Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hellacopter posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo.

I had a phone interview with a manager yesterday for a hospital clear across the country and she said at the end that "If you will be moving on in this process you'll hear from HR." Okay sure, that's cool, I'm not too invested in the job and that I actually got an interview was reward (and unexpected) itself, so either a yea or a nay would be okay with me. :) Phone rings this morning and it's the lovely HR recruiter that first contacted me and set the interview up.

:j: Hi Hellacopter, I heard you had an interview with Ms. Manager yesterday. She was very impressed and she wanted me to ask if you were interested in coming out here for a face-to-face meeting with her and doing some job shadowing with some of the nurses on the unit.
:shobon: Aw, thanks recruiter, that would be wonderful but I'm a brokeass new grad and flying out there would be a burden for me. (I was kind of sad because thought that the phone interview was the deciding factor and that I wouldn't have to fly myself around to continue the interview process)
:j: Oh no, don't worry! It'd be on us and our travel department would set it up. Flight, hotel, and rental car so you can start checking out potential housing while you're there.
:shobon: :aaa: In that case, hell yeah!
:j: Okay! Let's plan for 2 weeks from now. You'll fly in on the 8th, have a meeting with Ms. Manager and do the job shadowing the 9th, explore and get to know the area on the 10th, and we'll fly you back home on the 11th. :)

This is for a loving new grad job, I'm not some seasoned nurse that they just can't live without. Yes, it's a pretty big hospital system but I've never heard of a hospital that's willing to fly out a new grad. And if they're dropping 2k on getting me out there and suggesting that I start looking into housing, does this mean that I need to just not be a giant fuckup at the inperson stuff and I have a pretty decent chance at getting this job? :psyduck:

First off, congrats. If they are dropping some cash to fly you out there and put you up, and they are comfortable with you being a new grad, I'd say you are in a great position. More than likely they'll bring you out to make sure you're not completely socially awkward, and have a peer interview with the folks from the unit you'll be working on.

Just curious, what state are you currently in and which one did you apply to? When I graduated in May, I sent some random applications around the country (Wyoming and Colorado) but never heard anything back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I do have a question about prioritization. Where does a patient's psychological needs fit in?

ABCs > Maslow's / Safety > Pain > *

For example (completely made up): A patient you are seeing is complaining of severe anxiety and pain.

Which would you treat first? The anxiety or pain?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Etrips posted:

I do have a question about prioritization. Where does a patient's psychological needs fit in?

For example (completely made up): A patient you are seeing is complaining of severe anxiety and pain.

If I have the option of giving morphine OR ativan, I'd give the morphine. The anxiety is compounded by the pain.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
Under most circumstances, physiological trumps psychological. Even with psych NCLEX questions, the answer is generally related to patient safety (and therefore physiological well-being).

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Etrips posted:

This will never be a thing you have to worry about on a test. Stop overthinking. Stop it. Stop.

Also maslow is not on the same level as safety which is before everything else forever always. ABC is just a breakdown of safety.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

First off, congrats. If they are dropping some cash to fly you out there and put you up, and they are comfortable with you being a new grad, I'd say you are in a great position. More than likely they'll bring you out to make sure you're not completely socially awkward, and have a peer interview with the folks from the unit you'll be working on.

Just curious, what state are you currently in and which one did you apply to? When I graduated in May, I sent some random applications around the country (Wyoming and Colorado) but never heard anything back.
This is reassuring and I suppose I should just approach it as just a normal interview and let my winning personality shine. :D I suppose it's innapropriate to start asking if I'd be eligible for relocation assistance since I don't have a job offer yet? I'm from California and the hospital is in western Virginia so it'd be a big move, but it'd be one that I'd be happy to make if I had some help from them. This'd be my first real job.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

This is reassuring and I suppose I should just approach it as just a normal interview and let my winning personality shine. :D I suppose it's innapropriate to start asking if I'd be eligible for relocation assistance since I don't have a job offer yet? I'm from California and the hospital is in western Virginia so it'd be a big move, but it'd be one that I'd be happy to make if I had some help from them. This'd be my first real job.

drat, apparently I need to start applying in Western Virginia.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hellacopter posted:

If they are willing to fly you out there for an interview, they would most likely provide you with some kind of relocation assistance. I mean, never assume, but personally this isn't something that I would ask during the interview. It's not about what the hospital can provide you with, it's what you can bring to the hospital.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Hellacopter posted:

I'm from California and the hospital is in western Virginia so it'd be a big move,

I am from western Virginia and I would make sure that you seriously consider the area before moving. I do not know what exact area you are moving to but the general area is the poorest in the state. Jobs are scarce (even more so than the rest of the country). It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL out in that area just keep in mind that there are not a lot of opportunities in the area. If you have kids (or plan on having them) there is not much for entertainment and many of the youth end up in trouble.

