Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I was under the impression that "the ultimate riddle" was more of a metaphorical type thing (relating to the creation of universes and all that), rather than a literal question that we just haven't heard yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Little late to see this update, but holy christ. As soon as I saw the bunny eared magician hat I burst out laughing.

Ridiculous Hat was either the best possible result, or the worst one. My money's on worst.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 3, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like ascribing intent to Skaia/Sburb (even if it's not conscious intent as we understand it) because the things fated to happen in the alpha timeline are rather specific and convoluted, so saying that all these things simply are because they are points to rather heavy-handed author fiat which I believe weakens the story. The idea that Sburb's circular creation includes the capacity to actively shape the alpha timeline to meet its needs better suits the story.

That there is something in the universe rather than nothing is already a proposition that causes people to point to a creator, but those that don't generally emphasize how uncaring and undirected the universe is as partial evidence that there is not one, the much more directed nature of Sburb strikes against that.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I thought we already knew what the Ultimate Riddle was. I remember John asking Karkat about it and being told that it was a bunch of flowery bullshit puzzles that extended all the way through the game, but the meaning behind it all ended up boiling down to "all of this was predestined and you couldn't have changed any of it", with the whole thing culminating in the players creating themselves. I'm posting from my phone so checking would be difficult, but I'm pretty sure the conversation happened somewhere around when John did the ectobiology thing (having skipped all of that stuff like some kind of master sequence-breaker)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
The tumblr post that kicked off this discussion actually cites that part. The idea it proposes is roughly that the way everything is predetermined depends very much on the characters' (especially the players') choices being what they are, which makes the players' wills the most powerful force of all; Karkat, in this reading, is just interpreting that as "ugh it's all predetermined and therefore pointless". This seems to kind of overlook the natural objection (raised e.g. by DontMockMySmock above) that everything about the players including their personalities and desires is necessarily also predetermined, but, really, there's no way to avoid going in circles like that short of not really thinking about it at all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I thought we already knew what the Ultimate Riddle was. I remember John asking Karkat about it and being told that it was a bunch of flowery bullshit puzzles that extended all the way through the game, but the meaning behind it all ended up boiling down to "all of this was predestined and you couldn't have changed any of it", with the whole thing culminating in the players creating themselves. I'm posting from my phone so checking would be difficult, but I'm pretty sure the conversation happened somewhere around when John did the ectobiology thing (having skipped all of that stuff like some kind of master sequence-breaker)

According to Karkat, the Ultimate Riddle is the session and everything about it is a time loop that begins in itself. He might have been incorrect to infer this, or the full significance may not have occurred to him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Suaimhneas posted:

The conversations we saw involved Karkat talking around the Ultimate Riddle, but never about it directly. There's a conversation gap involved: in Act 5 we see Late John talking to Early Karkat and Karkat mentions the subject, then earlier/later in Act 4 we see Early John talking to Late Karkat and Karkat picks up the thread of the earlier conversation, but if he addresses the Ultimate Riddle itself we never get to see it. In both fractions of the conversation he's just talking about the themes the Ultimate Riddle deals with, which do indeed revolve around predestination bullshit.

At any rate that tumblr post was kind of long and pointless and awful. I'm pretty sure they could have just posted one of Aranea's expo dumps and made the exact same point, which come to think of it still would have been long and pointless and awful but at least it wouldn't be duplicated effort.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, album question here. Is Colours and Mayhem: Universe B any good? I've taken a brief listen to a few tracks on it on Bandcamp, but it really doesn't seem anywhere near as amazingly great as Universe A is. (which is really amazingly great.) Are there any standout tracks on it that i missed, or is just kind of boring?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Technique posted:

So, album question here. Is Colours and Mayhem: Universe B any good? I've taken a brief listen to a few tracks on it on Bandcamp, but it really doesn't seem anywhere near as amazingly great as Universe A is. (which is really amazingly great.) Are there any standout tracks on it that i missed, or is just kind of boring?

Your brain is broken, remove it and ship it back to the manufacturer.

(The actual coloUr character themes aren't that impressive so if those were what you sampled you might be forgiven but about every second title on the additional mayhem portion is fantastic.)

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
^^^ I think your way is better but mine is cheaper.

Technique posted:

It's personally one of my favorite albums; check out Emerald Terror, Squiddle Song, and Pipeorgankind. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Technique posted:

Squiddles Song is fun and Coolkid is rad. Nothing else springs to mind offhand, but Colours B and Volume 9 have been woefully neglected so there could be some cool stuff on there that I've just missed.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Technique posted:

Universe B is My Absolute Favorite homestuck album of them all.

