Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Well, somebody ate their favorite vine into submission, so it's gone outside to rejuvenate and regrow some. I took a cutting and have it soaking in water right now to try and start a second vine up so I can just swap out plants as he ravages them.

It was looking really bare and he was pretty unhappy with losing a cage plant, so I swung by Lowes and wound up finding a nice fat schefflera tree on the clearance table for $5! Needs a serious pruning but it's got nice thick branches and bushiness. I gave it a serious washing with the hose first, of course.

He's up in the corner being all pissed off about things changing. He soon decided it was worth a shot and seems to like it alright now:

We're a lot better on the fear and aggression front, he no longer instantly turns brown and hisses when I open the cage door to feed him. Still no dice on the hand- or tong-feeding but(!) he will start eating in front of me as soon as the crickets hit the cage. He'll even eat if he knows good and well that I'm staring straight at him now, which is great. Poops are nice and solid like a monster tic-tac and plain white urates, no wateriness or yellow gunk. There's a small bit of non-white stuff at an end of the urates but it doesn't reek disproportionately or give off any other overt signs of illness. There's less than there was in previous leavings as far as I can tell too so I assume it indicates things are trending towards better health.

His coloration is a lot better now on average too! He had a real tendency towards being brownish most all the time (even while sleeping) in the beginning but that's starting to fade and he's looking more like this(even when I walk into the room or open the door):

Though this is still a pretty common sight the moment that cage door opens:

(cue giving me the stink-eye from his pothos shortly after)

I do have some concerns that hopefully somebody can help me remedy: I've been told by other keepers that having his yellow stripes out all the time means he's showing stress, and that if he wasn't stressed out he'd basically be that lime green color all over(excepting the permanent horizontal dark stripe right above the belly region).

I have never, ever seen a picture of an adult veiled male that didn't have his stripes out or was plain, solid lime green. The females yes, but literally every male photo I've looked at has bright solid stripes out even when they seem to be well at ease. I tried searching for "veiled chameleon stress colors" and permutations on that but am coming up empty-handed.

I know the dark spots inside the stripes(i.e. the first photo) mean he's pissed off but is it true that any stripes being shown off basically mean he's unhappy? While I am working against a long history of poor conditions/conditioning and would reasonably expect him to get cranky when any of us are around, I can sneak a photo of him after it's been totally dark for several hours and he's definitely asleep, and those stripes are bright and defined with a nice lime green all over the rest of the body, which is what makes me doubt this particular piece of advice.

I worry about him and whether I'm giving good care or not, I'd hate to have taken him from bad care and then provide just slightly less crappy care due to ignorance on my part.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, bonus pic of his first shed with me:

DON'T LOOK AT ME I'M HIDEOUS!

edit: I've seen other cham keepers recommend the warm water shower thing every other week or so to help keep them hydrated, is that something I should try with him or is it asking for trouble? He seems to have no trouble chowing down on the fattest leaves he can find and drinks for me reasonably often(I'll also cheat and put a quick spray into his mouth sometimes if he gapes at me) so I don't think he's having any real trouble with hydration, but if it's something that will be a definite plus then I'll start with the lizard showers. I picked up a 5 1/2 foot dracaena off the clearance table as well that would be ideal for doing showers with.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Holy crap, he looks great! You are doing a fantastic job with him! Those aren't stress colors, they are gorgeous adult male colors and he is getting them because of the superb care he is receiving with you. His leavings sound fine, he is drinking and eating for you, and it is totally normal for veileds to be pretty pissy, especially as adults so don't take that personally. He clearly is comfortable with you and sees you as his source of good stuff if he is eating with you there, showing those colors, and drinking easily. Just keep it up and he will probably hand feed for you eventually.

As far as showers go, I suggest them depending on the animal. Some stress too much for it to be worth doing, some need it to stay properly hydrated. Veileds can go either way but it is worth trying a few times to see if he picks it up. It is an especially good opportunity for them to clean their eyes out.

That new scheff can easily be split up if you choose to; just get the pot off and work the root balls apart gently with running water. You can then repot them however you want; I find that a little pot with 4 main stalks fills two big cham cages nicely when repotted. They are really hardy and you can pull them apart and trim them up a bit for better coverage and spacing. They coincidentally make great bonsai plants if you want to do some hobby inception.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

Pew! Pew! posted:

ZarathustraFollower: I like them more aesthetically. I know that's a really dumb reason but I adore the way pythons look; have for a long while.

