Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This will never be released but Goddamn do I wish it would. If they kept in all the old sound effects and the menu-based dialog unghhhh :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

And I'll look forward to playing it in late 2016 early 2017, about the time TES: Summerset is released.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It certainly -looks- pretty. I'd still miss things like teleportation, levitation, fully customizable enchanting, and all the other Morrowind gameplay that was left behind by the sequels.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

:stare:

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 30, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Mist immediately came to mind when I saw that.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Helloooo, new desktop. Silt striders are the loving coolest.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
3.0 is out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm getting about 75k/sec so hopefully a torrent or a mirror goes up soon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was literally about to ask today if anyone had any news about it. Excellent timing.

Now if only I could pry myself away from Dark Souls to actually play Morrowind for once.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Kaubocks posted:

I was literally about to ask today if anyone had any news about it. Excellent timing.

Now if only I could pry myself away from Dark Souls to actually play Morrowind for once.

Man, if I hadn't just finished a Dark Souls playthrough the other day I don't think I'd be able to either. I wonder if there's a lot of overlap between fans of those two titles?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Al! posted:

I'm getting about 75k/sec so hopefully a torrent or a mirror goes up soon.

It says on the webpage ModDB is awaiting validation, so hopefully that will be up soon.

All you kids pigging bandwidth :argh:. But drat, it keeps the 'feel' of Morrowind, which is all I want in a High-res texture pack.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Well, the installer was still kind of buggy on my system and it still required some minor tweaking, (also apparently for an engine that old, with the modifications it can be quite a resource hog) but I'm happy with it and excited to start playing Morrowind again with these graphical improvements

And yeah, it's kind of beautiful:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad it came out now, as I'm building a new system within the next week. I find it funny that I'm getting a new system and one of the first things I'm installing on it is Morrowind.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Here be a torrent

edit, since TPB is currently down, here is a direct link

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 1, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Right, I'm going to expose my 'net foolishness', but how safe is torrenting? In this case, I can see for sure I would be torrenting a 100% legal file (thus no legal issues), but I've never had cause to torrent jack poo poo before. Any risk of viruses or the like?

Did a Google search, but all the stuff I saw was about the not-so-legal stuff.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't played Morrowind with any kind of graphical improvements before but what amazes me the most about this mod is the draw distance. I never really realized how socked in by fog and short draw distance everything is. But now I can see that, for instance, Balmora is nestled in this river valley in the shadow of these Dwarven ruins. It's almost as if the game was designed to have these long draw distances but then they had to scale it back dramatically to run on the hardware of the time.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Right, I'm going to expose my 'net foolishness', but how safe is torrenting? In this case, I can see for sure I would be torrenting a 100% legal file (thus no legal issues), but I've never had cause to torrent jack poo poo before. Any risk of viruses or the like?

Did a Google search, but all the stuff I saw was about the not-so-legal stuff.

Super safe if you trust the source, and in this case whether you do is up to you but there isn't really room for a peer to insert malicious code into a torrent as far as I know. The file you're getting is the file that was uploaded in the torrent. Just do a search for utorrent, it'll download and install in a few seconds, and click on the magnet link and you're good to go.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Download complete, running through it right now. Wasn't impressed I had to install on a 'clean' version of Morrowind, as I already had the Code Patch and such, but I decided 'what's the worst that could happen?' Did revert to the automatic background set by the Code Patch.

The installer is very nice.

EDIT: oh my god it's loving gorgeous.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 1, 2012

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Here be a torrent

edit, since TPB is currently down, here is a direct link

Neither of these links work. Are there any others?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nah that's the only one. That link should work though, maybe try clicking it on the mgso site

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I have a very powerful computer (faster that what the 3.0 presets for "Very Fast PC" recommend), and yet even when I use the "Medium PC" settings, I can't get a solid 60 FPS in the outdoor area--typically only ~45 or so.

