Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yawgmoth posted:

demon translation guide is slated to come out like a month before the new demon.

Wait, really? Publish the translation guide for the book before you publish the book itself. Well I'm sure they know what they're doing. I just hope that Demon is awesome and that they stock it at my local when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'll probably pay 100-something for Mage 20th, if I get the chance to save up for it. :shobon:
I just hope that they have something similar to the $385 W20 pledge - I can't imagine what the equivalent to a Heavy Metal Deluxe version would be for mage but I want it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't know about Mage, but the Ultra Heavy Metal Deluxe Wraith better have real chains.

I'm surprised to see how many people had off-putting experiences with this one. Although not really surprising when I think about it. The setting worked as a WoD supers game - but it unfortunately also worked as a terrible fursona yiff-fest orgyfuck.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Wait, really? Publish the translation guide for the book before you publish the book itself. Well I'm sure they know what they're doing. I just hope that Demon is awesome and that they stock it at my local when it comes out.

This is actually a good way to generate buzz and excitement for the new one without cutting into the market for the old one. It'll sell because there hasn't been an oWoD Demon book out for ten years, and then nWoD Demon will sell because OH gently caress NEW DEMON. The other way around, people would still be hopped up on nWoD Demon and oh there's a translation guide that's cool I guess.

moths fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 3, 2012

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

This is probably a really stupid question, but how exactly is a VtR game above BP6 supposed to function Vinculum without either Coils of Blood or Spina Blood dolls? Doesn't Vinculum start grinding the game to a halt as the PCs suddenly start being beholden to much weaker (and presumably younger) vampires?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Froghammer posted:

This is probably a really stupid question, but how exactly is a VtR game above BP6 supposed to function Vinculum without either Coils of Blood or Spina Blood dolls? Doesn't Vinculum start grinding the game to a halt as the PCs suddenly start being beholden to much weaker (and presumably younger) vampires?

Not if you kill them when you are done drinking.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Froghammer posted:

A) Feed off of one vampire, who feeds off humans/animals.
B) Feed off vampires, show your thanks with a stake broken off in their chest and a nice view of the sunrise on the beach.
C) Feed off vampires, show your thanks by diablerizing them. Ashes are easily swept away.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Feed from a small circle of younger vampires who all have wood through their chests and are stored in your basement. Gradually become obsessed with them and love their still, lifeless bodies as you imagine what they would say to you. How you can tell they love you by the way they give you blood.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

What happens if you drink from someone who's already a thrall to your Vinculum?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

What happens if you drink from someone who's already a thrall to your Vinculum?

It only goes up to three drinks. Past that, it's basically free drinks (except for resetting timers on breaking the bond).

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

It only goes up to three drinks. Past that, it's basically free drinks (except for resetting timers on breaking the bond).

No, I mean, what if the person you're drinking from has already drunk from you three times and is Vinculated (it's a real word honest) to you. Can you do a reciprocal Vinculum?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oh, yeah in that case you'd both end up as each other's regnant and thrall. This never ends poorly, ever.

Ever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh, yeah in that case you'd both end up as each other's regnant and thrall. This never ends poorly, ever.

Ever.

Isn't there something in the fluff about how some vamps who are all OMG SO IN WUV! will create a two way vinculum like that? I would swear I've read something like that.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

No, I mean, what if the person you're drinking from has already drunk from you three times and is Vinculated (it's a real word honest) to you. Can you do a reciprocal Vinculum?

Error 404 posted:

Isn't there something in the fluff about how some vamps who are all OMG SO IN WUV! will create a two way vinculum like that? I would swear I've read something like that.

On a side note, if you're a member of the Ordo Dracul, they'll put both of you in a concrete coffin and bury it in the sea forever if you do this! :shepface:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Error 404 posted:

There is, and as Punting pointed out, the OD will put you in torpor if they are feeling uncharacteristically charitable for doing so. It tends to make vampires go pretty loving crazy.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
Vampires with higher Blood Potency than their victim can spend a Willpower point to roll a Stamina + Composure roll to resist Vinculum.

Garl_Grimm fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 3, 2012

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Punting posted:

On a side note, if you're a member of the Ordo Dracul, they'll put both of you in a concrete coffin and bury it in the sea forever if you do this! :shepface:

I think this also has to do with the Coil of Blood that lets you gain extra Vitae for each point you drink. Two vampires could theoretically do this back and forth to have a never-ending stream of Vitae. They call it a Hungarian Marriage, IIRC. If they find out you're doing it, get out the concrete!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I think this also has to do with the Coil of Blood that lets you gain extra Vitae for each point you drink. Two vampires could theoretically do this back and forth to have a never-ending stream of Vitae. They call it a Hungarian Marriage, IIRC. If they find out you're doing it, get out the concrete!
The reason they're against Hungarian Marriages is because those who are in them tend to go froot loops and it's bad times for everyone.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Yawgmoth posted:

The reason they're against Hungarian Marriages is because those who are in them tend to go froot loops and it's bad times for everyone.

