Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Cross posting this from the bike buying thread.
-------------

I've been following this ad for a month on craiglist, during which time this guy has dropped his asking price from $3200 to $2000. Does this sound like a decent deal? What maintenance items should I ask him about given the mileage of 22,000?

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Considering I just paid $2900 in Canada for one which isn't in as good of shape, I'd say so :smith:.

It seems kind of suspicious if he's trying to dump it for a quick $2000, actually. Did he drop it directly from $3200 to $2000 or gradually? If the bike is in good order, $2000 bucks seems like a goddamn steal.

Grimes fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 3, 2012

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Grimes posted:

Considering I just paid $2900 in Canada for one which isn't in as good of shape, I'd say so :smith:.

It seems kind of suspicious if he's trying to dump it for a quick $2000, actually. Did he drop it directly from $3200 to $2000 or gradually? If the bike is in good order, $2000 bucks seems like a goddamn steal.

He's dropped it to $2900 and $2500 in the interim. I think I'll give him a text tomorrow and go check it out. Dammit, I don't want two motorcycles.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yes you do. You'll thank yourself profusely. Then you'll go out and get a third.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 3, 2012

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I took a ride last night and when filtering past some traffic my shifter decided to abandon ship which was needlessly exciting for a few seconds.

Looking at it the screw that holds the shifter in had worked itself loose. I've got it back in but I can't tell if there's supposed to be a bolt on the far side securing it on or not. So, anyone on here with a K4+ model who can confirm or deny this?

This is a (lovely phone camera) picture of it before I fastened it in to get me home again. I'm going to back it out again tonight and fill it with threadlock.

Link in case timg is being gay.

Also I noticed that the shifter 'arm' looks bent, is this normal?

To my knowledge the bike has never been down, at least there's no obvious scuffs on it anywhere.

ReformedNiceGuy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 5, 2012

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

What's a good cheapskate way to upgrade the front forks while I'm redoing my fork seals? I've heard something about new springs/emulators but I don't know which ones to get for my weight or the riding I do which is almost entirely street. (k4)

also, niceguy, i took a look on my bike and I didn't feel a nut on the other side of the shifter. However, I have an aftermarket one so I'm not sure if it'd be different from yours.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
New springs and heavier fork oil are the cheapest way to improve your front suspension. Go to http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch , pick your SV650, and then click on "Calculate Spring Rates" and figure out what product you need.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

New springs and heavier fork oil are the cheapest way to improve your front suspension. Go to http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch , pick your SV650, and then click on "Calculate Spring Rates" and figure out what product you need.

Are emulators something I should look into as well? Based on that site I should be looking at .8kg springs. Is there a method to figuring out how much heavier oil I should use or is that more of a trial and error sort of thing? Thanks for the info!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

bladesamurai posted:

Are emulators something I should look into as well? Based on that site I should be looking at .8kg springs. Is there a method to figuring out how much heavier oil I should use or is that more of a trial and error sort of thing? Thanks for the info!

I used 15W fork oil, I think I found that number from SVrider.com and .95kg springs. No valve work. I am a big guy, probably 230LBs+ with gear and doing the front forks was the most amazing upgrade to my SV. It's like a different bike, total changed the cornering for the better. It feels so much more stable and planted. I also replaced my rear shock at the same time, you can use a ZX10 or ZX14(only for 210LBs or more) shock, I found mine on ebay for $60 or $70.

Definitely the best upgrade for the bike, it probably hit me harder since I am so big but I love the bike more then ever.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Also I noticed that the shifter 'arm' looks bent, is this normal?

To my knowledge the bike has never been down, at least there's no obvious scuffs on it anywhere.

No that is not normal. My bike was recently forcibly moved to its side while parked and I have before and after pics. Unfortunately the after pics look just like that.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Cheers for the replies guys. However it turns out its more hosed than I thought, when I backed the bolt out again to put some thread lock in there it brought most of the thread out with it. Luckily it's still under warranty so I'm going to contact the dealer and see if I can get them to sort it for me :)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

bladesamurai posted:

I just did Race Tech springs/emulators, 15W fork oil, and ZX-10R rear shock yesterday. Give me a week to do some riding and I'll post more of an update.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Anybody ever get an FI light followed by a 4500RPM idle until the bike is restarted?

