Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yesterday I was leaving work to grab some lunch. I was coming around a bend and saw a guy come to a slow stop at a stop sign to a parking lot adjacent to the road I was on ahead of me. Rather than completely stopping, he pulls out directly in front of me with about a car length between us. I tried to stop but was going about ~45mph. Bike started to skid, and it was either plow into the back of the SUV or lay the bike down (it was a road with concrete medians on both sides so no real option to dodge). I skid about 20 feet, but to the guy in the SUV's credit he did stop and get out immediately and waited for the ambulance/cops when he could have just taken off. I was wearing my helmet and jacket, though, so only damage to me was some light road rash on my wrist and right shin. The bike however...

Scraped fork cover, damaged turn signal, scraped head lamp, bent handlebar, scraped brake cabling, bent/scraped brake lever, bent mirror, beat up tank, beat up air cleaner cover (it's a faux carburetor), bent foot pedal and foot brake lever, damaged seat, bent passenger footpeg, scraped up shocks, bent rear signal and the icing on the cake is scraped up pipes that I just installed last weekend. Hooray.

Lame, but I was able to walk away intact, so here's to silver linings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Glad to hear you're okay. Get some Rustoleum on the scraped metal parts sooner rather than later to prevent rusting. It can always be sanded off if/when you go to repaint.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Wait, so did you Layer Dan before you hit him? How did laying it down prevent you from hitting the SUV in a way that staying on and regaining control wouldn't have?

Glad you are ok!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear you're ok. Shame about the bike, but looks pretty fixable. Did you get the guy's insurance information and is he going to pay for the repairs?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I honestly don't understand how hopping off a bike would make it stop after faster than using the good ole brakes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

n8r posted:

I honestly don't understand how hopping off a bike would make it stop after faster than using the good ole brakes.

I think he said he was already sliding and had lost it. So it was either follow the bike into the suv or bail. Either way it seems like a good reason to practice emergency braking in a parking lot. I know I need more practice at it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Actually, if he was coming around a bend, maybe he didn't have space to straighten up and do a full stop, so he had to skid out while in the lean instead. So I don't think he chose "layer dan" over "stay on bike." More like "straighten up for a better stop aimed at the new SUV" or "try to stay leaned to skid for 20 feet, but end up low-siding"

Glad you're OK though.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Rear brake is more trouble than it's worth.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

And.

Here.

We.

Go.

:munch:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

n8r posted:

WHAT YOU ALWAYS USE YOUR REAR BRAKE IF YOU USE THE FRONT ONE YOU'LL FLIP OVER THE BARS FORSURE I KNEW A GUY THAT DID THAT ONCE HE HAD TO USE HIS FRONT BRAKE BECAUSE HE DIDNT WANT TO LAY IT DOWN AND HOLYFUCKBOOOMMMMMMMM RIGHT INTO THE WINDSHIELD ALL BECAUSE OF THAT drat FRONT BRAKE DONT EVER USE IT ITS A DEATH SENTENCE I KNOW BECAUSE MY DAD RIDES HARLEYS AND HE HAD A SPRINGER FRONT WITH NO BRAKE AND ONLY USED HIS REAR AND HE NEVER CRASHED EVER AND THATS WHY YOU DONT NEED A FRONT BRAKE ONLY REAR

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

SaNChEzZ posted:

WHAT YOU ALWAYS USE YOUR REAR BRAKE IF YOU USE THE FRONT ONE YOU'LL FLIP OVER THE BARS FORSURE I KNEW A GUY THAT DID THAT ONCE HE HAD TO USE HIS FRONT BRAKE BECAUSE HE DIDNT WANT TO LAY IT DOWN AND HOLYFUCKBOOOMMMMMMMM RIGHT INTO THE WINDSHIELD ALL BECAUSE OF THAT drat FRONT BRAKE DONT EVER USE IT ITS A DEATH SENTENCE I KNOW BECAUSE MY DAD RIDES HARLEYS AND HE HAD A SPRINGER FRONT WITH NO BRAKE AND ONLY USED HIS REAR AND HE NEVER CRASHED EVER AND THATS WHY YOU DONT NEED A FRONT BRAKE ONLY REAR

I once used my front brake, now im dead.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I once used my front brake, now im dead.

Thank God I disconnected that treacherous front brake. Does anyone have a walkthrough for rerouting the front brake to the rear for extra safety?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm going to get some sweet-rear end billet maltese crosses machined up to replace your front caliper with, if anyones interested in a group buy. Safety in style!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Tamir Lenk posted:

Thank God I disconnected that treacherous front brake. Does anyone have a walkthrough for rerouting the front brake to the rear for extra safety?
Counterpoint:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint:

that thing can stop on a dime (and launch you 52 feet)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aprilias come with the special feature of non functioning rear brakes due to poor design. Thanks for looking out for me Italy!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint:

Errant Gin Monks' Front Brake spotted.