Edit: In regards to squiddles song, here's the artist's Tumblr. She's a pretty cool dude.

madadric fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 3, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Technique posted:

I love Universe B, even more so than A. Green Ghost, Orange Hat, Emerald Terror, Squiddle Song (:3:), Do The Windy Thing, Ohgodcat, Cupcake Girl, WV: Become the Mayor of Cans, Rustless Fall, and Pipeorgankind are all standouts. I think the only track I don't like is Coolkid. But, I mean, the whole thing is there for you to sample so you could just go through it for free first.

I think it and Vol 9 are the best albums we've ever gotten. Wait, no, that's The Felt. Well, nothing wrong with 2nd/3rd best.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 3, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I love Universe B, even more so than A. Green Ghost, Orange Hat, Emerald Terror, Squiddle Song (:3:), Do The Windy Thing, Ohgodcat, Cupcake Girl, WV: Become the Mayor of Cans, Rustless Fall, and Pipeorgankind are all standouts. I think the only track I don't like is Coolkid. But, I mean, the whole thing is there for you to sample so you could just go through it for free first.

I think it and Vol 9 are the best albums we've ever gotten.

Yeah, i COULD just listen to the entire album on Bandcamp, but i'm too lazy, and also can't spare too much time that could be used to play Stress and Scourge Sisters on repeat, forever. Definitely going to check out some of the songs you guys listed though, and give it a second chance.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Green Ghost, Orchid Horror, Pendulum, Pale Rapture, Pilot Light, Do the Windy Thing, Battle Brotocol, Coolkid, Clockstopper, Rustless Fall, and Pipeorgankind all made it a must-buy for me, but the others are pretty good too.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I play Rustless Fall way too much, if such a thing is possible.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
How many straight hours of Homsetuck music are there, now?

Ninja edit: Sburban Jungle is still the best song hands down and I will knife fight you if you disagree. :colbert:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Only counting stuff released on the main Bandcamp page, I believe it passed 24 hours with the release of OYO.

(All the HS-related stuff I have comes to well over 30 hours, but that includes things like the Jailbreak album and LOFAM.)

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ninja edit: Sburban Jungle is still the best song hands down and I will knife fight you if you disagree. :colbert:

This guy.

This guy knows the score!

Also, looks like we've got 24 hours left on the kickstarter. Will $300,000 be collectively pledged in that time? Lets find out!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Clockstopper is amazing, and the one reason I bought that album. Not that there wasn't other good ones. Right now I'm going through album 9 more, and I'm noticing that some of the songs I didn't like are pretty good. Like trepidation and another jungle.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

MyFaceBeHi posted:

This guy.

This guy knows the score!

Also, looks like we've got 24 hours left on the kickstarter. Will $300,000 be collectively pledged in that time? Lets find out!

Do we know if the next week of Paypal donations will count towards the stretch goals? I don't think we can make it otherwise...

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I pledged $25, but I'm tempted to bump that to $80 now. I really love the idea of a digital copy of Homestuck. I understand why Andrew chose to put it in book form, but a digital copy just makes so much more sense to me. If the paypal donation period counts towards these goals, then I think we might make it. There's been a spike in pledges these past several days too.

Man, if the MSPA FUNPAK included a physical copy of the game, I'd just breakdown and buy that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The tumblr post that kicked off this discussion actually cites that part. The idea it proposes is roughly that the way everything is predetermined depends very much on the characters' (especially the players') choices being what they are, which makes the players' wills the most powerful force of all; Karkat, in this reading, is just interpreting that as "ugh it's all predetermined and therefore pointless". This seems to kind of overlook the natural objection (raised e.g. by DontMockMySmock above) that everything about the players including their personalities and desires is necessarily also predetermined, but, really, there's no way to avoid going in circles like that short of not really thinking about it at all.

It is worth remembering that, yeah. The timeline has to write itself around the characters they're dealing with, presenting opportunities they'll respond to. Bec had to be prototyped, and Vriska is the type who would interpret the situation and make the 'necessary' move to ensure he is, but if it had been Tavros at the controls he probably wouldn't have responded to that reasoning so the timeline would have to be rewritten to present the situation in a way that'd work for him (like his confusion around Jade's grandpa).

There are some characters like Aradia who are absolute fatalists and do whatever they're told, timeline wise, so in turn they get really arbitrary and direct instructions that benefit Sburb and Lord English (those dependent on arbitrary poo poo happening in order to exist). This makes Aradia really dangerous since it's in her personality to just join Lord English directly since he's the one calling the alpha timeline shots. A character like John or Karkat however shows more willingness to struggle against the seemingly impossible or supposedly fated, so they only contribute to how things are "supposed" to play out by accident. Rose was so dangerous because she thought she'd figured everything out but that just meant she was the easiest to manipulate.

Probably one of the most interesting single topics in the whole comic, actually. I'd love to just sit around and yak on about each character and their understanding of time and fate and how that's impacted how they act in the story but I get the impression it's not that popular a topic in the thread unless something's just happened.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Dolash posted:

Probably one of the most interesting single topics in the whole comic, actually. I'd love to just sit around and yak on about each character and their understanding of time and fate and how that's impacted how they act in the story but I get the impression it's not that popular a topic in the thread unless something's just happened.