My SV did this 3 or 4 times within the first 800 miles after I pulled it out of storage. It's been another 2000 or so and it started again, happening twice on the same 50 mile trip yesterday.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: nevermind

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 10, 2012

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I got my first bike recently: an '03 SV650 with 40k miles on it. I'm the third owner of the bike, the first owner had it for 37k miles, and the second had it for 3k. The only thing I know about the first owner is that he made long distance trips often on it from San Jose to San Diego. The second owner kept the bike maintained fluid-wise, but near the end of his ownership he had it sitting in storage due to a wrist injury but took it out for a spin once a month or so.

Since I don't know anything about bikes and have no frame of reference to judge if there's anything wrong, do you guys know of any common problems that might pop up around this kind of mileage/age? So far, the only thing I've had to do is adjust the play on the clutch lever, since it was about twice as much as what's specified in the service manual. Before I adjusted it, the clutch would engage the friction zone almost immediately after I started releasing the lever. I don't know how long the bike had been ridden like this so I'm guessing there might be some wear to the clutch plates as a result?

To other SV owners out there, what does it feel like if you're going at speed, then close the throttle all the way, then open it up again? My bike doesn't transition very smoothly to open throttle again, and chokes for about a second before I feel a smooth acceleration again. My guess is that the clutch plates are worn and there's some slipping happening here but again I don't know anything about bikes.

I think the dust covers on my forks are cracking, assuming the sv has covers and they're not actually the fork seals:

I don't feel any oil coming out of the forks, but should I be worried that the actual seals are going to go soon?

Lastly, does anyone know if there's any aftermarket side panel covers for the SV? I'm talking about the black diamond piece here:

I read a post on svrider that says that I need a specific '03 side panel, which I can believe due to the weird subframe this year has. The previous owner said he had bought this part from bikebandit

http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuki-sv650-sv650k3/o/m147670#sch501101

1087545 (COVER,FRAME,L)
1024234 (SCREW)

The part ended up not fitting and I noticed they had part #1087544 which looks identical but I'm not sure why they would list it twice in the '03 section. In any case, can someone confirm that the '03 needs the year specific side panel? I don't want to pay $50 for a little chunk of plastic, and I see some ebay listings for this side panel which say their panels work for 03-09 SV650. Alternatively, would any of you SV bros in the bay area be willing to let me try your side panel on my bike?

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 10, 2012

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

bladesamurai posted:

So, after about 500 miles on the new springs/emulators...

Commuting, they helped, but it was not revolutionary. It would be good if you plan to keep the bike long term.

However, once you go to spirited canyon riding or the track, it was a night and day difference, major upgrade.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

xaarman posted:

So, after about 500 miles on the new springs/emulators...

Commuting, they helped, but it was not revolutionary. It would be good if you plan to keep the bike long term.

However, once you go to spirited canyon riding or the track, it was a night and day difference, major upgrade.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

I really need to do this on my commuter. Have ridden a few SV's with it done and really like it. For how many miles are on mine it could use a refresh anyways.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The cheapest I could find it was $220 here: http://www.motospecialties.com/store.asp?store=svraceshop&level=type1&type=suspension&type1=suspension

SV Race Shop is ran by the local Ducati dealership here in Omaha... they also give a 5% military discount. I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and went with .9 springs and 15w oil as a compromise between street and track.

Fruhstuck
Jun 3, 2003
Dressed to the left
Hi guys, thanks to a lowside my 2006 SV650N needs a new radiator.
I've found a 2003/04 model radiator for sale online in NZ and I was wondering if it would fit since the frame is much the same, or what sort of modifications would need to be made.

Any help would be appreciated, even some sources for purchasing them.