Ball pythons are great little guys. They're really good couch potato snakes. Occasionally I will have mine out while I'm watching TV/playing PS3 and she's either just hanging out on my legs or sticking her face between the joysticks on the controller :3: I love her dopey little peanut head. Balls are notoriously picky eaters, so echoing what others have said, try and find one that is already established on F/T rodents. Safer and more cost effective! I was able to nab 25 frozen small rats for $30-35 at the last reptile show I went to. I have to feed my ball inside a plastic shoebox, because otherwise she gets distracted by...something and won't eat. The box makes her focus on the prey :downs:

I would also like to point out that Rosy Boas are great first snakes. I've wanted one since I was 12 and finally was able to obtain one and she's completely hilarious and very personable. She does have a tendency to think I'm her dinner on feeding days though, which leads to some entertaining mouthing on her part (more surprising than painful, but she's never gotten me very well because I pay attention to her behavior during feeding time).

Cowslips Warren, I know you have/breed Kenyans. Do you have any size reference pictures for a full grown male next to a full grown female? My google-fu is apparently broken. Also, do you notice any difference in temperament between males and females? My gut says there shouldn't be, but I've only had female snakes due to coincidence, and am looking to pick up a male sand boa (due to my perception of their size difference in relation to females) and figured I'd ask.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Joonami posted:

Cowslips Warren, I know you have/breed Kenyans. Do you have any size reference pictures for a full grown male next to a full grown female? My google-fu is apparently broken. Also, do you notice any difference in temperament between males and females? My gut says there shouldn't be, but I've only had female snakes due to coincidence, and am looking to pick up a male sand boa (due to my perception of their size difference in relation to females) and figured I'd ask.

Not as such, I can post some pics of mine this weekend if that would help. I do know that one of my females was sold to me as a male, as she's pretty slender, but she gave birth several times and is a girl for sure. The other female is huge, wide, and always looks pregnant. The two adult males are under 2 feet long and are much thinner.

My albino male (I hate the term albino, I have yet to see red eyes on any 'albino' sand boa) is very nippy, but they all go through that, I think. He was not handled by his first owner much but his future anery girlfriends, daughters of my two females above, are pretty chill even without frequent handling.

Where are you getting your male from? Most good herp stores can pop the snakes for you, same as at reptile shows. The latter especially; no one wants to be known as the guy who sexed his snakes wrong.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not as such, I can post some pics of mine this weekend if that would help. I do know that one of my females was sold to me as a male, as she's pretty slender, but she gave birth several times and is a girl for sure. The other female is huge, wide, and always looks pregnant. The two adult males are under 2 feet long and are much thinner.

My albino male (I hate the term albino, I have yet to see red eyes on any 'albino' sand boa) is very nippy, but they all go through that, I think. He was not handled by his first owner much but his future anery girlfriends, daughters of my two females above, are pretty chill even without frequent handling.

Where are you getting your male from? Most good herp stores can pop the snakes for you, same as at reptile shows. The latter especially; no one wants to be known as the guy who sexed his snakes wrong.

The reason I was looking for a comparison shot of full grown adults is because I think the big girthy adult females look, well, ridiculous. :shobon: I know male snakes in general are smaller so I was hoping it would look less silly. It's just that I've seen pictures of pairings where the male looks TINY compared to the mom to be, but I know that males sexually mature before females and I have no concept of an adult male size. I have no interest in breeding, it's just an aesthetics thing for me. Also it would mean a smaller cage which would be good for my apartment.

I was planning on picking one up from sandboamorphs.com when I go to the Orlando Repticon show in December. I can't decide on the morph I want, but I think either a high orange or high yellow of some kind. Nippy just means it has a good prey drive, right? Considering my anery female that died in july was anorexic, that sounds tolerable to me, haha.

Everything else aside, I would very much appreciate it if you could post some comparison shots of yours. :)

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

50 Southern toads arrived in the mail a few minutes ago for me. The hognose took one about 2 minutes after I put it in the cage, and is getting it down now. Going to run out and buy some fruit flies and pinhead crickets to feed the rest.

