Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The finest Manhattans I've ever had are Rittenhouse, Dolin Rouge, and Angostura, 2:1:dash, stirred with an orange twist. You cannot imagine how delicious they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Oddly enough, I've had that same exact combo at a local bar and I can honestly say that it was loving Fantastic.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

NightConqueror posted:

Good man. I remember graduating from coke + bourbon to ice + bourbon then to water + whisky, and boy what a difference. While some people may like ice, if you're really in it to savor some of the flavor you have to have it room temp. Cold kills flavor.

Also, all this talk about Rittenhouse makes me want to go out and buy a bottle and whip up some manhattans this weekend.

How much water do you add? I saw a "how to drink scotch" video some master distiller made, I forget the distillery but it was an oddball guy who throw much scotch on the ground, but he seemed to add a lot of water. He said he added enough to dilute it to 30% to get the most amount of flavor. I've been following this personally.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Midorka posted:

How much water do you add? I saw a "how to drink scotch" video some master distiller made, I forget the distillery but it was an oddball guy who throw much scotch on the ground, but he seemed to add a lot of water. He said he added enough to dilute it to 30% to get the most amount of flavor. I've been following this personally.

I'm still torn on the whole dilution thing. I seem to enjoy sipping 80-110 proof whiskey straight, but when I add more than a couple of drops it just tastes completely different and...watered down way beyond how much water I actually put in it. I may have to try it again with some scotch instead of bourbon to see if that is any different.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Midorka posted:

Depends on the strength of the spirit. With a 100 proof bourbon, I might add 1-1.5 teaspoons. Just enough to help calm the alcohol vapors. If I'm drinking something cask strength, I might add up to 1 to 2 tablespoons. The trick is to add enough to help open up the aromas and flavors without drowning it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Some whiskies will take water far better than others, the ABV can be an indication but is by no means a rule on how much water it will take before collapsing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It really does depend on the Whisky. I feel personally a Islay malt takes water a lot better than a Speyside for example. The general rule is to get the ABV of what's in your glass down to ~40%. But there's no right or wrong answer here, it's your Whisky so do whatever you like to it. Often I like to drink something neat then after about half the glass add a touch of water to open it out a bit.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
For the Lagavulin fans here I recommend trying this if you spot a bottle anywhere.

The specifics are not listed but by smell and taste I'd say it's definitely much younger than the standard 16 year old expression, making the two fun to compare side by side. A bit more saline, burning and kelp-like, but still a wonderful Lagavulin.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
For the bourbon dilution I've been taking it by ear, if I can smell alcohol I usually add a little more.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
If you can smell with your ears you've had too much bourbon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Midorka posted:

I just want to observe that that was a joke video.

The other night I tried some Yamazaki 12 because I wanted to see about this whole Japanese whisky thing and man that was some pear-heavy aroma. It was tasty, very light compared to all the Islays I've been drinking. I suspect this is pretty much an entry-level Japanese, right? Anything else I should look for?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kenning posted:

I just want to observe that that was a joke video.

The other night I tried some Yamazaki 12 because I wanted to see about this whole Japanese whisky thing and man that was some pear-heavy aroma. It was tasty, very light compared to all the Islays I've been drinking. I suspect this is pretty much an entry-level Japanese, right? Anything else I should look for?

This is the video I'm talking about, I don't think it's a joke. I just see a very eccentric enthusiast.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Midorka posted:

This is the video I'm talking about, I don't think it's a joke. I just see a very eccentric enthusiast.

That's Richard Paterson. Pretty much the top man at Whyte & Mackay. Normally seen extolling the virtues of some ridiculously priced old Dalmore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's definitely a joke video, and it's loving hilarious.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Upon further inspection, he does that "throw it on the floor" thing in every single video, so I'm not really sure where to draw the line on when he's hamming it up and when he's entirely serious. The advice he's giving seems real enough, though. That terrifying statue in the background of the second half of the video is something else, though.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Kenning posted:

The Hakushu 12 is excellent. It's a one-note whisky but the note is well sustained and has a zen-like character. The 18 year old is more oaky, rounded and has developed other flavours but it's unfortunately also really expensive. I found the Yoichi 10 enjoyable but don't know how it ages as I've not tried the older ones. Miyagikou 15's peppery bite was a rather unpleasant surprise and out of the three mentioned made the least favourable impression on me. If you're into blended stuff the Hibiki 12 is rather nice and priced below any of the single malts mentioned above.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 4, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Jetfire posted:

Upon further inspection, he does that "throw it on the floor" thing in every single video, so I'm not really sure where to draw the line on when he's hamming it up and when he's entirely serious. The advice he's giving seems real enough, though. That terrifying statue in the background of the second half of the video is something else, though.