Hey, I like this stuff, but then again, I found Aranea's conversations very interesting.

Also, The kickstarter has passed Planatary Anniliation to become the 7th most funded kickstarter of all time.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 3, 2012

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I am far more tempted than I should be to upgrade my SNOUTPAK pledge to an ALLPAK pledge. Mostly for the tarot deck.

Yes, I am aware of how incredibly stupid that is. I still want it.

(Basically everyone should be chipping in $15, though, since good game or no it'll still be worth getting for the writing alone and it'll only get more expensive if you wait.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you're that torn, just straight-up switch to the Seerpak, because if anyone in a 30 mile radius of Andrew Hussie has any business sense at all there will be snouts for sale some time after the Kickstarter. The all-in-one pack is tempting, but it's more than my drat rent.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YggiDee posted:

If you're that torn, just straight-up switch to the Seerpak, because if anyone in a 30 mile radius of Andrew Hussie has any business sense at all there will be snouts for sale some time after the Kickstarter. The all-in-one pack is tempting, but it's more than my drat rent.
I'm banking on this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I swear, if those Midnight Crew playing cards and tarot cards don't go up for sale on their own at some point, I am going to take up my lovely sword and swear vengeance. On someone.

I have a weakness for awesome cards but the current price is just a little bit too rich for my taste.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

JT Jag posted:

I swear, if those Midnight Crew playing cards and tarot cards don't go up for sale on their own at some point, I am going to take up my lovely sword and swear vengeance. On someone.

I have a weakness for awesome cards but the current price is just a little bit too rich for my taste.

ditto

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

re: Colours B chat: No love for Cyan Beast? That's probably one of my favorites of that album.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's not that I don't love Cyan Beast, but rather that I also love every single other track. Side B is amazing.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

HalfHazard posted:

re: Colours B chat: No love for Cyan Beast? That's probably one of my favorites of that album.

Cyan Beast is pretty great, yeah. I love the time signature change. :shobon:

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 4, 2012

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

JT Jag posted:

I caved and ended up going halfsies on the Seerpack with a friend. $70~ bucks for a tarot deck and tote bag seemed a tad easier to justify than $155 for the whole package. (With that said, no, I am not particularly proud of my decision :shepface:)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I caved and got the Seerpak because I see very little chance of the tarot decks ever being sold in the store, considering how many artists contributed to it. The MC pack of cards Hussie could hustle easily and without having to compensate a dozen plus people with each sale and worrying about art rights and whatnot, which would be very tedious to do for the tarot deck. Also the Derse tshirt is awesome (and it looks like I will be getting the tshirt from the snoutpak I went half in on). My boyfriend and I have come to the conclusion that we cannot buy each other Christmas presents because we essentially just bought all of them and threw our money at Hussie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I caved and got the Seerpak because I see very little chance of the tarot decks ever being sold in the store, considering how many artists contributed to it. The MC pack of cards Hussie could hustle easily and without having to compensate a dozen plus people with each sale and worrying about art rights and whatnot

They already deal with that for the albums.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Tunicate posted:

They already deal with that for the albums.

Yeah, but on the one hand with the albums you have art that's pretty much incidental to the total product (we buy the albums for the music, not the album and track art, though it certainly helps), and on the other hand with the tarot deck art that is the reason why anyone wants them in the first place. That's a bit slipperier of a situation.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oh, yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 4, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yeah, but on the one hand with the albums you have art that's pretty much incidental to the total product (we buy the albums for the music, not the album and track art, though it certainly helps), and on the other hand with the tarot deck art that is the reason why anyone wants them in the first place. That's a bit slipperier of a situation.

My point is, they have to split up the income a dozen ways between the musicians anyway.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Technique posted:

I feel the exact opposite. I thought A was mostly dull and overwrought while B was the stronger album. I really liked the tracks for the B universe kids. Pale Rapture was great, Do The Windy Thing could have been great but I feel like it ended way too early. Phantasmic Youngsters is a joy to listen to and there are plenty of other good tracks but I'm already talking about this too much. If I had one real complaint it's that Ohgodcat around 1:30 to 2:00 really really sounds like "Angel is a Centerfold" by J. Geil's Band. Every time I hear that it just sticks out at me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Although I will admit I'm biased toward Universe A for obvious reasons, I think Universe B does a much better job of capturing the eclectic, a-song-for-every-genre feel of the post-Volume 5 Homestuck albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Yeah, eclectic, that's a good way to describe it. I like that B kind of meanders from fully natural sounding instruments to 8-bit sounding stuff. I was overly harsh when I called A overwrought, but I just feel like it doesn't have a lot of range. That being said there were tracks that I enjoyed. I really liked it when Hussie put Fichsia Ruler into Meena's walkaround because that one really stood out.