Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I took the FSOT today and it didn't seem too challenging. It also didn't seem like a test one could study for. If you had no background at all (never reads the news, no interest in world events, slept though US history class etc) it would take quite some time to amass the right amount of information.
I struggled with some management-related questions; the terminology is pretty unfamiliar to me. Maybe that's something I'd "cram" for on a future attempt, heh. The bio section and the essay, which people always say are hard, was very straightforward and there was sufficient time to write everything.

I guess we'll find out in 3-5 weeks.

hitension fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I got QEP dumped last year and will be taking the test again tomorrow in Seoul. I think I was too modest on the biographical section last time and will really be emphasizing grad school and all the student leadership work I've been doing.

To anyone looking for cram topics, it really helps to know the constitution.

Good luck guys!

Edit: and now the waiting. Oh the waiting....

tismondo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 4, 2012

Lyra
Mar 26, 2006

:unsmith: :effort: :smith:

In my search for interesting things to read about diplomacy and the history of politics while pondering a future career in the State Department, I came across this: Great Negotiations by Fredrik Stanton.

The reviews suggest that this was a great choice so I'm glad I snagged it while at the bookstore. Does anyone else have some good suggestions for appropriate reading?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger can get pretty dense if you don't like reading about this stuff but it is also a pretty amazingly comprehensive study on US foreign relations. I've read it once for fun and once for a class and there is no way you'll read that and not come across as a subject area expert to the layperson.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Do QEP questions/ topics stay pretty static, year to year? Since I got dinged on that this time around, I'm wondering if I should rewrite the ones I submitted this summer to make a few of them suck a bit less for the next time around or would that be a waste of time?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Azuth0667 posted:

How does the FSOT compare to other entrance exams like the GRE/PCAT/MCAT/GMAT?

E: Also can this job be done while fat? I see a medical requirement but that looks to be to weed out diabetics and other chronic illness possessing people.

Yes, you can be fat, as long as you can move on your own and not need a Rascal to get around.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

Yes, you can be fat, as long as you can move on your own and not need a Rascal to get around.

:goonsay:

Is there a way to make an FSO version?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Good luck to everyone testing this week! Hard to believe it's been a year already since my FSOT.

Jacobobb posted:

Do QEP questions/ topics stay pretty static, year to year? Since I got dinged on that this time around, I'm wondering if I should rewrite the ones I submitted this summer to make a few of them suck a bit less for the next time around or would that be a waste of time?

It would probably not be a waste of time. If nothing else it will get you reacquainted with how freaking short they have to be and working on writing concisely. And if it turns out you can re-use or slightly modify some of your old answers, it will give you more time for the others.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
I took the written test yesterday in Fort Worth. I barely finished the biographical section on time, and only had 2 minutes left to look over my essay after I finished. The practice tests in the official study guide helped a lot, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I agree with everyone saying you can't really study for the test. For some reason, I took a lot of business electives in undergrad (BA in history, 1997), which, combined with Law School, pretty much covered the 'Job Knowledge' section. It's nice when the nonsensical choices I made in college actually help me out now.

Fingers crossed for 3-4 weeks . . .

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Hey, I saw your flag day! What field are you? If you're an IMS, one of your teachers went there for an extended period of time.

Congratulations, though!

Thanks! I'm an IMS. Which teacher? I just started tradecraft and I'm going into DOS applied next week.

btw, did you go to the joint bbq last weekend?

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

the_chavi posted:

Hey, congrats! I did my first tour out there in 2008-2009, and Zoots was there with me at the same time. What's the gig?

Thanks! I'm an IMS. What were you there as? :)

Zoots posted:

Oh yes - PAS in 2010-2011. I hope you can hold your liquor.

EDIT: by which, I mean, the Embassy pub is unbelievably amazing. Although I think with families the "frat party" atmosphere has rather fallen off by the wayside.

lol, i used to be able to...I gave up drinking for a while when I quit smoking four years ago (found out it was a "trigger"). I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine every now and then, though. i've got a family now, so i'm rather glad to hear the frat party atmo has fallen off.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

haggan posted:

Thanks! I'm an IMS. Which teacher? I just started tradecraft and I'm going into DOS applied next week.

btw, did you go to the joint bbq last weekend?