My advice would be on your free day go exploring and maybe chat up some locals on what they think of the place.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

My advice would be on your free day go exploring and maybe chat up some locals on what they think of the place.

Yeah it's nice that they give you a day to explore. My friend applied to hospitals in North Carolina, interviewed on Skype and got the job. The hospital didn't offer relocation assistance but they DID have two apartment complexes next to the hospital that they were contracted with, so he basically had an apartment waiting for him at reduced cost. However, once he got there he found out that the area he moved to was basically 95% retired people - not very awesome for a single 24 yr old dude.

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I am from western Virginia and I would make sure that you seriously consider the area before moving. I do not know what exact area you are moving to but the general area is the poorest in the state. Jobs are scarce (even more so than the rest of the country). It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL out in that area just keep in mind that there are not a lot of opportunities in the area. If you have kids (or plan on having them) there is not much for entertainment and many of the youth end up in trouble.

Yea, be very very careful with those "too good to be true" offers... They may be recruiting from very far away and making extremely attractive offers because the unit/hospital is a sinking ship. Pay close attention to the turnover rate of the floor nurses and the atmosphere on the unit the day you shadow. Maybe their nurse recruitment office can hook you up the the number/email of someone else they recruited from your side of the country so you can hear their experience?
Or maybe you are just really awesome, good luck either way :)

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Baby_Hippo posted:

Yeah it's nice that they give you a day to explore. My friend applied to hospitals in North Carolina, interviewed on Skype and got the job. The hospital didn't offer relocation assistance but they DID have two apartment complexes next to the hospital that they were contracted with, so he basically had an apartment waiting for him at reduced cost. However, once he got there he found out that the area he moved to was basically 95% retired people - not very awesome for a single 24 yr old dude.

That is pretty much this area as well. Most 20 somethings that are not working in coal mines or a factory get the hell out of dodge. There are no colleges in the area (except a community college) so that is the excuse to leave and never come back. This could be a reason the hospital is desperate because there are no new grads coming back to the area. Is the hospital in the Wellmont Group by chance?

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I'm headed to Roanoke, is it really that bad there? :ohdear: I've skimmed through its page on city-data.com and it seems like the city at least isn't a total trainwreck. Virginia Tech looks like it's about an hour away in Blacksburg.

But I'm definitely going in with my eyes open and will make sure I explore and talk to the nurses on the unit. It's definitely crossed my mind that this could be a too-good-to-be-true deal (the flying out still seems like a total wtf to me) but the system is Carilion Clinic and it looks like they're the big name in the area. I've dug around and haven't uncovered chatter about problems, and even the terrible folks at Allnurses don't have much to say about the area. Questions I plan on asking the nurses include turnover, staffing levels, mandatory overtime, and general satisfaction. I don't plan on signing anything while I'm there and if things don't feel right, well, at least I'm getting a visit to the east coast out of it. :v:

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Hellacopter posted:

I'm headed to Roanoke, is it really that bad there? :ohdear: I've skimmed through its page on city-data.com and it seems like the city at least isn't a total trainwreck. Virginia Tech looks like it's about an hour away in Blacksburg.

Roanoke is not a bad as where I am from. I am from the severe western part of the state. I think that you should be ok. Hosnestly I never ventured that far east

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Hmm Roanoke is okay. It has some sketchy areas, but it's really one of the larger cities in the area. I lived in Blacksburg, VA and now live in Radford, VA (~30 mins from Blacksburg). The general area (The New River Valley) is really gorgeous, and if you're an outdoorsy type you'll like it really well.

The only thing I've heard about Carilion (which is the dominating medical corporation) is that they're just very business minded. That came from a medical student, so who knows. Other people say they pay well and the benefits are good. Let me know how you like it! I'm a pre-nursing student.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Lava Lamp posted:

. Let me know how you like it!

