Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iacen posted:

It seems like all the old game guys are just coming out the woodwork:
An Old-School RPG by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall!

And if you want to go really old school, Jeff McCord is kickstarting a sequel to Sword of Fargoal for the 30th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What I am taking from that Double Fine/Obsidian/InXile graph is that Wasteland fans are even crazier with their pledges than Infinity Engine fans or Grim Fansdango. I am completely all right with that.

Dragonrah posted:

The problem is, Obsidian really needs to get their stretch goals mapped out up to 4 mil. That final push won't do much if the stretch goals aren't up within enough time. Releasing one at a time won't help build up the hype.
Well, Wasteland 2 released stretch goals one at a time and that actually DID build the hype, though when the stretch goals were fan-bait like "Linux version!" "Chris Avellone joins writing team!" "Modding tools as priority!" it makes sense. Project Eternity's stretch goals are far more in-universe, which is interesting, but not as easy to hype.

Also I totally just backed Old School RPG. I am crazy, but I cannot argue with the fact that I genuinely enjoyed most of the games these people made in the past. And mercifully avoided Daikatana.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honest question: How many more old school RPGs can Kickstarter take before it gets saturated?

We've got to be getting there soon.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Iacen posted:

It seems like all the old game guys are just coming out the woodwork:
An Old-School RPG by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall!

Can't wait for the new RPG by the creators of Pettington Park on Facebook, with help from makers of 'Daikatana' and 'Playboy the Mansion'.

I kid, I kid, but they've been doing social games for forever now, I thought that's where the real money's at. I don't really get why exactly they'd need a Kickstarter.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Honest question: How many more old school RPGs can Kickstarter take before it gets saturated?

Yeah, I'm totally sick of this glut of old school RPGs. I know that a lot of people have been clamouring for more games like this for years, but 4 or 5 is enough! I hope after these games all come out we don't see any more for another decade and a half so I have time to play Dragon Age 3 and Gothic 5.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
But, mom! Old-school games killed my dog!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

Can't wait for the new RPG by the creators of Pettington Park on Facebook, with help from makers of 'Daikatana' and 'Playboy the Mansion'.

I kid, I kid, but they've been doing social games for forever now, I thought that's where the real money's at. I don't really get why exactly they'd need a Kickstarter.

Rest assured, neither Brenda Brathwaite or Tom Hall had anything to do with Daikatan at all!

Tufty posted:

Yeah, I'm totally sick of this glut of old school RPGs. I know that a lot of people have been clamouring for more games like this for years, but 4 or 5 is enough! I hope after these games all come out we don't see any more for another decade and a half so I have time to play Dragon Age 3 and Gothic 5.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm really enjoying that all these RPG projects are showing up. I feel like a lot of these old school game projects are fueled by a certain novelty factor. A "Oh my god, it's been so long since I've played one of these!" feeling can drive a lot of backers. Once that novelty goes away, can the future old school RPG projects pull in nearly as much money?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tufty posted:

Weird references considering Dragon Age 1 was hailed as a come back to old school rpg's and the Gothic series started as some as the most gently caress you hard games ever.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Davincie posted:

Weird references considering Dragon Age 1 was hailed as a come back to old school rpg's and the Gothic series started as some as the most gently caress you hard games ever.

The fact that Dragon Age 2 was a piece of poo poo and so was Gothic 4 (and I doubt the sequels to both games will be any different) makes it a really good reference.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Quick, play Frankenweenie on your 3DS to cleanse your pallet between amazing old school RPG game releases!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Weren't we having this very same conversation about space games like 3 or 4 months ago?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
See I never understand that, no one ever complains about there being too many fantasy games, but the second a few sci-fi / space games come out everyone is worried about a saturated market. I loving hate fantasy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My problem with the old school RPG pitch is I have no idea what kind of game they are making. Doublefine adventure was a similarly vague pitch but you still knew what you would be getting due to the pedigree. These folks are all over the map. Brenda is the only one who has even been involved with games I care about. If this was the spiritual successor to wizardry kickstarter I would probably be down.

