Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hm, only a year ago though. Annie was still in school, if we're generous she hasn't spent her first summer at Gunnerkrigg, if not we're into Lindsay territory. Either way, Sivo is dead and has been for some time. So Jimmy Jims is what, punching Orjhaks? Finding one hard enough to buddy up with so he doesn't have to borrow valkyrie girl's teleportation junk to go anywhere? Oh yeah and Jones is there and he's pretty sweet on her.

Ninjedit: Hm, despite the :goleft: face, Jones does seem to like touching Eglamore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

M.c.P posted:

Hm, only a year ago though.

Years ago.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm probably imagining it, but Jones reminds me an awful lot of Jeanne in this page.

^^ It says years ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But not too many.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

M.c.P posted:

Hm, only a year ago though. Annie was still in school, if we're generous she hasn't spent her first summer at Gunnerkrigg, if not we're into Lindsay territory. Either way, Sivo is dead and has been for some time. So Jimmy Jims is what, punching Orjhaks? Finding one hard enough to buddy up with so he doesn't have to borrow valkyrie girl's teleportation junk to go anywhere? Oh yeah and Jones is there and he's pretty sweet on her.

Ninjedit: Hm, despite the :goleft: face, Jones does seem to like touching Eglamore.

Especially seems to enjoy touching his hair, for whatever reason.

I find it a pretty :3: relationship overall, there's obviously a lot of affection in the body language (and has been ever since we first saw them together, sparring), even if the stone face always adds a strange, mildly unnerving note.

If this chaptet doesn't reveal what Jones is, I'll be happy if it at least sheds more light on her relationship with Jimmy Jims.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Matlock Birthmark posted:

And what are those things in the last panel?
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=59

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Dawww, those little rascals.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I swear this whole week is just going to be pictures going back into the past. By next Monday we'll find out Jones was alive in dinosaur times.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I was looking at today's update and had a thought... What if Jones doesn't know what she is? Or maybe she only suspects... We are flashing back through her life so I think it might be revealed to the audience anyway.

Eh, maybe that's kinda dumb. I think we aren't going to find out who the medium is till next chapter or at the very end of this chapter though. That seems like a good secondary cliffhanger to drop in this chapter.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm probably imagining it, but Jones reminds me an awful lot of Jeanne in this page.
That's what I thought as well.

Angry Avocado fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 2, 2012

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Not just you.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I feel both so spoiled and teased by these last two comics.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dogbutt posted:

I swear this whole week is just going to be pictures going back into the past. By next Monday we'll find out Jones was alive in dinosaur times.

I really hope this is what happens for the entirety of the chapter, at least until back to either Surma & Co's time or perhaps the founding of the Court if that is the case. It would be a great example of purely visual storytelling and give us a lot of beautiful artwork along the way.

Plus, lots of answers new questions along the way!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Ten thousand years ago, a Jones-like person is in a cave looking impassively at a fire while some hairy dude drags a carcass in to consume.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Olivia42 posted:

I really hope this is what happens for the entirety of the chapter, at least until back to either Surma & Co's time or perhaps the founding of the Court if that is the case. It would be a great example of purely visual storytelling and give us a lot of beautiful artwork along the way.

Plus, lots of answers new questions along the way!

Yeah I was legit getting impatient at the comic ignoring Annie/our questions but it seems like it's answering them via short flashbacks which are keen as all hell.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ten thousand years ago, a Jones-like person is in a cave looking impassively at a fire while some hairy dude drags a carcass in to consume.

Shortly (geologically-speaking) after meteors slam into the planetoid-turned-planet one day called Earth, some self-replicating molecules begin multiplying, but one of them seems to jerk about in a considerably less-jerky and more reserved manner.

The Jones particle: source of the universe's coolness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Regy Rusty posted:

Things that Jones is:
1. Not a robot.
2. Not Jeanne.
3. Not the girl in the photo.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I predict the next flashback will go back to Jones' teen years, with Surma and her having some sort of shouting argument with one another.

