Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Alfajor posted:

I've been trying to use Traktor, but it doesn't seem to be saving the BPM of my tracks. If I load a song, it'll scan and save it, but I want it to scan my whole library, but when I make it analyze either by folder or by selecting a bunch of songs, nothing happens. Am I missing something? :confused:

Is it just not saving them on the first time? I ask because I thought the same thing, but it was just that it didnt populate the BPM field in the browser, but next time I loaded traktor up, it was all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

As of Traktor 2.5, I've seen it be more selective about tracks having their metadata saved (including the analysis/stripe)

If you analyze the track and do nothing, it doesn't seem to save it. If you analyze it, load the track, and play it and possibly change the grid or something, it saves it when the track is unloading. Clicking the lock to protect the metadata also forces a write, this is largely what I've been doing as of late

Didn't used to be like this in any versions prior to 2.5. Kinda maddening to be honest, but I'm sure they'll fix it

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This kind of stuff is why I own Traktor but solely use Scratch Live. :c00lbert:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I think I'll just go back to VirtualDJ if I can't get it to show that info easily, even if people look down on it. It's not like I'm going to be a club DJ anyway, I'm DJing in my living room.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Alfajor posted:

I think I'll just go back to VirtualDJ if I can't get it to show that info easily, even if people look down on it. It's not like I'm going to be a club DJ anyway, I'm DJing in my living room.

But you're gonna have way way way way more fun with traktor :smith:

(I switched from VDJ+Laptop only to Traktor+Kontrol S2 in the past 6 months and it's so much fun.)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Blowdryer posted:

But you're gonna have way way way way more fun with traktor :smith:

(I switched from VDJ+Laptop only to Traktor+Kontrol S2 in the past 6 months and it's so much fun.)

I caved and brought my Mixtrack and I like DJ Intro better. I like Traktor too though and will probably use it when I buy my next controller. Which at this point is looking like at least an S2

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Does anyone here use Rekordbox? What do you think of the 2.01 update? Anyone else having the issue where you need to manually relocate some of your tunes randomly?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dopo posted:

Does anyone here use Rekordbox? What do you think of the 2.01 update? Anyone else having the issue where you need to manually relocate some of your tunes randomly?

I've had this issue for a few versions, I know the tracks are there but for some reason it loses them. Annoyingly it never remembers the waveforms either on an update so I have to re-analyse stuff.

What I do like is the fact it now pulls down the key of the tracks! I'm just running through some stuff now in order to test it all out.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

88h88 posted:

I've had this issue for a few versions, I know the tracks are there but for some reason it loses them. Annoyingly it never remembers the waveforms either on an update so I have to re-analyse stuff.

What I do like is the fact it now pulls down the key of the tracks! I'm just running through some stuff now in order to test it all out.

Yeah, the "losing locations of tracks" issue isn't new but it sure is annoying. Other than that I've been really happy with Rekordbox. I just discovered that if you have to burn CDs for a gig you can create your playlists in Rekordbox and then drag them into iTunes to burn. The last time I needed to do this I recreated the playlists in iTunes and it was a gigantic pain in the rear end. I haven't played with the key detection yet. I rarely use master tempo so I don't think it would be too useful for me most of the time.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So I went outside my bedroom last night and played for 2 hours at a party hosted at my friends house for two hours.

Turns out my Top40 is kinda lacking for house parties, but everyone was happy with the House music I played in between to keep everyone moving.

and No-one hates Gangnam Style. :colbert:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Solus posted:

and No-one hates Gangnam Style. :colbert:

Except my loving managers who come up and scream at me every time I play it while the crowd is going bonkers over it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The new gig. Sunsphere in Knoxville.

Icon ULTRA lounge.

ULTRA!!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

oredun posted:

Icon ULTRA lounge.

ULTRA!!

I believe you mean the Wigsphere :colbert:

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

oredun posted:

Icon ULTRA lounge.

ULTRA!!

Oh wow, that's awesome. I went to UTK and used to play shows somewhat regularly (as Lemon Drop Kid). Recently went back and played Midnite Voyage at the Cider House. Is the overall scene pretty good these days?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Shovelbearer posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. I went to UTK and used to play shows somewhat regularly (as Lemon Drop Kid). Recently went back and played Midnite Voyage at the Cider House. Is the overall scene pretty good these days?

