Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

While this is totally fair, it's also not assured that this pick is ted williams. It does rate to be a good player though, so consider this!

Indeed, there's still a good month or so at least before the draft. But an almost certainly top 3-5 draft pick should command a commensurate price.

Beet fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Beet posted:

Indeed, there's still a good month or so at least before the draft. But an almost certainly top 3-5 draft pick should command a commensurate price.

Oh definately, and pick 1 is teddy williams, pick 2 is Nolan Ryan and then it starts going down hill a bit. The more stuff you sell, the better Theacox will do, so it's an intresting balancing act.

Vvvv: In case you missed it, I revised my offer a bit.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 3, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Gents, I will sleep on this info and make my decision some time tomorrow.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

wikipedia posted:

"Delahanty died when he was swept over Niagara Falls in 1903. He was apparently kicked off a train by the train's conductor for being drunk and disorderly. The conductor said Delahanty was brandishing a straight razor and threatening passengers."

Oh gently caress yes this sounds like a bloke I can use! Slot Delahanty in at DH. Also, Smasher, you'd better show some love to Skeleton Warriors or so help me God I will challenge one star teams every loving week!

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Daydreamers

I'm going to reject both offers for Smoltz, if only because trading a starter for another starter doesn't really seem like it will get me very far.

One change to make this week: Swap Yount and Durham in the lineup, since I may as well ride Durham while he's performing above expectations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

One change to make this week: Swap Yount and Durham in the lineup, since I may as well ride Durham while he's performing above expectations.

I liked you so much when you were batting the pitcher 8th :(

Cultist Lineup for the no DH Challenges

Pitching is the same as the regular roster. I'm assuming fatigue isn't an issue

Position Players vs Right Handed Pitchers

C. Rodríguez, Iván "Pudge" 29 (2001 Texas Rangers)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics)
2B. Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
3B. Santo, Ron 24 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics, Super Draft)
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs)

LF. Williams, Billy 26 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics Super Draft)
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies)

Batting Order vs Right Handed Pitchers

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Rodríguez, Iván "Pudge" 29 (2001 Texas Rangers) - Right (Gabby has some starts)
6 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
7 Williams, Billy 26 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics) - Left
8 Santo, Ron 24 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics) - Right
9 Pitcher Slot, I'd be more sabremetric, but alas, BM2013

Position Players vs Left Handed Pitchers

C. Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics)
2B. Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs
3B. Santo, Ron 24 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics, Super Draft)
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs)

LF. Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
CF. Speaker, Tris "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Cuyler, Kiki "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)

Bench vs Left Handed Pitchers

Bench 1. Rodríguez, Iván "Pudge" 29 (2001 Texas Rangers)
Bench 2. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies)
Bench 3. Williams, Billy 26 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics Super Draft)
Bench 4. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals)
Bench 5. Nomar Gaspacio (2004 Chicago Cubs)

Batting Order vs Left Handed Pitchers

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Kiki, Cuyler "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
6 Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
7 Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right (Irod will have some starts)
8 Santo, Ron 24 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics) - Right
9 Pitcher Bats here.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 3, 2012

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I liked you so much when you were batting the pitcher 8th :(

Oh, believe me, if Mogul would give me the option I'd still be doing so.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:siren: BEARERS OWNERS :siren:

For the love of all that is holy, we need to send Ted Lyons to the minors and replace him with Claude Passeau.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

For the love of all that is holy, we need to send Ted Lyons to the minors and replace him with Claude Passeau.

Sure, why not :)

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, I said that last week. Let's try that. I'm skeptical, but what can ya do.

Can we also put Kenny Lofton and Bagwell on the block in exchange for pitching?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Sorry for the double post, but:

Please switch Eddie Mathews and Jim Edmonds in the lineup. Also, switch to a straight platoon with Porter/Fisk (doesn't Porter Fiske sound like someone who belongs on the Imperialists?) and send down Chipper and call up Renteria - bench Yount and start Edgar.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Interested in trading that Chipper for pitching help?

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Smasher: so as to not waste your time, looking for a little advice on a couple 4-star challenges I've been contemplating.

First is young Joe Morgan; I know prime-to-prime, he's hands down going to be a better player than Frisch. My frustration with Frisch is that, despite being a superlative fielder in his era, his defense takes a massive hit from the Mogul engine for being from the 20s and his offense hasn't been good enough (unlike Cronin) to excuse that. Getting Morgan will certainly fix the defensive problem, but what should I expect offensively?

Other is George Brett. Career slash lines are pretty similar; you trade a little patience from Youk for Brett's contact ability. Question is how their defense stacks up. I know Brett was never known for his defensive prowess but should I expect him to be better than Youkilis? BBRef has Brett at mostly positive dWAR up until 83 while Youkilis hovers around 0.0 dWAR for his career.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

ToiletofSadness posted:

Other is George Brett. Career slash lines are pretty similar; you trade a little patience from Youk for Brett's contact ability. Question is how their defense stacks up. I know Brett was never known for his defensive prowess but should I expect him to be better than Youkilis? BBRef has Brett at mostly positive dWAR up until 83 while Youkilis hovers around 0.0 dWAR for his career.