I was tempted to include this, but gently caress DEER.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint:

The most expensive disc lock.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I like how they're just zip-tied to the rotor. Somehow, that makes it more special to me.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Tamir Lenk posted:

Actually, if he was coming around a bend, maybe he didn't have space to straighten up and do a full stop, so he had to skid out while in the lean instead. So I don't think he chose "layer dan" over "stay on bike." More like "straighten up for a better stop aimed at the new SUV" or "try to stay leaned to skid for 20 feet, but end up low-siding"

Glad you're OK though.

This and this. Basically the bike was already sliding some and in the distance to the car I decided to lay it down and enjoy the ride rather than try and quick stop into the back of the vehicle.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

Aprilias come with the special feature of non functioning rear brakes due to poor design. Thanks for looking out for me Italy!

I find it does actually work, it just feels like it doesn't. When I picked up my tuono I complained about it and they actually put it on the MOT brake roller thingy to prove it. Mine still works even though I haven't bled it ever or hung an old brake disc off the lever for months. Wonder if it's the choice of caliper and/or leverage ratios?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The rear brake on the Uly felt like it didn't work when I got the bike, but after some abuse it's improved its bite. Still won't actually stop the bike, but it's handy for controlling a descent on gravel or dragging around parking lots.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Saga posted:

I find it does actually work, it just feels like it doesn't. When I picked up my tuono I complained about it and they actually put it on the MOT brake roller thingy to prove it. Mine still works even though I haven't bled it ever or hung an old brake disc off the lever for months. Wonder if it's the choice of caliper and/or leverage ratios?

The MC gets cooked by the exhaust and it's horizontal orientation allows air that sneaks in to cause problems faster. Mine does something if I stomp on it, but it's not very much.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Jesus loving Christ today has sucked so bad. I almost got nuked by an SUV this morning and I worked a double today. After I finally got off work I decided to take a nice twisty road and scrub in my new rear tire. I wrecked the R1 with a brand new tire so I decided to take it easy. I was only doing an indicated 27 mph and was just enjoying the night air and the road. I came up a long hill to a switchback and there was a woman in all black walking along a switchback talking on her cellphone. I slowed down as soon as I saw her but as I got closer I saw her 2 dogs off leash both running towards me. I slowed down, but one of them got to me before I was able to stop. I let the brake go and rolled slightly off the road so I didn't hit the dog. I got to a complete stop but I was leaning downhill and pretty much just dropped the bike. I rode it down and set it down as gently as possible before just rolling off.

Seeing this, the chick walking her dogs on a switchback off leash in the dark Calls me an rear end in a top hat and walks off. Never taking the cell off her ear and not leashing her dogs. I picked my bike up and checked it out, it was flooded so I turned it around on the hill and popped the clutch to get the bike started. I turned around at the bottom and as I started back up I heard tires screeching up ahead. I was crawling at around 14 mph because I knew she was up ahead. maybe 1/4 mile up the road an SUZ had run both her dogs over and she was freaking out on the driver.

I hopped off the bike and called the cops at this point. The guy got loud and the chick just sat down and cried pretty quickly. I told the guy what happened to me and he was really upset that she would be so careless. The cops showed up about 45 minutes after I called them and ended up citing her for walking the dogs off leash and me for having a busted tail light.

I'm so pissed and upset, my faith in humanity is so low right now. Those dogs deserved better than that.

This road is a 1 lane road with some of the tightest switchbacks and curves I have ever ridden. People die there all the time and it's just not anywhere someone should ever be walking, much less with dogs off a leash.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

God I love people. Sorry that happened to you.

Cops are awesome too. Chick just got her dogs run over? Better fine her! Guy called us so a bad incident doesn't get worse? Better fine him!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Your citation is completely bogus. Please take it to court if you can.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

Your citation is completely bogus. Please take it to court if you can.

I work at the court and to do that they have to call in a visiting judge and it's a really big hassle. It's a fixable ticket and I've already got a new tail-light ordered, I'll probably just pay the $25.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What the hell did she think would happen?!

Edit: "think" is probably too strong a word.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I work at the court and to do that they have to call in a visiting judge and it's a really big hassle. It's a fixable ticket and I've already got a new tail-light ordered, I'll probably just pay the $25.

Why didn't you just tell the cop the tail light broke when you went off the road to avoid the dogs that were off leash in the middle of the road?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

schreibs posted:

Why didn't you just tell the cop the tail light broke when you went off the road to avoid the dogs that were off leash in the middle of the road?