Incidentally, I'm drat glad I purchased frame sliders for the thing.
They saved it from a lot more damage in the crash.
Just a few cosmetic scratches and dings, replace the handlebars & radiator and she's good to go :D

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My 2003 SV had an extraordinarily wide radiator. I guess the 2004 does as well, if you call it the 2003-2004 model radiator. If you're fine with that (google up 2003-2004 sv's), then go for it. If not, go with the 2005+ radiators. The frame mounts should be the same nevertheless of 2nd-gen year. Sliders should be good to protect them, as long as they're Motosliders.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Also I think Delkelvic? makes aftermarket radiators that are basically the same design as stock. I picked one up after my stock one got mangled in a crash and it's worked great. I'm not sure if that's easier or harder for you to get but it's another option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

yergacheffe posted:

I got my first bike recently: an '03 SV650 with 40k miles on it. I'm the third owner of the bike, the first owner had it for 37k miles, and the second had it for 3k. The only thing I know about the first owner is that he made long distance trips often on it from San Jose to San Diego. The second owner kept the bike maintained fluid-wise, but near the end of his ownership he had it sitting in storage due to a wrist injury but took it out for a spin once a month or so.

Since I don't know anything about bikes and have no frame of reference to judge if there's anything wrong, do you guys know of any common problems that might pop up around this kind of mileage/age? So far, the only thing I've had to do is adjust the play on the clutch lever, since it was about twice as much as what's specified in the service manual. Before I adjusted it, the clutch would engage the friction zone almost immediately after I started releasing the lever. I don't know how long the bike had been ridden like this so I'm guessing there might be some wear to the clutch plates as a result?

To other SV owners out there, what does it feel like if you're going at speed, then close the throttle all the way, then open it up again? My bike doesn't transition very smoothly to open throttle again, and chokes for about a second before I feel a smooth acceleration again. My guess is that the clutch plates are worn and there's some slipping happening here but again I don't know anything about bikes.

I think the dust covers on my forks are cracking, assuming the sv has covers and they're not actually the fork seals:

I don't feel any oil coming out of the forks, but should I be worried that the actual seals are going to go soon?

Lastly, does anyone know if there's any aftermarket side panel covers for the SV? I'm talking about the black diamond piece here:

I read a post on svrider that says that I need a specific '03 side panel, which I can believe due to the weird subframe this year has. The previous owner said he had bought this part from bikebandit

http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuki-sv650-sv650k3/o/m147670#sch501101

1087545 (COVER,FRAME,L)
1024234 (SCREW)

The part ended up not fitting and I noticed they had part #1087544 which looks identical but I'm not sure why they would list it twice in the '03 section. In any case, can someone confirm that the '03 needs the year specific side panel? I don't want to pay $50 for a little chunk of plastic, and I see some ebay listings for this side panel which say their panels work for 03-09 SV650. Alternatively, would any of you SV bros in the bay area be willing to let me try your side panel on my bike?

Dust seals cracking is ok. The seals are buried under there and probably fine, especially if you're not noticing any oil on the fork legs.

The 03 does have a different side panel, for exactly the reason you mention - the one off subframe that that year had.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
What are some good handguard options for stock gen2 naked handlebars? It's getting colder and my hands were miserable last winter even with heated grips. I've read that the stock DL650 handguards are a good fit but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with those or any other brands. Thanks!

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
I have an S, so YMMV, but the previous owner of my bike had affixed some hand guards from a V-storm (or so he said). Might want to see if you can pick up some of those used.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lowcrabdiet posted:

What are some good handguard options for stock gen2 naked handlebars? It's getting colder and my hands were miserable last winter even with heated grips. I've read that the stock DL650 handguards are a good fit but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with those or any other brands. Thanks!

I know you want other options but the Vstrom guards worked great for me last winter down to about 13-14f. Most guards should work though as long as the insert fits the end of the handlebar and you can make it work with all the controls on the bar. I may go with something larger this year.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know you want other options but the Vstrom guards worked great for me last winter down to about 13-14f. Most guards should work though as long as the insert fits the end of the handlebar and you can make it work with all the controls on the bar. I may go with something larger this year.

If the Vstrom guards work well, then they're fine by me. They seem to be one of the cheaper options anyway. Thanks!

