Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Coffee

I didn't drink coffee at all until I was in my mid 20s so I have some experience.

First of all, take it easy. I know when I started a full cup of coffee would make me a jittery mess; it might be different for you because I never drank coke/pepsi/dew at all so my exposure to caffeine was minimal. Don't have more than a medium-ish cup a day, and try not to have it after noon or you won't be able to sleep.

Coffee's shitter/pisser effect is because is because one of the active agents in caffeine is a vasodilator, which means it causes blood vessels to expand and blood to flow more freely. Bizarrely enough though, coffee use in general raises blood pressure so who knows what's really going on there.

Weaning on is done by tastiness. What got me into it was Starbucks white chocolate mochas, which are heart attack city. Grab a few of those to get used to the effects, then move onto drip coffee cut heavily with cream and sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try one of these and see how it goes.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Lance Streetman posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try one of these and see how it goes.

Don't be a pansy and listen to these guys. Get yourself a triple-shot expresso and do it via enema (you wont taste it that way). After 3 or 4 of those you will be all set.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Let's say I was on contract with a company through a headhunter making $x a week. When pulled on full time, should I expect more or less? I could picture more, because while I'm getting $x, that must mean the headhunter is being paid even more than that, so I would be getting that money then. On the other hand, I could picture less; job security is its own premium, as well as having health insurance.

Basically I'm wondering, did I get hosed when I went from a $x/week contract job to a $.75x/week steady job.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Golbez posted:

Let's say I was on contract with a company through a headhunter making $x a week. When pulled on full time, should I expect more or less? I could picture more, because while I'm getting $x, that must mean the headhunter is being paid even more than that, so I would be getting that money then. On the other hand, I could picture less; job security is its own premium, as well as having health insurance.

Basically I'm wondering, did I get hosed when I went from a $x/week contract job to a $.75x/week steady job.

Surely that would depend on exactly how much you were getting before, and the net value of your benefits?

If you were headhunted as a temp, the placement agency generally receives a not-insignificant payout from the company that hires you full time, so I would expect if they value you enough to pay that and take you on permanently they probably value you enough to pay you a decent wage at least in line with what they were paying the headhunter.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Golbez posted:

I had a Software Developer buddy who was hired as a contracter, making $x/hr, and then was brought on full time making $x*40*52 salary. (Which ends up being a pay cut, since he's no longer being paid for overtime, which he put in a fuckton of.)

Basically, I wouldn't expect a raise - the company does have to pay significantly more, since you get healthcare, and the company has to pay higher taxes on you. Plus, they're already aware that you're willing to do the work for $x, so why would they pay you more? I certainly wouldn't expect my pay to go down though. Was this for (basically) the same position at the same company?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I was hired properly, along with a bunch of others in the same situation, after being a temp through an agency for 9-10 months, and I think we were all supposed to value the implied security, the health insurances, the paid vacation/sick days especially, and general glory more than a considerable raise. Head hunters were getting $7/hour extra for me, and when I was hired I think I got like a $1 raise.

It was an office with a floor full of young graphic artists, technical writers, and programmers, though, so maybe they were exploiting our youthful innocence and optimism a bit. Miss those guys.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

What's a good way to clean my laptop screen/a good cleaner or wipe to use?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Used drier sheets work for me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lance Streetman posted:

Depends on what about it is dirty. For dust, even microfiber cloths will just push some of it around. That being said, I'll usually start with a microfiber cloth, wrangling all of the extra crap into a corner of the screen, and then blast the area with canned air.

For specks of spit from indignant rage, a paper towel with a misting of Windex works pretty well. I buff out the inevitable streaks with a microfiber or softened paper towel (I'm sure a drier sheet would work.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, you're not fooling anyone. You've never had coffee before either :colbert:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Used drier sheets work for me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Depends on what about it is dirty. For dust, even microfiber cloths will just push some of it around. That being said, I'll usually start with a microfiber cloth, wrangling all of the extra crap into a corner of the screen, and then blast the area with canned air.

For specks of spit from indignant rage, a paper towel with a misting of Windex works pretty well. I buff out the inevitable streaks with a microfiber or softened paper towel (I'm sure a drier sheet would work.)

