Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This new loving Converge CD.

I've always felt like a dick for not being able to get into Converge, but this CD is going to change everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Converge :stare:

Cannot loving wait for that thing to get here.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I've never disliked a Converge album. At this point I doubt I ever will.

I almost never listen to anything off of Axe to Fall, but I still really liked it. Not sure where the new one is going to stand as far as replaying it goes, but for now I'm in love with it. The title track is definitely going on any Converge related playlists I make in the future though, holy poo poo.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This album is gonna be the one that kills my car's poor speakers :negative:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I've listened to it a few times now and the only thing that kinda bugs me is that they put Predatory Glow at the end instead of ending with the title track.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah, the hype is completely deserved. This album feels super aggressive and frantic as hell, and I can't wait to see them with Torche next month.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've just got hold of a copy, I've seen converge a few times but never really got into them the new guitar player for a band I'm getting together is really into them and there playing locally in a few months sd I thought I'd give em a blast on my way to work.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

The last minute or so of A Glacial Pace is incredible. I mean, the song is great in general but I love Bannon's scream-to-yell approach on the the same line.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Deathwish <:mad:>

quote:

Thank you for Pre-ordering the new Converge album, "All We Love We Leave Behind" from Deathwish.

The Bad News: Due to a comedy of errors at one of our vinyl manufacturing facilities, this anticipated release is taking longer in manufacturing than we planned. The gears are moving though, and we will immediately begin shipping Pre-orders the day the release arrives on our loading dock.

The Good News: As a thank you to all of our vinyl Pre-order customers, we are sending you a Digital version of the full album now. The digital link will be coming from Epitaph/Kingsroad download system, keep an eye out for an email from them in your mailbox. CD Pre-orders have shipped as well.

ah well as long as the download includes the bonus tracks... :smith:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Putting out vinyl is a huge headache, mostly due to the limited number of pressing plants. I've had some preorders delayed for MONTHS because the test presses kept coming back with problems. I always give labels the benefit of the doubt. Hell, it took me so long to email Count Your Lucky Stars about my Snowing LP preorder that I immediately got a response of "Holy poo poo dude, it's been out for months! We are so sorry!" and had a package on my porch the next day.

That being said, I just got that email and came here to be sad about it :smith:

Edit: and now this article just popped up on my twitter http://propertyofzack.com/post/32887466878/poz-perspective-why-your-vinyl-is-not-at-your-doorstep

how appropriate

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Yeah, same email here. Kinda bummed because I also had five other LPs in my order :v:

Top Shelf also had the same problem with the new Prawn EP just recently, which I'm still waiting for.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah, same email here. Kinda bummed because I also had five other LPs in my order :v:

Top Shelf also had the same problem with the new Prawn EP just recently, which I'm still waiting for.

They posted a pic of the newest Prawn test press a few hours ago, so hopefully it's finally good. I think it's the 3rd or 4th try.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I've just been getting into Converge. I really like Axe to Fall but was having trouble getting through Jane Doe. This new album rules though. The title track and Aimless Arrow are probably my favorites.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Dirp posted:

I've just been getting into Converge. I really like Axe to Fall but was having trouble getting through Jane Doe. This new album rules though. The title track and Aimless Arrow are probably my favorites.

I think the biggest thing for getting into Converge if you don't already listen to metal is just getting used to Bannon's vocals. I got into them through some mainstream punk comp in high school around the time You Fail Me came out, and they had "Black Cloud" on there. I had the hardest time getting into them because the vocals were so different than most of I'd heard before. I eventually got really into them by the time No Heroes came out but I still wasn't a huge fan of Jane Doe, as combined with the vocals, the mix for Jane Doe also sounds a lot rougher. It's a really rewarding album, though.