They should more than last till March I hope, and probably come November I'll work on getting pinkies into his diet too.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I just found out that one of our zoo volunteers is actually going through the same thing right now; good luck. He just got some pinkies today to start trying with his.

Curator took a donated 90 gallon and made it into a nice turtle tank for two male red ears. Will post again when its finished.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

50 Southern toads arrived in the mail a few minutes ago for me. The hognose took one about 2 minutes after I put it in the cage, and is getting it down now. Going to run out and buy some fruit flies and pinhead crickets to feed the rest.

They should more than last till March I hope, and probably come November I'll work on getting pinkies into his diet too.

Give them deep, moist substrate and a very shallow water dish and they should do fine. They're going to eat a LOT though, toads are gluttons.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I've got the group in a 15G with a water bowl filled with rocks and moss to keep crickets and smaller toads from drowning taking up 1/3 of the tank. The substrate is half a brick of coconut fiber, a bag of moss, and then a leaf litter layer on top. I just got done dropping ~60 small crickets in and saw a few eating. Tomorrow the local place should get more fruitflies in, and I'm going to place an order for several hundred XS and S crickets next Tuesday.

Unprofessional that's a really nice tank. If the volunteer needs toads, tell them to contact Mark Lucas. He ended up giving me a really good deal on the toads, and threw in extra. Plus, he got them shipped out the day after I paid.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have most of a garbage bag filled with pesticide free Oak leaves. They're about two years old, but still perfectly fine. I'm not using them anymore. If anyone needs dry Oak leaves, let me know and I'll figure out what I'd have to charge for shipping (plus a couple of dollars extra because I'll have to get someone to drive me to the post office). I can probably cram about half of them into the boxes I have available, or all of them into a bigger box.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Congrats on the shipment of toads. Keep us posted on the hog's progress.

If or when you attempt to switch him to pinks, offer a toad first followed by a scented pink as he finishes. I've had good success getting tricky feeders to take scented after they've had their preferred meal. Their feeding frenzy makes them less scrutinizing, such that a scented pink falls into the "Eh, close enough!" category for chowing.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Congrats on the shipment of toads. Keep us posted on the hog's progress.

If or when you attempt to switch him to pinks, offer a toad first followed by a scented pink as he finishes. I've had good success getting tricky feeders to take scented after they've had their preferred meal. Their feeding frenzy makes them less scrutinizing, such that a scented pink falls into the "Eh, close enough!" category for chowing.

Do this, but also try feeding it a f/t toad as well. If it will take f/t, there won't be such a rush to switch it to pinks, and it will be more convenient than keeping a colony of toads fed.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
So I was able to do a bit of a behind the scenes tour of some of the exhibits at the Henry Doorly Zoo because the Nebraska Herpetological Society was having a symposium this weekend. We first went to the amphibian conservation center, I don't have any pics of that but there wasn't much to see. It's no open to the public because everything is super quarantined. They had 9 different species with some even extinct in the wild. We also got a tour of the Desert Dome and the Kingdoms of the Night. We got to go in one of the hot rooms, it was so cool. Here are some pics, I can't remember all the species and some of them aren't reptiles but whatever.

Turtles in the swamp

More turtles :3:

Big-rear end alligator snapping turtle. Tour guide said he would mount and try to mate with the alligators.

The lights are normally off during the day, but it was 9pm at night so they had the lights on.

Some kind of gecko

Snake

This sulcata tortoise will put himself in that box to sleep at night. :3:

Green tree boa in the hot room (yes, it's not venomous but not everything in there was)

Snake in the hot room, this one is venomous but I can't remember what it was called.

Baby frilled lizards.

Just a shot from the top of one of the 'rocks'. It was right next to where the hyraxes used to be.

Another shot looking down.

Snake <3

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Slinky Weasel posted:

Some kind of gecko.
Pretty sure that's a Leafy Tail. They're pretty neat but I haven't seen them in any pet stores around here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Any Tucson goons going to the show tomorrow? I'll be the goon in the bright red rooster shirt.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Slinky Weasel posted:

Snake in the hot room, this one is venomous but I can't remember what it was called.

