Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanjuro42
Jul 23, 2006

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
I'd like to get on this swapnote stuff too.

2320-7459-5871

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I've only started watching the show like a week ago and it's really great. Thanks for all your efforts in translating this.

I watched the Street Fighter II episode first and wondered why it was so engaging to watch a guy do 5000 yoga flames in a row, but now I know. I almost wanted to skip the Zelda III episode, but I watched it yesterday and it's awesome. Gotta love Arino's interesting takes on some of the puzzles (like trying to capture the old guy in a bottle) his trademark getting stuck ridiculously long on sections that aren't that difficult, and of course the "great-moshi-moshi-tactics"-section or whatever it's called. The best part was the ending, of course :unsmith:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

Myron posted:

I've only started watching the show like a week ago and it's really great. Thanks for all your efforts in translating this.

I watched the Street Fighter II episode first and wondered why it was so engaging to watch a guy do 5000 yoga flames in a row, but now I know. I almost wanted to skip the Zelda III episode, but I watched it yesterday and it's awesome. Gotta love Arino's interesting takes on some of the puzzles (like trying to capture the old guy in a bottle) his trademark getting stuck ridiculously long on sections that aren't that difficult, and of course the "great-moshi-moshi-tactics"-section or whatever it's called. The best part was the ending, of course :unsmith:
Welcome to our little club. :)

It's actually a good thing you watched the Zelda 3 episode as one of your first episodes, because IIRC, it's generally considered a pretty weak episode due to how much of the challenge got cut out for time.

SF2 was really good, but I still kinda hate how they counted it as a failure after Arino lost the staff tournament despite the fact that he got to the end of the story mode.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Oh hey, we're doing SAGCCX 3DS codes again! I'll add everyone who's posted theirs so far. I have every Swapnote stationery if anyone is missing any and want certain ones.

2449-4791-2612

Also, I wanna take this time to thank you all once again for the awesome work you guys do! I got my DVD last night and couldn't be happier with my purchase! Everything about it is so great!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Did you find a solution to this yet?

Ripping the video is easy enough, especially since the discs aren't even encrypted with CSS. The subtitles are a bit more effort. I think I'm close, and when I sort it out, I'll put together some tips or something.

Edit: Yep, I think I've got it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

The Comix Zone ep, Retro Read-Aloud and the DVD coming out reminded me that someone here a while back asked if I translate in-game text, or use the localized text (if it does exist).

When in-game text comes up for a game that's been localized, I always check the localized script. Almost every time there's a significant enough difference between the original script and the localization for me to warrant translating the original. I figure people will be interested in seeing the difference. NES/FC games especially will have huge deviations, likely due to character limits. Sometimes the storyline is changed entirely, like Street Fighter 2010. And of course, it's better to translate it directly if Arino comments on it ("Princess Peach was captured yet again").

For Clock Tower, at first I wanted to follow the fan translation that's been circulating for years, but it didn't fit my style so I went with my own. There's especially one part in the game that involves an important note that I feel was translated inaccurately, leading to some confusion over the Clock Tower lore. I did some research in both the English and Japanese fandoms before settling with what you'll see in the DVD.

Actually, I think the only time I used the official localized script was Ninja Gaiden. It was a very direct and well-done translation. Ninja Gaiden II, however, was another matter for some reason.

To add to this there were some lines in the Koei episode where for a few of the games zari-gani wasn't familiar with the localized versions and I changed the text to reflect that. One of these was extremely close to what zari-gani had but was more awkwardly phrased (probably for the sake of the limited character set). The other of those games has a very rabid fan base that I've stepped on in the past and they can consider that change amends even though zari-gani's version made more sense. Both of these were in the collection segment so I felt relatively safe bringing them in line to the US version.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Obeast posted:

Welcome to our little club. :)

It's actually a good thing you watched the Zelda 3 episode as one of your first episodes, because IIRC, it's generally considered a pretty weak episode due to how much of the challenge got cut out for time.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to skip it, you can't really cut Zelda 3 to less than an hour without leaving out too much, but the rest of the episode was great and I know Zelda 3 in and out anyway so it wasn't so bad. It's also interesting to watch him struggle through the same sections that I had trouble with as a kid.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It's arrived at work!

While watching the extras to get myself ready!