Why risk it, I ask you? What will you offer me for my edition of '83 Brett?

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

Why risk it, I ask you? What will you offer me for my edition of '83 Brett?
I asked before which year Brett you had, but you never responded. What's your asking price?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ToiletofSadness posted:

Smasher: so as to not waste your time, looking for a little advice on a couple 4-star challenges I've been contemplating.

First is young Joe Morgan; I know prime-to-prime, he's hands down going to be a better player than Frisch. My frustration with Frisch is that, despite being a superlative fielder in his era, his defense takes a massive hit from the Mogul engine for being from the 20s and his offense hasn't been good enough (unlike Cronin) to excuse that. Getting Morgan will certainly fix the defensive problem, but what should I expect offensively?

Four-star challenges are inherently risky, so I'd only advise them in a case where there's a clear upgrade.

Morgan is an interesting player in the Super-League. He's going to have a bad batting average, usually around .250, and you'll need to make peace with that if you want to acquire him. He'll draw walks and steal bases, and might hit a few home runs, but that low batting average will probably drive you crazy in the end.

As for Brett, he's never really been that good in the Super-League, and there's a bunch of copies of him floating around already. If you had no third basemen, I might consider it a good challenge, but the marginal upgrade from Youkilis to Brett probably doesn't make the risk worth it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Luque went from dependable to an abomination. Let's drop him into long relief and promote Zambrano.

I don't remember the show you associated with my team and watching the linked video only brings relief that it still doesn't ring any bells.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 6 Injury Report

No New Champions, which means...

The Fukuoka Finger-Banger have now been European League Champions for a full season!

Florida Oranges
Eddie Mathews (3B) (I Still Hate Florida) - 57 days

Portland Bulldogs
Joe Medwick (OF) (Sacrificed to Make Team Strong) - 14 days

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Well if you say so Marauder.

theacox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 3, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Look over my team - both my teams - and see if you can put together a better package.

I love Lefty Carlton as a Phillie fan, but Mogul doesn't, for whatever reason. And the throw-ins are just awful. Cuyler won't OBP over .300. Although I have a Cuyler too, if you'd like him, I guess.

edit:
Honestly, you need breadth, and not just an ace and some throw-ins.

How about '97 Robbie Alomar to solve your second base problem?
'71 Don Sutton has always been solid for me, and I'll add '02 Barry Zito in his Cy Young year.

'50 Duke Snider is also available to swap in, but you've got to figure Braun/Cutch/Sheffield will turn it around, no?

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 3, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
To be clear, that's:

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito

for your first-round draft pick

Sorry for the terseness, I'm bouncing between two computers.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

theacox posted:

Well if you say so Marauder.

I'll update the offer to be: Any of my outfielders except Tris speaker (Kiki Cuyler has the most utility and will hit .300 despite marauders claim, Larry Walker is a more tradition slugger) plus Jim Rice and the two pitchers. And the challenge thing, which is probably fairly useful to you. Remember, you get my start of season lineup regardless of what I do from here.

If you want an infielder we can talk, but that's a bit tricker for me. I can free up Sandberg but that's painful.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

For the record, I speak from experience on (1926) Cuyler - .265/.312/6 HR over most of a season (SL IV); .235/.252/2 HR over a month+ (SLV). Mogul thinks Larry Walker is a product of Coors, which is a little unjust, but hey.

As for Frank Smith, well see his stats for yourself, but I wouldn't touch that WHIP or high deadball walk rate with a 60' 6" pole.

Honestly, I don't have much desire for the pick, I just don't want to see you get taken, and if I can make your team better across the board, I'd like to help, since you really got a bad roll on those hitters.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

For the record, I speak from experience on (1926) Cuyler - .265/.312/6 HR over most of a season (SL IV); .235/.252/2 HR over a month+ (SLV). Mogul thinks Larry Walker is a product of Coors, which is a little unjust, but hey.

Yeah, 1930 Kiki Cuyler is doing pretty okay though. Your call obviously, if not, pick one of the other guys. Mogul thinks Larry is a good hitter, but he's not great against righties.

But I'm also offering Billy Williams here, legit hall of famer, so whatever!

quote:

As for Frank Smith, well see his stats for yourself, but I wouldn't touch that WHIP or high deadball walk rate with a 60' 6" pole.

Honestly, I don't have much desire for the pick, I just don't want to see you get taken, and if I can make your team better across the board, I'd like to help, since you really got a bad roll on those hitters.

Frank Smith is beloved by Mogul as well though, he's in my minors, go check the rating. It's being jacked up by his deadball endurance levels, but he's a fine back of the order spitballer.

That offer is

Martinez or Carlton
Frank Smith (or another pitcher)
Jim Rice
Billy Williams (HOF, or Larry Walker or Kiki Cuyler)
Kim Byung Hung because I can.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 4, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That offer is

Martinez or Carlton
Frank Smith (or another pitcher)
Jim Rice
Billy Williams (HOF, or Larry Walker or Kiki Cuyler)
Kim Byung Hung because I can.