The midnight voyage dudes are killing it. Im not really into that scene, I tend to stick more to residencies so i dont deal with them, but they are bringing a shitload of pretty big names to knoxville.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I believe you mean the Wigsphere :colbert:

Shhhhh! Dont tell anyone my secret to sexcellent hair!

But seriously, the first thing i asked at the interview was if they found the whigs up there or what.

oredun fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 2, 2012

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So how's about this new thing: Serato DJ

http://serato.com/dj

And the pioneer thing that's coming out with it looks like it is going to loving KILL. http://bit.ly/QHkRo1

MSRP of 1200. There must be something wrong with

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 3, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I just sold my NS6 because I never used it... mainly because the itch software was too buggy. Also for some reason I could never get used to the way the NS6 handled audio levels. I haven't seen any screen shots of Serato DJ yet, so I'm wondering if they're finally making the controller interface more Scratch Live like.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport upped their maximum price and some songs are now $2.99

In particular, in my current cart they are mostly songs that are electronica and <3 minutes in length. Really bizzare :|

Solus posted:

So how's about this new thing: Serato DJ

http://serato.com/dj

And the pioneer thing that's coming out with it looks like it is going to loving KILL. http://bit.ly/QHkRo1

MSRP of 1200. There must be something wrong with

This looks really awesome, going to consider buying one. Release date of Nov 1st

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2012

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ugh. Wasn't Beatport supposed to be the cheaper and higher quality alternative to iTunes?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

keevo posted:

Ugh. Wasn't Beatport supposed to be the cheaper and higher quality alternative to iTunes?

Was that really the original thing they were going for? That's pretty funny.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

keevo posted:

Nope. iTunes wasn't even selling a lot of EDM at that time unless it was a major label like Ultra, and digital downloads were a relatively new thing for the EDM scene.

Actually I remember seeing one of their original flyers (they are local to me), and their big deal was being the alternative to vinyl. IIRC their tagline was "There hasn't been anything this big to happen to dance music since the CDJ". I remember checking it out that night (as someone who still used to lug a huge crate of vinyl to shows), looking for some of the artists that were killing it on vinyl (I was buying a lot of gabriel and dresden, hooj, positiva etc tunes at the time, don't judge me), not seeing any of my favorite artists and thinking it would never take off. Jokes on me.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 4, 2012

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, the only time Beatport was priced equivalent to iTunes was when they sold multiple quality levels back when they first launched in 2004. They very quickly went to 320-only as I recall. They launched pretty much the same time as iTunes

Their initial label selection was poo poo but it expanded quickly

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Christmas came early today in the form of a 25% off beatport coupon. Going to save $75+ on this beatport cart.

I'd post it here for others but it's locked to my account.

Here is a 20% anyone can use: OCTMXMG

e: sorry about my previous post about the $2.99 songs, that was incorrect. 4 tracks in my cart were set to AIFF for some reason (?) which is +$1. :downs:

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2012

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The government graced my bank account with money and now I can't decide if I want a Twitch or an S2. Or if I should wait until after christmas. :smith:

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
Howdy SA DJ's. I'm selling a brand new Rane TTM 56s 4 channel mixer over in the SA-Mart. Perfect for a pro or bedroom DJ. $550 - Check it out! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510831

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
My brother in law is an up and coming DJ in the Indian/Punjabi scene. He plays at clubs across the states and in London occassionally. He also does weddings every now and again and records a lot of songs that he puts out.

He's also my secret santa this year. I was wondering what kind of things I could get him with a $100-$150 budget that may not be detrimental to his work, but would be good bang for the buck things he'd like but may not necessarily have.

I know he uses a Mac Book Pro, but that's about it. Worst case, I can subtly find out what kind of equipment he has already if it's necessary.

All the help is much appreciated!

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

You could get him a nice gig bag for that much money if he doesn't already have one. Headphones or some basic equipment would probably work too but it's hard to recommend without knowing what he currently uses. If he's releasing stuff and doing a lot of parties he probably has his own gear pretty dialed in, but depending on what format and what equipment he uses there are probably some accessories you could get him that he'd appreciate.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

If he uses a mac, maybe an extra mac book charger? I know lots of parties where an extra mac book charger would've have come in handy. That way he would always have a back-up in his gig bag in case he had to leave in a hurry and forgets his charger at home.