We're going to watch some at lunch - thanks so much!!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Well my DVD came yesterday, but before I actually got it out of my mailbox a person driving to fast missed the turn I live on and ran over my mailbox and ended up in the ditch. Nobody got hurt but I guess I need to order another copy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Your way works too posted:

Well my DVD came yesterday, but before I actually got it out of my mailbox a person driving to fast missed the turn I live on and ran over my mailbox and ended up in the ditch. Nobody got hurt but I guess I need to order another copy.

Sounds like someone didn't take the time to get the good navigator in Paris-Dakar Rally.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Everyone who's gotten the DVDs so far, I'm eager to hear your opinions on it. How does it feel watching it? Does it pretty much feel like an SAGCCX release or is it a different experience? Does it do the show justice?

Random Stranger posted:

To add to this there were some lines in the Koei episode where for a few of the games zari-gani wasn't familiar with the localized versions and I changed the text to reflect that. One of these was extremely close to what zari-gani had but was more awkwardly phrased (probably for the sake of the limited character set). The other of those games has a very rabid fan base that I've stepped on in the past and they can consider that change amends even though zari-gani's version made more sense. Both of these were in the collection segment so I felt relatively safe bringing them in line to the US version.

Now I'm interested in hearing what games and the sordid history you've had with the fandom :stare:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Everyone who's gotten the DVDs so far, I'm eager to hear your opinions on it. How does it feel watching it? Does it pretty much feel like an SAGCCX release or is it a different experience? Does it do the show justice?
It feels exactly like an SAGCCX release. It's almost uncanny. It made me realize how much I've come to expect and appreciate your version of Arino, right down to the droppin' of the letters. You could cut and splice these episodes with the extra segments files and they would flow perfectly.

Anyone who has a "problem" with this release is doing themselves a huge disservice by avoiding it. The whole set is almost too good to be true when viewed in the right light. It's legitimatized SAGCCX releases we can buy and support not only Arino and the show, but your translation efforts as well.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

xamphear posted:

It feels exactly like an SAGCCX release. It's almost uncanny.

Awesome. What about the translation of on-screen text and in-game text? I know that due to technical limitations they can't do overlays...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

The good:

First off, the translation is clearly a lot better. Without even comparing accuracy (which I can't since I only know how to say "Why Game Over Mountain Baton Touch!" in Japanese), you can tell that the subtitles are written by someone who understands videogames and their terminology. So they don't read as awkwardly.

Secondly, a lot of care has been taken with this set. They restored the segments with the royal family, the on-screen text was translated, and it's a really high quality release.

Overall, it feels like you did a really good job and made a lot of good decisions.

I have some suggestions, but obviously, these are something for other people to deal with:

Episode listings! I know this isn't your department, but seriously. Why didn't they put a listing of which episodes were on which discs? Especially since this is a show that you can pick and choose from, it would have been nice to know, for instance, that five episodes were on disc 1, so that way, when I tried to show my friend the Clock Tower episode, I wouldn't have to put in two discs.

If it's possible - try to replicate the overlays that the SA-team does for their fansubs. It helps keep the screen from getting cluttered with text on top of text, even if it is in a different language. A perfect example is the screen that explains who the boss are and what their attacks are. The subtitle for what the Queen is saying is white text placed on top of white Japanese text, which makes it a little harder to read. It would look a lot nicer if they just did an overlay which replaced it with an overlay.

I understand though that they might not be able to do it. They might be forbidden from doing any kind of editing or touching up on the video, or what have you. But it would have been nice.

And the packaging: I like the graphic design, it's just the way the discs are laid out. First off, this is just me, but I hate disc-on-disc layering systems. It makes me feel like I'm going to scratch the discs, and then when you want the disc underneath, you have to take out even more discs! Secondly, given that the packaging is a fat DVD case, it would seem to make more sense to have trays on hinges, like other sets.

Really, these last two points are nitpicking, but I think it's something they should keep in mind. Because the nitpickers are the ones who make society run!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Awesome. What about the translation of on-screen text and in-game text? I know that due to technical limitations they can't do overlays...

The lack of overlays never gets in the way of enjoying the episode. It's as simple as that.