I'm really thinking now that I should probably address 2B or 3B on the back end of any deal I make. Still should have 2 SPs though, as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:suicide:
Pujols to 3B, Morneau back to 1B and he better know how to hit this time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

theacox posted:

I'm really thinking now that I should probably address 2B or 3B on the back end of any deal I make. Still should have 2 SPs though, as well.

Okay, how about

Nomar Garciaparra (2004, can play 3B, knees are going for SS. Really he's just going to stand at 3B and defend poorly - he still has the arm and the glove just not the knees to be a SS any more, but he can hit really hard)
Carlton or Martinez
Billy Williams (or any other outfielder not called Speaker. For reference, I use Williams/Riggs in LF and Walker/Cuyler in RF)
Frank Smith
Kim Byung Hung
Free Merc Services

Altenatively, if you want Sandberg

Ryne Sandberg - HOF 2B
Martinez
Cuyler or Rice
Smith
Kim Byung Hung
Free Merc Services

Alternatively, alternatively, I can sell Rodger Hornsby but that deal isn't going to get you the Starting Pitching you want/need.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 4, 2012

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I think if you really want Ted Williams that badly, you're gonna have to give up top pitching to do so.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

cbx posted:

I think if you really want Ted Williams that badly, you're gonna have to give up top pitching to do so.

Yeah, fair, so how about this alternative offer:

Ryne Sandberg - HOF 2B
Carlton or Martinez - Both HOF Pitchers, well, Martinez isn't in but he will be.
Larry Walker - Big hitting RF.
Frank Smith - Filler starter
Kim Byung Hung - Random Relief, but he's better than the guys you've got.
Free Merc Services for any challenge except those I am planning to make myself.

That's about the maximum I can afford. This is pretty risky for me, by no means is it certain that your pick will be Teddy Ballgame. If it falls to two, I probably lose the trade, and if it falls to three the trade is pretty bad (I probably get George brett? Wooo).

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 4, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
:laugh: it took my new team 7 games to beat my old team. That bodes real well.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VII, Smasher League Week 5: Nostalgia Week, Part 2

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

BOBBLEHEADS ESCAPE EAZY W'S 1-0

Chicago- In Super-League I, the Chicago Bobbleheads and South L.A. Eazy W's played their first game against each other. Six seasons later, they are the last remaining original teams in the Smasher League. Every other team has either died or changed leagues, but not the Bobbleheads or the W's.

Today's game featured the Legacy of the W's squaring off against the Bobbleheads collection of hobbled sluggers, and while the Legacy, despite not being composed of particularly helpful players, has somehow helped the W's maintain a lead in the newly-formed Skyhawks Memorial Division, they were no match for the seasoned Bobbleheads, who managed to score a victory despite scoring only a single run.

Jack McDowell, captain of the W's, was more than a little frustrated as he took the lost despite allowing only four hits over the course of the game, "Clearly, we were not playing up to Legacy standards today. Fortunately, I think that the team if finally ready to address the problem that is holding us back. Kirk Gibson does not fit into this new team, and so, it is my sad duty to report, he will be shot into the sun, as that is the most respectful form of termination that we could think of. We wish him godspeed on his voyage to the nuclear furnace in the middle of our home star. In better news, his replacement, Ed Delahanty, will joining us next week. He's going to bring a solid bat to the DH spot, and seeing as our team does not travel by train, we're hoping to avoid any tragic bridge accidents from him in the future. And, speaking of the future, the Legacy remains on track to become the first ever winner of the Skyhawks Memorial Division and, more importantly, when we face the Cultists in the Smasher League finals, and we will, everyone, everyone will finally see that the spirit of a team is much more important that Cthulhu's number crunching. How can you put a number on personality or camaraderie? You can't. St. Mark Bellhorn is more than that sum of his stats, he's the god-drat Saint of the Super-League. Eri Yoshida seems completely useless, but look at the absurd lengths that BWFC went to get her for his team. There are somethings that you just can't simulate, Cthulhu, and, not too long from now, I'm going to show you exactly what they are. Count on it."

Mark Grace, whose team won the game, was bemused by the win, "Who the hell cares, really? I mean, we're are the champions of Super-League VI. We're always going to be the champions of Super-League VI. Hell, if I died in a drunken boat accident tomorrow, my obituary would lead off 'Mark Grace, Super-League Champion, Dies in Horrific Shark Rodeo Accident'. Of course, that does raise questions about where we go from here. I mean, no point getting killed by the Macho Men, not much I really want to improve on the team. I guess we're just kind of adrift at the moment."

Box Score

Don May posted:

MUDHOLES MAKE GOOSE EGGS' WEEK EVEN WORSE, WIN 6-5

Madison- The Goose Eggs are dying right before our eyes.

A few days ago, the Goose Eggs lost an ill-conceived challenge, costing them Troy Tulowitzki and Jimmy Key, two members of their active roster. Even worse, it was a one-star challenge, making the defeat all the more humiliating. It seemed like things couldn't get any worse.

Until today.

