Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I just saw on the brown paper tickets site that Founders is charging $23 per bottle. Not looking forward to the total shitshow that this release is going to be and I'm dreading Chicago prices on this stuff.

Yeah. The hype is coming...

That said, the brewery does very little wrong and this is my kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anyone up for a Bolt Cutter meetup day?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

wattershed posted:

I got an email (once I was already at work) from "Jerry" asking me to send him the bottling code, and that he can tell me the date from the code. I'll totally forget about this for another 3 days then remember to email him back, I'm sure of it.

well Jerry is the name of the owner (maybe part owner?) I was thinking of, so yeah.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I thought Bolt Cutter had been confirmed for months? :confused:

Goddamn beer hype. My coworker already has his name on a list for bottles at half a dozen places around town. I don't even like barleywines so I'm really fighting that 'gotta catch em all' feeling here. Someone talk me out of this.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

You'll be far more satisfied by buying a 12er of your old standby than going through the stress and hassle of acquiring some fetish object you don't even know you'll like. If you do buy it and don't end up caring for it, you may even pretend you like it to justify your struggle in acquiring it and the money spent, placing you in the ranks of tickers and Beeradvocates searching for the next adjective/hype beer.

edit: you could probably TWO 12 packs of something! Think of it. Or try that certain 6 pack that's always caught your eye.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Basically, 23 dollars is a lot of money, and it's just beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Those are all excellent points. And in fact, I've still got one bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown because I had to get it because it was a Founder's limited release. And man is that beer terrible.

Thanks, you've gotten me through that brief moment of weakness.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Those are all excellent points. And in fact, I've still got one bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown because I had to get it because it was a Founder's limited release. And man is that beer terrible.
You are so, so wrong about this.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

yeah, loving hated that one and still have a bottle in the fridge. um, anybody interested?

speaking of hyped beers, drank a Surly Coffee Bender and a 2009 BCBS, both courtesy of Sirotan, last night. found the Surly decidedly... okay, but i wasn't at all impressed. it wasn't super fresh, so i was surprised at how astringent the coffee was and wonder if that's even more pronounced when it's younger. the BCBS was totally delicious, though, and certainly worthy of the praise. so rich and boozy that i wouldn't want more than an eight or ten ounce pour, but lovely to sip on at the end of the night.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Thanks, you've gotten me through that brief moment of weakness.

Thanks for reminding me I still have one too. Need to find some sucker to help me drink it...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bartolimu posted:

You are so, so wrong about this.

You want it? I'll send it to you. Really, because I will never drink it.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, loving hated that one and still have a bottle in the fridge. um, anybody interested?

I sure am! :colbert:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My bottle of Frangelic just went into my "forget this exists" box that sits in the back of my bedroom closet. Not exactly cellar conditioning but maybe I'll open it in a couple years and it won't be the worst thing they've ever brewed anymore... A friend suggested a quick trip to MI around the Bolt Cutter release. If that does happen, we'd probably like to hang with some goons.

I also downed a couple Coffee Benders last night because my girlfriend is loving awesome and ordered some Surly stuff off France44 for my birthday. Which is in December. Seriously, she's amazing... They make everything good, but I always feel their stuff needs to sit for a while to be really good. It always comes out overly carbonated.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

(Don't eat while reading this post.)

So, you know the Rogue beard-yeast beer? Yeah, that's pretty gross. But not as gross as the thought of making beer with yeast from your vagina!!!!!

quote:

Yeast is everywhere, even (as we ladies well know) buried deep inside our vaginas, waiting to go bad and ruin our week at any moment. But does that mean that we could possibly brew beer using the cause of one of our more common south of the border infections? Is "turn a yeast infection into a full-bodied IPA" the new "make lemons into lemonade?" We did some research and, in a word, no. The yeast used in beer is a completely different strain of yeast than the one that causes yeast infections. And there goes your artisanal brewery idea!

http://jezebel.com/5947058/just-so-you-know-you-cant-make-beer-from-your-vagina

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

(Don't eat while reading this post.)

So, you know the Rogue beard-yeast beer? Yeah, that's pretty gross. But not as gross as the thought of making beer with yeast from your vagina!!!!!

http://jezebel.com/5947058/just-so-you-know-you-cant-make-beer-from-your-vagina

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

img-ZeGogglesDoNothing

That's a mental image I'm not getting out of my head for a long, long time.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Dammit.

I came into here to post about how Im planning a 2 week vacation out east and am going to need advice on breweries to hit, but ugh. Now I am sad.

Well back on topic. Driving to Portsmouth, NH. I am thinking of Great Lakes, Portsmouth Brewing (Smuttynose?), Boston Beer Company, then Jolly Pumpkin and Bells on my way home for a slight detour up into MI. What else would be good through NYC -> Portsmouth? Brooklyn Brewery? Are there smaller places that I wouldnt necessarily know about along the way that are worthwhile?