Let me know as well what your opinions are. I am considering moving east after graduation

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I'll definitely keep you all updated! All your feedback has been really appreciated. I just talked to the HR rep again today to set my interview time and got the final arrangements from the travel dept, so all I need to do is bring myself and keep my eyes open.

For folks who are looking into relocating, I've gotten calls about interviewing at 3 hospitals in Texas in as many weeks. They're not in a residency or new grad program (just RN I/experience preferred) positions but the doors aren't all shut there. University Medical Center of El Paso, Covenant Health in Lubbock, and Scott & White in Temple. S&W has a new grad program I think, but separate RN I positions do pop up.

EDIT: I am good writer. :downs:

Hellacopter fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 2, 2012

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

For folks who are looking into relocate, I've gotten calls about interviewing at 3 hospitals in Texas in as many weeks. They're not in a residency or new grad program (just RN I/experience preferred) positions but the doors aren't all shut there. University Medical Center of El Paso, Covenant Health in Lubbock, and Scott & White in Temple. S&W has a new grad program I think, but separate RN I positions do pop up.

Aw, I've applied to UMC in El Paso and haven't heard anything. :ohdear: Do you have a license in one of the compact states already?

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Nope, I just have my CA license. I suspect that my resume and cover letter have a lot of keywords that HR is looking for, because because the amount of activity I've gotten off them the past few weeks is really unexpected -- I have no patient care experience, little volunteering, almost no leadership, an out of state license, and the same education as everybody else. I'm not really interested in the job but I can't afford to reject any opportunities to interview, do you want the name and phone number of the HR person that called me? She's calling for surgical unit interviews right now and maybe you can get through to her.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hellacopter posted:

Nope, I just have my CA license. I suspect that my resume and cover letter have a lot of keywords that HR is looking for, because because the amount of activity I've gotten off them the past few weeks is really unexpected -- I have no patient care experience, little volunteering, almost no leadership, an out of state license, and the same education as everybody else. I'm not really interested in the job but I can't afford to reject any opportunities to interview, do you want the name and phone number of the HR person that called me? She's calling for surgical unit interviews right now and maybe you can get through to her.

Whats the unit you'll go into?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

I would appreciate that! Would you mind giving me some tips on buzzwords for cover letter, etc? I'm sick of California and don't want to risk getting panned out of state. Ugh.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Roki B posted:

Whats the unit you'll go into?
I really like the OR and ICU but for different reasons. The OR is super technical with lots of fun machines and tech, and you have a whole multidisciplinary team within arms reach around the table. Downside include surgeons, standing, and that circulating can get boring. ICU also has fun machines and tech, but you spend a lot more time with your patients and if they start to head downhill there's no transferring to a higher level of care. It's a challenging environment, but it's one where I'd be pushed to learn new things all the time. It'd also open up a lot of doors because I'd like to get into the cath lab eventually and ICU experience seems to be preferred.

Baby_Hippo posted:

I would appreciate that! Would you mind giving me some tips on buzzwords for cover letter, etc? I'm sick of California and don't want to risk getting panned out of state. Ugh.

Okay, here's the rundown of how I do things. No idea if it'll actually be of any help but v:shobon:v

I've spent a long time lurking the resume/CV thread here and the big thing they talk about is how to use words from the job posting in my summary statement at the top of the resume, so that somebody who looks at my application/resume can immediately see how I'm qualified for the job.

For example, this posting

quote:

The Department of Nursing at Avera McKennan requires all nurses to practice at a The Department of Nursing at Avera McKennan requires all nurses to practice at a competent level of nursing care and demonstrate a competent and professional level of behavior in his/her role as a RN. The American Nurses Assocations (ANA) scope and standards of practice are exemplified within the position description. The Registered Nurse is responsible for utilizing the nursing process to provide nursing care for the patient. He/she assumes responsibility and accountability for his/her individual actions and outcomes of patient care delivered on his/her shift.  Graduate from a CCNE or NLN accredited nursing program is strongly preferred. Graduate from an approved nursing program is acceptable.  Bachelor's degree in nursing preferred.  Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of South Dakota and/or meeting the requirements of multi-state licensure required. (This may be a dealbreaker but I always apply with my out-of-state license anyway, endorsing isn't too hard if it's needed)  Strongly encouraged to complete life-saving education specific to specialty area.  Certification in specialty encouraged.  Membership in a professional organization encouraged.
I pick phrases and words that seem applicable and work them into my summary statement. So something like "A professional registered nurse that utilizes the nursing process to provide competent patient care and promote optimal patient outcomes that is seeking a New Grad RN position with Avara Health."