Not quite as froot loops as the ones who get together to make big ole daisy chain vinculums ten vampires long, which, iirc, was mentioned in the same part of the book.

A dozen hungry bloodsuckers, all insane, all hungry, all madly in love. :shepicide:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Punting posted:

Not quite as froot loops as the ones who get together to make big ole daisy chain vinculums ten vampires long, which, iirc, was mentioned in the same part of the book.

A dozen hungry bloodsuckers, all insane, all hungry, all madly in love. :shepicide:

Oh God it's a Twilight fan convention.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Yawgmoth posted:

demon translation guide is slated to come out like a month before the new demon.

poo poo is maaaaaaaaarked on my calendar.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Hey everyone, I've been playing WoD games for forever, and I want some thoughts on a particular question: teaching Mage: The Awakening to noobs.

They're experienced roleplayers, so they won't have a problem with "roll dice, look for 8s, 9s and 10s." or stuff like that.

But how should I teach the basics - paths, orders, legacies (if any, I haven't decided), arcana, how to cast a spell at the darkness, etc.? Here are the specific questions:

In what order should I teach them?

Is there a way I can teach them while actually playing the game or roleplaying in some way, to make it memorable and fun instead of just passing the book around for 2 hours while :words:?

What is the official Mage Supremacy smiley? I assume :witch:.

Are there things I should avoid in designing an Awakening campaign for Mage noobs who might have looked at the book once or twice but know nothing? Like really complicated things that look normal on the surface but cause big problems once you get into them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There is an optional suggestion in the book that you actually start off the campaign as normal non-supernatural people that proceed to Awaken in the first session. The rest of the campaign turns into a gaggle of newbie mages learning the ins and outs of not only how to be a modern day wizard but the intricacies of Awakened politics. There's no end to the stuff you could do with that, which serves as a means of driving a story forward as well as introducing them to various aspects of Mage piece by piece.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wasn't the Mummy game supposed to come out last month?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Glitterbomber posted:

Yes, along with some kind of deluxe edition kickstarter. They've been quiet about it, but I think the September 2012 date was picked out back when v20 was printed, and something has changed since then.

Attentively, they may just not want to have two kickstarters running simultaneously - in this case we will get Mummy (and the kickstarter for the deluxe edition) shortly after w20 concludes.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I think it's also that without distributor-mandated deadlines they've adopted a 'done when it's done' approach. They're not going to rush things to meet a release date, as that just leads to another Geist.

According to their blog site, the book's in layout but the layout-er's house was broken into and the layout files might have been damaged :doh:. Still, they're planning on putting the Kickstarter up soon.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Error 404 posted:

The Invictus have an arrangement where two elderly vampires will each get a 3-drink vinculum to the other and then take turns running the family business while the other is in torpor. The 'active' vampire spoons with the torpid vampire during the day.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Reene posted:

There is an optional suggestion in the book that you actually start off the campaign as normal non-supernatural people that proceed to Awaken in the first session. The rest of the campaign turns into a gaggle of newbie mages learning the ins and outs of not only how to be a modern day wizard but the intricacies of Awakened politics. There's no end to the stuff you could do with that, which serves as a means of driving a story forward as well as introducing them to various aspects of Mage piece by piece.

Even if I do this, though, I have to decide how to teach the various character construction decisions when I start to apply the Mage template to characters. And I need to know in what order to do this, and I need to have it not just be an NPC telling things to the characters (hopefully).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I typically go path & arcana (e.g. "moros are necromancers, they get death & matter ruling. death does ABC, matter does XYZ." etc.), how to cast spells, what mana is & how to get/use it, orders, legacies, and finally why I'm not allowing ritual casting of instant spells.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Looking at one of my players thinking a normal person is a supernatural, any tips?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Glitterbomber posted:

We designed and wrote it. It's now going through production, which relies on, well, all sorts of stuff.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Raepdog posted:

Looking at one of my players thinking a normal person is a supernatural, any tips?

Sorry, so...the player thinks a non-supernatural NPC is supernatural and....what are they doing? What's the situation?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Yawgmoth posted:

I typically go path & arcana (e.g. "moros are necromancers, they get death & matter ruling. death does ABC, matter does XYZ." etc.), how to cast spells, what mana is & how to get/use it, orders, legacies, and finally why I'm not allowing ritual casting of instant spells.

I can dig that house rule, but can you talk a little bit about how you decide what should be ritual and what should be instant when you (or another player) makes up a new spell?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raepdog posted:

Give the normal person something to be paranoid about. Lets say he's been harrased by a vampire for a while now. He's been losing sleep, looks like poo poo, questions everything.

Your players going to assume the normal person is hiding something then when they get to close BLAMMO! The vampire comes out to protect his masquerade and they find the true villain.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

JDCorley posted:

Even if I do this, though, I have to decide how to teach the various character construction decisions when I start to apply the Mage template to characters. And I need to know in what order to do this, and I need to have it not just be an NPC telling things to the characters (hopefully).