Snake <3

Awesome tour! That's cool they took you behind the scenes. Many moons ago I took a behind-the-scenes tour at the National Zoo in DC, part of the FONZ (Friends Of the Nat'l Zoo) Night perks. I was on cloud 9 touring those facilities.

The hot appears to be a Cantil, a Central American species related to N. American cottonmouths.

The last animal seems to be an Everglades Rat Snake, which I only point out since I keep them. Awesome animals.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Any Tucson goons going to the show tomorrow? I'll be the goon in the bright red rooster shirt.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I intended to avoid it, so as to not bring anything home, which I inevitably will, especially if there are any wiry rear-fangers. But given that there's only one show in Tucson per year, it's impossible to pass up all the same.

We got a baby crested last year who is now convinced she's a velociraptor. And two pairs of gray banded kings.

I'll be visiting the AZ Herp. Assoc. booth to meet the AHA president and some folks there, as I may be joining their volunteer hotline for crote removals/relocations in this neck of the woods, er, desert. Given that's what I pretty much do anyway.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
y'all having fun without me. Why isn't there more Southeast goons?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I used to be a TX goon, but then the whole 'graduation' and 'moving' thing. If I end up able to go down herping in the South again like I want to. I'll totally bug you to a goon herping day.

Oh, how often should baby toads be fed? Is every other day alright? I've given them a bunch of crickets, and those lasted about a day (This was Thursday) and added a few fruit flies Friday (the colony is fresh, and not yet breeding.) Planning on doing more crickets Sunday with a bulk order of them coming in Tuesday.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
Anyone going to the reptile show in Atlanta next weekend? The husband and I are thinking about going on Saturday.

(Someone mentioned Southeast... :-) )

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
One of my geckos has an eye issue I am not sure about. I will be taking him to the vet as soon as possible, but of course I discover this on a Saturday when I can't do much beyond seperating him into a quarantine tank. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? I am hoping it is from a scrape with his mate, but it could be an infection or something else worse.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

VotGs posted:

Anyone going to the reptile show in Atlanta next weekend? The husband and I are thinking about going on Saturday.

I won't make that show, but I try to make it to the Charleston and Colombia shows.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
I will be going to my first reptile show tomorrow, is it rude to try to haggle down a price? Also, males are usually priced lower, right?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

VotGs posted:

I might consider going. I just sent a PM to someone selling some frogs I want, but if they're not still available, I might weigh into whether it's worth the 3+ hour drive to Atlanta or not.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Everybody from work's goin' to Tinley Park, but I just don't have the money for it this year. :(

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Slinky Weasel posted:

I will be going to my first reptile show tomorrow, is it rude to try to haggle down a price? Also, males are usually priced lower, right?

Haggling is fine and expected at a show, just don't be insulting and you'll probably come away with a good deal. Just be prepared to walk away if you can't get something you want for what you consider a fair price.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

OneTwentySix posted:

I might consider going. I just sent a PM to someone selling some frogs I want, but if they're not still available, I might weigh into whether it's worth the 3+ hour drive to Atlanta or not.

Yeah, we're driving out of Columbus ourselves. Lemme know if you do go, it'd be cool to meet up with reptile people. :-)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Males do tend to be cheaper, yes.

Tucson was pretty nice; will post pics later tonight. The AHA had a ton of loving cobras behind a Do Not Cross line, so no photos of them. Nice gators and caimans. Ken The Bug Guy had some nice poo poo too, but no hottentota scorpions.

One thing I can say about shows: have cash. CASH. My mom found a loving awesome female albino ball (now I'm worried she has something wrong with her, though the seller said he needed to make room for his piebalds and albinos aren't his thing, but she has bred and brooded before) adult for $600, and I found, at the same table, a nice albino hognose male for $200. We went to buy them and....bam, card declined.

Try again. There's maybe 400 in charges on the card and its limit tops out very high. Bam. Declined. Had to leave the hognose behind for the nice girl, which turned out for the best as a vendor was waiting in line to buy her.

Cowslips' mom did get a smoking deal on the girl. And really I don't need another hognose; breeding an albino to a standard won't give me super cool babies. ....plus really I have years to go before they breed if they ever do, and I want to concentrate on my milks and balls.

