Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Godholio posted:

I dropped a SBC piston/conrod on my bare foot because I'm a loving moron. Actually I just dropped it and tried to break its fall with my foot. Only a minor crush wound in the top of my foot that closed up about 36 hrs later, and the scar looks exactly the same as the wound did before the blood started to pour (the scar is a weird dark purple).

Edit: VVV Yup. Not so much as a nick in it or the floor (I was in the kitchen over a tile floor, getting ready to box up the pistons for storage).

It's okay. I was wearing flip-flops when I threw myself under a CB750 motor as it toppled of a toolcart.

The motor was fine but it took a while to pick all the asphalt out of my back and I'm pretty sure I broke a few ribs.
The pisser was that once I finally got it off my chest I dropped it on my foot.

I am not a clever man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

BoostCreep posted:

I assume you tried screwing bolts into those two smaller holes and that didn't work?

The smaller holes are not threaded. They are used to hold the rotor to the hub in the factory. What am I missing here?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Brigdh posted:

The smaller holes are not threaded. They are used to hold the rotor to the hub in the factory. What am I missing here?

On many rotors which have two holes like that there are threads in them and two bolts can be used to pry a stuck rotor from the hub.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

opengl128 posted:

I've posted this before. It's my go to for stuck rotors, has never failed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Korwen posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's goddamn genius. Hopefully I don't have to do this too often, but it beats the gently caress out of hammering on those bitches.

Absolutely genius, and simple too (that's the best part!). I hope I never need to know that, but if I do, I hope I remember this video.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's okay. I was wearing flip-flops when I threw myself under a CB750 motor as it toppled of a toolcart.

The motor was fine but it took a while to pick all the asphalt out of my back and I'm pretty sure I broke a few ribs.
The pisser was that once I finally got it off my chest I dropped it on my foot.

I am not a clever man.

Any project worth doing is a project worth bleeding for.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

opengl128 posted:

I wish I had known about that trick 15 loving years ago when I could have used it most days of the week. Genius.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

opengl128 posted:

I used a variant of this trick last week to remove a seized wheel hub / bearing assembly, only with 1/2" threaded rod instead of bolts. All my hammer was doing was deforming the metal. Worked beautifully, although the sealed assembly was starting to split apart from the force.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
it's so much fun using a torch though :(

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Memento1979 posted:

I wish I had known about that trick 15 loving years ago when I could have used it most days of the week. Genius.

You're not kidding. This is some poo poo everybody should know.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

opengl128 posted:

My standard method was to jam the space saver jack between the rotor and the frame/whatever else is solid then keep turning it while hoping it dosen't slip off or explode into shrapnel, this seems 100% safer thanks :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

it's so much fun using a torch though :(

A combination of the two methods works really well when you've got something totally rusted on there. I was putting so much force on several rotors this way that I was afraid I was going to break something. I just heated them up with the torch a bit while they were under pressure and they popped right off.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bang Me Please posted:

On many rotors which have two holes like that there are threads in them and two bolts can be used to pry a stuck rotor from the hub.

Yeah, I did that with some random bolt I had kicking around and it just sheared clean off flush with the rotor. :saddowns:

I suppose that video mentions using decent grade bolts for a reason.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bang Me Please posted:

No, most times the HUB is threaded and the rotor is not. That's why the factory counter-sunk screws have to be ground flat on the hub after you drill out the heads. They seize in the hub threads.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Sockington posted:

No, most times the HUB is threaded and the rotor is not. That's why the factory counter-sunk screws have to be ground flat on the hub after you drill out the heads. They seize in the hub threads.

I know what you're thinking of but thats not what I was thinking of. There are many rotors with threaded holes for removal purposes, lots of drums have them too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bang Me Please posted:

I know what you're thinking of but thats not what I was thinking of. There are many rotors with threaded holes for removal purposes, lots of drums have them too.