That said, I'd still rate No Heroes/AWLWLB above it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

I think the biggest thing for getting into Converge if you don't already listen to metal is just getting used to Bannon's vocals. I got into them through some mainstream punk comp in high school around the time You Fail Me came out, and they had "Black Cloud" on there. I had the hardest time getting into them because the vocals were so different than most of I'd heard before. I eventually got really into them by the time No Heroes came out but I still wasn't a huge fan of Jane Doe, as combined with the vocals, the mix for Jane Doe also sounds a lot rougher. It's a really rewarding album, though.

That said, I'd still rate No Heroes/AWLWLB above it.

I listened to tons of metal before Converge and still had problems getting into his vocals. I still have problems on certain albums, Jane Doe being one of them. I really don't think I'll ever like that album.

This new one, however, that's a whole different ball game. Out of the loving park, guys. Sports metaphor.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

vanov posted:

I listened to tons of metal before Converge and still had problems getting into his vocals. I still have problems on certain albums, Jane Doe being one of them. I really don't think I'll ever like that album.

Yeah, I just meant you've probably been exposed to harsher vocal styles so it'd help the transition. But yeah, he sounds absolutely demented and legitimately like a torture victim at times. It's eerie.

I was reading a review earlier today and the guy was talking about how some people doubted they'd be able to one-up Axe to Fall (weird seeing as they've never put out a stinker and 3 years between is par for the course for them...). He had a great quote that can sum up the album pretty well: "Having formed once again as a violent anarchistic Voltron, Converge will lay waste to your doubts and stand upon the bones of those who vied for their throne."

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Yeah, I just meant you've probably been exposed to harsher vocal styles so it'd help the transition. But yeah, he sounds absolutely demented and legitimately like a torture victim at times. It's eerie.

I was reading a review earlier today and the guy was talking about how some people doubted they'd be able to one-up Axe to Fall (weird seeing as they've never put out a stinker and 3 years between is par for the course for them...). He had a great quote that can sum up the album pretty well: "Having formed once again as a violent anarchistic Voltron, Converge will lay waste to your doubts and stand upon the bones of those who vied for their throne."

I fully believe people only like Axe because a) it's Converge and b) it's got slick production. Beyond that it isn't very consistent or very good, even though Jacob's vocals are the best they'd ever been there. This band's always been a few-tracks-here-and-there band for me but they've turned the corner here.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
You know what, I take back what I said about Jane Doe, it's impossible to like to Dillinger Escape Plan and not like that album.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
The "Run on" screams right near the end of the song "Jane Doe" are the best thing ever. I was on a plane that hit turbulence (plane dropped significantly, if I hadn't been holding my ipod it would have hit the ceiling) RIGHT as that part kicked in on my headphones and it's still the craziest adrenaline rush I've ever had. That album is such an emotional ride and I don't think anything is ever going to top it as my "favorite album."

I've still never see them play it though, which sucks. I have seen them play The Saddest Day, so there's that.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Kevar posted:

The "Run on" screams right near the end of the song "Jane Doe" are the best thing ever. I was on a plane that hit turbulence (plane dropped significantly, if I hadn't been holding my ipod it would have hit the ceiling) RIGHT as that part kicked in on my headphones and it's still the craziest adrenaline rush I've ever had. That album is such an emotional ride and I don't think anything is ever going to top it as my "favorite album."

I've still never see them play it though, which sucks. I have seen them play The Saddest Day, so there's that.

Despite what I said it's still a pretty incredible album. The last 4 songs, Thaw excluded (Heaven in her Arms, Phoenix in Flight/Flames and Jane Doe), are some of Converge's best work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I gotta be honest that AWLWLB is the first album where I've felt like Converge was kind of coasting at times. I still really like more than half of it, and I don't know if the bonus tracks were just remixed or fully re-recorded but they sound loving great.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I gotta be honest that AWLWLB is the first album where I've felt like Converge was kind of coasting at times. I still really like more than half of it, and I don't know if the bonus tracks were just remixed or fully re-recorded but they sound loving great.

