Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tomm posted:

I like the look of the DODOcase for my Nexus 7 so I just dropped like £30 on one. It's gonna take like a week to get here in the UK but it looks alright. I've had it since launch without a case because I just never got round to buying one.

Worried about the adhesive part of it though. When they say you wipe it clean and it becomes sticky again, how many uses do you actually get out of that? I've never heard of such witchcraft. I'd expect it to start losing its stick after like 3/4 wipes.

It's probably the same technology as the old sticky hand gumball machine toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tomm posted:

I like the look of the DODOcase for my Nexus 7 so I just dropped like £30 on one. It's gonna take like a week to get here in the UK but it looks alright. I've had it since launch without a case because I just never got round to buying one.

Worried about the adhesive part of it though. When they say you wipe it clean and it becomes sticky again, how many uses do you actually get out of that? I've never heard of such witchcraft. I'd expect it to start losing its stick after like 3/4 wipes.

You'd get a lot of more uses out of it than that, but really, the Dodocase is not for people who intend to take the Nexus 7 out of it more than 2 or 3 times in it's given lifespan.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You'd get a lot of more uses out of it than that, but really, the Dodocase is not for people who intend to take the Nexus 7 out of it more than 2 or 3 times in it's given lifespan.

Fair point.

I don't imagine I'll be taking it out of it much anyway. Thanks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Did the other person waiting on their tree gloo case ever get theirs?
I ordered mine over a month ago, no shipping notification. I emailed them about it and they said it would probably ship out next week, but that was two weeks ago.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I picked up whatever case you guys were going on about a few pages back for my nexus 7 and it came with a screen protector, is it worth putting on or is the case good enough?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Evil Vin posted:

I picked up whatever case you guys were going on about a few pages back for my nexus 7 and it came with a screen protector, is it worth putting on or is the case good enough?

I didn't use the protector from my Blu-rex case. I always close mine when I'm not using it, so I don't see much of a need for the screen protector. I haven't seen any scratches yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Evil Vin posted:

Unless you are putting your nexus 7 in your pocket, screen protectors arn't nearly as important as they are on phones. You generally do not get rubbing against the display.

revolther
May 27, 2008
My significant other's Transformer Infinity + Dock just arrived (well the dock a few days ago), I'll be sure to cynically poo poo all over any problems I encounter, and give some feedback regarding build quality issues.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Did the other person waiting on their tree gloo case ever get theirs?
I ordered mine over a month ago, no shipping notification. I emailed them about it and they said it would probably ship out next week, but that was two weeks ago.

I got a shipping notification just after my last post about it (Sept 15), but according to the tracking number it didn't ship till Sept 20, and I still haven't received it. They shipped it to an address one letter off from my actual address, to one that doesn't even exist, and now no one seems to know where it actually is. USPS claims it was handed off to Canada post already so it's not their problem anymore, and Canada post claims it never even came into customs. According to Canada post it should still end up at my local post office since the postal code is correct, and since the posted address doesn't exist they're supposed to try and find my actual address using my name and postal code. But to be honest I've pretty much given up on it at this point, things I ordered at DealExtreme at around the same time have already gotten here.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revolther posted:

My significant other's Transformer Infinity + Dock just arrived (well the dock a few days ago), I'll be sure to cynically poo poo all over any problems I encounter, and give some feedback regarding build quality issues.

Now you're getting into the spirit of the thread!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

krushgroove posted:

I was going to say the same thing, but I think someone earlier in the thread said they had a staticy (staticky?) speaker and got a replacement.

I've got a question about movies I've grabbed online - I use MXPlayer on the Nexus 7 and sometimes it won't play movies, or won't play the audio. Is there anything I can run the movies through (usually MKV, sometimes AVI) to make sure they'll play?

Any movie that has a DTS audio track won't play audio on any of the major mobile players because the company who owns that audio codec won't license it out to mobile software companies, and they were all forced to patch out DTS audio support a while back.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After doing some checking around, it seems the Nexus 7 has already had three revisions.

The first one seems to be the "C60" model. This is the one with screen lift and probably the ghosting issue. I'd say this is also the one those at Google I/O and the reviewers got.

The second is "C70". This also had some screen issues.