Fruhstuck
Jun 3, 2003
Dressed to the left
Thanks bladesamurai, I've ordered one from Delkevic UK and it's heading my way now from (surprise surprise) China!

Looking forward to getting the beastie back on the road.
Now I've got to continue shopping for frame sliders, handlebars, mirrors, levers...
Oh the humanity!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So after installing a givi top rack and case I find that the givi side racks are no longer available and the swmotech sideracks apparently won't work with the givi top. Has anyone here made it work or maybe know where to get a givi side rack?

Edit- Or if not can anyone suggest a larger set of soft bags that will work? It's a 2004 naked if it matters.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 3, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

My SV650 (99 naked) is coming up on it's 60k mile service. Anything special I should thing about doing other than the usual oil, flush brakes, lube chain, wash?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

My SV650 (99 naked) is coming up on it's 60k mile service. Anything special I should thing about doing other than the usual oil, flush brakes, lube chain, wash?

Isn't a valve clearance check due every 15k miles?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So when I try to explain to non-bikers why I find riding a motorcycle so fun I try and explain power to weight ratio.

400 lbs wet + 160 lbs me = 560 lbs ***** 560 lbs / 70 Hp = 8.00 lbs per Hp

Porsche 911 GT3 (996) mk1 - 8.00
2006 Lotus Exige GT3 - 8.00
C6 Corvette - 7.95

Any other cars to compare the acceleration of my girl bike to?

edit: took out the word common

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 4, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I don't know what your definition of common is, but a DB9 should be right around that.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

djfooboo posted:

So when I try to explain to non-bikers why I find riding a motorcycle so fun I try and explain power to weight ratio.

400 lbs wet + 160 lbs me = 560 lbs ***** 560 lbs / 70 Hp = 8.00 lbs per Hp

Porsche 911 GT3 (996) mk1 - 8.00
2006 Lotus Exige GT3 - 8.00
C6 Corvette - 7.95

Any other cars to compare the acceleration of my girl bike to?

edit: took out the word common

Stupid to admit to or even do, I know, but I dragged a GT3 on a main road in Houston because I was in a DGAF mood that day and he couldn't keep up (to my Ninja 650 :coal: )

I'm usually a pretty reserved rider, but that was a particularly lovely day at work and it made me feel good to 'beat' such an expensive vehicle, driven by some bro lookin guy, with my used, $4K bike.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The best is when you accelerate normally and you see other people trying to race your lazy shifting. :sun:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Xovaan posted:

The best is when you accelerate normally and you see other people trying to race your lazy shifting. :sun:

Being the unsuspecting winner in a race i didn't even know I was in is always great.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Nobody has tried to race my 636. Or it's that I haven't noticed anybody trying to as I energetically slash a path to and from work (I hate any sort of dawdling in rush hour traffic). But it's silly how this thing jumps way, way ahead from the masses of cars at a stoplight when I'm not even trying.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If you're ever in NorCal I'll let you take my B12 for a spin. z3n told me the previous owner told him that it put down a 10.1 before he did the piston kit, exhaust, and dynotune. :stonk::fh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the walkin dude posted:

Nobody has tried to race my 636. Or it's that I haven't noticed anybody trying to as I energetically slash a path to and from work (I hate any sort of dawdling in rush hour traffic). But it's silly how this thing jumps way, way ahead from the masses of cars at a stoplight when I'm not even trying.

Watch the roll-ons, that's where I've lost to cars on a bike before. :v:

tastyburrito
Sep 15, 2004
So, my 2002 sv650s was stolen from me at work during a night shift a couple days ago. Good news is that the very next day the police found someone (not sure if it was the original thief or not) riding around on it 100ft away from where it was stolen!

Haven't had time to inspect all the damage, but the wire harness next to the ignition switch was cut, and the plastic side panels under the seat were ripped out. I'm trying to figure out how they were able to get it started without the key - I was under the impression that there's a resistor in the ignition switch so if you were to try and hotwire it it would fry the ignition control unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Nope, all the key does is complete a circuit. If your wires aren't properly routed, it's pretty easy to get to the necessary wires and splice them together.

compassion edit: Glad you got your bike back though!

• Locked thread