He's out of his mind if he think I'm going to be my tossing whisky on the floor.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

It's definitely a joke video, and it's loving hilarious.
It's not a joke. Like Biglads pointed out, it's Richard "The Nose" Paterson and he's one of the top blenders in the industry. He's more of a PR man now because of his extroverted demeanor and antics, but he's a great person to talk to and is a regular on the whiskey/spirits expo tour.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Look he's clearly a serious whisky expert, that's evident from the video, but if you don't realize that at least 60% of that video is a dead-panned schtick about whisky culture you're out of your mind. The whole bit about the temperature of the water from 1:11 on is hilarious and absurd.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Sorry, but Richard Paterson blends whisky that goes for 160 grand a bottle. He may be eccentric, but he is definitely not joking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh Jesus Christ.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kenning posted:

Oh Jesus Christ.

I don't know if you meant, "Oh Jesus Christ, I can't believe you believe he's serious," or "Oh Jesus Christ, he is serious?" Either way, leaving open/vague responses really doesn't help the thread, I guess I'm not either by responding, but I'll add content here.

I drank some Bakers last night and while I thought it was rough at first, I really enjoy it now. It's definitely a bolder bourbon than most I've had.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
New to whiskey here. Went to the store yesterday day and saw a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year (As recommended by this thread) for about $45 and picked it up on a whim, had to leave town later that day I I'm leaving it in my closet until this Sunday. Hope I'll enjoy my first whiskey experience!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Paterson's presentation is cleary ridiculous, but as mentioned before the basic advice is sound. You could try swirling 1 tsp of whiskey in the glass and then throw it in the sink instead of on the floor, obviously. You should probably be cognizant of the temperature of the water you add, and make sure that the bartender knows you want cold/tepid water to add. The rest is him being silly/memorable that makes him a good presenter.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's what I mean. He's got some good information in there, but that's obviously a video for people who already know a bit about whisky. It's primarily entertaining rather than informative. He has other videos where he explains things a bit more and isn't totally mad, but that's not one I would suggest a whisky newcomer start with. Because it's a joke.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.
So I've been given a bottle of Dewar's White Label (I'm almost positive it has been sitting in a closet for many, many years). A quick google search has informed me that I am dealing with a rather low quality whiskey. Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I safe to assume the best way to drink this is mixed with soda or in a cocktail?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Calling it a joke is misleading, though, because it implies that the advice is bad. It's almost entirely good advice.

Dewar's White Label is a perfectly serviceable blended scotch for drinking with soda, or making into Whisky Smashes, on a hot day. It's, well, not at all better than just serviceable, however.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hubbins posted:

So I've been given a bottle of Dewar's White Label (I'm almost positive it has been sitting in a closet for many, many years). A quick google search has informed me that I am dealing with a rather low quality whiskey. Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I safe to assume the best way to drink this is mixed with soda or in a cocktail?

Depends on how old it is. If it's a legit 70's bottle or something or will be much better than today's version. (And it may be worth some money even.) If it's not, then give it a go neat anyway, you may like it.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
What's wrong with a bottle of jack daniels?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

happy cabbage posted:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Jack Daniels. However you will find many quality bourbons, ryes and even other Tennessee whiskeys can be had for the same price or even less than JD.

There's a lot of people out there who only ever drink Jack Daniels or Johnnie Walker Black Label or whatever. My only issue with this is they are missing out on the potential discovery of a whisk(e)y they might like even better.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I work at a liquor store and we get many of those "I've been drinking Jack for 30 years," types. I once suggested, "well isn't it time to try something new?" That was the first and last time ever.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just got some WT101 at a wal mart, they don't sell that over in Europe. Hopefully the bottle will survive the plane trip. :ohdear:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Midorka posted:

I work at a liquor store and we get many of those "I've been drinking Jack for 30 years," types. I once suggested, "well isn't it time to try something new?" That was the first and last time ever.