I was upset and I'm an honest guy, even with the receipt for the new tail light on my phone he didn't care. My tail light lights up, it just doesn't light up when I hit the brake.

@ Bondematt: I honestly don't know. I was pissed after I dropped the DRZ and she saw nothing wrong with what she had done and called me an rear end in a top hat. There was no "Are you ok?" or anything. It seemed like she thought she had the right of way, which she didn't.

I took one of my wifes lorazepam's, I'm going to try and catch some sleep and hope I don't have nightmares. Work starts again in less than 8 hours and it's going to be another really long day I think. I'm still shaking, I love dogs and would have endo'd or wrecked to save them. She didn't care enough to even leash them.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
poo poo that's a depressing thing to read first thing in the morning. As a remedy;

Last year I nearly wrecked because of some :3: baby ducks in the road. There was no pavement(sidewalk) on my side of the road, so I pulled across the solid center line, dumped the bike in a driveway and started to herd the ducklings along the road ATGATT style.

Then some prick comes round the corner and is beeping at me and giving me the stink eye because I'm blocking the road. I give him the universal sign language for "Come on man, baby ducks!". I mean, who could put those little guys ahead of getting to work a couple of minutes early. poo poo dude, hop out and help, the girls at the office will be swooning all over you when they find out why you're late. "He's so sensitive" they'll say, "I'm broody and unfulfilled, I wonder if he'll impregnate me so I won't have to get 14 cats as a surrogate children" they'll wonder.

Well, he managed to pass and the next guy slowed down and, clearly embarrassed by his fellow motorist and failure of a man shouted "Good job mate!". Everyone after that was giving me thumbs up and smiles, including some pretty ladies, and they decided to stop and give me a victory blowjob, and also a medal.

Ok, maybe the last two things I just dreamt but the rest is true and in five minutes I had them all herded to the garden for a (I assume) tearful reunion (can ducks cry? I didn't, cause I'm a manly beardy man and anyway I had my helmet on so you can't prove poo poo) with their mother.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 5, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Every time I have a close call with a pedestrian wearing all black after dusk in non-lighted areas I realize I have no remorse for doing so. Am I a bad person for thinking people should have more sense than that?

Also baby ducks. :3:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If doves can cry I'm sure ducks can

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Jesus loving Christ today has sucked so bad. I almost got nuked by an SUV this morning and I worked a double today. After I finally got off work I decided to take a nice twisty road and scrub in my new rear tire. I wrecked the R1 with a brand new tire so I decided to take it easy. I was only doing an indicated 27 mph and was just enjoying the night air and the road. I came up a long hill to a switchback and there was a woman in all black walking along a switchback talking on her cellphone. I slowed down as soon as I saw her but as I got closer I saw her 2 dogs off leash both running towards me. I slowed down, but one of them got to me before I was able to stop. I let the brake go and rolled slightly off the road so I didn't hit the dog. I got to a complete stop but I was leaning downhill and pretty much just dropped the bike. I rode it down and set it down as gently as possible before just rolling off.

Seeing this, the chick walking her dogs on a switchback off leash in the dark Calls me an rear end in a top hat and walks off. Never taking the cell off her ear and not leashing her dogs. I picked my bike up and checked it out, it was flooded so I turned it around on the hill and popped the clutch to get the bike started. I turned around at the bottom and as I started back up I heard tires screeching up ahead. I was crawling at around 14 mph because I knew she was up ahead. maybe 1/4 mile up the road an SUZ had run both her dogs over and she was freaking out on the driver.

I hopped off the bike and called the cops at this point. The guy got loud and the chick just sat down and cried pretty quickly. I told the guy what happened to me and he was really upset that she would be so careless. The cops showed up about 45 minutes after I called them and ended up citing her for walking the dogs off leash and me for having a busted tail light.

I'm so pissed and upset, my faith in humanity is so low right now. Those dogs deserved better than that.

This road is a 1 lane road with some of the tightest switchbacks and curves I have ever ridden. People die there all the time and it's just not anywhere someone should ever be walking, much less with dogs off a leash.

This is so lovely I can barely comprehend. Hopefully your next workday goes by quickly mate.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Crashed at Texas World Speedway (Turn 10). Lowsided, slid 50+ feet accross the track into the grass/dirt.

Please ignore my rather crappy taping up of the lights, I didn't have much time to prepare.

Basically I leaned the bike over too much (possibly I should have hung off more), my footpeg started dragging hard and then something solid caught and the bike just went out from under me. I did have the split second of realisation of what was happening, then I did the whole 'try to get up while still sliding' thing. Followed by hitting the dirt, becoming unstuck from the bike and rolling a few times.