What settings should I adjust that best would get me to 60 FPS?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So RockPaperShotgun finally found MGSO and wrote an article about it, which is making me dust off my discs for another (failed) shot at the game.

Does MGSO3 include the Morrowind unofficial patch? (And other such typically applied game refinements.)

Is there a similar compilation gameplay patch for Morrowind?

I used to like putting in Morrowind Comes Alive, The Regulars, Where Are All the Birds, NPC Schedules, and a whole host of other flavorful stuff in to make the game feel more lively. Is there a compilation of that sort of thing out there?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

doctorfrog posted:

So RockPaperShotgun finally found MGSO and wrote an article about it, which is making me dust off my discs for another (failed) shot at the game.

Does MGSO3 include the Morrowind unofficial patch? (And other such typically applied game refinements.)

Is there a similar compilation gameplay patch for Morrowind?

I used to like putting in Morrowind Comes Alive, The Regulars, Where Are All the Birds, NPC Schedules, and a whole host of other flavorful stuff in to make the game feel more lively. Is there a compilation of that sort of thing out there?

It looks like it includes the unofficial patch; version 1.6.5 according to this:http://www.ornitocopter.net/mo_wiki/index.php?title=Credits.

And a few questions of my own: Does anyone have the always plus 5 mod backed up? Seems the creator made it hidden on nexus and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

That, and I think I broke my installation of MGSO 3, and was wondering if anyone else encountered the same bug. When you teleport to Mournhold (spoilered for the few people that are just now getting into the game), does anyone else get a broken or missing mesh for a table? This was on a new installation of the game, and all I had installed was MGSO, so I don't think it was a conflict on my part. I fixed it, but I was wondering if it was just me or if anyone else had it happen.

edit: just checked on their forums, looks like it was a bug. They say they're putting up a fix soon.

Double edit: nevermind about the always plus 5 mod, I went into the construction set and remade it myself.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 2, 2012

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok so I reinstalled using MGSO 3.0 and holy poo poo is it pretty. This is really nice.

My next question is this: why the gently caress doesn't NMM work for me? I don't use it for Skyrim, but I'm trying to use it for Morrowind, if only to keep my poo poo updated, and I absolutely cannot get it to realize that I've clicked Download with Manager. It just ignores those links altogether.

That's incredibly annoying, and I don't know why it refuses to work. I'm even running it as an administrator, and yet nothing. I've tried it in Chrome, IE, and Firefox. Still nothing. I'm lost here. :(

I just want to grab Tamriel Rebuilt.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I installed MGSO3 and now everything in the game is really quiet. I have to turn my speakers up twice as loud as I normally would to hear anything at a quiet-ish volume.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This is sort of a silly question, but since I had to specify a default screenshot folder in the installation of the most recent MGSO, is there a default screenshot key? I wanted to take some ridiculous screenshots to taunt my friend who hasn't upgraded his PC in like 8 years. :downs:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DrNutt posted:

This is sort of a silly question, but since I had to specify a default screenshot folder in the installation of the most recent MGSO, is there a default screenshot key? I wanted to take some ridiculous screenshots to taunt my friend who hasn't upgraded his PC in like 8 years. :downs:

It's print screen. It took me a while to figure that out until I went "oh well, I'll just hit print screen and paste it into Paint" and then a "screenshot has been saved" message popped up. I felt pretty dumb too.

By the way I'd love to see some more screenshots of the mod.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I did disable the Lighting segment of MGO, mainly because A.) I suspect my monitor is dimming rapidly and B.) It really stuck out which areas were from a mod and which areas weren't.

Still looks gorgeous. All I wanted from a graphics mod was to not say 'that looks different'. All I say is 'that looks better'.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al! posted:

It's print screen. It took me a while to figure that out until I went "oh well, I'll just hit print screen and paste it into Paint" and then a "screenshot has been saved" message popped up. I felt pretty dumb too.

By the way I'd love to see some more screenshots of the mod.