The Mudholes have not had a good season much in the same way that the Hindenburg did not have a good retirement flight. After five weeks of the season, the Mudholes have just seven wins against twenty losses. This was a series that the Goose Eggs needed to win, for their self-respect if nothing else.

But they lost the first game of this three-game set, and now have lost today as well, giving the Mudholes an unlikely series win, and leaving the Goose Eggs with more questions than answers.

Armitage, trying desperately to save his club, was dumbfounded by his team's struggles, "I don't know what I can do. And, to be honest, it's even worse that it appears. Last week, my team and I pretended to be rich kids from the suburbs in order to help some inner-city youths save their community center by beating a bunch of prep-school kids in a game of baseball. I figured that it would help us regain our confidence, and, you know, Breakin' 2 was a seminal movie of the '80s, but, yeah, we got killed by the prep school kids. It was a loving slaughter. And they tore that community center to the ground. It's just been a terrible week. Just terrible."

Box Score

Don May posted:

EMPERORS GROUND MOOGLIES 3-2

Cologne- Funk has no place in the Rhineland.

That is the easy conclusion to make after today's 3-2 win for the Emperors over the Mooglies, and it might be the accurate one.

It's certainly the one that The Goog came up with, "In all of my travels throughout the three universes and hyperspace, I have never found a place so devoid of funk as this Cologne. From the moment me and my Mooglies landed our Space-El Camino in this town, I was poisoned by the atmosphere of this city, that seems to drain the very rhythm of life from my bones. The Mooglies cannot long survive in the country that created Rammstein and Europop. I have to go, man, I can't stay here, help me!" The Goog, increasingly agitated, then started breathing heavily before collapsing onto his podium. He was removed from the room by the Mooglies' team doctor, who warned the press that further exposure to Germany may destroy the noblest funkmaster of them all.

CVE vehemently disagreed with that assessment, "I know that there is an ugly stereotype that the German people are devoid of all funk, and while I agree that, for a variety of reasons, certain aspects of our funkiness as not as well developed as in other countries, but that does not mean that Germany, as a whole, lack funk. After all, Germany was one of the places where Jazz really flourished in the 1920s, and is not jazz the spiritual antecedent to all that is funky? In addition, the concepts of the 'superconsciousness' that The Goog is so fond of referring to can be traced to the work of Carl Jung, also a German. In that sense, could it not be said that we Germans are the forefathers of the people of this...Googopolis? I think this is an open question that deserves more discussion."

Box Score

Super-League Challenge!

: Welcome back to what I hope and pray is the last Super-League Challenge update this season. That's right! Once I'm done with these two challenges, I'm finally done with my backlog!
: But couldn't people issue new challenges still?
: They could...if they want to make a powerful enemy! Anyway, as befitting the hopefully final nature of this update, both of the challenges are of the five-star variety. Up first, the Finger-Bangers face the Doppel-Bangers to answer the question of whether Marauder could build a team so strong that even he could not defeat it.

The Following is a Five-Star Challenge. If the Bangers win, they will receive Pop Lloyd. If they lose, they will forfeit Vladimir Guerrero and Don Mincher and Vicente Padilla.

: Quick start for the Finger-Bangers here.
: And didn't they beat the Doppels in a five-star challenge last season?

: Bangers win again, and yeah, they did. But there are only two five-star teams, so...

: And, with a win, here, the Doppels are already doing a bit better than last time the two teams met.
: Kind of a dropoff from the Doppels to the Skyhawks.

: Bangers one win away now. And, yeah, there's a disparity there, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about.
: Really?
: Well, there's certainly nothing I care to do about it.

: But can the Doppels stage a comeback?

: No, they can't! Bangers win Pop Lloyd, and their villainy shows no signs of slowing down! Only the Macho Men can save the Super-League from the depredations of Marauder's Bangers now, and, well, they'll definitely get around to it eventually.
: So, does this finally make the Bangers unstoppable?
: It means they're somehow below-average defensively at every position, and that could be a problem against a good pitching team like the Losers or Dervishes. After all, they looked invincible against the Bobbleheads last season, but that didn't work out for them in the end. Okay, time for the last challenge of the season...hopefully. And it's the Cultists fighting a proxy challenge against the Boston Skyhawks.

The Following is a Five-Star Challenge. If the Cultists win, the Saints will receive the contents of the Mystery Box. If the Cultists lose, the Saints will forfeit Joe Adcock and Orlando Cabrera.

: Cultists come out fighting. You know, they only took this challenge to get another shot at the Skyhawks.

: And the Cultists take a 2-0 lead over the Skyhawks, and if the Cultists can win this challenge, it'll really bring credence to Cthulhu's claims that his team is a good match for the Macho Men.

: Oh, but here comes Alexander!

: And Ryan! And the series is tied 2-2, and the Cultists are reeling!

: Skyhawks win again, and the Cultists look like they're completely out of sorts.

: And that's four wins for the Skyhawks! Saints lose Joe Adcock and Orlando Cabrera! And, assuming none of you hate me, that will conclude the Super-League Challenge for this season!

Nostalgia Week Continues!