The final (and current one) is "C80". XDAers have torn it open and noticed that there are screws missing in each C80 device (even if you go to exchange them, there will be missing screws) but the screen isn't popping up on most C80 tablets. Apparently, ASUS' fix is removing random screws. There doesn't seem to be any other issues with this revision.

If you get a Nexus 7 at Radio Shack (some of them are carrying it but not all of them, call around), it'll be a C80.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
How can we check what version we have?

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Any movie that has a DTS audio track won't play audio on any of the major mobile players because the company who owns that audio codec won't license it out to mobile software companies, and they were all forced to patch out DTS audio support a while back.

I haven't had time to play around with the hardware/software settings yet but these aren't movies I've converted or anything. I've yet to try anything like Handbrake to convert DVDs, but will probably try soon.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
My Nexus 7 has the screenlift issue but it honestly isn't bothering me enough to get it changed/repaired/whatever. I feel like I should but I'm so lazy. Can't decide whether it is actually worth it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tomm posted:

My Nexus 7 has the screenlift issue but it honestly isn't bothering me enough to get it changed/repaired/whatever. I feel like I should but I'm so lazy. Can't decide whether it is actually worth it.

I don't get it. I'd be livid (and usually am) if I bought something and it had an issue like that.

People not using screen protectors, is there a reason for that? I use them because my fingers scratch the poo poo out of things. As it is capacitive touchscreens can be a bit flaky with my fingers at times. Assuming because the skin is so drat dry. One thing I can say is that not all screen protectors are made equal. Completely ignoring the laminated glass ones which I have zero experience with there are massive differences in hardness, friction, opacity and ability to transfer touch.
Good ones you can't even tell are there.
Bad ones... well they come in all forms. My current one on my tablet is sort of okay now it's broken in. It had this weird grippiness thing going on making dragging difficult.

I do also have a question. I know matte finish protectors exist. Are they any good? I like matte finish LCDs and was wondering if the matte screen protectors have the same effect. And whether the finish is encased in a central layer, because it'd probably be a bitch to use and maintain if it were on the surface layer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

General_Failure posted:

I don't get it. I'd be livid (and usually am) if I bought something and it had an issue like that.

People not using screen protectors, is there a reason for that? I use them because my fingers scratch the poo poo out of things. As it is capacitive touchscreens can be a bit flaky with my fingers at times. Assuming because the skin is so drat dry. One thing I can say is that not all screen protectors are made equal. Completely ignoring the laminated glass ones which I have zero experience with there are massive differences in hardness, friction, opacity and ability to transfer touch.
Bad ones... well they come in all forms. My current one on my tablet is sort of okay now it's broken in. It had this weird grippiness thing going on making dragging difficult.

I do also have a question. I know matte finish protectors exist. Are they any good? I like matte finish LCDs and was wondering if the matte screen protectors have the same effect. And whether the finish is encased in a central layer, because it'd probably be a bitch to use and maintain if it were on the surface layer.

I think it's because most people don't really put tablets in their pockets where they can easily be scratched. Something like a cover is okay though. The "book" idea is pretty interesting.

When I get my N7, I'll probably just use the flip case everyone's mentioned here a lot.

I kind of find it odd that your skin is rough enough to scratch glass though. Is it really cold where you live or something? I've never heard of that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I don't know how anyone's fingers alone could scratch gadget item glass.

I have a cheap N7 case from eBay, but I'll be getting the Out of Print Books N7 cover they recently finished a Kickstarter for. Should be shipping later this month, I'll give a little review of it if anyone is interested. I wish it had some sort of angled viewing option, but as it is it'll have to be propped up against something to make it angle. But it'll be a cool cover anyway, and wear in over time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it really a surprise that the bargain bin tablets that General_Failure seems to favor have lovely, low-quality screens that scratch from mere finger contact?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

General_Failure posted:

I use them because my fingers scratch the poo poo out of things.

:lol:

Your fingers don't scratch glass no matter how dry they are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

General_Failure posted:

There is no such animal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If any goons have a Nexus 7 and want a nice case, I purchased this one (among many) for my Nexus.

I sold my Nexus, but I still have this case if anyone wants it. I liked it a lot. I'll let it go for just shipping. Let me know if anyone is interested.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If any goons have a Nexus 7 and want a nice case, I purchased this one (among many) for my Nexus.

