the last 10 years. I like the more snug fit and feel that they offer overall better protection.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
First game with my team tonight. I just put on a helmet and sat on the bench (another 3 weeks before I can play :smith: ). I love my team though, I already know half of em through development league stuff.

Fun times.

Topoisomerase posted:

and then people get in literal fistfights in beer league. :rolleyes:

edit: i hate reffing low level beer league lol
Solid point.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Well, assuming the beer league got my application in the mail, I'm supposed to have the assessment game on Wednesday... but I'll be missing it thanks to needing to be home for a CT scan on Thursday. Oh well. The league is aware of the situation and I'm gonna email them tomorrow to make sure they got my application and that everything is alright about missing the game. Super excited to be in a league again, though :)

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Another week, another game getting blown out in our 3 on 3 league. The fun went out the door in game 1, last night was pure frustration. Having all D players in a C/D division is bad, mmmkay

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EvilTwig posted:

Another week, another game getting blown out in our 3 on 3 league. The fun went out the door in game 1, last night was pure frustration. Having all D players in a C/D division is bad, mmmkay

Well, your team can only get better! :cheeky:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EvilTwig posted:

When we play 4v4 our best players play defense. Too easy to give up odd man rushes if they don't.

Last week we played a new team that put their best players up front and all it took was us getting to a loose puck and a simple breakout pass and we were gone. We won 7-0 after we stopped trying with 7 min to go in the 2nd

Maybe it's different for 3v3 and/or maybe it's just a skill level difference getting exposed but try putting your best players back there and see what happens.

Also how big is the sheet you're playing on?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Honestly for 3v3, your positioning and teamwork will be super, super important. Assuming you're playing 1/3 or 1/2 ice, you need to either try as much as you can to maintain a triangle at all times (attacking and defending), or play a very strict man-to-man defense and use a triangle attack with your strongest player on the 'point' position. It sounds like for your situation where there may be players on other teams that will smoke you playing man-to-man, you'd want to use the triangle option for defense as well. Clog up passing lanes and force wide, just like in 5v5 hockey. With a small ice space it's really tempting to just gravitate towards the puck but try not to. Trust your teammate closest to it to pressure it.

Also as far as offense goes, a good cycle will get you tons of goals in 3v3, especially if the other team seems to be playing man-to-man.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 1, 2012

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Thanks for the advice. You guys are right, the triangle is key. Its on a rink thats about a half sheet, and we are drastically out skilled. On offense, I tried to stay at the back of the triangle, and we did OK at times. One thing in particualr that was killing us was when the back man has a chance to skate with the puck, somebody has to drop back to cover.

On a more positive note, the jerseys showed up today.
For 18.00 each, I'm very happy with the way they came out, but Tron hockey's 3 days from payment to shipping claim should come with a 'business days only' disclaimer.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for beer league? We're hoping to have 15 skaters by Oct 11th so we would pay $560-something each for the ~$8500 league fee (with early bird discount). 21 games, a preseason game, plus single game knockout playoffs. Probably comes out to $20-$30 a game.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

StyleFresh posted:

Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for beer league? We're hoping to have 15 skaters by Oct 11th so we would pay $560-something each for the ~$8500 league fee (with early bird discount). 21 games, a preseason game, plus single game knockout playoffs. Probably comes out to $20-$30 a game.

I think most ice leagues around here are $1200-1500 max per team for a 10 game + playoff season. This is around Pittsburgh.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
We pay about $330 or so a person for 12 people in Orlando, and there's only about 13 games plus 4 playoff games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

$25 a game for 4v4, $28 for a 14 game season + playoffs.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
My team is paying about $16 per skater per game for 12 games, no playoffs.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

dms666 posted:

I think most ice leagues around here are $1200-1500 max per team for a 10 game + playoff season. This is around Pittsburgh.

I can confirm this. We pay $110 each with 14 players for 10 games + playoffs at ice castle

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's like $9500 per team here. 23 game season + playoffs or something like that.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

$7,200 per team for 22 games guaranteed here.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Mine is $205/person for the fall I think. Fall session is 11-12 games and then we do a spring session for the same price but with playoffs.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Around $20/game is par for the course for most leagues I've played in. Some are more, some are less.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

StyleFresh posted:

My league charged like $400 for a season of ~22 games and a playoff. Season just started and goes through March. I think goalies get about $100 off.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
One league in Scottsdale is $480 per person, less if you register early, for a 20-24 game season and $200 for goalies. My other league in Tempe is $300-360 person for a 13-14 game season and $150 for goalies. There are only 11 sheets of ice in Phoenix (excluding big arenas like Jobbing.com), so ice time is at a premium and youth hockey dominates most of the good time slots. The good thing is that we have ice year around, so it's not like some parts of Canada where they only have the ice installed part of the year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bought an S19 on clearance with the old P2 Camallieri/Shanahan pattern. This should be interesting

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

There are only 11 sheets of ice in Phoenix (excluding big arenas like Jobbing.com)..
I... uh... only 11? I hate you so much.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ManicJason posted:

I... uh... only 11? I hate you so much.
Yeah for real, there's only 3 within an hour of Orlando. If you go farther out, say 2 hours it'll balloon up to around 7 I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm struggling to think of 11 within an hour of Pittsburgh even come wintertime