Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Conservative humor, guys! It's a riot!

quote:

George Bush, Queen Elizabeth, and Vladimir Putin all die and go to hell. While there, they spy a red phone and ask what the phone is for. The devil tells them it is for calling back to Earth.

Putin asks to call Russia and talks for 5 minutes. When he is finished the devil informs him that the cost is a million dollars, so Putin writes him a check. Next Queen Elizabeth calls England and talks for
30 minutes. When she is finished the devilinforms her that the cost is 6 million dollars, so she writes him a check. Finally George Bush gets his turn and talks for 4 hours. When he is finished the devil informs him that the cost is $5.00. When Putin hears this he goes ballistic and asks the devil why Bush got to call the USA so cheaply.

The devil smiles and replies, " Since Obama took over , the country has gone to hell, so it's a local call."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

This is another example of that "This is funny because it reinforces my beliefs!" type of humour that was deconstructed earlier in the thread.

Also the joke makes no sense. Why is Queen Elizabeth, a monarch with no power, lumped in with two republican presidents with great deals of power? Why does it cost money to call Earth? Why do these people have money in hell, and why would they expect their bank to validate a cheque written after they were dead and cashed from hell? Unless... hell is a free market state! Only those with money get to do things! It's actually a subversive liberal joke undermining the free market, guys.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
And that devil turned out to be Albert Einstein (because Jews go to hell)

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Wardark Grimhams posted:

well this is also the Mom who on the way home from a friend's funeral said (paraphrasing) "Now I don't want you going all liberal on me, Universal Health Care wouldn't have saved him"

UHC won't make us immortal, so why bother?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
"50 people each employed and paying 15% tax each, gets more revenue than 1 person working paying 35% tax."

If I understand this is an argument for eliminating the minimum wage. If we accept that 7,250/yr is a realistic expectation for a minimum wage earner (20 hrs/wk X 50 weeks) they aren't even in the 15% bracket unless they are working three jobs. If we eliminate the minimum wage and suppose the above wage is cut in half that person now has to work six (?) jobs to be in the 15% bracket.

Someone working full time at the minimum wage still isn't in the 15% bracket.

There is also the consideration that if Company X hires more people at lower wages and doesn't increase sales they are simply paying the same overall wages as before and the net effect on tax income is negligible.

I would also challenge the assertion that Ronald Reagan "proved" it especially since the tax brackets were much different (and higher) then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

wormil posted:

"50 people each employed and paying 15% tax each, gets more revenue than 1 person working paying 35% tax."

If I understand this is an argument for eliminating the minimum wage. If we accept that 7,250/yr is a realistic expectation for a minimum wage earner (20 hrs/wk X 50 weeks) they aren't even in the 15% bracket unless they are working three jobs. If we eliminate the minimum wage and suppose the above wage is cut in half that person now has to work six (?) jobs to be in the 15% bracket.

Someone working full time at the minimum wage still isn't in the 15% bracket.

I was curious about the math here. Let's say income tax gets changed so 'everyone has skin in the game' and people working minimum wage get taxed 15%, in this guy's dad's crazy world. Doubling your 7,250/yr to account for a 40-hour week, you have 50 people making $14,500 a year. That's $725,000. At 15%, they're bringing in $108,750 for the government.

One person who makes enough money to pay taxes in the 35% bracket (applying marginal rates here, because why the hell not) makes this much, not counting deductions:

10% on 8,700 = 870 +
15% up to 35,350 = 3,997.5 +
25% up to 85,650 = 12,575 +
28% up to 178,650 = 26,040 +
33% up to 388,350 = 69,201

= $112,683.5 per year on income up to $388,350.

plus 35% on income over 388,351 = ?

So even before you get to the income that would actually be taxed at 35%, that one person actually is paying more taxes than those 50 people at minimum wage. And I bet you they still live a hell of a lot better, even after ":qq: all those taxes :qq:"

Not that this would convince that guy's dad. He would use it as evidence that rich person taxes are too high and we should cut those while raising taxes on the poor, undoubtedly. But to use it as an excuse to eliminate minimum wage so more people will get jobs and contribute to government revenue instead of just taxing people who make more in a year than those people would make in their lives at minimum wage is ludicrous, and the math doesn't add up.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

It would have been funnier if they didn't explain the punchline...

"Since Obama took over, it is a local call."

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

vyelkin posted:

He would use it as evidence that rich person taxes are too high
This is my dad. He gets upset if I talk about raising the taxes on the wealthy and says "well, they pay a lot more than YOU DO" and uses real dollars rather than percentages in his argument. OK, that's true, but it certainly doesn't mean that I should pay more.