I'm not sold.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

See I never understand that, no one ever complains about there being too many fantasy games, but the second a few sci-fi / space games come out everyone is worried about a saturated market. I loving hate fantasy.

Probably every fourth post in the first hundred pages of the Obsidian thread is a complaint about fantasy.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

King Burgundy posted:

My problem with the old school RPG pitch is I have no idea what kind of game they are making. Doublefine adventure was a similarly vague pitch but you still knew what you would be getting due to the pedigree. These folks are all over the map. Brenda is the only one who has even been involved with games I care about. If this was the spiritual successor to wizardry kickstarter I would probably be down.

I'm not sold.

Yeah. The whole pitch is just question marks and buzzwords.

I'd imagine they will refine it down the line when it becomes obvious that that is the issue?

Also, is it just me who finds having stretchgoals before reaching the goal a little rude? Like they are taking reaching a million for granted.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I posted this before, but it was a couple of hours before Project Eternity launched, and I guess it understandably got a bit lost :)

So, pretty pictures first:

The team behind the original pro pinball (and me!) are getting together to both bring back the old games, and start a line of new ones. The results from our test renders are looking promising, and I think it has the potential to be pretty awesome. There's free stuff to be had just for visiting the page, plus lots more shiny images.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LumberingTroll posted:

See, I don't hate "fantasy", per se. Problem is that "fantasy" almost always means Western European Medieval/Tolkien fantasy. There are so many other types of fantasy you could do. You could use other real-world cultures' mythologies. You could set it in a different era; a caveman or tribal fantasy setting could be freakin' awesome. Zeno Clash is a good example of that. Rival Threads, too. Or, hell, just don't even involve humans.

If the settings were genuinely a bit more distinctive, they wouldn't feel so repetitive.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Wolfsbane posted:

I posted this before, but it was a couple of hours before Project Eternity launched, and I guess it understandably got a bit lost :)

The team behind the original pro pinball (and me!) are getting together to both bring back the old games, and start a line of new ones. The results from our test renders are looking promising, and I think it has the potential to be pretty awesome. There's free stuff to be had just for visiting the page, plus lots more shiny images.

Man, that is a shiny image and I do love me some pinballs. Also, "ball saver" never stops being funny.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I guess I'm just a sucker for buzzwords, because Old School RPG just hit all my buttons. No, it doesn't say a lot about what the game itself is going to be like but really what I want to do is spend three hours rolling dice to create a party, wander around a grid until I fight some monsters, select how I want to kill them off a goddamn menu, promptly get killed, lather, rinse, repeat as I get a vague story parceled out piecemeal on random walls you never need to look at. I don't need to know a lot of details.

I think there's something wrong with me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mojo Jojo posted:

Also, is it just me who finds having stretchgoals before reaching the goal a little rude? Like they are taking reaching a million for granted.

Sometimes, but mainly it feels like an artifact of budget concerns and the way Kickstarter funding works. It really depends on the presentation, I think, and some of these people couldn't sell water in the desert.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Holy poo poo is that pinball table CG?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mojo Jojo posted:

It seems like stretch goals really motivate people to keep hyping the project to their friends and whatnot even after the main goal is reached. Some games hit their main goal and don't have any incentive for additional funds raised (yet) and that seems to stall out the donations.

I have no idea if this is actually true, but it seems that way to me, and obviously also to the people who want you to give them money.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

XboxPants posted:

You could set it in a different era; a caveman or tribal fantasy setting could be freakin' awesome.

King of Dragon Pass. One of the best narrative RPGs ever made.

Al! posted:

Holy poo poo is that pinball table CG?