Do you mean from their original recordings? I haven't heard any of the originals or the ones with the deluxe edition so I can't compare.

edit: after listening to a supposedly high quality rip of On My Shield on youtube I'm guessing they've been remixed or re-recorded since the vocals are muddy as hell

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 5, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you mean from their original recordings? I haven't heard any of the originals or the ones with the deluxe edition so I can't compare.

edit: after listening to a supposedly high quality rip of On My Shield on youtube I'm guessing they've been remixed or re-recorded since the vocals are muddy as hell

Yeah, the three bonus ones are Runaway, On My Shield and No Light Escapes. They all sound way better than the original versions, especially On My Shield. They've definitely been at least remixed but it sounds like some of the guitar tracks might have been redone or added to as well.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Runaway is loving crazy now. The first couple seconds of it actually startled me, which isn't really an effect Converge has given me in quite some time. That song legitimately has some teeth on this record. The transition to Predatory Glow makes the album end much better, too. On the 14-track version, I thought the title track would be a much better closer, but with Runaway in front of Predatory Glow it ends satisfyingly.

I'm a die-hard Converge fan, and Axe to Fall wasn't really too impressive to me. It felt too "metal," for me, and most of the tracks I enjoyed didn't feel fleshed out enough. Effigy for example sounds like an incomplete idea. A cool idea, but it's lacking as a whole song. A lot of tracks are like this. The two closing tracks are objectively pretty good, but it's not how I like my Converge. Wretched World in particular just doesn't even feel like a Converge song, even though I do like it a lot. Axe to Fall is a good record, but probably my least favorite of Converge's modern albums.

This album is my favorite since You Fail Me. The production is great, the flow is seriously perfect in my eyes, and I don't really get a sense of wanting more from it. With the deluxe version it actually feels "complete." Whether I like it more than You Fail Me isn't something I've figured out yet, though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jarate posted:

I'm a die-hard Converge fan, and Axe to Fall wasn't really too impressive to me. It felt too "metal," for me, and most of the tracks I enjoyed didn't feel fleshed out enough. Effigy for example sounds like an incomplete idea. A cool idea, but it's lacking as a whole song. A lot of tracks are like this. The two closing tracks are objectively pretty good, but it's not how I like my Converge. Wretched World in particular just doesn't even feel like a Converge song, even though I do like it a lot. Axe to Fall is a good record, but probably my least favorite of Converge's modern albums.

Agreed on the "metal" part, but songs like "Cutter" make up for the filler, imho.

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset
It's interesting to see how varied the opinions on Converge's albums are, and which ones people like the most.

I honestly like Axe to Fall much more than No Heroes, and maybe a little bit more than You Fail Me (although maybe not, I don't know.) I'd rate it on par with Jane Doe at least. Being a little bit more of a metal fan than a hardcore/punk fan, I think I just appreciate the guitar work on Axe to Fall a bit more than the more hardcore-y albums. The riffing on Reap What You Sow, Effigy, and Dead Beat just do it for me, and I really like the slow build on Damages quite a bit.

I kinda feel like the first 6 tracks of No Heroes blend together and don't stand out, or do anything overly interesting. Not that they're bad. I usually start listening at Grim Heart/Black Rose.

I'm super psyched for the new album, and I'm glad it's getting lots of love on here. I'm trying to wait until release day to listen to it though, and it's getting harder every day.

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset
Although to be fair to No Heroes, the first "Half" of the album is only like 1/4 of the overall length, so really I like most of it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Kings Road Merch dropped a download of the Deluxe Edition in my inbox this morning and it is amazing so far. The production is insane, and the riffs are unreal. I can't wait for my CD/art book and vinyl to arrive!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The riff in "Sadness Comes Home" is so loving good.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

The riff in "Sadness Comes Home" is so loving good.

Probably my favourite individual riff on the album at the moment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Probably my favourite individual riff on the album at the moment.

Probably my favorite individual riff of the year, although there are at least a few off of "Sorry" that are up there.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The re-recorded version of On My Shield sounds sooo much better. Still wish I had gotten one of those 7" when I could, though :(

Also, echoing the love for Sadness Comes Home. It, Coral Blue and the title track are probably the real standouts for me. It's nice to hear that they've finally made Coral Blue that low-tempo song they've been looking for without sounding awkward/bringing in a guest vocalist.

