Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

travisray2004 posted:

It's Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina and as far as I recall they don't close it off from public traffic but I could be wrong.

They close it for the Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb. It's closed in that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't want to step on toes, but it's probably the best 4cyl ever sold in a production car.

That noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMyQ9XbCfss

You have angered the 4G63.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nait Sirhc posted:

You have angered the 4G63.

I'd totally pull out the crankwalk poo poo butttt..... :v: turboez

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

From Dorkroom:

neckbeard posted:

poo poo hath gone awry

Honda S2000 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Honda S2000 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Little -too- sideways :v: Seriously though, the S2000 is probably one of the more unforgiving cars I've driven once you find yourself a little too far. Kinda like the Z4M. :lol: I think that's the only car I've ever 'tankslappered' hard in.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 2, 2012

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't want to step on toes, but it's probably the best 4cyl ever sold in a production car.

That noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMyQ9XbCfss

Im a big fan on the S14 sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54xIAX3RmY

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

BlackMK4 posted:

Little -too- sideways :v: Seriously though, the S2000 is probably one of the more unforgiving cars I've driven once you find yourself a little too far. Kinda like the Z4M. :lol: I think that's the only car I've ever 'tankslappered' hard in.

I agree with everything in this post.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Source on this? I want to live in an orange geodesic future.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boat posted:

This one's better, though :nws: for language. Can't say I blame the guys though. Depleted uranium rounds the size of a soda can are no loving joke.

http://youtu.be/kkkhYg8F2og

That GAU sounds like a mad dragon

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

blk posted:

No idea where that is (I'm curious to know as well), but the car's the Ferrari 512 Modulo. An incredibly soothing video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxHcURXGlFE

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

Kurama posted:

quote:

No idea where that is (I'm curious to know as well), but the car's the Ferrari 512 Modulo.

Yeah, that's the one.

The building on the background is the Palacio de los Deportes (wikipedia article) in Mexico City. It hosted the 1986 Olympics, the photo was taken around '70.

I couldn't find any connection between the car, the designer and the venue. Probably just fitted the car very well.

More on the Palacio here: http://syr.academia.edu/LuisCastaneda/Papers/276744/Image-Machine_Felix_Candelas_Palacio_de_los_Deportes

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd totally pull out the crankwalk poo poo butttt..... :v: turboez
Pfth, the 6-bolt motor is the only 4G63 to consider here. It doesn't crankwalk.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

That GAU sounds like a mad dragon

The first comment is great, too.

quote:

when the British shoot the Taliban ducks, when the Taliban shoots the British ducks. when the Americans shoot EVERYBODY DUCKS

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Nait Sirhc posted:

Pfth, the 6-bolt motor is the only 4G63 to consider here. It doesn't crankwalk.

most 97s, 98-99 (with three piece thrust bearings) walk with the same frequency as six bolts, and the post DSM EVO blocks don't walk? :confused:

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

most 97s, 98-99 (with three piece thrust bearings) walk with the same frequency as six bolts, and the post DSM EVO blocks don't walk? :confused:

I wouldn't say 97-99 had the same frequency of crankwalking as 6-bolts. This is strictly going off of Tooners/DSMtalk posts back in 00-05, but there were a HELL of a lot of 2gb 7-bolts walking and swapping for 6-bolts. And how many 6-bolts walked? One out of every fifty thousand?

Forgot to include the pre-4B EVO motors.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BlackMK4 posted:

They close it for the Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb. It's closed in that picture.

Did not know that. Thank you for educating me.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Nait Sirhc posted:

I wouldn't say 97-99 had the same frequency of crankwalking as 6-bolts. This is strictly going off of Tooners/DSMtalk posts back in 00-05, but there were a HELL of a lot of 2gb 7-bolts walking and swapping for 6-bolts. And how many 6-bolts walked? One out of every fifty thousand?

I have never ever in my 12+ years have heard a '98+ walking, and I've heard a few 97s spinning bearings maybe a rare case of something weird, but nothing like the old 95/96s. 7 bolts get a bad rap because dsm "tooners" are idiots and everything is done with the old FSM.pdf and in some guy's garage. I have heard 6 bolts walking but you just don't notice it due to the fact that you don't have a crank sensor on the car.