That's what we said when we first saw it too :)

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's a drat shame that the Pro Pinball kickstarter campaign is looking pretty dire at the moment. I was blown away with how visually stunning the lighting demo was. Although I wish video game kickstarter videos would quit trying to be funny, it rarely pans out well.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I reckon Loot Drop's RPG to-be is mainly just a victim of them not thinking all the pitch details through as best as they should have given the numerous examples that came before them---should bounce back though as already the first update confirmed no-DRM outright and Linux support at 1.5 mil IIRC.

That said, I can't help but start unraveling a fanciful list in my mind of other dev outfits and otherwise that I might as well expect to see any day now since apparently the crowdfunding call has went far and wide. Flying Buffalo aiming to do it right this time with Tunnels & Trolls? Somebody doing the right thing and trying for a proper The Dark Eye RPG on IndieGoGo? Some kind of Platinum Box to gain on the old Gold Box games? There's still so many freaky corners to draw from such that it is just incredible---certainly wouldn't have seen this one coming either.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
Only one day left in my Rust Monster plush Kickstarter and I haven't crossed the finish line yet. Any last-minute advice?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Wolfsbane posted:

This looks great but the pledge tiers are confusing the hell out of me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dragonrah posted:

The problem is, Obsidian really needs to get their stretch goals mapped out up to 4 mil. That final push won't do much if the stretch goals aren't up within enough time. Releasing one at a time won't help build up the hype.

Seemed to work alright for Project Annihilation, although they hyped it up a fair bit by announcing that they had stretch goals, and at what levels, before announcing what they were.

Mikan posted:

It's working for Obsidian.

Unfortunately. I'd like to see some variety and watch these guys do something innovative but I'm not surprised to see More Generic D&D Fantasy since it's a fairly safe bet.

One of the big selling points of Project Eternity, though, is that it's fantasy, but not generic D&D/Tolkien fantasy. Which is good, because I'm sick to death of that.

Al! posted:

Yeah, the thing is FPS games with that super-crisp style of level design more or less have been lost. Even games that are supposed to be throwbacks like Painkiller or Hard Reset still tend to have very busy levels with lots of varied geometry. I'd totally be willing to put in for a kickstarter for that style of game.

What I miss isn't the lack of incidental details - I actually love it when a game has a lot of clutter - but the overall design of the levels. The best levels of that era were interconnected, looping places to explore rather than linear strings of set-pieces. I miss that, and Painkiller and Hard Reset both failed miserably on that front.

The two aren't in opposition, either - take a look at, well, everything by Looking Glass for an example of top tier level design that uses clutter to good effect to build atmosphere.

Quarex posted:

What I am taking from that Double Fine/Obsidian/InXile graph is that Wasteland fans are even crazier with their pledges than Infinity Engine fans or Grim Fansdango. I am completely all right with that.

You're reading it backwards. Project Eternity has fewer backers but more money per backer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

One of the big selling points of Project Eternity, though, is that it's fantasy, but not generic D&D/Tolkien fantasy. Which is good, because I'm sick to death of that.

I think they're trying to work both camps at the same time. Make it as D&D as they can to get all the BG and NWN fans while going "oh this is our own special and unique Obsidian take!" to lure in the fans who want non-trad fantasy.

I wish they didn't decide to play it so safe but I can't blame them. I'd probably do the same in their shoes.

ZnCu posted:

Only one day left in my Rust Monster plush Kickstarter and I haven't crossed the finish line yet. Any last-minute advice?

I don't think it's up to you at this point. Just sit and watch the numbers.

I suspect you will just about scrape by. Good luck.

EDIT: You could try the Trad Games Kickstarter thread or the Webcomics thread for advice, I suppose.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 4, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rockpapershotgun's done a Banner Saga interview. I especially like this bit about the v/a, and writing for it:

quote:

Arnie Jorgensen: Anyway, Icelandic in general is much closer to Norwegian or Danish as far as accents. So these guys are located in Iceland. Since we’re an artsy small company, we say, “We’re going to have the whole thing done in freaking Icelandic.” So we ran with that. We had them read a bunch of stuff. We sent them a paragraph and had them read it back in Icelandic. What happened was, we were sending this around to people we trusted saying, “Hey, check this out. This sounds badass. We love it.” Even people like Austin Wintory, our composer, came back and said, “Oh my gosh, this is going to be fantastic, but I actually really liked it when he was speaking English.” And it’s not so much because they can understand it, but just because his voice sounds so awesome. So this was the first thing that we were listening to. You can see, he starts in broken English and goes into Icelandic. The way he drawls is just so awesome.