There was a table that had Pakistani, black Russians, and Arabian sand boas all priced under $400 each, all adults. But the vendor didn't know much about them, only guessed that they were long-term captive. No sand boas for me. There were some drat awesome pretty Chinese Cave Geckos (think black leopard geckos) but again, the vendor knew poo poo all about them.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I think haggling is pretty kosher at most shows as long as you're not a dick about it. Vendors come to shows to unload, but they're looking to make a decent profit on top of breaking even with table fees and gas, so as long as you're not lowballing beyond the realm of reason, a certain amount of price droppage is usually accepted, especially if the vendor has a lot of stock to move or the price is particularly high. Be prepared to accept if someone's unwilling to move from a set price, because people have a right to value their stock as high as they want (just depends on finding someone to pay it) and always be willing to cave and pay table price if you're really really set on that animal, or you may have a bad experience.

And yes, cash is a must. The lines for ATMs are berserk and most vendors will insist on cash.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I got my beardie for $45 at a show when he was listed as $75. I pulled out all of the cash in my wallet and the seller saw me come up short. He said since I already showed him a picture of my set up, minus a beardie, he knew Oscar was going to the right home. I send him pictures when he asks for updates, it's very cool. My long-winded point is, yes, they will sometimes come down in price.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Another good way is to make it look like you'll spend more if they lower their price a bit. Cut off 10% percent at $200, etc. (Always let them offer the discount; they might go higher than you'd ask for). As a seller (not at shows, though), I'm generally more receptive to discounts when they're taking a bunch off my hands, especially if it includes something that isn't selling well. Make it sound like you want to buy only a bit, but will buy more with the discount.

For example, "I'd like to buy the pair ($100), but would you give me a discount at $200?" vs. "I want to buy this ($200). Can I get a discount?"

You'll also get better deals closer to the end of the show, since people don't want to bring stuff back with them, and they're running out of time to sell. I saw someone get a really good deal this way on some snakes last year. The risk here, of course, is losing the animals to someone else.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

Another good way is to make it look like you'll spend more if they lower their price a bit. Cut off 10% percent at $200, etc. (Always let them offer the discount; they might go higher than you'd ask for). As a seller (not at shows, though), I'm generally more receptive to discounts when they're taking a bunch off my hands, especially if it includes something that isn't selling well. Make it sound like you want to buy only a bit, but will buy more with the discount.

For example, "I'd like to buy the pair ($100), but would you give me a discount at $200?" vs. "I want to buy this ($200). Can I get a discount?"

You'll also get better deals closer to the end of the show, since people don't want to bring stuff back with them, and they're running out of time to sell. I saw someone get a really good deal this way on some snakes last year. The risk here, of course, is losing the animals to someone else.

Also, waiting for the end of the last day works really well... I bought a $400 pair of snakes for $120 once like that.

Whoa, OneTwentySix, we have exactly the same number of posts... how weird that I'd even look. If I were stoned or something, this would be amazing.

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 7, 2012

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Males do tend to be cheaper, yes.

Tucson was pretty nice; will post pics later tonight. The AHA had a ton of loving cobras behind a Do Not Cross line, so no photos of them. Nice gators and caimans. Ken The Bug Guy had some nice poo poo too, but no hottentota scorpions.

One thing I can say about shows: have cash. CASH. My mom found a loving awesome female albino ball (now I'm worried she has something wrong with her, though the seller said he needed to make room for his piebalds and albinos aren't his thing, but she has bred and brooded before) adult for $600, and I found, at the same table, a nice albino hognose male for $200. We went to buy them and....bam, card declined.

Try again. There's maybe 400 in charges on the card and its limit tops out very high. Bam. Declined. Had to leave the hognose behind for the nice girl, which turned out for the best as a vendor was waiting in line to buy her.

Cowslips' mom did get a smoking deal on the girl. And really I don't need another hognose; breeding an albino to a standard won't give me super cool babies. ....plus really I have years to go before they breed if they ever do, and I want to concentrate on my milks and balls.

There was a table that had Pakistani, black Russians, and Arabian sand boas all priced under $400 each, all adults. But the vendor didn't know much about them, only guessed that they were long-term captive. No sand boas for me. There were some drat awesome pretty Chinese Cave Geckos (think black leopard geckos) but again, the vendor knew poo poo all about them.