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 3, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Walked 4 blocks from my house (:smugdog:) to a Victory tap takeover featuring a bunch of beers we normally don't get in CO.

I am retarded, it is next Tuesday (:saddowns:).

Consoling myself with The Meddler from Odell which is a pretty tasty sour brown.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Any goons got opinions to share about Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum? There's some at my local store, but I know this beer was brewed in first half of the year so I'm not sure it would be worth paying a premium for a mega-hopped beer when it's this old. Is it worth it or should I just go with my old buddy Two Hearted?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jmcrofts posted:

Any goons got opinions to share about Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum? There's some at my local store, but I know this beer was brewed in first half of the year so I'm not sure it would be worth paying a premium for a mega-hopped beer when it's this old. Is it worth it or should I just go with my old buddy Two Hearted?

Two Hearted is better anyway... Hoptimum is really good, but I doubt you'll get the full experience at that age.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I had no clue Southern Tier distributed in California, but while waiting to get my haircut I figured I'd check the website of everyone's favorite gouger in town, Beverages 4 Less, who were about a block away. Sometimes they are tremendously overpriced, and they've been known to sell a beer or two they purchased elsewhere, which is why I'm not entirety sure Southern Tier actually distributes here, but gently caress IT THEY HAD THAT CREME BRULEE BEER AND I BOUGHT IT

I nursed it for the last...oh, 3 hours or so. This is literally the first beer I've ever had my wife smell that she felt did NOT smell like gasoline. She's a wine gal. To me, it was so impressively spot on for what they were going for in the name. It tastes just like creme brulee, plain and simple, but also with this weird spinach-y taste that I'm more than willing to forgive. I enjoyed the poo poo out of this thing. No apologies.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
While it's interesting and I have taken that to many-o-parties where non beer drinkers were impressed by the taste, I would check your blood pressure after drinking that as you probably have the d'beties now.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm driving to Ann Arbor from the Atlanta area near the end of the month for a good friend's wedding.
I'm trying to convince a friend that's driving with me that we need to spend the day after the wedding in Grand Rapids at Founder's.
I'm hoping that he says yes.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Jack Skeleton posted:

While it's interesting and I have taken that to many-o-parties where non beer drinkers were impressed by the taste, I would check your blood pressure after drinking that as you probably have the d'beties now.

And I just got blood work done last week! Should've held off on that physical. Moved onto Indra Kunindra from Ballast Point now. Friggin fascinating beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

gently caress IT THEY HAD THAT CREME BRULEE BEER AND I BOUGHT IT

I tried Creme Brulee for the first time this week too! :hfive:

I don't really have an excuse for not trying it sooner though, because I live in their distributing area. I got a ton of toffee and vanilla flavor from it, and I'm very glad to have shared it with a friend because of how sweet it was.

I wish I could say I've tried actual creme brulee more than once, but I haven't. I definitely think they hit the nail on the head with this beer, because it did taste like the creme brulee that I tried.

Later today I'm going to go see Louis CK, and I'm taking some Stouts to share with a few friends before the show. I have DFH Bitches Brew, 3F Moloko, Beer Geek Breakfast, and a 4PK of FBS. I'm also eating at a super fancy restaurant, so I'm pretty darn excited for tonight!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RHIN0002 posted:

I'm driving to Ann Arbor from the Atlanta area near the end of the month for a good friend's wedding.
I'm trying to convince a friend that's driving with me that we need to spend the day after the wedding in Grand Rapids at Founder's.
I'm hoping that he says yes.

If you've had exposure to Founder's beers, I would check the beer list for the taproom before you bother to drive the extra two hours. Sometimes the only thing they have on tap are their common year-round offerings along with one or two weird experimental beers that have always disappointed me. (If you haven't had most of their beer then you can just ignore all that.)

Plenty of places in town to get Breakfast Stout on tap from. You should spend your extra time at Jolly Pumpkin, anyway.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Sirotan posted:

Plenty of places in town to get Breakfast Stout on tap from. You should spend your extra time at Jolly Pumpkin, anyway.
Listen to this, it is is 100% true. I'd say the trip to Grand Rapids isn't worth it for Founder's alone, but might maybe sort of be worth it if you're hitting Stella's for a burger and Hopcat.

But also don't listen to anything I say about this subject because I'm seriously thinking about going up there just for the Bolt Cutter release.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

wattershed posted:

gently caress IT THEY HAD THAT CREME BRULEE BEER AND I BOUGHT IT

I nursed it for the last...oh, 3 hours or so. This is literally the first beer I've ever had my wife smell that she felt did NOT smell like gasoline.