Yeah, that class will be after Applied Systems. The guy who went to Riydah's is Mr. Timmons and he loves cars.

Sadly, nope on the BBQ - wife just gave birth to a baby boy. He was goonin' it up in her womb so they finally got him out today. Can't believe I'm a dad. drat.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
High five! Congrats, goondad.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Well done! Great news!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
:ughh:

Apparently one of the promo cables included too many MSIs. Emails are going out to individuals pulling back MSIs. I've been fortunate to keep mine so far...

TCD fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 4, 2012

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

So I just took the FSOT today, and I was wondering how much of an impact the biographical section has. I felt totally comfortable with every part of the test except that one - I couldn't think of specific examples for a lot of things, so I probably undersold myself.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Econosaurus posted:

So I just took the FSOT today, and I was wondering how much of an impact the biographical section has. I felt totally comfortable with every part of the test except that one - I couldn't think of specific examples for a lot of things, so I probably undersold myself.
It sounds like you did exactly what I did last year. It's not the biggest portion but it's pretty significant!

It's what I've been worried most about leading up to my test on Saturday.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Econosaurus posted:

Yeah that part wrecked me in '08 when I was still an undergrad. The advice I've been given from other people is chances are you already have it, trying to apply past experiences from some BS job into governmentese.

I am doing some brief type outs for each of the 13 dimensions, and it kills me that I have more to talk about from my time as a manager in a Papa John's than I do for my first, full-time white collar job.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Econosaurus posted:

Unless things have changed, the bio section is worth about a third of your score.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

TCD posted:

:ughh:

Apparently one of the promo cables included too many MSIs. Emails are going out to individuals pulling back MSIs. I've been fortunate to keep mine so far...
No!

Fingers crossed we pull through on ours. Though I imagine if you haven't gotten an email yet you should be fine.

In other news, I'm using the long weekend to explore Brussels and Bruges. Any good brewery recommendations?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Econosaurus posted:

From what I recall, the general knowledge, English usage, and biographic sections combine for a total score. If your combined score is above the passing threshold, they'll grade your essay as well. So even if you bomb the biographic section, you can still pass and have your essay graded based on the strength of the other two sections.

The sticker is they apparently look back over your test scores during the QEP, so if they find a weakness there it might come back to bite you.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm currently a senior in an officer accession program for the Marine Corps, on track to commission August 2013. However, due to what may be a disqualifying but not disabling medical condition, I'm looking at having to find another way into the service of the United States.

The foreign service was one of many options I was considering for after I did my time as a water-walking (Lets be honest, hopelessly lost) Marine lieutenant if I decided not to go on, or even if I did decide to continue towards 20 years. Now that it may not happen, I'm looking very seriously at the foreign service.

I'm wondering what I should be doing right now if I think I'd make a kick-rear end PAO/Public Diplomat or political officer - you all sound like good people, I want to work with you. I don't have any internships anywhere, my internship this summer was Officer Candidate School.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 5, 2012

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I'm wondering what I should be doing right now if I think I'd make a kick-rear end PAO/Public Diplomat or political officer - you all sound like good people, I want to work with you. I don't have any internships anywhere, my internship this summer was Officer Candidate School.

You should sign up for the next FSOT.

Also, what you are describing is almost exactly what happened to me. In retrospect, I am so thankful I went the FS route instead.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Looks like November A-100 is officially cancelled. Holding on for January. This is agonizing, since I am unemployed.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Who has two thumbs, and wrote Econ@State's cable of the week?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

tismondo posted:

From what I recall, the general knowledge, English usage, and biographic sections combine for a total score. If your combined score is above the passing threshold, they'll grade your essay as well.

Oh, is that how it works? I know I did extremely well in the multiple choice/free answer portions, but I spent way too much time thinking about a proper answer for the essay and only wrote maybe half of what I intended before time was up. I thought I could maybe get a pass if it was all graded at once, but I guess not!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

Looks like November A-100 is officially cancelled. Holding on for January. This is agonizing, since I am unemployed.