Alex Thomas: We actually went back and forth a lot on that. Do we stick with the Icelandic, because it sounds amazing? Or do we do the English? I think it came down to the accessibility of the English. If we kept the Icelandic with subtitles, we really would be losing 80 percent of our audience.

Brian Mumm: You wouldn’t be looking at the animations anymore. You would be missing a lot of the visuals.

Alex Thomas: As the guy that wrote it, I do actually care if people understand what’s going on. I think we made the right decision. And the English sounds awesome, too, with the guy having an authentic accent.

Arnie Jorgensen: The way we’re doing it, we have him read the first line in Icelandic. Then we crossfade that to the English, so you know he’s actually still speaking.

Alex Thomas: The entire story is going to be dialogue-driven. Just like a BioWare game. Instead of every line having options and you quickly learn that a lot of choices don’t matter at all – they loop back to the same response – we wanted to try and keep it to one important choice per conversation.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am kind of excited about the idea of Icelandic playing an important part in a Kickstarted game. Iceland is totally the Kickstarter of modern economies. What does that mean? Shut up.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

That said, I can't help but start unraveling a fanciful list in my mind of other dev outfits and otherwise that I might as well expect to see any day now since apparently the crowdfunding call has went far and wide. Flying Buffalo aiming to do it right this time with Tunnels & Trolls? Somebody doing the right thing and trying for a proper The Dark Eye RPG on IndieGoGo? Some kind of Platinum Box to gain on the old Gold Box games? There's still so many freaky corners to draw from such that it is just incredible---certainly wouldn't have seen this one coming either.
I basically agree with you, and I think this is definitely not a market hurting for other old-school sources from which to draw (apologies to the goon with whom I had this great idea for a project to list all nostalgia-heavy relaunchable computer games from the dawn of time).

But I find it a little confusing that you list the Dark Eye as a series needing a revisiting when there have been two amazing Dark Eye CRPGs in the last five years, both about as old-school as you could possibly hope, with arcane statistics and skills and everything. Tunnels & Trolls, though, yeah, getting one single CRPG that for all its charm was possibly the most hideous game ever released did not really do it justice. Actually, maybe it did, honestly, but, you know.

Platinum Box is a pretty exciting concept. Diamond Box. Titanium Box.

(Also I do not agree that I am reading the funding charts on the last page backwards, but I also would not be upset if I were)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Quarex posted:

But I find it a little confusing that you list the Dark Eye as a series needing a revisiting when there have been two amazing Dark Eye CRPGs in the last five years, both about as old-school as you could possibly hope, with arcane statistics and skills and everything. Tunnels & Trolls, though, yeah, getting one single CRPG that for all its charm was possibly the most hideous game ever released did not really do it justice. Actually, maybe it did, honestly, but, you know.

I am glad they're just making the new game an adventure now. I am sorry, but the system in the Drakensang games sucks.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Megazver posted:

I am sorry, but the system in the Drakensang games sucks.

I have to point out that the system is faithful adaption of the PnP game, and there would have been a huge outcry from German The Dark Eye fans, which are the main audience of the game, if they would've dumbed it down.

