Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't been paying attention... have they said anything about local split-screen, or letting players play locally with one person using the TV and one person using the gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It's completely compatible with the 3DS version. Save data can be shared.
It has all the 3DS's extra DL missions pre-installed.
It has online multiplay with other Wii U players, and local multiplay (one Wii U + max three 3DS).

I think I'm going to make some very silly spending decisions if this ever comes out in America. Maybe with everybody owning a gamepad, everybody will have voice as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Both versions have already been confirmed for an international release - March 23, off the top of my head.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't been paying attention... have they said anything about local split-screen, or letting players play locally with one person using the TV and one person using the gamepad?

The local split screen arena was really fun on MH3 but I don't care if they leave it out.

Local multiplayer is a tiny "Oh, neat!" feature, online multiplayer is a must. Nintendo (and ubisoft) seem to have this thinking cap on backwards judging by their releases on the U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is Monster Hunter just basically world of warcraft with anime? What's the big deal about it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Is Monster Hunter just basically world of warcraft with anime? What's the big deal about it?

HAHAHAHAHAHA no. This is Monster Hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSca95ZfnwE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Not even close. It's a co-operative action game about hunting giant beasts and crafting their remains into clothing and gear, with a focus on player skill rather than grinding or loot drops or any of that garbage. I guess you could put it somewhere between Demons Souls and Phantasy Star Online, or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA no. This is Monster Hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSca95ZfnwE

That looked incredibly like WoW with a larger mob and larger swords.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

Have you even ever played WoW before?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

greatn posted:

I am so confused right now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

Have you even ever played WoW before?

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

greatn posted:

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

Assuming you aren't trolling, Monster Hunter is very much an action game. There are no experience points or skill trees or anything like that. It is all gear, items and player skill. The there are no spells/skills with cool downs, it is more like an action game with large sets of moves. You can bring in items that will help you with the hunt, such as traps or flash bombs. The monsters are very believable and have their own moods and desires, they will get angry, scared, hungry and tired and act differently depending on that. The action is very tight and not what you would find in an MMO.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

Then you're either trolling or you remember jackshit about WoW.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

One thing that stands out about gear in Monster Hunter is that equipable items are always bought or crafted. You will never randomly get weapons or armor from drops, everything you use is specifically made from parts of monsters. You can recognise what gear people are using based on the monster it resembles. Each piece of armor has skill points that will give different buffs or debuffs, so customising that along with weapons is how you build characters. It is very free form and allows you to create specific builds to fight different monsters without being locked down any path.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

Back in 2006-2007, yeah.

In MH, you have direct, 1:1 control over your character. In WoW (and pretty much every other MMO), you have cool downs for every action you perform.

They are nothing alike.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

You walked into the wrong saloon, son.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zenintrude posted:

In MH, you have direct, 1:1 control over your character. In WoW (and pretty much every other MMO), you have cool downs for every action you perform.

They are nothing alike.

Well from the video you can't tell it's direct input. The similar low camera angle and similar style of walk up to enemy and exchange blows makes it look similar. I'd argue the long attack and recovery animations are a "cooldown" but it isn't a literal blue bar for sure.

What is the quest structure like, or is there a story?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Well from the video you can't tell it's direct input. The similar low camera angle and similar style of walk up to enemy and exchange blows makes it look similar. I'd argue the long attack and recovery animations are a "cooldown" but it isn't a literal blue bar for sure.

What is the quest structure like, or is there a story?

Is the only game you've ever played WoW or something? You can tell right away there's direct input and dodging.

I don't mean to be rude but :psyduck:

Also there is no story beyond "go hunt monsters" (this is largely a good thing) and the quest structure is a list of monsters you can hunt.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 4, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sorry I don't think your boring looking game looks all that interesting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

No-one's asking you to like it, but it'd be nice if you could at least comprehend what you're watching.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Good trolling dude.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

For some reason, Monster Hunter is really popular on SA. I found it to be mostly a boring, grindy game, but of course YMMV.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No-one's asking you to like it, but it'd be nice if you could at least comprehend what you're watching.

Especially from a software engineer that lists one of his main interests as games.

You'd think his ability to analyse things from looking at them would be up to snuff.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Iacen posted:

For some reason, Monster Hunter is really popular on SA. I found it to be mostly a boring, grindy game, but of course YMMV.

Oh yes, MH is DEFINITELY grindy as gently caress when you're a completionist. To give an example there's a dragon in the game (Rathalos) which has an exceedingly rare material drop that is needed to craft a piece of his (standard, not + rank) armor set. I killed Rathalos 36 times before the motherfucking rear end in a top hat finally dropped it.