That sucks...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Welp, think I've studied enough that I'll either be ready tomorrow or not. One question though, the 13 dimensions is mainly used through the oral assessment, right? Or would it be in my interest to stick as many of those in the biographical section as possible?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haggan posted:

Thanks! I'm an IMS. What were you there as? :)

Consular noob, as one does. Thank god I got that over and done with.

Diplomaticus posted:

Who has two thumbs, and wrote Econ@State's cable of the week?

Heyooooooo! Congrats, homeslice!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Gravel Gravy posted:

Welp, think I've studied enough that I'll either be ready tomorrow or not. One question though, the 13 dimensions is mainly used through the oral assessment, right? Or would it be in my interest to stick as many of those in the biographical section as possible?

I was literally going to post almost this same thing. Even though my test is in the evening, I'm planning on going to bed at like 10 so I DEFINITELY get a full night's sleep.

As far as the bio stuff, I just wrote down all the things I can't think of that I've done which are cool or show my abilities. I think the knowledge portion could go really great or really bad. I reviewed as much government and history as I can, but unfortunately I've spent most of the last five+ years studying South Asia. I did pretty well on the English portion and I'm confident in my essay writing abilities, so we'll see!

I mean, at least I won't be totally torn apart if I don't get it this year. I did just register less than a month ago, and I love my job. No harm no foul, can always start preparing further in advance next year!

Maybe I'll be surprised though :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Put examples of the 13 d's in your bio if you can, it's good practice for putting them into words, but don't let it make your bio weaker just to fit one in.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
e: removed

hitension fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 6, 2012

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Well that was fun. Bio section was much easier than before after getting enough experience to justify my responses. Essay was weaker than I would have liked but I think I did OK. Let's see if I make the curve this run.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I'm doing the evening test, so I'll be leaving in about a half hours. Yes, I'll probably be like an hour early. But that's better than getting lost or stuck in traffic and being late.

Time to display some Composure and Written Communication.

You know, these 13 D's don't even start with D >:[

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Aaaaand done. I either killed it or I didn't! I feel pretty good though.

edit: Funny story. After finishing the test in an hour and a half, I was so keyed up that it took me five minutes to find my sheet up front to sign myself out...after accidentally signing someone else's sheet. I think the lady thought I was crazy.

Also, I think they thought I was cheating when I was writing my essay, because I kept looking around as I was gathering my thoughts.

Oh god I'm so glad that's over.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 6, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from taking my test halfway across the goddamn state. I feel a lot more confident about the biographical section this year. And I feel like I demolished the essay section. We'll see in a couple weeks I guess!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I also feel pretty good about my performance. There were only one or two multiple-choice questions I was uncertain about, the biographical section asked about a lot of things I've done at my job, and I put together a compact but persuasive essay - I didn't get anywhere near the character limit, but sometimes being able to get to the point in fewer words is a virtue. We shall see, I guess.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Good job everyone, congrats! I remember last year when I was taking it, thinking I was crazy for going into the hallway to do pushups between sections to psych myself up!

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

echopapa posted:

I didn't get anywhere near the character limit
The instructions said the essay has no limit on length. I suppose the "limit" we were looking at while typing was intentionally set to an unnatural length for a 30 minute essay, because they don't want anyone to run out of space if they need it.

It must be that the testing system they use requires them to put something there for limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I took the FSOT today as well. I think I did fairly well on the questions. I'm only worried about my essay, I had a good argument but it wasn't very long.

edit: By the way has anyone read "From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations since 1776"? It's part of the Oxford history of the U.S. I picked it up on sale at a Borders that was closing a while ago and was wondering what you guys thought of it. Looks like it has good reviews on Amazon.

I'm about of a third of the way through the book and I haven't found myself skimming at all, which is surprising considering how huge it is. Every paragraph holds my attention.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Colony-S...y+to+superpower

Mustang fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 7, 2012