Are overlays awesome to have when downloading the encodes that Random Stranger and Gutcruncher (et. al.) produce? Totally, and that attention to detail and dedication never goes unappreciated. But the show is entirely worth watching even without having every word of on-screen text translated and overlaid (with a few exceptions for really text-heavy games).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Just for reference, DVDs can do overlays. I have a copy of 'Ghostbusters' on DVD that has a director's commentary mode with MST3K-style heads of the people commenting. I don't know the technical details, though, except that the subtitles are image overlays instead of text. (In AVISynth, you'd overlay them with VobSub instead of TextSub.)

Not that I expect this to diminish my enjoyment of the DVDs when I get them! (My shipment was slightly delayed because they tried to pull the money out of my account a day before it was actually there.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
ADV's second release of Nadesico did it too. But I imagine that's a right pain in the arse and probably not worth the extra amount of money the subtitle encoder would be wanting for doing so.

As for me, yeah, I really like the disks, Kinda annoyed there's no TV Opening (You'd figure that'd at least be an extra or something) but it's about a million times better than KOTAK ever did for the series.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Just for reference, DVDs can do overlays. I have a copy of 'Ghostbusters' on DVD that has a director's commentary mode with MST3K-style heads of the people commenting. I don't know the technical details, though, except that the subtitles are image overlays instead of text. (In AVISynth, you'd overlay them with VobSub instead of TextSub.)

DVD subtitles can only be images, the format doesn't support anything else.

Only way to do what you describe would be creative use of multi-angle, probably? That would produce other issues though

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

A DVD has two options when it comes to text overlays.

1) DVD subtitles are actually 4 color, full-screen "subpictures" that are placed over the video image. With clever execution you can implement serviceable, albeit blocky overlays in the subtitle track itself.

2) Alternate "angles". Originally envisioned as allowing the user to interactively switch between camera angles in a scene, this DVD feature is more frequently put to use to automatically and seamlessly insert the foreign language versions of shots (title cards, writing on screen, place names, credits, etc) when different languages are selected from the main menu. This requires more complex dvd authoring and pre-rendered versions of all the alternate shots to be inserted.

Nill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 3, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

My DVD just arrived! It pretty much IS just like the SAGCCX releases! My only complaint is that whenever I italicized game titles and such, the entire line ended up being italicized. Ah well. Something to keep in mind if there ever is a second set released.

Also it is super fascinating comparing the episodes that now have three different translations of three completely different styles.

(Ignore the "Merry Christmas" line -- that's a stray from the translation of the whiteboard text shown right before this scene. Arino doodled a character saying "Merry Christmas.")

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 3, 2012

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I got my DVDs today! Looks great, sounds great, very pleased with the whole thing. Congrats to those that worked so hard on making this as good as possible! Keep up the good work!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nill posted:

A DVD has two options when it comes to text overlays.

2) Alternate "angles". Originally envisioned as allowing the user to interactively switch between camera angles in a scene, this DVD feature is more frequently put to use to automatically and seamlessly insert the foreign language versions of shots (title cards, writing on screen, place names, credits, etc) when different languages are selected from the main menu. This requires more complex dvd authoring and pre-rendered versions of all the alternate shots to be inserted.
Funimation did this with thier earlier work, it allowed them to use overlay graphics on older shows such as YuYu Hakousou for infomation graphics, episode title cards, etc.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Should we change to “fireball” or stick with the original “barn?”

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 3, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Should we change to “fireball” or stick with the original “barn?”

That confused the hell out of me, specifically the part where they thought "barn" was a pun on the Japanese word for "fireball." What?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those comparisons are a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say TV-N's translations are grossly inaccurate. Even in the third comparison, with the sentence text right there written on screen, spelled out plain as day, they still can't get it right. It's downright embarrassing.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm slightly more surprised how close KOTAK got to what was actually being said.

It really speaks to how they got the dood to talk that made everyone think it was a mess.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 3, 2012

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
Thanks to this thread my new pet peeve is when "tension" isn't translated as "energy".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
My DVDs shipped out today. Gonna get stupid drunk and marathon them this weekend. That is all.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Hokuto posted:

Those comparisons are a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say TV-N's translations are grossly inaccurate. Even in the third comparison, with the sentence text right there written on screen, spelled out plain as day, they still can't get it right. It's downright embarrassing.

I'm more confused by the first row. How did TVN get "This sure requires technique" while the other two talk about getting sick? Did they just guess at what was being said?