No spits of indignant rage, thankfully. I'll try the drier sheet thing, thanks.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Minor thing, but I noticed that one of the Blogspot blogs I follow seems to be allowing comments only through Facebook. Is this a new option now for Blogspot? Am I misunderstanding that one blog's commenting system or something? My blinding insights on Let the Right One in must be shared with the world.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I was looking at how to get more free space for Dropbox, and I saw that you can connect it with your Facebook or Twitter accounts. It says that it will post on my behalf if I do it though. How frequent/obnoxious are the messages? I hate seeing this kind of spam on there, but I would like the extra space.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a software or a website that I can overlay two images from Google maps over each other? For example, if I want to compare the size of San Francisco and Seattle by putting both the Google Maps image over each other.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Is there a software or a website that I can overlay two images from Google maps over each other? For example, if I want to compare the size of San Francisco and Seattle by putting both the Google Maps image over each other.

Weird. We just had this kind of question a few pages ago. I think they liked this answer best:

onionradish posted:

MapFrappe lets you compare maps by tracing on one Google map, overlaying the tracing on another Google map. Like Australia to Africa, or Alcatraz to Liberty Island.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Where can stuffed animal noses my little sister's stuffed dog recently it lost its nose, and the ones at the hobby lobby were not "right". This little stuffed animal means a whole lot to her and I tried getting it fixed for her birthday and it wasn't right. So I am asking how/who/where can I get part/pay people/find parts to get it fixed it would mean a whole lot to a nine year old who has had the toy since she was two or three.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fallorn posted:

Where can stuffed animal noses my little sister's stuffed dog recently it lost its nose, and the ones at the hobby lobby were not "right". This little stuffed animal means a whole lot to her and I tried getting it fixed for her birthday and it wasn't right. So I am asking how/who/where can I get part/pay people/find parts to get it fixed it would mean a whole lot to a nine year old who has had the toy since she was two or three.
It'll probably never be "right" and that sounds a tad ungrateful and bratty even for a 9-year-old but I'll just say that a google search for "stuffed animal noses" gives a surprising number of hits with pics, so if you (or the little darling) remembers what the "right" one looked like you can probably buy a facsimile and pay a seamstress or someone to sew/glue it on, or do it yourself. (Or take this as opportunity to teach a very important lesson about loss and the futility of it all.)

Also, did you look under the couch for the "missing" nose?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fallorn posted:

Tons of them on etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/search?q=animal%20noses&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0

Maybe ask around at dry cleaners to see if they are skilled in stuff animal surgery? Otherwise there's an etsy goonsquad in DIY and hobbies that might be able to take on the job.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ironically enough, I'm not sure how to pronounce this...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Powered Descent posted:

Auto - Die - Dackt. The closest I can think of "didact" rhyming with is ... hijacked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powered Descent posted:

"Insufferable"

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Don't use windex on your laptop screen, the ammonia can erode the surface. Or, use ammonia free at least.

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 23, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I'm thinking I might need to start drinking it soon. What's the best way to get used to the taste of it?

Get instant coffee and use just enough water to dissolve it then fill the rest of the mug/glass with milk. Coffee flavoured milk. But why would you ever need to start drinking coffee? Drink it if you like it, don't if you don't.

Lance Streetman posted:

I find telephone cleaning wipes work really well. I work in a call centre so I have ready access to them, so I'm not sure where you can get them or what they cost.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Liebfraumilch posted:

What's a good--or better, official--term for someone who is book/self-educated on a lot of subjects and therefore is sporadically incapable of properly pronouncing odd things (like foreign ministers, cities, etc) aloud?
You can be an autodidact and still know how to pronounce things by looking them up in dictionaries/wikipedia. Basically, what I'm saying is I make fun of people who are decently well read but don't know how to pronounce "epitome".

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I see a lot of tips for vinegar as fabric softener, to be added during the final rinse cycle of the wash. Do people just wait and listen for the different cycles to start/stop or is there a setting on some washers to stop before a final rinse?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Many newer washers have a fabric softener dispenser.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

buttopticor posted:

You can be an autodidact and still know how to pronounce things by looking them up in dictionaries/wikipedia. Basically, what I'm saying is I make fun of people who are decently well read but don't know how to pronounce "epitome".

I made an rear end of myself the other day because someone I was doing a job for wanted me to write a little copy about someone on a Board of Directors being an "uh MARE it is". I had no idea what she was saying and finally had to say so. She was really sort of confused as to why I had no idea what she was talking about. Not being involved in higher education, foundation boards, or the like I'd just never heard the word "emeritus" spoken aloud -that I could recall. I would have thought it was "emma RIGHT us". I finally figured it out in context.
I am in my mid-late thirties...

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
This kind of goes along with the autodidact discussion, but is there a website that will allow me to put in a name and have it read the pronunciation back to me?