My foot was stuck under the bike while sliding across the pavement which wore a hole I can put a finger through on my right SMX plus boot. A few feet more and my skin would have been contacting the track.

All the gear did a pretty good job. My knox handroids are a bit scuffed, but all the sliders in the palms and the wrists really worked which was cool to see. The boots I'll put a thick leather patch on and call it a day, my suit needs some patching on the stretch panel by the shoulder, but otherwise everything is fine and reusable. Helmet somehow never touched the ground except for a light scratch on the visor.

Bike just needs new tail plastic, handlebar and possibly the front brake lever, right footpeg and bracket assembly, frame slider and brake lever and a couple minor things. Then there is cosmetic stuff like the underbelly plastics etc.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 7, 2012

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

GanjamonII posted:

Crashed at Texas World Speedway (Turn 10). Lowsided, slid 50+ feet accross the track into the grass/dirt.

Please ignore my rather crappy taping up of the lights, I didn't have much time to prepare.

Basically I leaned the bike over too much (possibly I should have hung off more), my footpeg started dragging hard and then something solid caught and the bike just went out from under me. I did have the split second of realisation of what was happening, then I did the whole 'try to get up while still sliding' thing. Followed by hitting the dirt, becoming unstuck from the bike and rolling a few times.

My foot was stuck under the bike while sliding across the pavement which wore a hole I can put a finger through on my right SMX plus boot. A few feet more and my skin would have been contacting the track.

All the gear did a pretty good job. My knox handroids are a bit scuffed, but all the sliders in the palms and the wrists really worked which was cool to see. The boots I'll put a thick leather patch on and call it a day, my suit needs some patching on the stretch panel by the shoulder, but otherwise everything is fine and reusable. Helmet somehow never touched the ground except for a light scratch on the visor.

Bike just needs new tail plastic, handlebar and possibly the front brake lever, right footpeg and bracket assembly, frame slider and brake lever and a couple minor things. Then there is cosmetic stuff like the underbelly plastics etc.

Glad to hear you are ok, all things considered. Any chance you can post pictures of some of your gear?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 7, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Shows commitment! :black101:

Bet that foot is sore tomorrow - I did the exact same thing with my old GSX-R and hobbled for about a week. Boot wore through the armour as far as the fabric liner and gave me a heat blister to boot (no pun intended).

This is a great opportunity to hunt down a Factory carbon tail unit and maybe some black Renthals(?).

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

Shows commitment! :black101:

Bet that foot is sore tomorrow - I did the exact same thing with my old GSX-R and hobbled for about a week. Boot wore through the armour as far as the fabric liner and gave me a heat blister to boot (no pun intended).

This is a great opportunity to hunt down a Factory carbon tail unit and maybe some black Renthals(?).

Actually my foot is fine. The sole on the SMX Pluses does a really good job of resisting squashing I guess. All I had was a spot of dirt on my sock where the shoe wore through. It went through the inner bootie too, I can stick my little finger through the hole there. I'm really surprised at the lack of damage to the rest of the boot - I would have expected it to be scuffed up all over.

The pics of my gear are here: http://imgur.com/a/1YpmE

Just uploading these it made me kind of amazed just how little damage there is to the gear (admittedly I missed the worst of the gloves pic, but even then its just a little more severe than that). And then it also made me question whether I actually did roll in the dirt because the suit is so clean on the chest area. I swear I remember rolling.. but the evidence is missing!

Carbon tail - I don't know.. seems like another thing to bust up next time :).

Actually I have insurance on this bike that specifically covered closed course use (education, not racing) so I am trying to reach my agent this morning to figure out whether this is worth claiming. If I go insurance route I'll get everything replaced new (I assume anyway).
If my rates are going to skyrocket for claiming it I'll probably see if I can replace everything myself on the cheap. Pretty often there is someone breaking RSVs or Tuonos on apriliaforums.com so hopefully I can get everything lightly used.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Hey all. I had a pretty bad accident back in January and now that my legal case is settled and over with, I can finally talk about it. I wrote a pretty detailed blog post HERE and I'm going to have some more coming up with advice on insurance, lawyers, doctors and stuff. I'm really thankful that everything ended up okay for me, because if anything I learned that had the scenario gone down just a tiny bit differently, I would have been really screwed over.

One tidbit for now: Make sure you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and check your policy and if you don't have it, call and add it RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Because the last thing anyone needs is a busted up body, a totalled bike and crushing medical debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Holy moly. That's one hell of an experience. I'm really glad you made it out ok. Can you explain a bit about insurance? I don't have a bike yet, or even a car, so the only insurance I've got is health. Not too savvy in all this bureaucratic bullshit.

• Locked thread