Some people get in a groove and like it; others branch out and experiment. I like Jack fine "When the weather gets rough and it's whiskey in the shade," as Tom Waits says, but I would never lay in a stock and drink that forever. There's too much interesting stuff out there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

happy cabbage posted:

Pretty much what was said. I don't think there's anything much wrong with Jack. I drink it from time to time. But just as you wouldn't eat chilli every day you wouldn't drink the same drink everyday. I have a wide range of whiskies ,and gins etc, so that I've always got something interesting to drink.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How's the Jim Beam Rye? I confess I'm a newbie when it comes to Whisky, but for some reason I have a really big desire to try Rye. Unfortunately Jim Beam Rye is the only Rye Whisky that is available to me (in the state owned alcohol chain :sweden::ussr:) that isn't like expensive as hell. The Jim Beam is 44 bucks. Worth a try or should I pass?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, Beam rye is fine but not THAT good. That's soooooo much money man. I dunno dude, I've begun to wonder if Europeans should even care about American whiskey because it seems like it costs an insane amount over there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I know. It kinda sucks, but I have to comfort myself that the $75/L of 100% ethanol tax (excluding additional 25% VAT) goes to pay for good stuff....

I looked up what it'd cost me to import a High West Double rye (since it wasn't that expensive in the online shop). ~$90. Yay.

How different are Rye's from a malt whisky?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

I know. It kinda sucks, but I have to comfort myself that the $75/L of 100% ethanol tax (excluding additional 25% VAT) goes to pay for good stuff....

I looked up what it'd cost me to import a High West Double rye (since it wasn't that expensive in the online shop). ~$90. Yay.

How different are Rye's from a malt whisky?

I was going to say I'd had that and enjoyed it, but I had High West Rendezvous Rye instead, which isn't actually the same. But from what I tell they're making some pretty good blends while waiting for their own stock to age up properly. I just can't be bothered to pay what they want for unaged whiskey.

Rye's more easily compared to bourbon than malt whiskey, just since the process is overall the same other than the base grain mixture. Like a bourbon you've got the aging in new charred oak so there's the caramel and vanilla from the wood, but rye is drier and spicier compared to the sweeter corn that dominates in bourbon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rye and malt whisky are only both known as whisk(e)y by an accident of linguistics. The difference between at least 51% rye mashbill distilled to 160 proof aged in never-before-used charred white oak barrels for 3 years and bottled at no less than 80 proof and mostly malted barley mashbill usually dried with peat and aged 3 years or more in some barrel, maybe bourbon, maybe sherry cask, is substantial. Rye and malt whisky (i.e. Scotch, or in rare cases, Irish) are only passingly similar.

If it were 4 months ago and Rittenhouse were still available I'd offer to ship you a bottle myself. I'll drop by the specialty spirits store tomorrow and see if they have any in stock – if available, maybe we could work out a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow, I looked up Rittenhouse and it seem like it gets very good reviews everywhere and is cheap. Seems awesome.
I appreciate your offer, but I'm afraid that even through a package marked as a gift I'll be stuck with excise + VAT if the customs get hold of it. I think the cheapest way to get it would be to wait until (whenever that is) I go to the UK and visit. A bottle there is £30.

Edit:

Killer robot posted:

I was going to say I'd had that and enjoyed it, but I had High West Rendezvous Rye instead, which isn't actually the same. But from what I tell they're making some pretty good blends while waiting for their own stock to age up properly. I just can't be bothered to pay what they want for unaged whiskey.

Rye's more easily compared to bourbon than malt whiskey, just since the process is overall the same other than the base grain mixture. Like a bourbon you've got the aging in new charred oak so there's the caramel and vanilla from the wood, but rye is drier and spicier compared to the sweeter corn that dominates in bourbon.

Ah, that's interesting. I might give a bourbon a shot as well then. Thanks!
Of the goon recommended in the OP I can get Four Roses Bourbon and Four Roses Small Batch. So there's a start. Not that expensive (relative to where I'm from). Wild Turkey 81 proof is also available at a slightly higher price ($45).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 7, 2012