I've been doing a lot of work for a client and we've only ever conversed via email. I'll be meeting her in person today and she has a name that I am not 100% sure how to pronounce, and I don't want to sound dumb when I meet her.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

buttopticor posted:

That's completely reasonable, but I know I learned a lot of words through context as I was reading novels, textbooks...whatever I could, and so it's natural, I guess, to sprinkle conversation with terms you comfortably grasp and never needed to look up, and then have your brain stand by in mute horror as your lips don't quite know what to do with it mid-sentence.

It's unfortunate. It makes you come off as though you're trying too hard to impress, like some rags-to-riches second wife setting the banquet table and everyone privately sneering at the misplaced salad fork. But I find a sort of romance in it, myself.
:unsmith:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

This kind of goes along with the autodidact discussion, but is there a website that will allow me to put in a name and have it read the pronunciation back to me?

I've been doing a lot of work for a client and we've only ever conversed via email. I'll be meeting her in person today and she has a name that I am not 100% sure how to pronounce, and I don't want to sound dumb when I meet her.

You could try running it by us? Though I think some of us might have established we are entirely untrustworthy.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 3, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

What's the name? Is it foreign or just an unusual spelling?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I needed to know the pronunciation of someone with a very long Polish name, but fortunately a newscaster had reports on Youtube and I was able to learn from that. So you might get lucky if you search Youtube for that name.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Honestly, most weird names are shared by someone semi-famous in which case Wikipedia will have a pronunciation. Unfortunately, some names could have two different origins so you still might not know.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Thank you for the help I found a nose that looks better it is the bear nose not the dog nose that was on her dog. I will now have to learn how to flock it so it is "right" because the design I found matches what she had. Any advice on flocking something?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

buttopticor posted:

Honestly, most weird names are shared by someone semi-famous in which case Wikipedia will have a pronunciation. Unfortunately, some names could have two different origins so you still might not know.

This worked perfectly, thanks. It turns out it's a common enough surname to have it's own Wikipedia entry.

Plastics.
May 3, 2012
one word
Grimey Drawer
Voting question!

My boyfriend and I have been living in California since January, but we've been staying in various long-term hotels because his job sends him abroad so much that we just haven't bothered finding an apartment yet. Are we allowed to vote here without having a permanent residence yet? The closest-to-useful thing I could find on the internet was "Get a P.O. box and use your temporary address." But it's a hotel address. I just want to vote without getting in trouble. :ohdear:

Edit: forgot a word.

Plastics. fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 3, 2012

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

This worked perfectly, thanks. It turns out it's a common enough surname to have it's own Wikipedia entry.

For future reference, you can also try http://www.pronouncenames.com/. Not everything has a pronunciation uploaded, but a lot do.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Does anyone have experience with Border Energy? They're one of those companies that go door to door and sign you up for a lower natural gas recovery cost or whatever, and claim you get a lower price with it.

I know some of the companies that come around lock you into a fixed rate, just before your usage skyrockets in the winter, and you end up paying significantly more. This guy was saying that it's more of a flex plan that always stays 10% under what the standard Consumers rate is (I'm in SW Michigan for context.)

I ask because I got kind of steamrolled by the salesman because I recently had issues with my utilities and actually did kind of half-expect a discount or credit to my account, and it wouldn't be the first time they sent someone out in person to mention it. That, plus my own ignorance and legit good salesman tactics on this guy (props to him, most of the door to door people around here are lethargic and defeated the moment they show up) led to me signing on to their plan.

They claim a $55 or so cancellation fee, but only after the initial free cancellation period of 30 days. I see a few BBB and Ripoff Report complaints, but nothing about them actually scamming people with a high fixed rate -- more about being spammed with phone calls and issues contacting them three years ago.

Should I preemptively call and cancel, or is this a legit company? They claim to be sending a terms and conditions document in the mail, and they claim that it will take 1-2 meter reads (so two months) before they actually take effect. They also claim it only works through March. So on one hand, it's not locking me into something lasting for five years with a high price, and they didn't have all the typical rhetoric about a fixed rate saving me money when the price goes up for the winter. On the other hand, the timing makes sure that I won't see the effect on my bill until after it's too late to cancel for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

Get instant coffee and use just enough water to dissolve it then fill the rest of the mug/glass with milk. Coffee flavoured milk. But why would you ever need to start drinking coffee? Drink it if you like it, don't if you don't.

If you want coffee milk, just buy coffee milk syrup.