'80s-'90s Cartoon Your Team Most Resembles

Inspector Gadget

Inspector Gadget was a show about a cyborg detective. Now, I know what you're thinking, that sounds kind of like the plot of Blade Runner, and while I don't really want to get into a debate about whether Deckard was a replicant or not, I can confidently state that Inspector Gadget is nothing like Blade Runner. For one thing, Inspector Gadget does not have a partner who makes him origami figurines that are related the progression of the story. Obviously, the show would have been better had it involved such a character, but evidently Edward James Olmos is not much of a voice actor.

Peter Pan and the Pirates

Peter Pan and the Pirates was the result of the movie Hook coming out, and then some other company realizing that they had the rights to the novel of Peter Pan, but not the rights to any of the characters from Hook, or the earlier Disney cartoon, for that matter. Anyway, I've linked the theme to the show and, if we're being honest, that was by far was the best part of the show. I mean, listen to that and compare it to the bad '80s hair metal theme of basically every other show we're talking about here. That said, I remember absolutely nothing else about the show. I assume Peter Pan fought Captain Hook every episode and...well, that's probably about it.

Los Centuriones

Granted, this was originally in English, but the premise just sound so much better in Spanish especially when, like me, you don't speak Spanish. The Centurions was a show about three white dudes who had the power to plug ungainly accessories onto their power suits and fight evil. Again, it sounds better when it's described in a language you don't understand. Even by '80s standards, this show was pretty awful, because it wanted you to believe that a guy with half of a jet strapped to his back was better than an actual jet, and even my eight-year old self wasn't buying that. Granted, by the time I saw it in reruns, it was pretty dated but, then again, one of its main characters was named "Ace McCleod". So, it probably just was pretty terrible after all.

Captain N

Captain N was a story about the relentless power of capitalism to destroy any opponent that dared stray into its path. Now, I was pretty young when Captain N was on, but I'm pretty sure that the show was about a bunch of Nintendo character banding together to create a series of 22-minute commercials for their video games, with a regular teenage boy recruited to show you how loving awesome your life could be if you bought Castlevania II or whatever. Oh, I'll grant you, pretty much every cartoon was just an extended commercial those days, but Captain N seemed to be the one that really took it to its logical conclusion.

X-Men

The '90s cartoon of X-Men would have seemed a lot better if it didn't run like an hour after Batman, which was roughly ten million times better in just about every facet. But, you know, what, X-Men was still pretty awesome...well, maybe awesome is putting it a bit strongly, I mean, now that I think about it, pretty much all of the characters either had ridiculous accents, or were really boring or were Jubilee. You know, looking back on it, I can't remember why I liked that show. Maybe six year-old me was impressed by its serialization? I can definitely say that I really liked this show at some point, but that's about it, I think.

Street Sharks

Holy gently caress, another Ninja Turtles rip-off? There were more of these than I remember. The Street Sharks were four brothers who were turned into Shark men by a mad scientist and, with most other job opportunities thus foreclosed, decided to become crime fighters. Now, you would think that being half-shark would make you rather unsuited to fighting crime on land, as you don't have a neck, and, realistically, shark musculature probably isn't up to the task of supporting that much mass. On the other hand, a series where four horrible freaks of nature flopped around on the ground because they lacked the strength to stand up would probably not be a very entertaining show. Well, maybe it would, but it probably wouldn't sell many action figures.

Exosquad

There are a lot of people on the internet who will try and convince you that Exosquad was one of the best cartoons of the last twenty years.

There are god-drat liars.

Terrible Thunder Lizards

Technically, I think most of this show was basically a sub-part of Eek! the Cat but, whatever. The Terrible Thunder Lizards was a show about three ex-con dinosaurs who were given the task of murdering the first two humans in existence lest they evolve and displace the dinosaurs as the Earth's dominant species. Obviously, it turns into a Wil E. Coyote situation, as the Thunder Lizards actually succeeding in their quest to pre-emptively end all mankind might create a bit of controversy.

Actually, come to think of it, this show might have been written by creationist anyway. I mean, dinosaurs and mankind are living at the same time, and there's apparently a discrete population of mankind that basically evolved from nowhere and numbers exactly three characters over the show's run. Then again, it was played for comedy, so who knows.

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

Sometimes, a show is just fatally flawed in its core. I guess the thought was "What if Sherlock Holmes were in the 22nd Century". Now, the answer probably should have been "Stop writing lovely fanfic", but somehow this made it to series. I mean, I can't imagine there were a lot of people saying, "You know what's so loving lame about Sherlock Holmes? No flying cars, no robots, and no stories that take place on the loving moon." Then again, the series did have Robo-Watson...

Double Dragon

The early '90s was a boom time for cartoons based on video games. Now, of course, it being the early '90s, most games didn't really have good stories or characters, and Double Dragon was no exception. Hell, I'm pretty sure the plot of the game was "A bad guy has stolen your girlfriend. Remedy that poo poo, son." Actually, come to think of it, if every episode of Double Dragon was just the two main characters in a 20-minute long fight-scene, that would have been loving awesome. I'm not sure why they didn't do that. Instead, there was a dojo and some sort of villain who wanted to conquer the world and there might have been some other characters and who knows. Personally, I look forward to the day when a company finally has the balls to create a cartoon that's entirely fight scenes.