Honestly, most tooners/talk poo poo is just that. Go look at the endplay spec of any old (150k+) six bolt and its probably wobbling around in there a bit.

A three piece thrust bearing 7 bolt is a better block than a 6 bolt... Hell, it's got a 1 piece main vs. the old 6 bolt 3 piece.

The EVO 4-9 7 bolt crank is the same exact thing as a Dsm 7 bolt crank. Evo 4s used to walk, but the 5-9 never had a problem because they were running the 3 piece thrust bearing by then.

I have a 6 bolt in my old car and a built 98 block in my newer car.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Nait Sirhc posted:

I seem to remember 97.5+ cars having WAY less CW issues than the mid 95 to early 97 cars. (early 95 cars had leftover 94 7 bolt blocks and therefore rarely crankwalked.) Almost all the 2gb cars that failed were 97s. The amount of cars that failed from 98-99 were in line with the average number of cars that had thrust bearing failures across all manufacturers. You just don't hear about them as much coming from non-enthusiast owners of cars that are not abused to hell and back. Sentras or Camrys would probably have serious thrust bearing issues if they had 2600 and 2900lb pressure plates installed too.

Having said that, my college roommate's stock 7 bolt ran 11's for years and never had a single hiccup. Also it was automatic. The 7 bolt engines had weaker internals, but were actually better designed than the 6 bolts. Stock, they ran less boost than 6 bolts with a smaller turbo and still made 15 more hp. I'd have zero issues modifying and racing a 7 bolt engine.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Wow, Octopus Magic, I didn't realize you were 12 yet.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Been there done that

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
A little something my buddy saw rolling around in Las Vegas today.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What is that?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Pretty sure that's a 918.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Q_res posted:

Pretty sure that's a 918.

It is. One of three running prototypes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't that the Hennessey/Lotus thing? Also, gently caress Hennessey.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jonathan posted:

Isn't that the Hennessey/Lotus thing? Also, gently caress Hennessey.

Nah, that thing is an ungainlily stretched Exige.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Definitely a 918. God drat, I'm glad to see the performance promise of hybrid drivetrains being realized in such a sexy package.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

einTier posted:

215 and Jones? Well, not an unusual area to see a Porsche in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, that one is great. I pulled the exact same poo poo. On the street. Because I used to be am a loving retard.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

einTier posted:

Yep, it's a 918. If you see a guy wearing a Porsche shirt around it. Odds are his name is Daniel. Really nice guy.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNIqxTT_mw

Chris Harris talking with some engineers about the 918. I wonder if I'm ever going to see that car live, the noise it makes is simply quite amazing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
It's neat and all, but the Carrera GT still sounds far better.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I want a gas-turbine hybrid electric car just because it would sound like a loving banshee

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

Is the cover to heat the steering wheel or is it for some other racing purpose (to stop grease or sweat getting on the wheel?)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

plecostomus posted:

Is the cover to heat the steering wheel or is it for some other racing purpose (to stop grease or sweat getting on the wheel?)

My guess would be to keep sweaty hand grease off the steering wheel. Not sure how well fancy racing wheels grip but I bet if you never touch it without gloves on it's gonna be better than the alternative.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Eh, gently caress it. Carbon everything!

It's that season. Wish I could find the Clarkson pumpkin I saw before :(

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2012

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BlackMK4 posted:

Everyone was taking that corner way too fast. There were 5 S2000s racing that day, and all but one of them spun out around that corner. All the FWD cars went through on 3 wheels:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

F1 Hovercraft Racing. I'm amazed there's not more safety gear involved, since they drift the poo poo out of these things, and they seem prone to rolling over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6YHz6YwlBo

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

red19fire posted:

F1 Hovercraft Racing. I'm amazed there's not more safety gear involved, since they drift the poo poo out of these things, and they seem prone to rolling over.

Drifting is literally the only way to change your vector on a hovercraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

red19fire posted:

That's AWESOME! It reminds me of that saying 'If it has wheels, men will race it'. Obviously, these don't have wheels, so it should be modified to 'If it has an engine, men will race it.'