Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Just getting round to watching the latest 'Big Fat Quiz' and my god, Noel Fielding's 'LOLrandom purple monkey dishwasher' schtick is so tired and annoying, moreso than ever. I think it's possibly the laziest comedy out there, I can't believe I was ever a fan. Pretty weak panel all round really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
^^I wish he'd gently caress off of Buzzcocks so they could have someone better as the other team captain.

Quanta posted:

So I've noticed the BBC finally dumped CJ from the Eggheads, something that was several years overdue. They've however missed an opportunity by not kicking out that dour blobfish Chris with him.

He was on it last week wasn't he? Don't they have so many Eggheads now that they've got to rotate them?

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 3, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just encountered Celebrity Juice for the first time. How and why is this poo poo on television? There is nothing of value to this at all. The host seems to be a poor man's Justin Lee Collins and I didn't think that was possible. I'm confused.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I wish Buzzcocks would gently caress off it's terrible now.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Celebrity juice, its fans tell me, is self aware and a parody of whatever it is supposed to be parodying. Sometimes I watch it and laugh, sometimes I watch it and weep. It's pretty much the most confusing show on TV. I can never tell for sure if it's serious and when I think it's a joke I have no idea what it's taking the piss of. Itself?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Celebrity Juice seems to be huge with teenagers. Not saying you have to be a teenager to enjoy it, but it seems to help.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If this drivel is satire then it makes Buzzcocks look like... loving Aesop.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Celebrity Juice seems to be huge with teenagers. Not saying you have to be a teenager to enjoy it, but it seems to help.

Everyone I know who likes it is 30+ I don't know a single person my age who likes it. It is a weird show

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Answers Me posted:

Just getting round to watching the latest 'Big Fat Quiz' and my god, Noel Fielding's 'LOLrandom purple monkey dishwasher' schtick is so tired and annoying, moreso than ever. I think it's possibly the laziest comedy out there, I can't believe I was ever a fan. Pretty weak panel all round really.

I appreciated the fact that nobody acknowledged the stupid loving hat he was wearing. You could see him growing evermore desperate for attention as the show went on and everyone continued to ignore him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

My dad likes it. He is 60.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The one thing I've seen from Celebrity Juice I've seen that actually made me laugh was Keith Lemon breaking character to tell Jedward to shut up and stop talking over him when he's trying to introduce the other guests.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Celebrity juice is the apex of the often bizarre ITV2 schedule it is both the alpha and the omega, both the katie price and the Peter andre, if you will.

ITV2 owns though just because it adds to the sheer amount of jeremy kyle you can watch in a single day, i love it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Celebrity Juice isn't a parody of anything it's just fun, stupid rubbish to watch while intoxicated. I think it's popular because it takes no mental power to watch. It's the entertainment equivalent of spoon-feeding.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Flatscan posted:

I appreciated the fact that nobody acknowledged the stupid loving hat he was wearing. You could see him growing evermore desperate for attention as the show went on and everyone continued to ignore him.

Actually I think only about ten minutes into the show he almost literally said 'hurr hurr look at this KERRAZY hat I'm wearing!:haw:'

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

ITV2 owns though just because it adds to the sheer amount of jeremy kyle you can watch in a single day, i love it.

Last summer, I worked out a method of channel hopping that meant I could watch 6 straight hours of Jeremy Kyle as a hangover cure.

I could be wrong, but I think they've changed their schedule so that's impossible now.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

Last summer, I worked out a method of channel hopping that meant I could watch 6 straight hours of Jeremy Kyle as a hangover cure.

I could be wrong, but I think they've changed their schedule so that's impossible now.

Yeah its something ludicrous like that even more when you consider it airs again at like 2 or 3 am, its an oddly effective hangover cure though. I dont think the USA version is as good, you just don't get the local connection and the incredible accents.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, you can't look at someone and instantly call them scum with the US version, they all look too normal.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flatscan posted:

I've defended Fielding in the past, but that is the past. Now it is just getting pathetic. Move on dude.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Why do I ALWAYS watch Watchdog.