I find that most conservatives that I know use wealth and income as a metric for measuring the worth of a person, and that's just beyond hosed up.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Einstein posted:

I find that most conservatives that I know use wealth and income as a metric for measuring the worth of a person, and that's just beyond hosed up.

It's just one of the many horrifying ways in which Mr. Show sketch ideas have become a reality, and probably right at the top of the list along with "Toddlers and Tiaras".

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Leon Einstein posted:

There's a reason we call it "net worth."

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

This is my dad. He gets upset if I talk about raising the taxes on the wealthy and says "well, they pay a lot more than YOU DO" and uses real dollars rather than percentages in his argument. OK, that's true, but it certainly doesn't mean that I should pay more.

Yeah, but people like Romney pay more in taxes in a single year, at a measly 14% rate than most Americans will make in their entire life. And after the taxes are paid they still have so much left over that they live several lifetimes off of one year of after tax income. You could double his tax rate and he would still make enough in a year to set him up for a long middle class life without ever earning a penny more. I really don't understand why this concept is so hard to understand.

Is your dad at all religious? If so you could point him to Mark 12: 41-44.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

You could double his tax rate and he would still make enough in a year to set him up for a long middle class life without ever earning a penny more.

Well, if he's not going to earn another penny, why not make it a 100% income tax?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

wormil posted:

Little quick back of the napkin math using a web tax calculator. The numbers are very loose, but this points out how bad the underlying concept of that statement is. Let's say we have someone making $400K a year, filing single, no deductions, personal exemption only. Their tax burden is $113,349. Divide that by 50 and we get $2,266.98 per person. If we assume that 15% is the minimum tax bracket and that it applies no matter how low your income is, then they have to be making at least $15,113.20 a year. Divide by 2080 hours/year, that's...about $7.25 an hour. So, in order to make the same tax revenue as one person in the current 35% bracket, you have to have fifty people making right around minimum loving wage. Not more. The same amount of tax revenue requires the current federal minimum wage.

e:f;b. But seriously, mathematical refutations of idiotic arguments are fun. Would have done it anyway.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't know where this belongs, but recently in the office mailbox a hardcopy of this showed up.

Dig in.

EDIT:

quote:

Obama and T. Pickens seem on the right track. Just in the last month Obama talked solar-wind-tide and of a new work force for energy; that i know of; i don't keep up with all of what people say

:stare:

quote:

For what true identities are, study www.endtimesscrollsdelivered.com; istmas, for a logical consistant statement; Portent: Existential Astronomy, for the Deity who is guarding us; "little open papers," for the Deity's work to prepare us that we evolve into our perfection, to accomplish in the universe

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 5, 2012

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

Well, if he's not going to earn another penny, why not make it a 100% income tax?

Sorry, not sure if this is a joke or if you were making a serious point and it went over my head.

I was saying, if you took the $21M Mitt made in 2010, took out double tax ($7M) he and his wife could live off of $140k a year (way way more than most Americans make a year) for 100 years. 100 years worth of good income, AFTER double taxes, all "earned" in a single year. That's how much income we're talking about, and why the idea of large taxes doesn't dissuade people from working hard to get to that kind of income. Even at massive tax rates the remaining take home pay is still huge.

I wasn't saying he would stop, just that a single year of income provided him and his wife with enough money that they could live off it for decades without needing to ever work again.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

Sorry, not sure if this is a joke or if you were making a serious point and it went over my head.

I was making a silly joke about income taxes (the worst kind of joke).

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Here is a great little blog entry on the history of taxes in the US.

Some excerpts:

Business Insider Article posted:

Today's government spending levels are indeed too high, at least relative to the average level of tax revenue the government has generated over the past 60 years. Unless Americans are willing to radically increase the amount of taxes they pay relative to GDP, government spending must be cut.

- Today's income tax rates are strikingly low relative to the rates of the past century, especially for rich people. For most of the century, including some boom times, top-bracket income tax rates were much higher than they are today.

- Contrary to what Republicans would have you believe, super-high tax rates on rich people do not appear to hurt the economy or make people lazy: During the 1950s and early 1960s, the top bracket income tax rate was over 90%--and the economy, middle-class, and stock market boomed.

- Super-low tax rates on rich people also appear to be correlated with unsustainable sugar highs in the economy--brief, enjoyable booms followed by protracted busts. They also appear to be correlated with very high inequality. (For example, see the 1920s and now).

- Periods of very low tax rates have been followed by periods with very high tax rates, and vice versa. So history suggests that tax rates will soon start going up.