Some job postings have long lists of the skills required, like this one, so then I have a special "selected skills" section in my resume where I can put them. Most HR depts. use programs to organize and review job applications (Taleo :argh: ) and I *think* that the programs use keywords to match for relevancy.

Here's the outline of what I have on mine. I feel like there's a lot of fluff but I really don't have anything that makes me stand out from other applicants so I try to sound as professional (but not buzzwordy) as possible.

quote:

Hellacopter, BSN, RN
Address • fake@email.com • 800-555-1212 • CA LIC #666666

SUMMARY
An RN that utilizes the nursing process by <words from the job posting>
that is seeking a <exact job title> position with <specific organization>.

EDUCATION
<BSN, School, City, Graduation date, GPA if >3.0, honors>
California RN License #666666, exp. 06/06/66
(I put it on because CA licenses aren't really a secret and can just be looked up by name but YMMV)
<industry certifications like BLS, ACLS>

SELECTED SKILLS
- Patient & family education
- Pre- & postoperative care
- Physical assessment
- Electronic medical records (ECHO, Meditech)
- Pain management (medications, epidural, & PCA)
- Evidence-based practice
- Interdisciplinary collaboration
- <anything specific mentioned in the job posting, I have mine in two columns so it doesn't take up a lot of space>

CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
Senior Capstone – <hours and dates>
<hospital, unit, city, state>
- Assessment: Assessed and provided preop-, postop-, and continuing care for <patients and common conditions I cared for>
- Planning: Empowered patients and their families by providing education regarding their <what I taught about>
- Implementation: <how I carried out my plan, special monitoring>
- Evaluation: Worked effectively within a multidisciplinary team to provide safe, competent, and patient centered
care. <an outcome too I suppose>

<all other clinical rotations but with no description, just hospitals, dates, and what unit I was on>

ASSOCIATIONS
<clubs/professional organizations if you're into that sort of thing>

VOLUNTEERISM
<places where I did extended volunteer work, position, with number of hours worked and dates>

WORK EXPERIENCE
<non-clinical office job>
<I don't waste space by describing my job on my resume since I feel it isn't related, but I describe it in the online applications>

I always attach a cover letter and personalize it to the exact position at the organization I'm applying to, and make sure that it's always addressed to a real person like a nurse recruiter or the unit manager. Managers and recruiters can sometimes be found by internet detectiving them on LinkedIn. Then I talk about why I'm interested in the speciality the position is in (in my case, ICU or OR), bring up something that I learned from both my capstone and from my school, and a major project that I accomplished and the skills that it required. Then I wrap up by saying I'm available to relocate and provide my contact info.

Even though I've just written a whole wall of :downswords:, this is really just my personal approach and what I've come up with through a lot of reading and tweaking. I also decided to only apply for positions that I'm genuinely interested in instead of having to fake "Experience isn't required? Oh yes I'm very interested in the family clinic. :geno:" and for whatever reason, this latest revision of my resume and CL is getting HR to call me. Maybe it's all just timing too.

EDIT: send me an email at spambotkiller1@gmail.com and I'll pass the UMC El Paso's person contact info on.

Hellacopter fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 3, 2012

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
So I was looking into nursing as a career change out of IT, my GPA from college is pretty mediocre, in the 2.7-2.8 range. I do have all of the nursing pre-req courses with a 3.4ish GPA so I'd pretty much just need to take the core nursing classes at this point. Is it worth it to go to a regionally accredited school or do I pretty much want to just stick with ones that are NLNAC accredited?

My local community colleges seem to be pretty competitive so I'm going to try applying but I really don't hold much hope. It seems like my only option may be to go to a for-profit private school to pick up an ASN or maybe try to apply for some BSN programs but the tuition rates I'm looking at are pretty insane for just an associates. Do you guys have any advice for me?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Wow, thanks! You have your resume set up completely different from mine - I have a long employment history with manager experience so I have what would be considered a standard resume and include a lot of my nursing school experience in my cover letter. I'm gonna go through and revise both today and I'm going to email you now. Thanks again!