I'll probably play more tonight and take some screenshots. I have a pretty decent rig, and with pretty much everything maxed out I'm getting 60 fps, even in outdoor areas.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Is getting MGSO 3.0 and Oggumogoggum's mod compilation working together just a matter of not installing the graphical portion of Oggumogoggum or is there anything else I need to do.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

The midweek madness has pushed Morrowind to #11 on steam's best seller list. Pretty crazy since its a 10 year old game that on sale is still $10.

The new graphic overhaul is pretty amazing looking. I'm seriously temped to dive back in. I too would like to know about mod compatibility with MGSO 3.0.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I installed MGSO 3.0 just fine, but I can't seem to get any non 4:3 resolutions to work. I have a tiny 1366x768 and would really like to be able to eke out as much screen space as possible.

What should I be doing?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

I installed MGSO 3.0 just fine, but I can't seem to get any non 4:3 resolutions to work. I have a tiny 1366x768 and would really like to be able to eke out as much screen space as possible.

What should I be doing?

Are you changing the resolution in the installer or just trying to change it in game? Because for custom resolutions you need to change it in the installer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For those asking about compatibility, I'm using MGSO with:

- All of BTB's mod edits and gameplay adjustments
- LGNPC
- Tamriel Rebuilt
- Morrowind Advanced
- One of the Sixth House Mods (forget which)

What it ends up giving you is a really huge game with tons and tons of content. Like, Tamriel Rebuilt doubles the size of the game world, Less Generic NPCs adds a bunch of gnarly NPCs and quests (most of which you can't tell from the base game), Morrowind Advance makes some changes that should have been in the game from the start, and the Sixth House mods generally add a fun amount of content to the game.

Basically, Morrowind still owns.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

MGSO is allowing me to re-discover Morrowind, as crazy as it may sound. I've probably logged over two thousand hours into Morrowind, but the experience now feels fresh once again.

If you haven't played Morrowind for any reason, this is probably the time to try, and what do you know? It's on sale on Steam for $10.

If anyone's interested, I've worked out a quick mod to increase the movement speed a solid 15% across the board. It makes playing at lower levels (especially crawling over MGSO's amazingly good scenery) much more bearable. Be warned- it does edit GMSTs, which is usually a big 'no-no' in the modding world.

Probably should have picked the Steed instead of the Warrior, but oh well!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Probably should have picked the Steed instead of the Warrior, but oh well!

I always pick the Steed in Morrowind, always, and always get speed to 100 first.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

For those of you using MGSO3, how about some screenshots? I can't download the mod myself so I'll have to settle for enjoying it vicariously.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Here's one screenie of a place we all know very, very well. Shows off the sunbeams and such.

I have hand-tweaked the distant land settings and such, and I get around a steady 30 FPS in exterior areas.

EDIT: poo poo, thought it would automatically [TIMG] it when I uploaded it with the post, and I can't find a way to destroy it through edit. My apologies to the tables.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So as someone who has never really played more than two hours total of Morrowind, what exactly is this Tamriel Rebuilt I've heard so much about? Is it something I should install right away or worth putting off until I'm familiar with the game?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kaubocks posted:

So as someone who has never really played more than two hours total of Morrowind, what exactly is this Tamriel Rebuilt I've heard so much about? Is it something I should install right away or worth putting off until I'm familiar with the game?

It's about the original game's worth of extra landmass stuffed with gameplay, taken straight from the canon world maps. It's the east part of the "ring" surrounding Vvardenfell and the inland sea it sits in.

I dunno, go hog wild I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt is a massive modding project that started way back in the days of Morrowind. I believe the team behind it tried moving the project over to Oblivion but found it unfeasible and have stuck with Morrowind. Basically, the aim of the project is to recreate each province of Tamriel in Morrowind. After years and years we've got a little less than half of Morrowind's mainland created and released, which still doubles the content of the game pretty much. It's really well done and totally worth checking out, even on a 'first' playthrough. Everything is integrated pretty seamlessly and the work is all of high quality.

efb