The Magician

I know I've seen this show, but I can't remember anything about it. Just looking at the intro, it's about a magician in the future who is secretly a knockoff of Batman. Except instead of beating up bad guys, he uses cheap stage illusions. I guess that's not terrible in theory...

Hell, who am I kidding, it's terrible no matter how you slice it.

Mutant League

For those of you who don't remember, there was Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey, which were games where you got to control a team of skeletons and lizardmen and robots and play a hyperviolent style of football or hockey. Hell, it was so violent that a viable strategy in Mutant League Hockey was killing so many guys on the other team that they had to forfeit.

Anyway, they decided to make that into a cartoon, which posed practical problems, because murdering the other team to win a sports game was not exactly ideal subject matter for a children's cartoon. The most insane part was that the players still got dismembered regularly, it's just that since they were 'mutants' and could get healing in 'rejuvenation chambers'. gently caress, I still remember the lizardman dude of the main character getting his tail sliced off in like every other episode.

gently caress.

Tasmania

I tried to resist it. Really, I did, but I just couldn't fight it in the end. Sorry.

Skeleton Warriors

Oh, wait, that's not Skeleton Warriors at all! Tell me how to do my job, will you? After all I've done for your team? Bah! I hope you enjoy being compared to one of the worst cartoons I've ever seen in my life! It's about mummies and pharaohs and hurting. The show makes no sense, and within the first fifteen minutes of the pilot episode, the girl mummy is driving an SUV and calling it a 'horseless chariot' and you no longer want to live.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

While we're at it, as weird as the girl mummy in the last cartoon was, I'm still pretty sure it was better than the girl tomato in this one. That's right, there was a character who looked like a normal human woman, but was really a tomato.

As to how this relates to your team, did you know that Gary Condit was involved in the production of the Attack of the Killer Tomato movie? So, that's kind of related to politics...or something.

Toxic Crusaders

The cartoon, like the movie it was based on, had some theoretical charms, but none I was ever particularly interested in. I mean, it's one thing to make a B-Movie, it's another to make one on purpose.

Standings and Leaders

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

[quote="Smasher Dynamo" post="408137846"]
The Super-League VII Challenge Series Contest: Your Smasher Sanity Depreciation Station

So, you've gone through the dispersal draft, or you want to fix your mediocre returning team, and you're one piece away from greatness. Oh, you could wait for the Super-Draft around the midpoint of the season, but can you afford to wait? Well, if you're willing to take a risk, then maybe I can help you out...

Here's how the challenge works. You put up your Super-Draft picks, or an equivalent consideration, and choose which level of challenge you want to face. You win, you get a player from that tier of prizes, you lose, I take your draft picks or whatever it is you put up. And, of course, there's nothing really stopping you from challenging more than once...

To win, all you have to do is win a best-of-seven series against one of the teams listed under your chosen level of the challenge. Which team you'll be challenging will be randomly selected, so you won't know which one you'll be facing.

One-Star Challenges (*)

Winnable, but not automatic

Possible Teams
Anchorage Penguins (0-1)
Atlantis Unspecifieds
Atlantis Aquamen (SLVI) (1-0)
Boston Crabs (SLIV) (1-0)
Boston Crabs (SLVI) (0-1)
Brooklyn Bombers (SLII)
Brooklyn Bombers (SLIV)
Brooklyn Bronies
California Unspecifieds (1-1)
Cleveland Communists (1-0)
Des Moines Dervishes (SLIV)
Dorchester Phantoms (0-1)
East St. Louis Electrics (0-1)
Falmouth Clippers (0-1)
Free Country Fhqwhgads (0-1)
Greater Googly-Mooglies (0-1)
Hakata Runnin' Ramen
Hill Valley Biffs (1-0)
Jackson Jerks of Mississippi
Jerk City Philosophers
Kodak Googles
Kolkata Indians (0-1)
Las Vegas Gamblers (0-1)
London Calling (1-0)
Motor City Bengals (0-1)
Newport Sharks (SLI)
Newport Sharks (SLII)
#OccupySuperLeague (0-1)
Philadelphia Longshots
Rockford Losers (SLIII) (1-0)
San Francisco Clues
Seattle Homers (2-0)
Senadores de San Juan (SLII)
Stevie Mitch Specials (1-0)
Toronto Ravens
Vancouver Loonies (0-1)

Rewards

C - '99 Jason Kendall (JUN)
1B - '08 Carlos Delgado (SES)
2B - '07 Dustin Pedroia (SES)
3B - '37 Red Rolfe (ATA)
SS - '89 Ozzie Smith (BSC) Won by Great Googly-Mooglies
IF - '85 Howard Johnson (VAN) Won by Rated R Superstars
LF - '65 Frank Howard (SJN) Won by Portland Bulldogs
CF - '93 Lenny Dykstra (TRR) Won by Rochester Generics
RF - '18 Ross Youngs (DES)
DH - '09 Mark Reynolds (LAV)
SP - '70 Catfish Hunter (NNY/MLD) Won by Second City Saints
SP - '79 Phil Niekro (HAK)
SP - '87 Jimmy loving Key (DED) Won by Great Googly-Mooglies
SP - '26 Urban Shocker (SLA/DOR)
RP - '86 Jesse Orosco (LEP) Won by Rated R Superstars
RP - '99 Jason Isringhausen (EVV)

Two-Star Challenges (**)

The teams aren't so good, but neither are the players.