The article has some very good additional material. One thing to note is that many of the tax increases have occurred during wars. Despite having been involved in two simultaneous, long-term wars we've neglected raising taxes to pay for them.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Countblanc posted:

That's some of it, but I think Romney actually said it best last night when he said it's a "moral issue." It's the same poo poo you hear with voting fraud - "Any fraud is too much fraud!" People don't care that the programs to fix a non-problem would actually result in significantly fewer people legally voting, they just know that someone broke the law and we can't have that no matter what. These same individuals just know that some amount of poor people are getting some percentage of the American Tax Payer's Dollars, and that simply isn't moral to them, regardless of how much money it is.

It's the mentality that comes out when people talk about harm reduction. "I find these people disgusting, so I'd rather see them suffer than have them be less oppressed."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Why do people think taxing the rich removes individual incentive? Even if your income is taxed you are still making more money :psyduck:.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why do people think taxing the rich removes individual incentive? Even if your income is taxed you are still making more money :psyduck:.
At least for some people, it stems from not understanding marginal tax rates, and thinking that they can wind up losing significant amounts of money by going up to the next bracket. And some of it is just flat-out spite - they'd rather make less money if it means giving less to the government. The rest is probably just platitudes and Just So Stories.

At least, that's what I've been able to gather.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

At least for some people, it stems from not understanding marginal tax rates, and thinking that they can wind up losing significant amounts of money by going up to the next bracket. And some of it is just flat-out spite - they'd rather make less money if it means giving less to the government. The rest is probably just platitudes and Just So Stories.

At least, that's what I've been able to gather.

For some reason, maybe payroll taxes, maybe the way federal income tax is taken out of a biweekly check, this actually occurs. And by actually, I mean that checks with lots of overtime on them actually end up being smaller than a non-overtime laden check. Maybe that was an issue with payroll department for the hospital I used to work for, but there were a number of nurses who kept careful tabs on the amount of overtime they worked so their checks weren't magically shrunk.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Soonmot posted:

For some reason, maybe payroll taxes, maybe the way federal income tax is taken out of a biweekly check, this actually occurs. And by actually, I mean that checks with lots of overtime on them actually end up being smaller than a non-overtime laden check. Maybe that was an issue with payroll department for the hospital I used to work for, but there were a number of nurses who kept careful tabs on the amount of overtime they worked so their checks weren't magically shrunk.

Then you probably had a lovely payroll department that screwed up withholdings because the tax system simply does not work that way. That or everyone was scared of a myth.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Soonmot posted:

I've something sort of similar. Basically, the payroll system assumes whatever you earned on THAT check x 26 is your actual yearly salary, and withholds taxes at that level. At the end of the year you'd end up getting the over-withholding back of course.

That being said, there would still have to be some problem with the way the payroll system or the individual's withholding settings to end up making less than a regular check.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Crackbone posted:

I've something sort of similar. Basically, the payroll system assumes whatever you earned on THAT check x 26 is your actual yearly salary, and withholds taxes at that level. At the end of the year you'd end up getting the over-withholding back of course.

That being said, there would still have to be some problem with the way the payroll system or the individual's withholding settings to end up making less than a regular check.
You can change your w4 at any time and tell a payroll department what to withhold (or to withhold nothing) for any pay period if you want. Before I went back to school I used to do this fairly frequently if I needed a quick infusion of cash, just turn withholdings off and work a shitload of overtime for a couple of weeks. The idea that working more can get you paid less is loving retarded.

edit: typo repair

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 5, 2012

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

andrew smash posted:

You can change your w4 at any time and tell a payroll department what to withhold (or to withhold nothing) for any pay period if you want. Before I went back to school I used to do this fairly frequently if I needed a quick infusion of cash, just turn withholdings off and work a shitload of overtime for a couple of weeks. The idea that working more can get you paid less is loving retarded.

edit: typo repair

And if you don't do that, you will get a nice return at tax time. It never ceases to amaze me how uninformed people are about how taxes would work. You'd think people would bother to learn just a little bit about that big chunk of change that gets taken every check.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because at some point it's not about money as something you use to buy things. It's more about money as some sort of scoring mechanism. There's two conflicting definitions of "fair" at play here. Unless you understand what the other guy means by fair, there's no way to understand what the hell he is talking about.

People also prefer to make $15k in a community where average wage is $10k rather than make $30k in a community where average wage is $40k even if the dollar has same purchasing power in both communities. It's essentially the same phenomenon.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Not sure where else to ask this, so I might as well do so here. Anyone heard of the "National Council on Family Relations" ? They publish a journal (J of Marriage & Family) that a friend was asking about. I'm always wary of any group with "marriage" or "family" in the name, but a brief search reveals nothing suspicious (pretty typical manuscript guidelines, papers that look fine, no shady names I recognize, etc.). Are they legit or just really good at camouflaging being another bad group?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Soonmot posted:

And by actually, I mean that checks with lots of overtime on them actually end up being smaller than a non-overtime laden check.
If this actually happened, they got the extra money back in their tax refund. Anybody that thinks working overtime will somehow net them less money overall is pretty stupid.