Yeah, that's how I remove the rotors on my Subaru. There are two threaded holes in the rotor and you thread two bolts into them and steadily put pressure on the rotor until it pops off.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

opengl128 posted:

That is good to know!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

opengl128 posted:

I remember Edd China on Wheeler Dealers using a similar method for removing and installing bushes from suspension arms

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bang Me Please posted:

They're apparently not as common as they probably should be. I've done the brakes on all my cars and first encountered these literally yesterday when working on a Kia Spectra for my boss. It's an awesome feature though, too bad the rotors that were on the car didn't have them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's how I remove the rotors on my Subaru. There are two threaded holes in the rotor and you thread two bolts into them and steadily put pressure on the rotor until it pops off.

I have used that trick on Subarus too.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

kastein posted:

Huh. Another one (stolen from a friend on another forum)

I had one fail in a similarly catastrophic manner in a 91 Chevy 4x4 when I was a kid.

The bearing started getting wonky around the pinion so that the torque was sucking it in until the carrier began to nail it every time it rotated.

Sounded like a rail car with a bad wheel when it finally let go.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Saw this this morning on the way to CT...

Well. That explains how bad it smelled, I guess.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You found Bruiser!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kastein posted:

It's possible you witnessed the first actual garbage truck that runs on lightning.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Oh, whoops

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I get that it's a brake rotor, but what is it off? Semi-truck? Pick-up truck? Does the rotor slide in over the splines?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

bolind posted:

I get that it's a brake rotor, but what is it off? Semi-truck? Pick-up truck? Does the rotor slide in over the splines?

Yeah sorry,

Semi truck rear axle, Yes the disc does slide over the splines.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EightBit posted:

You found Bruiser!

First time I ever heard of SA was when I found the PDF of all his stories. Was a beautiful collection.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

opengl128 posted:

Equal amounts of "god drat, that's genius" and "gently caress, why didn't I have this x years ago when doing y brake job"

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

kastein posted:

Firefighters refer to car fires as "rolling dumpster fires", because once the fire breaks out, the whole thing is just garbage - nothing worth saving.

Someone got a little too literal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kastein posted:

Several years ago on our street, a garbage truck ran its compacting cycle and ended up depositing its contents in the street. The bottom of the truck had reached its corrosion threshold and the compact cycle pushed the contents out the bottom.

The smell was foul, and it was fun watching the city workers shovel the garbage into another truck.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

kastein posted:

You got a better idea on how to get rid of trash???

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Moxie Omen posted:

You got a better idea on how to get rid of trash???

Uhhhhh... set it on fire in NYC instead of Hartford area :haw:

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
Taken from another forum, apparently some woman went to this guy's garage complaining about "crap brakes". This was on a 5 year old SKODA which had never been to an MOT station!

And yes, that used to be a brake disc..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Polymerized Cum posted:

Firefighters refer to car fires as "rolling dumpster fires", because once the fire breaks out, the whole thing is just garbage - nothing worth saving.

An old coworker's paycheck and CD collection both survived a car fire.

Nothing else except the back bumper and taillights survived, though the check was in the CD book.. which was under the seat. Nothing was left of the seat except the frame. :iiam:

Bank still wouldn't cash it because it was scorched on one edge. :argh:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of car fires, evidently Chevrolet's Camaro is prone to becoming, how should I say it, crispy.

http://youtu.be/b70jXed3DWo?t=1m16s

Skipped the boring parts for you.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

"Lamborghini doors" and hot wheels sticker

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I work at Haas Automation, we have robots that automate the loading and unloading of raw castings into our lathes and mills. This robots programming had some flaws, sometimes if the exit feed was full and the robot rejects a part (due to casting problems) it would whirl around at full speed and try to put the part back into the in-feed where it came from. Unfortunately one of the horizontal mills is directly in the path to the in-feed, and this happened:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Some of my friends were at a track day today and this happened:

well, that's not so bad...

don't have anything higher res.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

jamal posted:

Some of my friends were at a track day today and this happened:

well, that's not so bad...

don't have anything higher res.

Well, at least it died in use instead of in a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At least it's still in production unlike a lot of other supercars on track. :) I'm sure McLaren's bodyshop will be overjoyed to see one that actually died in battle.