Possible Teams
Baltimore Blind Men (0-3)
Cleveland Unicorns (SLI) (0-2)
Des Moine Dervishes (SLII) (0-2)
EV-IL Corp. Villains (1-0)
Greenbrier Orchids (0-1)
Idaho Potatoes (1-1)
Mid-Northern Suicidal Tendencies
Mudville Masochists (0-2)
Paris Postmodernists (1-1)
San Diego Freewheelers (0-1)
Senadores de San Juan (SLI) (0-1)
Silicon Valley Wanzers (2-0)
Tigres de San Juan (0-1)

Rewards

C - '73 Thurman Munson (VAN/SES)
1B - '05 Ryan Howard (FRA/PRO)
2B - '85 Julio Franco (PRO)
3B - '02 Aramis Ramirez (IDA)
SS - '82 Robin Yount (HAK) Won by Madison Mudholes
IF - '96 Matt Williams (ANC/SES) Won by Rated R Superstars
LF - '10 Ryan Braun (MLD)
CF - '79 Dale Murphy (HAK)
RF - '97 Sammy Sosa (DER)
DH - '02 Ed Delahanty (MID) Won by South Bolton Eazy W's
SP - '21 George Uhle (DES)
SP - '90 Kevin Brown (SFC/PRO)
SP - '94 Pedro Martinez (HAK) Won by Florida Oranges
SP - '01 Mike Mussina (SES) Won by Great Googly-Mooglies
RP - '02 Chad Bradford Won by Cologne Emperors
RP - '94 John Wetteland (HAK) Won by Antarctica Unspecifieds

Three-Star Challenges (***)

Solid fights for solid players.

Possible Teams
Atlantis Aquamen (SLIII-SLIV) (1-0)
Angel Grove Power Rangers (0-1)
Boston Crabs (SLI-SLII) (0-1)
Chicago Dinger-Machines (0-1)
Deadwood Cutthroats (0-1)
Detroit Riots (1-1)
Detroit Original Riots (1-2)
Detroit Switchblades (1-1)
Honolulu Lava Flows
Juneau Juggernauts (SLI)
Leprechauns (1-0)
Milwaukee Drinkers (0-2)
New New York Fighting Mongooses (1-1)
New Orleans Hurricanes (1-0)
Omaha Forgettables (SLIII) (0-1)
Omaha Forgettables (SLV)
Oyster Cult Blues (0-2)
Petaluma Goose Eggs (1-0)

Rewards

C - '22 Gabby Hartnett (GRE/GAN)
1B - '85 Don Mattingly (NNY/VIR)
2B - '10 Robinson Cano (LON) Won by Vice City Goose Eggs
3B - '82 Paul Molitor (GRE)
SS - '99 Nomar Garciaparra (DOR/PRP/CHD) Won by Luna Landers
LF - '81 Tim Raines (GAN)
RF - '70 Reggie Jackson (NNY/DER)
CF - '15 Tris Speaker (PRO) Won by Antarctica Unspecifieds
DH - '39 Hank Greenberg (DER) Won by Mooglies via Cultists
SP - '50 Robin Roberts (PHL)
SP - '62 Gaylord Perry (SES)
SP - '90 Randy Johnson (CLU/DER)
SP - '95 Greg Maddux (IDA) Won by Luna Landers
RP - '05 Billy Wagner (FRA/SES)
RP - '89 John Franco (SES)

Four-Star Challenges (****)

How much are you willing to risk for a star player?

Possible Teams
Chicago Blood Sox (2-1)
Framingham Fillies (1-1)
Newport Sharks (SLV-SLVI) (1-0)
Queens Mercuries (0-2)
Providence Murderbots (1-2)
Seattle SuperSonics (1-0)
Virginia City Vigilantes (1-2)

Rewards

C - '99 Mike Piazza (EVV)
1B - '64 Harmon Killebrew (SES)
2B - '69 Joe Morgan (LEP)
3B - '83 George Brett (BLI/CHB)
SS - '95 Alex Rodriguez (SES)
LF - '67 Carl Yastrzemski (PHL)
CF - '18 Ty Cobb (DOR)
RF - '92 Tony Gwynn (LEP)
SP - '03 Rube Waddell (SES)
SP - '03 Eddie Plank (NEW/PRO)
SP - '12 Christy Mathewson (SES)
SP - '59 Bob Gibson (SES)
RP - '84 Dan Quisenberry (BLI)
RP - '98 Trevor Hoffman (VAN)

Five-Star Challenges (*****)

You're probably not going to win...but what if you did?