The only way I can think this could happen is if payroll for some reason decides that you always make your overtime rate, and tax you at a higher rate for the whole check. I have a second job, and they tax me at the lowest rate because they don't know I have a first job that puts me in a higher tax bracket. Same sort of thing, but in reverse. I end up having to owe for that job at the end of the year.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Zero_Grade posted:

Not sure where else to ask this, so I might as well do so here. Anyone heard of the "National Council on Family Relations" ? They publish a journal (J of Marriage & Family) that a friend was asking about. I'm always wary of any group with "marriage" or "family" in the name, but a brief search reveals nothing suspicious (pretty typical manuscript guidelines, papers that look fine, no shady names I recognize, etc.). Are they legit or just really good at camouflaging being another bad group?

I think they are a legit group of psychologists, sociologists and other professionals in social sciences that does research and education to help families. They don't seem to be a conservative "family means we hate gays" group.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Zero_Grade posted:

Just browsing a few abstracts from that journal, they seem like non-ideological researchers thus far.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

andrew smash posted:

Just browsing a few abstracts from that journal, they seem like non-ideological researchers thus far.
Yeah I did the same thing (institutional journal access rocks even when it's not in your field) and nothing was jumping out at me, I wanted to be sure though. Thanks y'all.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah I did the same thing (institutional journal access rocks even when it's not in your field) and nothing was jumping out at me, I wanted to be sure though. Thanks y'all.

No problem, and I don't blame you. Any group that has "family" in the name immediately sets off red flags for me too.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Sarion posted:

No problem, and I don't blame you. Any group that has "family" in the name immediately sets off red flags for me too.
But they're just so helpful in delineating themselves with their ridiculous names. I mean, if I brought up a study being pushed by the National American Heritage Family Council of Businesses for Freedom, you wouldn't even have to even have to do a cursory google. So much time saved.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

ZobarStyl posted:

But they're just so helpful in delineating themselves with their ridiculous names. I mean, if I brought up a study being pushed by the National American Heritage Family Council of Businesses for Freedom, you wouldn't even have to even have to do a cursory google. So much time saved.

It's entirely possible that the National Council on Family Relations predates the usage of "family" as a flag for "we hate anything that is not a man, a woman, and 2.3 children of different genders". There are other groups, that I can't recall off hand, from the 40s and 50s that existed to actually help families or do real sociological research on family models (things like emigration, income, and structural relations). It's not their fault the crazies took their word.

It's like "conservative" and "Republican".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sicarius posted:

It's entirely possible that the National Council on Family Relations predates the usage of "family" as a flag for "we hate anything that is not a man, a woman, and 2.3 children of different genders". There are other groups, that I can't recall off hand, from the 40s and 50s that existed to actually help families or do real sociological research on family models (things like emigration, income, and structural relations). It's not their fault the crazies took their word.

It's like "conservative" and "Republican".

.3 of a different gender? That sounds like liberal talk.

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

I took apart the first paragraph, I asked them if it was a requirement to be a citizen to be in the country. Can you guys help me with the second part? I don't know enough specifics about the ACA.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

mhachtx posted:

I took apart the first paragraph, I asked them if it was a requirement to be a citizen to be in the country. Can you guys help me with the second part? I don't know enough specifics about the ACA.

Ask them to show you where the ppaca says that, because it doesn't.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

mhachtx posted:

It's bullshit. Just Google "affordable care act illegal immigrants". All the links talk about how the ACA doesn't cover illegal immigrants. In fact, it cuts the funding that hospitals get for treating illegal immigrants who go to the emergency room.

EDIT: Even more specifically here, where the relevant statues are quoted:

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/issues/fact-vs-fiction

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

Crackbone posted:

It's bullshit. Just Google "affordable care act illegal immigrants". All the links talk about how the ACA doesn't cover illegal immigrants. In fact, it cuts the funding that hospitals get for treating illegal immigrants who go to the emergency room.

EDIT: Even more specifically here, where the relevant statues are quoted:

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/issues/fact-vs-fiction

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

PPACA also does not give a poo poo if you are a citizen or not, only if you are in the country legally. Coming to the US for some kind of "tour of duty" for your company for 9 months? Better get insurance or you'll get hit with the tax. There is a waiver for people who go without insurance for less than 3 months though, so if you're just visiting it doesn't apply.