This album loving rules. Can't wait for the LP to actually show up. I'm not usually too crazy with variants, but I'm dying to know what the death wish versions look like and which I ended up getting.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Vegastar posted:

The re-recorded version of On My Shield sounds sooo much better. Still wish I had gotten one of those 7" when I could, though :(

Also, echoing the love for Sadness Comes Home. It, Coral Blue and the title track are probably the real standouts for me. It's nice to hear that they've finally made Coral Blue that low-tempo song they've been looking for without sounding awkward/bringing in a guest vocalist.

This album loving rules. Can't wait for the LP to actually show up. I'm not usually too crazy with variants, but I'm dying to know what the death wish versions look like and which I ended up getting.

Yeah, I really love On My Shield, and the re-recording sounds great. I really like the fact that they've put all of those individual tracks (aside from the Wolverine Blues cover, which is amazing as well) on the album. I also like that they integrated the tracks into the album rather than dumping them all at the end. I don't really have anything negative to say about the album at the moment. Converge are still putting other hardcore bands to shame with their creativity and work ethic, and All We Love We Leave Behind continues to support the argument that they are perhaps the most important band in hardcore right now.

On a side note, does anyone know if the Kings Road Merch vinyl orders were also affected? I saw my download link, but nothing about my order being delayed...

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I get to see the mixtapes tonite at a basement show. I am beyond pumped!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Oh man, La Dispute is actually coming within a 3 hour drive of me Nov. 1! But it's a Thursday and I have an 8 AM class Friday...

Is La Dispute live as loving amazing as I imagine?

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

Quantumfate posted:

I get to see the mixtapes tonite at a basement show. I am beyond pumped!

The mixtapes or mixtapes? I'm assuming you mean mixtapes, in which case I am very jealous! I missed seeing them last night. Also because you are in Reno, which means you can get steak at midnight, of which I am also jealous.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh man, La Dispute is actually coming within a 3 hour drive of me Nov. 1! But it's a Thursday and I have an 8 AM class Friday...

Apparently yes they are. 3 hour drive might be tough though, good luck.

Has anyone seen the all in this together tour? I'm thinking of seeing it, but I'm not familiar with the bands outside their free offerings. I know it'll be cheap/free, but it's a while away--any positive experiences?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Yes they're incredible.

Also pretty much every cool person I've met this year I originally met at the last La Dispute show.

Home Blitz were fun last night. They're kinda twee-ish garage.

Against Me!'s next show is on the same night as Off! and Alabama Shakes.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

What...what is this?

I have never felt older than I did after clicking that link.

Saw The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die in a basement last Friday. They were awesome as usual, but god drat are college kids douchebags. A bunch of shirtless bros were pushpitting despite the complete lack of room. This led to anyone standing in the front getting pushed into the band and their equipment. I'm used to that type of environment, but I'm also used to crowds having at least some respect and common sense about it.

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

Kevar posted:

What...what is this?

I have never felt older than I did after clicking that link.

Yeah that's pretty much my exact fear. Not that I'm old by any stretch, but that everyone else will be young. I'm not exactly a fan of the sub-genre either, but if the acts are cool people the venue is intimate enough that it might be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

shino posted:

Has anyone seen the all in this together tour? I'm thinking of seeing it, but I'm not familiar with the bands outside their free offerings. I know it'll be cheap/free, but it's a while away--any positive experiences?

That tour isn't coming near me, but I'd totally go see it just because Latin for Truth are really, really good. Second to Last and On My Honor are solid enough bands that'd probably be fun live, even if they've got a kind of played out sound. Not familiar with anyone else on the ticket.

Checking out Above the Underground right now, they've got kind of A Loss for Words sound, they're not bad either. Audiostrobelight sound loving awful though.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 11, 2012