Possible Teams
Boston Skyhawks (7-0)
Gander Doppel-Bangers (3-3)

Rewards

C - '75 Johnny Bench (MID)
1B - '37 Lou Gehrig (ATA)
2B - '21 Rogers Hornsby (DEM)
3B - '80 Mike Schmidt (BSC)
SS - '?? Pop Lloyd (IDA) Won by Fukuoka Finger-Bangers!
LF - The Mystery Box!
CF - '37 Joe DiMaggio (ATA)
RF - '58 Hank Aaron (DEM)
DH - '20 Babe loving Ruth (QUE)
SP - '16 Walter Johnson (ATA)
SP - '00 Randy Johnson (PRP/DOR)
SP - '04 Ed Walsh (CHB)
SP - '93 Roger Clemens (BSC)
RP - '01 Mariano Rivera (CLU/PRO)
RP - '77 Bruce Sutter (KOL/LEP)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Maybe the defense isn't exactly helping, but Jim Bunning's killing me in the rotation right now. It does look like it's time to panic when he looks more like Mike Pelfrey than a Hall of Fame pitcher.

And by panic, I mean possibly using a ratings challenge. Might be a bad roll.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 4, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Finger-Bangers:

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito

I like this, but it just seems like there is something missing. Perhaps a late pick or OF/RP body as a filler?

Cultists:

Ryne Sandberg -
Carlton or Martinez -
Larry Walker -
Frank Smith -
Kim Byung Hung -
Free Merc Services for any challenge except those I am planning to make myself.

Your inclusion of Sandberg is keeping you in this race. Carlton is acceptable and Larry Walker ups the ante. Not sure how much I have to have him right now though, considering my pitching and infield woes.

Frank Smith I see as a back-end starter/long reliever, which is ok. Kim is filler. The team challenge use is a real wildcard here.

Right now I am on the fence.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I can add Larry Gardner. - a 1911 infielder rated 88/93 in my minors. He's filler for me, but he's better than your current 3B guy by a lot, and can play 2B and 3B fine so long term he will ride the pine and be a backup and defensive replacement. Basically like all deadballer a he is a speedy slap hitter with good arm and range and a medicore glove.

He would be my utility guy if I hadn't traded for Nomar. That gives you an upgrade at 2B, 3B, outfield - walker is in his MVP year - and your rotation.

You need a reliever to because your bullpen is killing you.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Also you can have sisaki instead of Kim if you want

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Not to rush any of you, but time does keep marching on...

Smasher League Week 6 Injury Report

No new Champions

Two things:

1. The Mudholes have somehow come back to life, meaning that they'll want to make that trade sooner rather that later, as there's a decent chance they'll knock themselves out of the top draft spot if they keep this up.

2. cbx seems to think that his team's relative struggles are due to a mis-entered lineup. I personally have another theory, you see...no, I'll let him explain it:

: Hello, old friend, it is I, Mike Boddicker. You know, it takes a certain amount of courage to make me your #4 starter in the Super-League. Others will laugh at you, call you names, mock you endlessly. In fact, when Smasher Dynamo writes your obit, and, it's fair to say that this is inevitable when I am starting for your team, I would expect several paragraphs describing the sheer extent of the damage I did to your team. But you ignore all of that, and start my regardless, and for that, I salute you!

Cologne Emperors
Martin Dihigo (SP) (Fractured Skull) - 63 days
Matt Mantei (RP) (Broken Hand from punching some sort of skull-shaped object) - 21 days

Juneau Juggernauts
Eddie Watt (RP) (Tainted Fresca) - Out for Season

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Cologne Emperors
Matt Mantei (RP) (Broken Hand from punching some sort of skull-shaped object) - 21 days

Should the Super-League persist I will call my new team the Glass Men or something akin to that. The Cultist already have a huge league so the playoff were already hard to reach even without my whole team imploding on me.

Roster changes

THE Thornton Lee as 2nd starter, Rube Walberg as 5th starter and Chad Bradford as Middle Relief.

Bloody Hell...

CVE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Well, the anticipated sucking has begun. However, there is one area I can at least alter a bit; stick Elliott in on both sides of the lineup, since Sandoval has apparently decided he's not interested in playing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

No new Champions

Two things:

1. The Mudholes have somehow come back to life, meaning that they'll want to make that trade sooner rather that later, as there's a decent chance they'll knock themselves out of the top draft spot if they keep this up.

2. cbx seems to think that his team's relative struggles are due to a mis-entered lineup. I personally have another theory, you see...no, I'll let him explain it:

: Hello, old friend, it is I, Mike Boddicker. You know, it takes a certain amount of courage to make me your #4 starter in the Super-League. Others will laugh at you, call you names, mock you endlessly. In fact, when Smasher Dynamo writes your obit, and, it's fair to say that this is inevitable when I am starting for your team, I would expect several paragraphs describing the sheer extent of the damage I did to your team. But you ignore all of that, and start my regardless, and for that, I salute you!

Cologne Emperors

Juneau Juggernauts
Eddie Watt (RP) (Tainted Fresca) - Out for Season

I'd still like to see accurate snapshots of my team. I might be starting Boddicker, but I have no clue who's actually playing out in the field and what my actual stats are. Is that honestly too much to ask?