Sorry I missed you, CowslipsWarren. I was a bit shellshocked by the volume of folks, as I arrived with the early rush. I didn't get anything today, but am heading back tomorrow. There were some terrific prices on Green Tree Pythons complete with setups. I saw those hogs too, and mulled them for a bit. The albino was pretty sweet.

I saw other folks having inexplicable card issues. I think the on-site connection was having issues. Last year, power cut out for 3 hours on the 2nd day of the show. Carrying cash, I got some sick deals on 2 cages while power was out.

I think it was the Phx Herp Society way in the back with the cobras. The AHA was back and to the right with a line of Neodesha cages showcasing only AZ natives, as that's the AHA's focus. Of the two orgs, my inclination is to support the AHA. The Phx Herp Society has some pretty questionable practices on their record (i.e. last year a hotline volunteer poured gas into the ground on a rescue to flush out an atrox! This was showcased a local news report! Now god knows how many folks in Phx are pouring gas into the ground to repel rattlesnakes!).

Which is why I opened communications with the AHA. I found a patternless atrox several years ago, but had no one to take it in. I wasn't about to take in an atrox, as they seldom tame down in captivity and are rather fond of pumping ungodly volumes of hemotoxins into careless keepers. But in talking with the AHA president, they are equipped to take on such tempermental, yet unique animals.

My tigers, in contrast, dart into any hide offered. On cleaning days, it's a Midwest bagging system. They dart right in as if it's routine. Bag goes into locking bucket. Nobody rattles, strikes nor bites, cage gets cleaned, water changed, bedding refreshed, zero confrontation, everybody wins!

Crotalus atrox -- the "atrox" is unsurprisingly (to those familiar with the animal) derived from the root that gives us "atrocious." It's pretty fitting. They can be fairly decent spirited to shoo off roadways, most diamondbacks do beat a retreat with tap on the tail with a hook or a slight nudge. But to step on one would be a terrible scene.

As for tigers, here are my two. My blue male was in a posing mood recently:

She was hanging out in her ruins of Rome, playing peek-a-boo, a favorite hide of hers:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Sorry I missed you, CowslipsWarren. I was a bit shellshocked by the volume of folks, as I arrived with the early rush. I didn't get anything today, but am heading back tomorrow. There were some terrific prices on Green Tree Pythons complete with setups. I saw those hogs too, and mulled them for a bit. The albino was pretty sweet.

I saw other folks having inexplicable card issues. I think the on-site connection was having issues. Last year, power cut out for 3 hours on the 2nd day of the show. Carrying cash, I got some sick deals on 2 cages while power was out.

I think it was the Phx Herp Society way in the back with the cobras. The AHA was back and to the right with a line of Neodesha cages showcasing only AZ natives, as that's the AHA's focus. Of the two orgs, my inclination is to support the AHA. The Phx Herp Society has some pretty questionable practices on their record (i.e. last year a hotline volunteer poured gas into the ground on a rescue to flush out an atrox! This was showcased a local news report! Now god knows how many folks in Phx are pouring gas into the ground to repel rattlesnakes!).

Which is why I opened communications with the AHA. I found a patternless atrox several years ago, but had no one to take it in. I wasn't about to take in an atrox, as they seldom tame down in captivity and are rather fond of pumping ungodly volumes of hemotoxins into careless keepers. But in talking with the AHA president, they are equipped to take on such tempermental, yet unique animals.

My tigers, in contrast, dart into any hide offered. On cleaning days, it's a Midwest bagging system. They dart right in as if it's routine. Bag goes into locking bucket. Nobody rattles, strikes nor bites, cage gets cleaned, water changed, bedding refreshed, zero confrontation, everybody wins!

Crotalus atrox -- the "atrox" is unsurprisingly (to those familiar with the animal) derived from the root that gives us "atrocious." It's pretty fitting. They can be fairly decent spirited to shoo off roadways, most diamondbacks do beat a retreat with tap on the tail with a hook or a slight nudge. But to step on one would be a terrible scene.

As for tigers, here are my two. My blue male was in a posing mood recently:

She was hanging out in her ruins of Rome, playing peek-a-boo, a favorite hide of hers:

Those are some beautiful tigers, buddy.