That said, I didn't NEED that piece of armor. In fact you don't really NEED anything in the game 'sides a good weapon, which comparatively ask you for very few crafting materials, almost to the point where the game is just asking "Have you beaten this monster yet? Then you're cool to use this hammer."

There are bajillions of youtube videos of people taking on end-game online bosses naked and unbuffed, and still killing them in good time, because just like with Dark Souls the main thing that matters is your skill level and your ability to analyze attack patterns.

EDIT: A really great way to describe the series to someone who's never heard of it is "You know how you can co-op bosses in Dark Souls? It's like someone made a game where you do nothing but co-op Dark Souls-esque bosses only the mood is light-hearted and the boss fights are polished to a mirror shine, and there's a fuckton of bosses." It fits because the game is frankly loving hard to the point where it turns people off just like DkS.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 4, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I love MH because it provides me with action combat battles that feel incredibly epic and challenging. Some other games provide this feeling as well, but nothing feels quite like MH imo. That game feels unique to me. Whether or not one likes the unique aspects is going to differ from person to person, but that can be said about most games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got the demo for Monster Hunter Tri back when that came out on Wii, and immediately became trapped in a hell of perpetual stunlock. It did not make me interested to learn more.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I got the demo for Monster Hunter Tri back when that came out on Wii, and immediately became trapped in a hell of perpetual stunlock. It did not make me interested to learn more.

There are very few (late game) bosses that can trap you that way, and when they do it's usually because you hosed up big-time.

As I said the game is difficult, just like Demon/Dark souls. Some people are going to get stuck on the Taurus demon forever and call it a lovely game, others will push on through and love the feeling of accomplishment. MH is not for everyone, it's for people who love a challenge and love completing games 100%.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Where controls in the Souls games felt deliberate and precise, Monster Hunter (Tri at least) struck me as clumsy. I can't quite put my finger on why, since both put an emphasis on character animation. Part of it might be the size of the weapons. Monster Hunter has you lugging enormous swords and swinging in exaggerated arcs, which somehow doesn't match up to that style of input in my mind.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Where controls in the Souls games felt deliberate and precise, Monster Hunter (Tri at least) struck me as clumsy. I can't quite put my finger on why, since both put an emphasis on character animation. Part of it might be the size of the weapons. Monster Hunter has you lugging enormous swords and swinging in exaggerated arcs, which somehow doesn't match up to that style of input in my mind.

There's a few light/medium weapons in the game that attack very quickly. The thing is there's a huge emphasis on balance.

If the monsters have to wind-down after big attacks, you do too. You can't just roll/block out of anything like in God of War or Darksiders 2. It's super forgiving with the sword n' board, hammer, or lance, but the slower weapons need to take advantage of attack windows with precision, or you'll get smacked around mid-recovery.

Also, to me, MHTri had super tight, responsive controls and movement. I tried to play Dragon's Dogma and the game just felt sluggish and sloppy to me. Forced AI co-op was also annoying as hell. When will developers learn that this is always a bad idea? If the AI is bad, they're a burden. If the AI is good, they're doing all the cool poo poo that I'm supposed to be doing.

vvvvvv Believe it or not, when you swing a heavy weapon, you can't immediately twitch the weapon in the other direction. There's such a thing as momentum. Dear lord why am I still responding to you?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 4, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So just to be clear you have to recover from attacking, but there isn't any cooldowns.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I dunno, I always found the Souls games to be sloppy with execution - I'd frequently do additional rolls or attacks when I hadn't intended on doing so.

I've heard the exaggerated animations were a consequence of needing the game to work with PS2-era netcode, which would explain a lot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just a butt posted:

I've heard the exaggerated animations were a consequence of needing the game to work with PS2-era netcode, which would explain a lot.

I love the exaggerated animations and the subtle humor of the game, overall. Your hunter getting terrified and running Jackie-Chan style when in the sights of a monster, taking big chugs of a healing potion and then striking a strong-man pose, roasting meat in the field to the tune of country music while your pet cat runs around frantically.

Your pet cat.

EDIT: It'd be so cool if a partner could split-screen co-op as ChaCha. You'd only be able to do a basic stun attack, buff/heal the player slightly, and tank the occasional attack. It would be the best Girlfriend Mode™ option since Mario Galaxy's second pointer.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

I'm not a big MH fan either (tried 2 on the PSP and 3 on the Wii, found them pretty boring) but you gotta recognize that its massive success isn't because it's a WoW clone. So, stop being purposefully obtuse and keep your opinions nobody asked for to yourself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

I'm not a big MH fan either (tried 2 on the PSP and 3 on the Wii, found them pretty boring) but you gotta recognize that its massive success isn't because it's a WoW clone. So, stop being purposefully obtuse and keep your opinions nobody asked for to yourself.