Well, Surma having a shouting argument, Jones just standing their with her stony face on trying to be the cool-and-calm to Surma's dumb-and-so-goddamn-crazy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rasamune posted:

I predict the next flashback will go back to Jones' teen years, with Surma and her having some sort of shouting argument with one another.

Well, Surma having a shouting argument, Jones just standing their with her stony face on trying to be the cool-and-calm to Surma's dumb-and-so-goddamn-crazy.

Welp, I think I need to see that now regardless. (Original here: in case anyone wants to make my dreams come true).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Readers ask: "Who is the hairy dude? Is that Eglamore?"

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Things that Jones is:
1. Not a robot.
2. Not Jeanne.
3. Not the girl in the photo.

What if she is Jeanne? Like, Jeanne's spirit is trapped by the river, but some part of her remains and lives on in Jones, which is why she's so deadpan and neutral and she's not a robot, she's an android, duh (no, a gynoid) and she's not the girl in the photo because she's not a photo she's a real person (Ceci n'est pas une Jones) and the girl in the photo is an image of a girl (who is Jones).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Todays strip: Jones holding hands with a T Rex. It is awkward.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Todays strip: Jones holding hands with a T Rex. It is awkward.

And the T-rex is Eglamore.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. Tom is selling a Golem heart t-shirt right? What if Jones's had to have her heart replaced with a Golem's heart?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Only several years ago? Annie is a teenager, Eglamore should probably have been over it already by "several years ago".

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

pik_d posted:

Only several years ago? Annie is a teenager, Eglamore should probably have been over it already by "several years ago".

Pffft. Someone's never been in unrequited love...

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

pik_d posted:

Well, the last panel was years ago, so several years ago could imply 15-20 or so.

Also Jones doesn't look much younger in this page. Maybe the last one was just a trick of how she was dressed. I really don't know now. I think I might just be terrible at guessing ages in this comic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Golem or not, it's good to see Jones is not impervious to bad fashion <:geno:>

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Calaveron posted:

Golem or not, it's good to see Jones is not impervious to bad fashion <:geno:>

Well the theme of todays comic was "brown" and this was the best she had.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Jones is creepy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So Jones literally picked up Elgamore on the rebound.

Seems to have turned out well enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jones has terrible game. Man, Eglamore looks pissed there in that last. Guessing she's been creepy for a while.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 3, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So hey I just noticed that recolored Court T-Shirt I asked for like two months ago is on sale now. Just ordered the gently caress out of that, you guys don't even know.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Obviously this is pushing towards a love triangle square.

Surma loves Tony loves Jones loves Eglamore loves Surma etc.

Only Kat's parents had the straight forward requited love.

OR DID THEY?

Arianya fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 3, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Always, James, ALWAYS.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I wonder if Jones had something to do with why Surma chose Tony.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, the last panel was years ago, so several years ago could imply 15-20 or so.

I would say several means less that 15.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That or they fell out of contact? Maybe Surma rejected him, they went on their separate ways, and ten years ago or so Eglamore hears about Surma Carver, mother of Antimony Carver.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Totally didn't notice it the first time, but Eglamore calls Jones "Jo" after they spar. Does that mean Jones is her only (current? Coyote certainly implied she has had several,) name? Also Parley is surprisingly nonchalant about Jones' ability to deflect swords with her face, so she knows at least a bit about Jones' special qualities.

I'm constantly impressed how every chapter makes me dig back into the archives to look for connections to the current chapter.

Friday can't come quick enough, what are you Jones? (Obviously not a robot, even though the sound effect from the sword to the face made a metal on metal like sound)

It makes me wonder if Wandering Eye is a title, not a name. Maybe a title with some special power associated with it? The enforcer between the Court and the Woods for when one side tries to break a deal between the two? She did threaten Coyote on his home turf.

Damned if I know though, every other prediction I've made was wrong for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ATP_Power posted:

Totally didn't notice it the first time, but Eglamore calls Jones "Jo" after they spar. Does that mean Jones is her only (current? Coyote certainly implied she has had several,) name?

Well, we've repeatedly had Annie call her "Miss Jones" and been rebuffed with "Just Jones, please", so I guess so.