Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Wheany posted:

this pretty much happened in our old web ui.

for some reason we had a global array that was called, i kid you not, "garbage"

i guessss... it referred to "garbage collection", because whoever made the old code didn't understand javascript scoping and thought that in order to be able to execute callbacks, you have to have some external reference to them.

and even with that global array of everything, a browser didn't use more than a gig or two of memory after a weekend.

that's a pretty good example of how writing apps for the browser lets you not worry about the stuff that the old compiled language programmers had to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

the php at my job is really neat and clean AND the guy who set it up seems neurotypical; its p weird

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this doesn't really make any sense cause using a lot of memory doesn't hurt anything
some of us write stuff that isn't toys for children and serves millions of people

Wheany posted:

and even with that global array of everything, a browser didn't use more than a gig or two of memory after a weekend.
I can't even tell if you're joking, maybe I'm dumb

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

het posted:

some of us write stuff that isn't toys for children and serves millions of people

i.e. some of us write things that do things.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

het posted:

ya me too, we do like 100m unique hits a month. feels good to have a huge stake in making a great product used by so many people

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

het posted:

I can't even tell if you're joking, maybe I'm dumb

using a gig of memory on a modern computer is not a problem

like right now, on my computer: skype is using 400 megs of memory of who knows what. I havent even used it, it's just sitting in the background.

loving putty uses over 100 megs for showing a bunch of text in a terminal.

those are my top two non-browser memory using programs right now.

oh no, my megarams

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wheany posted:

using a gig of memory on a modern computer is not a problem

like right now, on my computer: skype is using 400 megs of memory of who knows what. I havent even used it, it's just sitting in the background.

loving putty uses over 100 megs for showing a bunch of text in a terminal.

those are my top two non-browser memory using programs right now.

oh no, my megarams
I still can't tell if you're joking, and it's not because I think a program using a gig of memory is a problem

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i guess your point is having lovely resource management is bad?

if so, i agree, but you can get away with some amazing actual poo poo depending on the environment.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

tbh this is a perfectly good strategy for short running programs, assuming you'll finish working before you run out of memory.

the flash vm has this thing where garbage collection will only go so far down the tree. once it hits a certain depth it gives up and says "welp, too far down, im not goin all the way down there, better just leave it where it is."

Which sounds insane until you realize that the average lifespan of a flash object is 30 seconds. they optimized for the common case and, welp, there u go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

het posted:

I still can't tell if you're joking, and it's not because I think a program using a gig of memory is a problem

then waht are you talking about?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use as much memory as you want. theres no reason to aggressively manage it yourself. as long as you arent constantly destroying and creating large objects you'll be fine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ya me too, we do like 100m unique hits a month. feels good to have a huge stake in making a great product used by so many people

mm yes, 100 million attempts to foil downthemall. im on this, boss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

use as much memory as you want. theres no reason to aggressively manage it yourself. as long as you arent constantly destroying and creating large objects you'll be fine.

even then its probably not a big deal in 90% of cases

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Socracheese posted:

the php at my job is really neat and clean AND the guy who set it up seems neurotypical; its p weird

i told you no more forums posting at work, tiny bug assistant

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

even then its probably not a big deal in 90% of cases

that's what eden space adn the stack are for

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

lol if you don't just buy more ram when you run out.
rule 36

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
lmao if you spend your day puzzling out how you can make your codes fit in 10 bits of rams instead of 12 or whatever the gently caress

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

lmao if you spend your day puzzling out how you can make your codes fit in 10 bits of rams instead of 12 or whatever the gently caress

I wish this was my job :(

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Hammerite posted:

if youre poo poo's popular, every byte counts. saving 32 bytes 100 million times a day is probably more than your salary

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Hammerite posted:

actually it owns bones. toodles

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

if youre poo poo's popular, every byte counts. saving 32 bytes 100 million times a day is probably more than your salary

not if those 32 bytes just pop out of existence along with the rest after the < 1s it takes to execute the request, and you have a huge memory pool that rarely even comes close to maximum utilization anyway

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Bug Child posted:

not if those 32 bytes just pop out of existence along with the rest after the < 1s it takes to execute the request, and you have a huge memory pool that rarely even comes close to maximum utilization anyway

that because you write lovely webapps that live in a browser

what about all of those systems that actually do the work that you just display

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Sweeper posted:

that because you write lovely webapps that live in a browser

what about all of those systems that actually do the work that you just display

Tiny Bug Child posted:

that's a pretty good example of how writing apps for the browser lets you not worry about the stuff that the old compiled language programmers had to worry about

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Hammerite posted:

drop a tab of acid as well and that pretty much sums up nintendo ds development

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

what are you talking about,

look at facebook, just by making their urls shorter they saved some retarded amount of money

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

what are you talking about,

look at facebook, just by making their urls shorter they saved some retarded amount of money

[citation needed]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that's what eden space adn the stack are for

yeah but dont you gotta worry about heap fragmentation if ur creating and destroying tons of stuff? idk. i've never run into it as an irl problem nor have i had gc pausing create performance issues.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

seriously the worst thing about cs nerds and useless academics is how not only are they incapable of just doing what works, but they actually see it as a moral good. you're a bad programmer unless you do all this extra unnecessary poo poo computers have been able to do for you since the eighties!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
neither of those things have anything to do with academics, who have been using lisp and ml and other languages with superior garbage collectors for years

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
the people you're thinking of who make tradeoffs based on analysis of the problem instead of spraying projectile diarrhea into a text file and begging a vm to run it are "engineers"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

neither of those things have anything to do with academics, who have been using lisp and ml and other languages with superior garbage collectors for years

yo i'm not saying all academics are bad; i'm well aware that development owes a huge debt to ppl like rasmus lerdorf who actually make good stuff and contribute towards the future of computing instead of being obstinate roadblocks

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
youre all letting him troll you again

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

vapid cutlery posted:

youre all letting him troll you again

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i'm just going to post princess bride snippets from now on

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i'm just going to post princess bride snippets from now on

as you wish

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you know what i like to do in java?

i read an image file into an array of 32-bit packed pixels, aarrggbb. i then make a copy of those pixels, separating each channel in each pixel into their own double. then i do my processing using those doubles. i'll probably make several copies of those doubles during the various processing steps.

once i'm done, i'll pack them into yet another int array. i never free one byte of memory.

processing one 5-megapixel image will use several hundred megabytes of memory.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
what does using doubles buy you in that case btw? is it just that narrow integer arithmetic makes things lovely when you're doing your fft arithmetic?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
probably nothing. it might have affected the color or a pixel or two in the whole image compared to integer math, but ehh.

if you want to gamma correct your images before/after other processing steps, you might want to separate your channels into floats. doubles are probably overkill in any case.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i remember some of the most fun i had writing porgrams was for the palmpilot where your binary had to be like <20k or people made fun of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

250kb for a binary?? hey pal this aint some kinda $800 Dell Axim ok