Yeah, I couldn't stand that beer, and it was literally the first beer I wasn't able to finish.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

global tetrahedron posted:

Yeah, I couldn't stand that beer, and it was literally the first beer I wasn't able to finish.
Same. And I'd gotten a 6 oz pour as part of a flight.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Ha! I got a 10 oz pour, that was enough.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The first time I had both De Dolle Dulle Teve and Creme Brulee was in Louisville about a year ago. I thought my teeth were gonna fall out from all the sweetness in the two. I barely got through a 6oz of the Creme Brulee and I was glad it didn't ruin my palate for the tripel.

A bunch of friends in Texas had me ship out a few bombers of Creme Brulee to them back when they came out in July. Maybe it's just a southern thing, but I haven't run into much as far as super-sweet beers like it from breweries in the area. I just say that since nearly all the people I know that love the stuff were born/raised down there.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sirotan posted:

You want it? I'll send it to you. Really, because I will never drink it.
We could probably work something out.

I got a special treat last night: 3 Floyds Bully Guppy. Apparently they release a new barrel aged beer every week in tiny quantities, and this is one of them. Had bottle 303 of 498. It's a cognac barrel aged pale wheat ale, and holy cow is it interesting. It smells like nail polish remover, nut oils, and leather. Tastes a lot like a dry Madeira or sherry, with a heavy oxidation evident (but not in a bad way). There's some honey and herb in the background as well - really complex, getting more interesting as it warms. Once it was fully at room temperature I didn't really care for it anymore, though - too much heat, with significant fusel aromas distracting from everything else going on.

I kind of want to live somewhere close enough to FFF to drive up for weekly releases. Bully Guppy is the kind of beer that would never make it in the mass market, but I love getting stuff that's so off the wall and interesting.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Sirotan posted:

If you've had exposure to Founder's beers, I would check the beer list for the taproom before you bother to drive the extra two hours. Sometimes the only thing they have on tap are their common year-round offerings along with one or two weird experimental beers that have always disappointed me. (If you haven't had most of their beer then you can just ignore all that.)

I've only had the Porter, Breakfast Stout, Dirty Bastard, and Imperial Stout.

Tell me more about this Jolly Pumpkin.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Definitely drinking some fresh Milk Stout Nitro. If you haven't had this beer you need to ASAP.

Also found a local store that has FBS for 9.99/4-pack :woop:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Ten Fidy is in Chicago. GET PUMPED.

E: Also, Hunahpu's Day announced... I'm pretty tempted.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Buy it all! That's such a stupendous price... FBS costs 11.99/4 pack everywhere around me.

It didn't exactly "fly" off shelves around here, but the stock at most stores has been depleted pretty steadily over the past two weeks or so. I'm really hoping we get another shipment in soon, so I don't have to halt my weekly 4 pack of FBS drinking!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TenaciousTomato posted:

$8.99 here :smugdog:

RHIN0002 posted:

I've only had the Porter, Breakfast Stout, Dirty Bastard, and Imperial Stout.

Tell me more about this Jolly Pumpkin.

If you like sour beers you owe it to yourself to go to the Jolly Pumpkin brewpub. They are known for their sours/wild ales, have won a slew of awards, and besides their one pumpkin beer everything they make is fantastic. La Roja has been on tap a lot recently and is great, the same with Oro de Calabaza. Bottles of everything they make is for sale in the brewpub. Food is, imho, the best you can get in town for the price. Get the Fire & Smoke pizza, you won't be disappointed.

Beer on tap from their 'sister' brewery, North Peak, can also be found on tap there. I've found them to be forgettable, you can skip them by only ordering the beers with the funky Spanish-sounding names.

When you're done you can just head up the street to Ashleys, they have the best beer selection in town. Just be prepared for it being kind of a dirty college bar with horrible horrible food (for the love of God eat at JP and not there).

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 3, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bartolimu posted:

We could probably work something out.

I got a special treat last night: 3 Floyds Bully Guppy. Apparently they release a new barrel aged beer every week in tiny quantities, and this is one of them. Had bottle 303 of 498. It's a cognac barrel aged pale wheat ale, and holy cow is it interesting. It smells like nail polish remover, nut oils, and leather. Tastes a lot like a dry Madeira or sherry, with a heavy oxidation evident (but not in a bad way). There's some honey and herb in the background as well - really complex, getting more interesting as it warms. Once it was fully at room temperature I didn't really care for it anymore, though - too much heat, with significant fusel aromas distracting from everything else going on.

I kind of want to live somewhere close enough to FFF to drive up for weekly releases. Bully Guppy is the kind of beer that would never make it in the mass market, but I love getting stuff that's so off the wall and interesting.

No you don't. Theres always a huge gamble, especially at $35 a bottle, and from what I've heard, most aren't worth it. Their first brett beer, which was $35, tasted like dish soap.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 3, 2012

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
They also had a lacto beer that ended up just tasting like pure cider vinegar, nothing else.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

They also had a lacto beer that ended up just tasting like pure cider vinegar, nothing else.

Was it http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/75320 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Not on my GABF list at all