I sold my Nexus, but I still have this case if anyone wants it. I liked it a lot. I'll let it go for just shipping. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I'm interested! How much are you asking for shipping?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
How is it possible that the pogo pin dock for the Nexus 7 still hasn't been released?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm interested! How much are you asking for shipping?

five bucks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

stormrider posted:

How is it possible that the pogo pin dock for the Nexus 7 still hasn't been released?

Wait, there's supposed to be a dock?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

What else would the pogo pins be for?

As for it not being out, I'm not surprised. Same thing when Google released the Nexus One.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What else would the pogo pins be for?

As for it not being out, I'm not surprised. Same thing when Google released the Nexus One.

I actually have no idea what pogo pins are for. Aren't they not used on the CDMA Galaxy Nexus in the US?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I actually have no idea what pogo pins are for. Aren't they not used on the CDMA Galaxy Nexus in the US?

My buddy's Sprint GNex has pogo pins.

They are most often used for docks (and charging through them).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My buddy's Sprint GNex has pogo pins.

They are most often used for docks (and charging through them).

Oh. I know they're on the Sprint GNex, but I was wondering if they're used. Though I don't even know if the official pogo dock is out anywhere for the GNex so I guess not.

I seem to recall a keyboard or something for the Nexus 7 though. Maybe it's the same thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Accessory support for Nexus devices is terrible. This is universal.

A dock was shown off a few months ago for the Nexus 7, but it has not been released yet.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has Google released any sales statistics on how many nexus tablets they sold since release?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, there were photos of an official Asus pogo dock back when the tablet was announced

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

stormrider posted:

Yeah, there were photos of an official Asus pogo dock back when the tablet was announced

Maybe it'll release soon if this rumor is true:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/04/32gb-nexus-7-shows-up-on-reseller-site-could-ship-october-24/

Second sighting of a 32GB Nexus 7.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
While I can't say with 100% certainty it is most probable the screen on my tablet has a plastic cover. Even with glass though long term abrasion can be an issue. Far moreso if you use a capacitive stylus.

Are there any hard keyboard cases for 7" tablets? I've got one of those lovely "leather" sub $10 ones but a clamshell kind of thing with a keyboard in it would be good. Alternatively just the padded sleeve I already have and a fold out keyboard like the original Palm folding keyboard would be good. I'm sure I saw a generic version of them a few years back. Are they still made?

poo poo. $69 for a bluetooth knockoff of the Palm keyboard. Or perhaps it is from the original tooling. Hard to say, but I don't see the metal parts that were in the original.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 5, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/04/32gb-nexus-7-shows-up-on-reseller-site-could-ship-october-24/

poo poo now I am tempted to return my 16gb and wait for this :ohdear:

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this something that is definitely happening? I'm getting money sometime next week and was going to get a 16gb. Not sure if I should hold out for this(if its true) or just get the 16gb one. I was just going to get it from the local Walmart for ease of return should something go wrong like screen issues but their policy is only 15 days.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

poo poo now I am tempted to return my 16gb and wait for this :ohdear:

If you can get away with it, why not? 16Gb can get very tight very fast if you like games.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

General_Failure posted:

If you can get away with it, why not? 16Gb can get very tight very fast if you like games.

Damnit! I'm kinda hoping this is a wild rumour and nothing else as there's no way I can return mine now without crossing the Atlantic. I'm already way past the point I'd be at capacity with all my purchases installed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm getting the 16GB Nexus 7 from a friend who works at Radio Shack using his discount. Since I'm getting it at a pretty low price, I'm fine with a 16GB right now. If I wanted a 32GB, I'd probably have to buy it at full price as there is absolutely no guarantee that RS will sell the 32GB.

I've been waiting all year for a Nexus tablet and I don't feel like waiting again for a supposed 32GB. If I need more space, I'll sell the 16 and just get the 32 later.

It's the second rumor in two days, one popped up on Wednesday of this week and this most recent one on Thursday of this week. I'd say maybe it's true, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

General_Failure posted:

While I can't say with 100% certainty it is most probable the screen on my tablet has a plastic cover. Even with glass though long term abrasion can be an issue. Far moreso if you use a capacitive stylus.

You can run your finger or a capacitive stylus on a glass screen forever, the glass will not become a victim of "long term abrasion". If you have any kind of grit or gritty dust on your finger or stylus though, that will abrade the glass. A material with a certain hardness (Mohs) number will be scratched only by the same or higher hardness materials.