It's this and Crimewatch. I watch them out of some kind of compulsion.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really liked the Boosh, and I used to find him funny. The shine's really come off since he bullied that woman into attempting suicide though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I really liked the Boosh, and I used to find him funny. The shine's really come off since he bullied that woman into attempting suicide though.

They've not done anything new in years, too. Also, Series 3 now seems sort of shite and mean spirited compared to the other two now I own the DVDs.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Is celebrity juice still sponsored by frosty jacks, the champagne of white strong cider?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm fairly certain now that all the good things about Boosh were down to Julian Barratt and season 3 turning to crap was down to Fielding's increasingly swollen head.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

goatface posted:

My dad likes it. He is 60.

Funny, that. My uncle loves it and he's getting on for 70. I think he thinks the Keith Lemon character is for real though, and he really loves the bits where Jedward get tortured in some way because he's had a grudge against them ever since he got trapped in an HMV they were visiting for half an hour because of the huge uncontrolled crowd outside that was blocking the building's exit in an attempt to... see them? Talk to them? Or whatever those screaming girls who flap their hands in front of their face have in mind to do when they actually get close to these people they're infatuated with.

I don't really care for the show, but I don't find it unpleasant to watch. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Leigh Francis, but I will always, always love the "Mel B" character.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 3, 2012

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't go to HMVs, is there really a Jedwardmania happening?
Also, is Julian Barrat active anymore, or has he embarrassedly sidled out of existence?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't go to HMVs, is there really a Jedwardmania happening?

It was about a year ago and in Dublin. I think the uncle goes in to see if there are offers on 70s TV box sets. There is indeed Jedwardmania here. Kids in these parts don't have much else :(

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 3, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, is Julian Barrat active anymore, or has he embarrassedly sidled out of existence?

He seems to be quite happily working away, he's just not whoring himself out to every quiz show under the sun.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Flatscan posted:

He seems to be quite happily working away, he's just not whoring himself out to every quiz show under the sun.

He narrated the tube documentary that was on BBC2 a few months back :3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Last I heard of him was the Government Inspector, I was wondering if there was a cache of Barret stuff I'd missed.
And the "embarrassed sidle" was a comment on his public persona, not an implied criticism, in case anyone thought otherwise.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Julian Barratt also narrates Hunderby.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of which, I rewatched all of Nathan Barley yesterday.

Sleep easy, sweet goons, for it's still amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It's trendy to poo poo on Nathan Barley, but apart from maybe being a few years too late it's brilliant.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

thehustler posted:

It's trendy to poo poo on Nathan Barley

Is it? I've never heard anything but praise from the few people who have seen it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

thehustler posted:

It's trendy to poo poo on Nathan Barley, but apart from maybe being a few years too late it's brilliant.

I think you mean a few years too early, which is why it got poo poo when it was first shown but no longer does.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Red Dwarf X tomorrow, 2100. Just caught a few promo snaps and it's horrifying how much Chris Barrie looks like someone's dad. They're so old :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Flatscan posted:

I think you mean a few years too early, which is why it got poo poo when it was first shown but no longer does.

Yeah, this is my perception of it too. Got ignored at release because the characters seemed too much of a stereotype. Then it actually happened.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ben Soosneb posted:

Is celebrity juice still sponsored by frosty jacks, the champagne of white strong cider?

Hahaa My best friend is rarely without a bottle of that battery acid. Then again, he never did make good choices (He is my best friend, after all)

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I heard a rumour that Noel Fielding is almost completely bald and that's why he's always wearings wigs and hats.

By the way, can I just say well done for no-one discussing Hotel GB. Let's keep it that way.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

spincube posted:

Red Dwarf X tomorrow, 2100. Just caught a few promo snaps and it's horrifying how much Chris Barrie looks like someone's dad. They're so old :smith:

For some of us, Red Dwarf aired when our dads were young and going outside and doing things.

Fingers crossed it'll be worth the watch.