Fun side story to the dumb gasoline trick... I had an oldtimer tell me that he used to flush indigos out of tortoise burrows by putting a hose down the burrow and blowing a puff of air down it. Pull the hose out and wait 5 minutes and the indigo apparently comes out to investigate.

I'd call bullshit on any other genus, but my limited experience with Drymarchon leads me to believe it may very well be true. Indigos seem a lot more intelligent and curious than any other snake I've ever been around (except maybe the rufous and red-spotted beaked snakes).

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I believe you about Diamondbacks, Bobba, especially after growing up in San Diego. There, everyone feared the rarely-seen Mojave, but the two most common snakes (not just hots mind you, just the most common snakes) seen in your backyard would either be a WD or a Southern Pacific. For some stupid, stupid reason people would be a lot less careful in removing these, and would often try to do it themselves rather than call in the hot removal service. Diamondbacks deliver constant, consistent hurt but the one I most feared is the black and gold Southern Pac. They're beautiful but deviously quick; one time I watched my HS biology teacher (also head of our local herp club chapter and an all around awesome guy who increased my passion for reptiles) slowly and painstakingly remove one by using two snake sticks like chopsticks. He explained that if it was a Mojave he'd be unafraid to lift it with one hook, because they are typically more inclined to hide than strike, but he'd seen SPs deliver some nasty, unexpected bites from a single hook carry and he wasn't taking chances, even as experienced as he was. That thing struck and hissed all the way into the garbage bin he was using.

San Diego kids, particularly in the suburbs, love to get drunk and stumble around in the dry eucalyptus canyons that are ubiquitous to the area. I'm guilty of that myself, but none of my friends ever got bit. There was a popular and famous story, though, of a senior party two years ahead of us that got two of its members nailed by the same Diamondback that they were loving with. I have to stress that we were all taught from a young age how to walk in rocky areas and avoid snakes when you see them, and everyone knew the risks of being in the canyon at night, so whoever picked up a rattler and handed it to a friend was being extraordinarily stupid or heavily inebriated or both.

Rattlers: the strongest living embodiment of 'don't tread on me'.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Big Centipede, I heard the same thing about Florida Indigos from an old herper. His name wasn't Bruce, was it?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Big Centipede, I heard the same thing about Florida Indigos from an old herper. His name wasn't Bruce, was it?

Nope, old machinist at my work named Bill. We have indigos in my area but I've never found one, although I did find shed from one once.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Thanks Big Centipede!

Here's the discussion and clip of the Phx Herp Society using gas. Herp Nation's Dan Krull conducts a fair interview with the president who, unfortunately, offers a muted response and spin.

http://www.herpnation.com/hn-video/herp-nation-live-phoenix-herp-society/?simple_nav_category=hn-video

Captain Foxy posted:

Rattlers: the strongest living embodiment of 'don't tread on me'.

The ones that rattle and put on a show don't scare me as much as ones that don't. The electric bzz of the rattles gets the blood and adrenaline going instantly. That or the ones I come across that appear to be DORs (Dead-on-Road) that aren't. Best to treat them all like live, downed power lines.

Amen. Long ago, a friend moved to S. Cal and was tagged when chasing a frisbee down a window well. He jumped in right on top of one. Whammo! It didn't miss.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Big Centipede posted:

Also, waiting for the end of the last day works really well... I bought a $400 pair of snakes for $120 once like that.

Whoa, OneTwentySix, we have exactly the same number of posts... how weird that I'd even look. If I were stoned or something, this would be amazing.

High five, post count buddy! Though now you've got some catchup to do again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I wish I had known about that hose trick when I was still in Orlando, there was a colony of gopher tortoises on the land behind my apartment but I had nothing to peek inside the burrows with safely. If there had turned out to be indigos living there I could have made some researchers very happy.

In other news, somebody's shedding again!

(This one just begs for a pair of sunglasses to drop down. I need to learn how to make gifs.)

His blue has been showing much more since the last shed, I'm hoping he goes all pastel on me. Since he's a PetSmart animal I know he came from Reptile Industries in Naples(mass breeder and dropshipper as far as I can tell, ugh) but once in a while you get lucky and they send out animals with pretty good coloration.

• Locked thread