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009
I was offered a seat for the BN program at my local college!

Filling out my forms now. I start classes August 26th 2013.

Weeeo

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Hellacopter posted:

I really like the OR and ICU but for different reasons. The OR is super technical with lots of fun machines and tech, and you have a whole multidisciplinary team within arms reach around the table. Downside include surgeons, standing, and that circulating can get boring. ICU also has fun machines and tech, but you spend a lot more time with your patients and if they start to head downhill there's no transferring to a higher level of care. It's a challenging environment, but it's one where I'd be pushed to learn new things all the time. It'd also open up a lot of doors because I'd like to get into the cath lab eventually and ICU experience seems to be preferred.

Okay, here's the rundown of how I do things. No idea if it'll actually be of any help but v:shobon:v

I've spent a long time lurking the resume/CV thread here and the big thing they talk about is how to use words from the job posting in my summary statement at the top of the resume, so that somebody who looks at my application/resume can immediately see how I'm qualified for the job.

For example, this posting

I pick phrases and words that seem applicable and work them into my summary statement. So something like "A professional registered nurse that utilizes the nursing process to provide competent patient care and promote optimal patient outcomes that is seeking a New Grad RN position with Avara Health."

Some job postings have long lists of the skills required, like this one, so then I have a special "selected skills" section in my resume where I can put them. Most HR depts. use programs to organize and review job applications (Taleo :argh: ) and I *think* that the programs use keywords to match for relevancy.

Here's the outline of what I have on mine. I feel like there's a lot of fluff but I really don't have anything that makes me stand out from other applicants so I try to sound as professional (but not buzzwordy) as possible.

I always attach a cover letter and personalize it to the exact position at the organization I'm applying to, and make sure that it's always addressed to a real person like a nurse recruiter or the unit manager. Managers and recruiters can sometimes be found by internet detectiving them on LinkedIn. Then I talk about why I'm interested in the speciality the position is in (in my case, ICU or OR), bring up something that I learned from both my capstone and from my school, and a major project that I accomplished and the skills that it required. Then I wrap up by saying I'm available to relocate and provide my contact info.

Even though I've just written a whole wall of :downswords:, this is really just my personal approach and what I've come up with through a lot of reading and tweaking. I also decided to only apply for positions that I'm genuinely interested in instead of having to fake "Experience isn't required? Oh yes I'm very interested in the family clinic. :geno:" and for whatever reason, this latest revision of my resume and CL is getting HR to call me. Maybe it's all just timing too.

EDIT: send me an email at spambotkiller1@gmail.com and I'll pass the UMC El Paso's person contact info on.

This is amazing, THANK YOU. I never considered using ADPIE as a resume tool.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Atma McCuddles posted:

This is amazing, THANK YOU. I never considered using ADPIE as a resume tool.

Turns out thats all ADPIE is actually used for!

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Roki B posted:

Turns out thats all ADPIE is actually used for!

Stuff like this makes me wonder how different the floor will be from the classroom. I'm paying attention and taking it all in and all that, but how much of this stuff I learn will just be classroom BS that'll never come up in real life?

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Had a class today where we talked about chi, energy healing, and how we should keep an open mind to alternative medicines even if there isn't an scientific evidence to support them. Her evidence for chi was that when two people rub their hands together, then place their hands close to each other without touching, it feels warm.

What is this poo poo doing in my nursing school?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

dissin department posted:

Stuff like this makes me wonder how different the floor will be from the classroom. I'm paying attention and taking it all in and all that, but how much of this stuff I learn will just be classroom BS that'll never come up in real life?

I should correct myself. ADPIE is used but if you have to think though each letter to remember what you're supposed to be doing you might not have absorbed the profession well. Care plans are hit or miss depending on the hospital; ours are just click 'yes or no' for a bunch of goals that are decided for you via protocol. Nursing diagnoses are cumbersome and awkward but can be useful for compartmentalizing what's wrong with someone and coming up with ways to fix it, but always focus more on your pathophys, biology, anatomy, and ABCs that underlie most of the nursing diagnoses. Please ignore all the woo and pseudoscience that you will likely have thrown at you though the course of school.

Also scooping the needle to re-cap it literally never happens.