Then maybe a cheap gift card to some sort of local music store, so he can maybe buy a new tune. I'm the kind of DJ who likes to always have a backup-plan.

If he isn't like that, you might want to invest more in a gift-card to a local record shop. Even if he is just getting some credit for buying some CDs, it can be useful to a DJ.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Muck and Mire posted:

You could get him a nice gig bag for that much money if he doesn't already have one.

I'd also say go for this. I have this bag and while yeah it was a little pricey, I am thankful for it every time I use it. You can find their other bags for a bit less (and probably that one too), but this bag is going to outlast everything currently in it most likely.

It would be good to find out what he already has either way though, if you want to get him a bag it helps to know what all needs to fit, and if you want to get him something else it helps to know what he already has.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
After talking with his roommate about what he might need, he mentioned that his bag was falling apart and needed some repair. I found the EFX 365 for $129 which was in budget and got approval from his roommate on how awesome it is. Thanks!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Is there such a thing as a gift card to BeatPort? That'd probably go well.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Is there such a thing as a gift card to BeatPort? That'd probably go well.

That had them for a while IIRC, they stopped them for whatever reason. No clue why

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

mitztronic posted:

That had them for a while IIRC, they stopped them for whatever reason. No clue why

Fraud. Specifically people would use them to launder money from stolen credit cards

(much like gift cards at grocery stores, etc)

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

raej posted:

After talking with his roommate about what he might need, he mentioned that his bag was falling apart and needed some repair. I found the EFX 365 for $129 which was in budget and got approval from his roommate on how awesome it is. Thanks!

He is going to loving LOVE it. This is by far the best dj bag I have ever owned in 10 years, and its super comfy to wear, even when fully loaded with a shitload of heavy gear. The thing you can see so well in the pics is behind the backpack straps, are two huge pads for your back the separate in the spinal area so no pressure gets put on your spine.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Hmmm. I'm in dire need of a new DJ bag. Been using an old technics record bag which doesn't really fit all my stuff, and the velcro that keeps the flap closed is basically shot

My usual packout:
Traktor box w/ cables
Stanton Uberstand
15" Laptop / power cord
Ziplock bag full of random adaptors
Traktor X1
Sony VDR900 headphones
Small CD wallet
Small stack of vinyl (sometimes)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
That Mono bag is seriously great. My only complaint is that there isn't a ton of room for vinyl, you can't really bring a full set of records in there, it's mainly for laptop / controller DJing. Fits a VCI-300 really well, and all the gear super easy, but you can only bring a handful of records. Anyway if you don't plan on playing more than 10 records, that bag is perfect

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

You're welcome to come check my bag out anytime Mr. Slimfast.

My pack includes:

HP envy 14
Kontrol X1
Midifighter
Audio8
Vmoda headphones ( they don't fold and take up a lot of space)
Monster turbine pro golds in a pelican case
Uberstand
A shitload of cables
Microphone and mic cable
Earplugs
Flashlight
Pens, Sharpies
Candy and Gum

If you want to check it out, I'd even be down to pull all my crap and let you see if your rig fits.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 12, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Jesus. I usually roll with

13" Macbook
Macbook power
HD-25 II headphones
maybe 6 records, 2 of which are serato
Serato box (sometimes, depending on if the club has one)
A few cables

and I use this bag:

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/laptop-bags/soma.html

It works pretty well, it's not super comfortable for long periods but it's very durable. Sometimes I bring a trigger finger but not very often.

let the gear circlejerk commence

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

If you want to check it out, I'd even be down to pull all my crap and let you see if your rig fits.

May take you up on this. I like the look of the Mono bags a lot, just not sure which one best fits my needs

Probably will say gently caress it and go for the biggest bag since I always seem to be lugging a lot of crap to gigs regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
15" Asus i7 powered Laptop
2 Chargers
External Hard-drive w/ two USB cables
2 Mix CD's
Mixtrack Pro

:whatup: