Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

I just can't get over how funny Scharpling's description of Frank Zappa's music is. "A skipping record of Bitch's Brew over an obscene phone call"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I just can't get over how funny Scharpling's description of Frank Zappa's music is. "A skipping record of Bitch's Brew over an obscene phone call"

Yeah, even as someone who is a huge Zappa fan there's nothing better than when Bryce calls in from Newbridge to request that Zappa song everyone loves, "Jazz Fart".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a non Zappa fan I always assumed Jazz Fart was a real song until a friend called me out on it.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Scharpling implies that Paul F Tompkins is evil in this last episode, haha. That must have been some royal loving-over he gave him. It's a great episode by the way. That weird female caller "Quinn" who wouldn't "say she wasn't" friends with Tim Allen and then hung up, and Scharpling making Spike revise his nickname for Kevin Costner. That "there you go!" when he finally lands on Kevin Costco makes me laugh whenever I think of it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Scharpling implies that Paul F Tompkins is evil in this last episode, haha. That must have been some royal loving-over he gave him. It's a great episode by the way. That weird female caller "Quinn" who wouldn't "say she wasn't" friends with Tim Allen and then hung up, and Scharpling making Spike revise his nickname for Kevin Costner. That "there you go!" when he finally lands on Kevin Costco makes me laugh whenever I think of it.
I was really hoping he'd end up at Kevin Blahhhhstner

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Clearly Paul F. Tompkins was replaced by his duplicate from the mirror universe, complete with facial hair!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Wasn't Tompkins Scharplings partner on the pilot he had in development for Conedy Central which died?

Possibly some bad blood over that project?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I like to think the prog article Vance talked about at the end of the show was my doing, when I forwarded the email to Tom. Probably got a ton of emails on it though.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Wasn't Tompkins Scharplings partner on the pilot he had in development for Conedy Central which died?

Possibly some bad blood over that project?

Yeah it started with people noticing that they stopped following each other on twitter. Wish I could hear the full story someday.

"I'll feed ya garbage."

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
No best show this week:
This week only: Todd-o-phonic Todd
Special: Todd-o-phonic Todd fills in for the Best Show

So potentially not even a "Best Show" style show either.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I have recently discovered Spike's facebook acct

EDIT: http://www.facebook.com/Soapking1965?fref=nf_fr

For those of us who are new, Spike is a regular caller.

Believe it or not, Spike is actually a large middle aged black homosexual man, rather than the fat, tiny bald white guy. And yes, that is John Wesley Shipp.

shut up netface fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 1, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

shut up netface posted:

I have recently discovered Spike's facebook acct

EDIT: http://www.facebook.com/Soapking1965?fref=nf_fr

For those of us who are new, Spike is a regular caller.

Believe it or not, Spike is actually a large middle aged black homosexual man, rather than the fat, tiny bald white guy. And yes, that is John Wesley Shipp.

Holy poo poo WHAT

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Languages: American English and Simlish.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It's a milestone in every Best Show fan's journey when he finds out what Spike really looks like. I used to picture him looking like Tobin Bell!

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

The Bunk posted:

It's a milestone in every Best Show fan's journey when he finds out what Spike really looks like. I used to picture him looking like Tobin Bell!

...terrifying

I thought he looked more like the Sit On You guy from Tim And Eric

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Bunk posted:

I originally pictured him as Asian (for no discernible reason).

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

The Bunk posted:

Yes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8bW3KonEU. Look at that apartment...

Good show last week too.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Good show last week too.

I think I'm getting a little sick of Gary the Squirrel. Or at least I find it more funny when he's ripping into Mike vs "Comedians Are Nuts" but I suppose it was a special case of Kurt needing to advertise the last HotTub show.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

My only problem with Gary is that he's too hard for people to understand on the phone, so Tom has to repeat all his jokes when the person isn't in the studio. Everything he does kills me though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was getting sick of Gary too, but last weeks show re-sold me on him. Like him or not, If other Best Show gimmicks are any indication, he probably isn't going to be around for more than a few more months. Tom runs poo poo into the ground all of the time then pretty much never mentions it again.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
David Rees and his scary amount of knowledge about pencils was my favorite part of the episode. Damned if I didn't seriously consider buying a pencil from him by the time the show was over.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Pretty overt reference to PFT last night when Tom was talking about his Skum List. Must of been a pretty nasty split.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Was hanging out at my Tony's Darts Away in Los Angeles on my day off and saw two Best Show t-shirts in 3 hours. A WFMU shirt, and a Best Show premium shirt. It's growing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Pretty overt reference to PFT last night when Tom was talking about his Skum List. Must of been a pretty nasty split.

Yeah.... https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/252595863757668355

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm usually always on team scharpling but it's ridiculously childish that he frequently makes public passive aggressive comments about PFT and then refuses to say what even happened.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I'm usually always on team scharpling but it's ridiculously childish that he frequently makes public passive aggressive comments about PFT and then refuses to say what even happened.

Well, I'm not sure coming out and talking about their personal business would be the best idea either. I think I remember that PFT is responsible for getting a thread on the topic shut down at AST, so it seems like he's the catalyst behind whatever happened (or at least the one who severed the ties) as well as the person who doesn't want to talk about it at all. It just seems like Tom was blindsided by the end of one of his closest friendships and may not know exactly how to deal with it. In any case, it's a sad situation all around. The Best Show introduced me to PFT, and listening to him make appearances on other shows isn't as fun to me any more. It's kind of like a couple of your friends going through a divorce, as strange as that may sound.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Can we quit discussing the feud all the time? We are probably never going to find out what happened, and I'm sure neither one of them like people discussing their private affairs. They are two really funny guys who had a falling out. Both of them are still really funny and, by all accounts, super nice people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree. I was just saying Tom needs to stop bringing it up on his show and on twitter if wants people to leave it alone.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
You guys are right. In any case, I'm about halfway through this week's podcast. The 'Uncle Crizzle' guy used to write for the Raleigh newspaper. I have no idea whether he was doing a (bad) bit or his call was unintentionally that bad.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I liked how the topic Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due turned into a Mike Love-fest. He's the worst.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Julie Klausner is in studio tonight!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Speaking of FZ, this week's gem features Bryce tormenting Tom with his Zappa memories. This is easily one of the funniest bits I've ever heard on the show, the legend of "Jazz Fart".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have to thank Tom. Never thought I would be blocked by Chuck Woolery on Twitter.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

Speaking of FZ, this week's gem features Bryce tormenting Tom with his Zappa memories. This is easily one of the funniest bits I've ever heard on the show, the legend of "Jazz Fart".

I hadn't heard this before, and I think I really wish "Jazz Fart" was a real song. The little bit of Jon Wurster singing it keeps on getting stuck in my head

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Last week's episode was really great. Anytime Tom has a guest in studio is gold. Have checked out this weeks yet though.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I have to thank Tom. Never thought I would be blocked by Chuck Woolery on Twitter.

haha I forgot to tweet to him that Tom says Hello. Correcting now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Best Show Gems just put out what may be my favorite Best Show bit ever, the 2008 Newbridge Mayubernational Debate.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Probably won't be a show tonight:
From WFMU's website:

"The Storm has taken out power at our studios and BOTH our 91.1 and 90.1 fm transmitters, so WFMU is now completely silent. As soon as power is restored we will get back on the air. Thanks for the many well wishers and we hope to be providing glorious radio over the FM airwaves soon. Fortunately everybody is safe and the WFMU basement is still miraculously dry. More updates will be posted right here."

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Groucho Marxist posted:

Best Show Gems just put out what may be my favorite Best Show bit ever, the 2008 Newbridge Mayubernational Debate.

Holy crap, you weren't kidding. It's over and hour and a half of Wurster characters debating one another, with Tom moderating. By far my new favorite bit, thank you for the recommendation.

you are the earth
Jan 2, 2004

all i evereverevereverever believed in was all of us together all along
Hey, I'm the guy who calls in as James and hangs up!

Nice to see this thread here! I'm holding on to hope that Tom will livecast from his house, as a few WFMU DJ's have been in the last few hours.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm trying to listen to all the Best Show Gems. So good. The first Philly Boy Roy appearance doesn't sound like him at all really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm trying to listen to all the Best Show Gems. So good. The first Philly Boy Roy appearance doesn't sound like him at all really.

Wait WHHAAAAAAAT?

Also, judging by twitter there should be an episode tonight in some capacity. Can't wait. I unfortunately expect that Mit Hamine guy to call in though (Probably can't "Bad Company" with the state WFMU is in right now)