I have to wait until Tuesday for my DVDs. :( I'm jealous of you guys.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This time out we've got one of the greatest of all the missing arcade trips. In episode 29's segments Arino goes to one of the strangest arcades that he has visited. I kind of want to check this place out

Download torrent81 (1 files; 58.71 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

zari-gani posted:

Now I'm interested in hearing what games and the sordid history you've had with the fandom :stare:

It's a game I don't like at all, I never hear anyone talking about, but apparently if you make some public statement about how terrible it was then you'll get a few hundred e-mails telling you what a monster you are.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm slightly more surprised how close KOTAK got to what was actually being said.

It really speaks to how they got the dood to talk that made everyone think it was a mess.

I'm not. Clearly they hired people who knew Japanese (or at least some people who did). The real problem there, for me at least, is that the translation is incredibly stiff. You don't have to be just like us but that just reads awkwardly...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 3, 2012

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
So, the DVD subbers were going to put Barn instead of Fireball? huhwhat? Now, I don't know Japanese. I assume some people do in here, so I have a question kinda pertaining to this. What is the Japanese words for Barn and Fireball? Preferably written in English letters if possible, what with the inability to read Japanese characters

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

JetGrind posted:

So, the DVD subbers were going to put Barn instead of Fireball? huhwhat? Now, I don't know Japanese. I assume some people do in here, so I have a question kinda pertaining to this. What is the Japanese words for Barn and Fireball? Preferably written in English letters if possible, what with the inability to read Japanese characters

Ray and I were referring to this, from the company who did subs for the Kotaku episodes: http://spiegelman.tumblr.com/post/6628599218/a-note-from-the-retro-game-master-translators

The flames in Solomon's Key are called Burn. baan = burn. Baan can also be interpreted as "barn," except the English word for barn is never used in Japanese and it's more natural to assume its "burn" since they're talking about the fire in the game (but from what I've seen, my guess is a lot of the translation was done straight off the Japanese transcripts and without watching the videos). Incidentally, TVN correctly used Burn.

Barn in Japanese: naya
Fireball in Japanese: hi no tama, or honoo (flame)

???

Random Stranger posted:

It's a game I don't like at all, I never hear anyone talking about, but apparently if you make some public statement about how terrible it was then you'll get a few hundred e-mails telling you what a monster you are.

I never knew Koei had such hardcore fans...

Silly Voodoo posted:

I'm more confused by the first row. How did TVN get "This sure requires technique" while the other two talk about getting sick? Did they just guess at what was being said?

Yes, it's guesswork.

I'd like to point out again that some of these episodes are extended director's cuts. So even if you've already watched our subs for them, it's worth re-watching for the extra scenes!

Unless you've already watched them on Kotaku. In that case, watch them again!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 3, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got something in the mail today...

It's Heiankyo Alien for the Game Boy! :woop:

Oh, and the GCCX DVD's arrived. I kind of want to watch them now but it has to wait until Friday for me...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Oh god, I'm going to keep thinking about that until I have an aneurysm. :negative:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Whoa, cool! That small arcade has a Getaway pinball machine in it. And the game Arino plays with the owner is an old Gottlieb table too.

Pinball seems to not be much of a thing in Japan, I'm kind of surprised some of the arcades in Tamage have pinball.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 3, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Thats cool, but it would be cooler if you said what it was.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

Also it is super fascinating comparing the episodes that now have three different translations of three completely different styles.

It's like the Game Center CX version of Rashomon: "No, that's not what he said!"

But yeah, the Kotaku versions just look like they are written artlessly by someone who has no understanding of videogames, which is why you get the very stiff translations with the weird word usage.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Meme Emulator posted:

Thats cool, but it would be cooler if you said what it was.

He's obviously afraid goons make up a huge portion of the rabid fanbase he describes. Seriously though, quit walking on egg shells, it's a bit annoying.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I wrote this thing on Game Center for my personal blog and I thought you guys might appreciate it. It's just some rambling but maybe you'll enjoy it. :unsmith:

I just tried to nail down the appeal of Game Center CX in a few paragraphs that I can try to point my friends at when I try to explain to them why they should watch it. I probably could have written more and I still want to, I just wanted to get this out there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
Got my copy of RGM/GCCX Collection today. Haven't watched any episodes yet as I just got off work, but I flipped the cover and noticed details on Z-G's art that I hadn't noticed before... like the name written on the back of the game cartridge.