Dirp posted:

Had a class today where we talked about chi, energy healing, and how we should keep an open mind to alternative medicines even if there isn't an scientific evidence to support them. Her evidence for chi was that when two people rub their hands together, then place their hands close to each other without touching, it feels warm.

Yep! Welcome to the wild world of nursing where half of even your instructors don't understand basic electromagnetic radiation!

For a lot of them, the science is just too hard and so they love talking about feeeeeelllliiiinngggssss. And if that's not your deal, go find the old icu pathophys or medsurg professor and excel where it matters.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 5, 2012

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

Dirp posted:

I find this hilarious because the only thing close to "woo" I got at my school was a guest lecture by a doula.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Doulas are pretty cool. In my class the instructor hooked herself up to this while the "practitioner" gave a whole lecture on healing frequencies and rife machines.

Evidence based practice!

Roki B posted:

Also scooping the needle to re-cap it literally never happens.
It got pounded into our heads "NEVER EVER EVER RECAP NEEDLES EVER but if you do don't do it two handed." For the 200 doses of flu vaccine I had to draw up yesterday you'd better believe I didn't scoop caps. Suck it school. :colbert:

Hellacopter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 5, 2012

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Dirp posted:

Infomatics this week explained what a chart is, what communication is, what a nurse does, and then buried us under several pages of useless clinical information system acronyms that we will never use again. Completely vapid content that escapes your mind while you are staring at it. But to answer your question, I believe that it is not specifically a part of your nursing school, but rather a part of a larger business model of education designed to make you pay for more credits. Easily half the credits in my program are total BS. Community, Infomatics, and EBP should be morning lectures instead of a semester long class. Insulting and an embarrassment to nursing.

Welcome to your "profession"!

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

all of this talk of resumes has made me reconsider mine. I would like some feed back from those in the know

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wfitRieuKv9p8u3vcEmcvsqY8J3WphPZsCD7i5Odde4/edit

all personal information has been omitted as well as locations of employment ect

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Is it an American thing to not include referees or is that just a privacy, shared on the internet thing? Looks good otherwise.

Anyone here have any PICU experience?
I'm working in adult ICU and emergency but I'd like to get more pediatric experience.
Other then the more stressful family situations, med calcs and, easier pressure area care is it hugely different?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

sewersider posted:

Is it an American thing to not include referees or is that just a privacy, shared on the internet thing? Looks good otherwise.

there should be a footer at the bottom of the page saying references upon request. when I uploaded to google docs it deleted it. But there are usually a spot for references in the actual application and from what I have always been taught, you do not give resume references unless they are asked for.

Anyone that knows more than me please chime in and correct me if nessasary

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
Never put "references upon request" on a resume. Employers know they can ask to get them; you're just stating the obvious.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Assuming that you're looking for PSW/PCA/UCP/NA work as a resume builder here.

Make sure you emphasize actual PSW-related tasks: lifting/transfers, communication and reporting, giving showers/pericare/oral care/catheter care, feeding (and be specific if you've done NG feeding tubes), using empathetic communication with cognitively impaired individuals, assessments, etc. I leave a LOT of my work experience off my healthcare resume because the fact that I did dishes or handled cold hard :10bux: is actually I do dishes at my current job but just when we're bored and then we complain about it not what people hire nursing aides to do. It's fine to use work experiences that show accountability and that you know how to report to people with higher authority as any actual incidents will go straight to the nurse, not to you.

Your description of your clinical experience sounds like you were locked in the staff room doing flowsheets your whole time. PSWing is totally practical, make sure you mention the actual physical nursing stuff you did like make beds or take blood glucose or whatever.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

I am looking for something as a tech now. I still have 7 months until I graduate the RN program and I am in desperate need of :10bux: so... but the down fall is I am not certified as a tech and all of the long term care facilities and hospitals require that you are. I am going to call Monday and see if there is any way that I can challenge the certification test since I am almost an RN.

desperate times call for desperate measures. I even applied at a grocery store today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Go for retirement homes with ALC floors (that's a lot of them by the way) and home care agencies. Of my classmates who work as PSWs, I'd guesstimate that 70% worked home care. They are always desperate for grunts, the only downside is that you must have transportation. The ones that did get hospital positions got them in really, really small towns where the applicant pool just wasn't big enough to disqualify them OR had experience from a prior degree e.g. vet tech or research positions.

Or you could just apply to the hospitals anyway! :)