See the Mage core, which tells you how to make a character step by step on pp. 64-67. The tricky thing is that you need to recalculate Merits and advantages after adding the template. The game is really designed to apply Merits after adding the template, so leave those out of characters without the template for the prelude. Basically it goes:

1) Normal Guy Without Merits
2) Mage Template
3) Merits
4) Advantages (redo due to template adjustments)

If you're teaching the game use Step 1 for fundamentals and stick around. After a bit you can add templates. An NPC laying down the law is not so bad because, well, they *will* be wizards' apprentices. There should generally be a time gap to represent training and indoctrination.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Is there anything I could have them play through in the apprentice period that I could use in order to make those template-applying, Merit-selecting decisions fun?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

A game like that is going to make it impossible to build any sort of power in the mortal world; every one of your pawns, everybody they knew, and a few generations of their greatgrandchildren will be dead every new session.

Bluebook it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JDCorley posted:

I can dig that house rule, but can you talk a little bit about how you decide what should be ritual and what should be instant when you (or another player) makes up a new spell?
Generally, if it's going to affect someone else directly I think it should be an instant spell. Spells that are intended to make sweeping changes or create something from nothing should be extended cast. There's a few spells (can't dig through my books right now to find an example) that I think could be either/both, but in general I think ritual casting ends up being really absurd.

Also, with preparing contingent spells, I'd rule that it should be spells that lack a resistance only. Both because otherwise you get into that horridly written "it's an aimed spell but then it also has this potency and derp herp derp", and so you can avoid the Supernal Cold War of spending the time during your morning coffee casting your prepared "if someone intends to attack me, 20 potency psychic sword to the brain" spells.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raepdog posted:

What are they? Are they hunters? If so, have they been getting cocky about their ability to recognize and strike down the supernatural? trick them into killing him and then get them arrested.

Either way, encourage them to do some investigating which will allow them to figure things out. Make it tough because he could just be really good at blending in, or be a super awkward normal person. If they find out that he's just a normal dude, reward them in some way. loving up on horror recognition is a big deal. Killing a bystander is just as bad as letting a vampire or something go. Worse. Murder is serious poo poo, their characters should feel like they almost killed a guy for no reason holy gently caress. This is the line between Hunters and Slashers.

If they aren't hunters, then it really depends. why do they think he's a supernatural creature? What do they do? you gotta give us the deets

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'd start with administering a Voight-Kampff test, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

JDCorley posted:

Is there anything I could have them play through in the apprentice period that I could use in order to make those template-applying, Merit-selecting decisions fun?

It depends on how much time you all want to put into it. Awakening and/or the Mystery Play are generally troupe/solo scenarios. If everybody's going to be a mage, I think it's probably a good idea to combine Mystery Plays into one. This is uncommon, but not something that breaks the setting, either.

Path is a choice based on the character's intuitive, deep connection to the Supernal, but of course there's nothing wrong talking about this as a niche thing, then modify character personalities (with the consent of the players) accordingly. Still, Awakening does not punish you much for having characters of the same Path, as long as there's some variety in secondary Arcana.

Each order has an apprenticeship process that can be gamed through. The Guardians of the Veil and Mysterium are probably the most straightforward, followed closely by the Adamantine Arrow, which lends itself to traditional violent adventuring. So:

1) GoV characters going through the Veils up to the point of killing and taking on the order.
2) Mysterium archaeomantic expeditions and time in an Academy. In fact, if you don't mind single-order stuff, doing an all Academy game is supported in their book.
3) Adamantine Arrow asskicking.
4) Silver Ladder Convocation attendance and Cryptopoly conspiracy-wrangling. The apprentice can also work with a Lictor as a sort of deputy.
5) Free Council work can cover political tensions with the Diamond, but I think it'd be more fun for them to look for contemporary strangeness.

(You should probably pick up the order books for some of this stuff.)

If you play through this stuff, the scenario should probably determine rote choices, and you should make useful rotes accessible.

Now if each character belongs to a different order, this is really kind of a solo/bluebook/alt-medium game (trade email/messages on the side of a live game, for example) kind of thing. If that seems like a pain, focus on the Mystery Play where players pick Paths (and, say, 3 dots of Path Arcana), then lay out their choices for order outside of the fiction and cooperatively describe an apprenticeship fiction where characters pick rotes and non-Path Arcana. I would describe a mentor for each order to personify the choice and provide a contact for later on; 0 dots in Mentor means that this guy proceeds not to give a poo poo about you, but that's OK.

So, my recommended structure:

1) Your dudes are normal dudes, and they have a Mystery Play where they Awaken, pick Gnosis, Path and Path Arcana, and use them in an active denoument.
2) Your now-Awakened dudes play through or bluebook individual sessions, where they pick rotes and Merits.
3) Now you're all starting PC mages, though with a bit more XP under your belt.

I personally think Legacies are better to pick up in later play, as they really are an expression of "After a while, I am ready to commit to what I think I'm all about."

• Locked thread