Let it be noted that while I thought it looked boring, my original thinking that it looked similar to WoW was not intended as either an insult or a complement. I honestly wanted to know the deal, and the video looked similar to me, and previous summaries I had read made multiple comparisons. There's nothing wrong with that, and I was quite surprised by the negative reaction. I would be inclined to think a WoW clone appealing to more eastern gamers would actually be quite successful, though I'm perfectly willing to take every one's word this isn't one.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

As I said the game is difficult, just like Demon/Dark souls. Some people are going to get stuck on the Taurus demon forever and call it a lovely game, others will push on through and love the feeling of accomplishment. MH is not for everyone, it's for people who love a challenge and love completing games 100%.

That's all cool and stuff, however (and note that I am completely impartial here; MH isn't my genre), you'd have more success getting someone to accept your opinion if your argument wasn't based on the player either passing some arbitrary skill barrier (and thus liking it) or being too bad at the game (and thus not liking it). It comes off as unnecessarily elitist; I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't enjoy the game even though they wouldn't flail around at the first boss forever.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Katana Gomai posted:

That's all cool and stuff, however (and note that I am completely impartial here; MH isn't my genre), you'd have more success getting someone to accept your opinion if your argument wasn't based on the player either passing some arbitrary skill barrier (and thus liking it) or being too bad at the game (and thus not liking it). It comes off as unnecessarily elitist; I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't enjoy the game even though they wouldn't flail around at the first boss forever.

People think its elitist, but it's not, the arbitrary skill barrier in some games is by design. People who flail at the first boss and aren't capable are by definition not in the MH demographic. Its the same thing with other games in other niche genres: SHMUPS, fighting games, Dark Souls, etc. The game is designed for a certain type of audience, and the people not in that audience aren't going to be capable.

That said, it is elitist to think thats the ONLY reason people don't like the game. MH has some seriously stupid poo poo and outdated mechanics in it: zone walls, horrible item use animations, horrible story, and a terrible difficulty curve which new players experience, it can be summed up as - brain dead easy, brain dead easy, brain dead easy, HOLY poo poo, return the game.

It also doesn't help that some of the mechanics in the game are just foreign or anathema to western audiences in general (boss freeze, having to time potion use, bees paralyzing you, and invincibility frames on dives).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

I didn't mean it to sound that way. Some people genuinely don't like games that take dedication and time to complete properly.

Monster hunter is super punishing and is, honestly, just skill-wall after skill-wall and this can exhaust a lot of people. Late game bosses can usually make sure your first mistake is also your last.

Some would call this a challenge, other would call this arcade-difficulty style unnecessary padding to lengthen the game.

I for example, can't stand complex fighting games or MMOs that demand you memorize a laundry list of commands and stuff before you can play proper. I'm not a bad person, and the people that push through that barrier are not bad people, it's just that it's their thing and not mine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wouldn't it be better to place such a barrier later in the game and ease up to it, so more people could play and thus buy the game? I immediately hit the barrier you're talking about in Gears of War for instance, such that I couldn't consider buying it, though co op where my friend did all the work was still fun. Uncharted though, which had a similar barrier for me, I didn't hit til about halfway through. Enough that by the time I grew frustrated, I had at least bought it and played a good deal.

Yeah, I suck at cover shooters. Except Mass Effect which is really easy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Wouldn't it be better to place such a barrier later in the game and ease up to it, so more people could play and thus buy the game?

The first three bosses in Tri aren't anything the average person can't handle and they do a good job of easing you up to the fights and introducing elements one at a time.

The first is just a larger version of mobs you've been killing and has like two attacks with huge tells. The second also has limited attacks and does silly things that leaves it open, but introduces you to monsters that can fly and escape fights, so you can learn how to track them. The third introduces you to underwater fighting, as well as a genuinely aggressive monster that doesn't give you tons of free hits via taunts/funny dancing.

The barroth, though, is loving hard as poo poo and is regarded by many players as the first real fight. Even fighting it now with my end-game skills I gently caress up sometimes and die. MH has big ugly difficulty spikes but it's not at the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

greatn posted:

So just to be clear you have to recover from attacking, but there isn't any cooldowns.

Yeah it's bullshit isn't it? Devil May Cry pulls that poo poo too, I've been trying to tell people that game's a WoW clone for years but everyone just looks at me funny. The evidence is there people!!

• Locked thread