That doesn't make it any better though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's simple, to use a skill just have to roll 3d20, subtract the first number from one stat, the second from another and so with the third, accounting for difficulty modifiers, and if your stat is too low just use some TAV points unless you run out, and if you have any TaP* points left at the end you succeeded!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, for The Dark Eye there was the part where everything unraveled, to some degree as I understand it, to publisher-troubles and whatnot resulting in it not living up to full potential as well as it now just being leveraged on a hack n' slash.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's interesting things that could be had still depending on what edition of the ruleset they draw from, at least roughly comparable to how very different the classic D&D rpgs round out within similar orientations. Besides, there was such a tremendous gap of time between the few modern titles and Realms of Arkania---though perhaps even the upcoming "less than RPG" titles for it will help stoke the embers back to something proper---if everybody can stop going bankrupt and other shenanigans...

Mainly though, it just jumps out to me as Kickstarter constituting a never-before-seen opportunity for P&P outfits to get leveraged into, say, a moderately budgeted 2D, maybe 3D if lots of clout, RPG and/or Roguelike'ish entity. There's seldom ever been a better way for a niche to communicate within itself and out to a broader audience visibily in terms of people with production talents and folks with money.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
The 'old school RPG' KS just comes off as... dodgy. Ideally a Kickstarter should be by studios with an established reputation and a clear vision for their game. The W2 Kickstarter makes me uneasy for the same reason - inXile don't exactly have a recent history of top-tier games. Double Fine and Obsidian weren't exactly clear, but they were at least happy to list off multiple games that they're trying to emulate.

Also reading through that marshmellow Kickstarter made me grin. To ask for $2,000 to make artisan marshmellows and end up with nigh-on $100k... the last few weeks must have been some of the most satisfying of that lass's life.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 4, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ZnCu posted:

Yes, stop sperging and realise that Kickstarters nearly always get huge last-day boosts. You're over the line now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Tangentially related, I just randomly happened to land on the Dominique Pamplemousse demo page (it had Indiegogo campaign) and I wasn't prepared for... that. It's kinda awesome.

What I really wanted to know, though, what music genre or style are the loops playing in the background and/or whether anyone knows of something that's buyable and similar to this because it rocks.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Please let the Homestuck Kickstarter get over $2.5 million so I can make fun of the fans when they whine about the "digital copy" of Homestuck being just a site rip with no effort at all put into it. (Or not reach $2.5 million and watch them whine for absolutely no reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Megazver posted:

I am glad they're just making the new game an adventure now. I am sorry, but the system in the Drakensang games sucks.
This post fills me with sorrow, but at the same time, I suppose I am happy for adventure game fans that they get to play something in this world as well. Aventuria is not nearly as bizarre a take on traditional fantasy as you get from Eastern European RPG companies, but I did enjoy how the German equivalent of "completely mundane fantasy world" still has its own weird quirks.

Mozi posted:

It's simple, to use a skill just have to roll 3d20, subtract the first number from one stat, the second from another and so with the third, accounting for difficulty modifiers, and if your stat is too low just use some TAV points unless you run out, and if you have any TaP* points left at the end you succeeded!
To me, you are arguing for precisely why fans of the tabletop game are crazy, not why the computer version was a bad game. It did take me a while to figure out why things succeeded or failed, but I also did not really care given how much fun the game was to actually play.

coffeetable posted:

The 'old school RPG' KS just comes off as... dodgy. Ideally a Kickstarter should be by studios with an established reputation and a clear vision for their game. The W2 Kickstarter makes me uneasy for the same reason - inXile don't exactly have a recent history of top-tier games. Double Fine and Obsidian weren't exactly clear, but they were at least happy to list off multiple games that they're trying to emulate.
If you think Wasteland 2 was a "dodgy" Kickstarter too then I am really not sure what to tell you. Try looking into an actually dodgy Kickstarter to see what they look like.

I will certainly grant that we have no idea what Old School RPG will be, but I do not think it is dodgy. I think it is just more likely that their finished product will not be as good as the other big nostalgia projects' will.

Edit: Thanks LordFrikk for linking to the Dominique Pamplemousse demo, because ... this is amazing. If all adventure games were like this, I would probably get back into them.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 4, 2012